Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
We've all got them: Peeves. Things that bother, distract, and/or annoy us. At some point, certain things peeve us so much more than normal that they become "pet peeves" and subsequently define who we are.

I'll start:
1. People who zealously stick to the speed limit while driving. Yes, I realize you're following the posted limit and probably feel very holier-than-thou, but let's be honest: Those speeds are created with the lowest common denominator in mind. We're talking about people who are basically high-functioning retards with the coordination/reaction speed of a Lima bean. It's probably not going to kill you to go as fast as other traffic.

2. Slow/oblivious walkers: For some reason, these people especially love to walk in wide lines, blocking the flow of foot traffic wherever they go, and stick to the middle of the walkway, rather than one side or the other.

3. People who try to take pictures of your poo poo without your permission. Here's a great idea: If I leave without flushing it, then you can take a picture of it. But leave me alone otherwise.

4. People who feel obligated to tell you how using Q-Tips in your ears is a bad thing every single time they see you using one. Dude, I've heard it a million times. But look, when I rub the inside of my dog's ear, he lets out a heavy sigh and looks like he's completely in heaven. That's the same reason I jam these Q-Tips into my own ear: Because it feels goddamned good.

Anyway, share your favorite (or least favorite???) pet peeves here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiggum posted:

People who don't follow the road rules. You think you're a good driver and maybe you are, but let's face it, you're probably not, and it saves you approximately three seconds to break that rule, so gently caress you. Follow the god drat rules, you wanker.

Also, drivers who stop to let you cross the road in front of them. If you'd just kept driving, I would have just crossed behind you, but because you stopped I had to stop because you were suddenly behaving erratically and I don't want to get run over. Now you've slowed us both down. Oh, and I'm supposed to be grateful for this? No.

Cyclists on the footpath. I realise that it's dangerous for you on the road, but the solution to that is not for you to pass the danger on to pedestrians. If you feel it's unsafe to ride a bike on the road here, get off the loving bike.

If it were up to me, we'd outlaw bikes because they're complete poo poo in either situation.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

Unironic use of "samesies."

Oh man. Pronouncing "height" as "heighth" (with a "th" ending); "irregardless".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Souvlaki ss posted:

Uninvited guests.
No, it doesn't make it better to call 5 minutes before arriving and say "I'm going to your place now!". gently caress off.
(this particularly applies to family members).

People who take it as a personal insult when they want you to put your shoes on and drive to meet them somewhere right now and you're like...tired and don't want to because it's been a long day. No dude, this doesn't have to be about you. It's just making the whole thing more awkward and painful when the reality is I don't want to put pants back on and drive anywhere to listen to anybody talk about their day...not just you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Calling Yellow Jacket wasps "meat bees".

Calling Crane Flies "mosquito hawks" or "daddy long legs".

Calling pill bugs "potato bugs".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

actually op, speeds are optimized to maximize safety and minimize accidents on that particular road and are the law, and if you break the speed limit you get pulled over by the cops and given a ticket and possibly even have your license revoked.

I've never had a cop catch me, so maybe speed limits aren't so effective after all. Nobody knows the backwoods trails like me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

amityville anus posted:

I have somebody corresponding with terrorists who they love.

This is probably the best explanation of this I could ever imagine.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Since it's relevant, "Daylight Savings". It seems like a lot of people have issues from abruptly shifting the time back or forth an hour, and these issues can persist for days or even a week. Personally, I know that I don't feel too great for a couple of mornings after it happens. It's really loving dumb and you always run into that one jackass who is like, "BUT I LOVE HAVING SUNSHINE WHEN I DRIVE HOME FROM WORK".

gently caress you, dude. We're going to be getting progressively more sun as the days progress towards the Summer Solstice, regardless. You should be grateful for that, and leave the clocks and sleep schedules alone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Why would you assume i meant they were reporting the emergency to you? What world is that? How do you know it's not the police or hospital calling you after 911 has been called?

Again refer to the pro con list. Negatives you're out like...3 seconds.

Well, not necessarily. Like other people have mentioned, the biggest reason I don't answer unrecognized phone numbers is because of the whole telemarketing trick where an answered call is flagged as a valid number to call incessantly and aggressively at all hours of the day for the next 2 to 3 weeks until they move on to the next batch of people to harass.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Having worked as a sales person if I call a number and it's never answered it'd still valid.

If i call and you say no, gently caress you, it is no longer valid.

When you ignore it, it keeps your number as "valid" since they know it's real and has never received a "no".

Oh well that changes everything. Except that no, every time I've answered a call from an unrecognized number that turned out to be a telemarketer and told them to pound sand, I've coincidentally gotten a ton of follow-up calls from other similar numbers in the weeks following the call. And when I don't answer unrecognized numbers from places like CALIFORNIA, USA, then I never have this issue.

Perhaps you worked for a reputable sales company that actually took "no" for an answer and did your job, but many more of them do not and it's a lot easier to screen all of my unrecognized calls than to answer them and suddenly have to deal with 2-3 weeks of whatever bullshit ensues after one of these blind-calling companies "discovers" me.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Mar 10, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

They've discovered you either way. Invalid numbers don't ring.

Perhaps "discovered" was the wrong word to use, but there's certainly something going on where answering the phone causes some sort of switch to flip where you get hit up with a bunch of calls in the immediate future, and not answering the mystery calls doesn't.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Next time a telemarketer calls, politely tell them you'd like to use their service/buy their thing, but you have a court order against you that prohibits you from doing so. Not only will they take you off the call list voluntarily, but they'll be eager to get you off the phone so they can try for a new sucker customer.

Goddrat telemarketing was the worst loving job I've ever done. I'd rather clean public toilets than do that poo poo again

I've heard this before. I think I will try it.

Sociopastry posted:

Tiggum is my pet peeve.

Yeeeeeeesssss :unsmigghh: Let's throw Jastiger on there, too, that dude sucks.

New Pet Peeve: Windows Vista "safely remove hardware"
First you right-click on the icon in the task bar
Then you select the "safely remove hardware" option that pops up
Then you select the specific device (i.e. "USB Mass Storage device") from the window that pops up and hit "STOP"
Then you confirm the affected devices that are to be stopped in the second window that pops up by selecting "OK"
Then you click "OK" on the third window that pops up, which says "The device can now be safely removed from this computer".
Then--even though windows #2 and #3 will close automatically at this point--you have to manually close the original window.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Mar 11, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

When people on the forums go into a topical thread and say something like

"If there is interest, I'll post a really interesting and in depth post about [topic or thread title]".

Goddam, of course there is interest, it's why people are tuned in! Post it!

And it's frequently predicated on some really scandalous opening statement, like:

"So I just recently found out I've been having sex with my birth mom...if there's any interest in this sort of thing, I can go into greater depth on it (but I don't want to hijack the thread)..."
"Actually, as an assistant OSHA inspector, I happen to know that, recently, several pizza chains have accidentally put rat poison in their sauces...if there's interest in this, I can sit down and post everything I know..."
"I discovered a network of hidden cameras scattered across my house that look like they've been recently installed. I'm not sure if I should post more about this (is this even the appropriate thread?) but if people want to see more, I guess I can take some pictures?"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

When people refuse to accept that "consommé" is just French for "consume" and that they have no idea what I'm talking about when I order one of those half-assed "soups" as a bowl of "consume."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jaramin posted:

This is a New York thing, but people who say "on line" instead of "in line." The line is the assortment of people waiting for something folks, not a physical object or a place! How can you be on it dammit? Also it sounds stupid since being "online" has the whole internet connotation now.

Yeah but the line is something created by a social pact--the act of a group of strangers agreeing to stand in a specific arrangement manifests as an invisible connection between the feet of the people standing on opposite ends of the line. In this sense, you are physically standing on the idea of the line. You may stand slightly askew, but the line is still beneath your feet as long as you choose to wait for the same thing as everybody else.

As a matter of fact, surfing the web should be known as "in line", because you are in the web.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Music tracks with "hidden" songs that are separated from the proper song by five or six minutes of silence. Yeah I really want to listen to five minutes of silence when I put my music library on random and it lands on one of these songs. I could make duplicates of the songs and then modify each copy to start/stop where each song begins/ends, but that's sort of a pain in the rear end.

People who inquire about a relatively uncommon problem, but then abruptly follow up with "NEVER MIND, FIXED IT, CLOSE THREAD". And then when you have the same problem as them, Google invariably leads you to a bunch of posts like this, except they're three years old and you still have no idea how they fixed the problem.

People who carry around a photo of somebody they claim to know, but it's really just one of the pictures that comes with a picture frame.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

What kind of weird shop has a foyer?

There are places where the air is so toxic, a sort of "oxygen mud room" is required for grocery stores to safely present uncovered produce to consumers. Where the environment is viciously overpressurized to keep dangerous particulates out of the store, sort of like a reverse Level III+ biosafety mechanism for places where people store anthrax and Bubonic plague. You grab a cart and glance over at a sign--BOGO on chicken tenders--when suddenly your head is wracked with a piercing pain and your sinuses feel like they're about to split open like rotten fruit in a microwave. It's like going from sea level to cruising altitude in five seconds. You yawn and work your jaw until your eardrums snap and the pain subsides. Welcome to Fresno.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Currently it's people using the terms "robbed" and "burglarized" interchangeably, which seems to be a pretty common thing? I briefly freaked out recently when I heard that a couple of neighbors had been robbed in their houses, until I discovered that the houses were simply burglarized. It's still obviously a cause for concern--somebody sneaked into their home and stole their poo poo--but it's not nearly as alarming as "somebody broke into our home and forced us at knife/gunpoint/whatever to give them our poo poo."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I hate it when people stare at me at the gym. I'm not doing anything unusual or spectacular (and I don't grunt, scream, or wear inappropriate clothing, so that's not it), just using the weights and machines the way they're intended. But every so often I'll glance in the mirror and some mouth-breather will just be sitting there between sets, staring. I don't think it's on purpose--a movement catches your eye and you happen to be resting, so you just don't bother to look away after the initial glance. They're not leering or being pervy, just staring, usually with their mouths open. I don't mind if people glance over to see what I'm doing--I've gotten ideas on new moves that way--but after you figure it out, go back to your workout and stop staring!

Like I said, I think it's an unintentional innocent mistake--they probably don't realize they're staring--but it's unnerving after a while. Can I just do my workout in peace?

I've got friends who like to call themselves the "form factor"; they're usually watching the form of other gym members and making sure they're performing exercises safely and correctly. That's possibly what is happening here: You might have lovely form and so you've unknowingly attracted the attention of somebody who has your best interests in mind.

There's this guy, Dunston, who will literally sneak up on gym-goers like a phantom, ambushing people with spots and surprise-motivation. Dude's a machine, and the gym is honestly better off for it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think it's a remnant of the Bush years , when the kinds of Americans who know other countries exist (and that the entire world outside of the US is not some oppressive, freedom-less hellhole) were deeply embarrassed by the president and the overall national sentiment of "if you're not with us 100% you're a terrorist who hates freedom".

A lot of these people seem to be relatively intelligent, but not particularly worldly, and so see the world as it's filtered through American news sources that focus predominately (surprise, surprise) on American news which is rife with all sorts of embarrassing American things. This adds a lot to their edgy pessimism, and they seem genuinely shocked when they discover that the rest of the world is also filled with gossip and absurdity and nationalist shitheads and cultural equivalents of rednecks on rascal scooters. It's just that a lot of the news articles that reveal these universal truths don't typically make it past the country of origin.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

walrusman posted:

I think he means crap like this:

I agree, it's pretty obnoxious.

I've made these before, but I've found that eating the candy inside before you actually place them on the posterboard makes it easier to securely glue the wrappers to the paper (plus you get to eat a lot of candy).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

When you have a spikey rear end booger that tries to stab you in the brain

When you go rootin' around for said booger and your eyes start waterin so baaaaaaaaaaaaad...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

I hate when people tell a story, try to remember a name and then just hang to figure out that name for 5 minutes, even when people go "It's not important" and then still not go on with the story.

I know somebody who does this, but also insists on giving long, semi-incoherent directions to places, even when you ask him to just give you the address so you can have your phone/GPS/whatever lead you there.

I trust Google Maps a hell of a lot more than poo poo like, "It's gonna be two rights...then you'll see a big Japanese Maple, and after a few blocks, you want to make a left on a street that's either 'Bruce' or "Bunce' and go about half a mile until you get to the place where that MacFrugal's was until it closed down before you were born..."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

pussy riot police posted:

On that note, fake pockets are the worst.

As annoying as they are, I'd almost prefer fake pockets over the "pockets" that come with a lot of men's shorts. "Let's sew these pockets into the pants at such a shallow angle that poo poo will constantly falling out of them, especially when you sit down in a car."

I bought a pair of "beat-em-up" Mossimo-brand jeans from Target to wear while I work in the yard. I wasn't expecting much, but I soon discovered that the zipper is somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3rds the length of an ordinary zipper, meaning you can't even pull your dick out of them without unbuttoning the jeans and pulling them down slightly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

People who are compelled to mention liver damage whenever acetaminophen is brought up. Like a pair of Tylenol pills is cyanide or something. Just don't eat them all the loving time, you halfwit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

People who say "could care less." It means the opposite of what you want to say which is "couldn't care less."

"Either way, it's 6 and 1."

It's the strangest bastardization of "it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

When the maggot colony under your scale throw off the reading, so you're actually several pounds heavier than you thought you were.

When my bread becomes infested with spiders. It's Oroweat but I keep buying it because it's so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

HOLY gently caress posted:

The girl upstairs does this, THREE TIMES. Thanks for waking everyone up who might have been working late last night! >:(

A few years ago, my upstairs neighbor would try to vacuum...at 1 AM.