Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oversleeping. It's never the end of the world, and I never miss stuff because of it, but I hate waking up at 12 when I wanted to be awake at 8 or something. It feels like a total waste of time even if I probably needed the extra sleep.

Also, when I ask people what time something will be done because I'm trying to make plans for after I'm done helping them, and they give me one time. And then, the day I actually have to help them, they give a completely different time, totally loving up what I was trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

And related: people who never watch a single NCAA basketball game during the regular season that turn into rabid fans/experts in college basketball during the tournament. I don't know anything about college basketball and acknowledge i'm just gambling by doing these bracket things, I don't put on an act like I know what I'm doing...but with some people, they read one espn article and they can't wait to tell you all about their super-secret ~sleeper picks~.

I know jack poo poo about what teams are good now that I'm out of college, but I went to UConn so I usually just go and put them going all the way when they're in the tournament and then do some random semi-educated guesses.

I have won a surprising amount of money doing that the past few years. :getin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disgusting Coward posted:

My auntie does this. She has one of those picture frames that's, like, a bunch of tiny picture frames stuck together, and all but one of the 16 photos are people she actually knows or is related to. The last is the one that came with the frame, and she takes great delight in seeing what the most outrageous lie she can tell people about it is.

My auntie is weird.

Your aunt is awesome, is more like it. I want to start doing this.

Potholes are the bane of my existence. Every week I drive on a state road that looks like it's been shelled, and I've had them kill two tires in five months. Every time I hit one I swear a little.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anytime "Can You Blame Me" or "Get It" by Matt and Kim comes on the radio, I am filled with white-hot rage. I hadn't heard of them until a few months ago, but holy poo poo, what an annoying voice. And "Get It" sounds like some sort of school project Gene Belcher would make on Bob's Burgers, but played as a legit pop song.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

walrusman posted:

Oh, sorry, I do this. :( It's just a habit; I know it's not a choice but to me it sounds more polite phrased that way.

Being on the recieving end is just loving condescending, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fizbin posted:

When people write "woah" instead of "whoa"

"Weary" instead of "wary" annoys the hell out of me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coolspaz posted:

people trying to sound smart saying "from time x eastern standard time to time y eastern standard time" for the love of god and all that is holy, it's not stardard time anymore, it's mother loving cock gobbling day light savings time, drives me loving insane to see EST all year regardless of time of year to sound smart, it makes you sound loving pants on head retarded :fuckoff:

This drives me goddamn nuts and i thought I was the only one bothered by it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

Personally I'd be initially confused what you're even talking about - I've never seen it as anything but EST and it seems kind of pedantic to want it EDT when everyone understands it means "the time it is in the eastern time zone right now". I've also never seen it used to try to sound smart, it's a necessary thing to include if you're trying to coordinate a meeting/telecon with people throughout the country/world.

Until someone ends up using the time for EST when they should use EDT, which I've seen happen more than once.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate the words "forage" and "cohort" and I have no idea why. They just annoy the living poo poo out of me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
People who write weary instead of wary can gently caress right off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nettles Coterie posted:

How would anyone know that unless they're intimately familiar with that particular light? Lights are usually yellow for a standard length of time, based on the speed limit of the street, yes? Most people can judge, from habit, whether they should keep going through or stop. Some people are idiots/assholes who try to speed through when they shouldn't, or don't pay enough attention. But loving with the timing of the yellow lights is going to gently caress up EVERYONE, not just those assholes, and is obviously going to cause accidents.

I can think of two hosed up lights I drive a few times a day. One has a left turn lane that has a cycle where one set of greens is long and the other is short, the other is just super quick compared to other lights on the same road.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate when people cancel plans and hem and haw and make up a bunch of reasons for it. Just say you can't make it! It's not that hard, I won't be offended if you just text and say you have to cancel. There's no need for a monologue about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

I hate driving chat but that is one that drives me nuts. Don't wait until the last minute to merge or change lanes, do it as soon as it is possible to do it safely. I also hate it when someone is giving me directions somewhere and I ask which way we're turning next and they say "oh don't worry, we still have a mile to go" even though it's heavy traffic. Just tell me so I can get over now instead of being forced to make a u-turn when I can't merge 200 feet before the intersection when you finally decide to tell me.

I almost rear-ended someone yesterday because they sped up to get around my ambulance and then slammed their brakes the second they got in front of me so they could make a right turn. People not understanding large vehicles require more stopping time is one of my peeves.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I work in a town that has the "town" and "village", which are technically two separate entities. Which means that there's a few cases of two roads with the same name in close proximity. Considering a good chunk of my job involves driving an ambulance from point a to point b, this is a major pain in the rear end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When people confuse "heart attack" and cardiac arrest. A heart attack is an interruption of the blood flow in your heart. Cardiac arrest is when your heart stops beating.

Also when people say someone died of cardiac arrest. No poo poo. That's what dying is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You're an idiot, because medical technology can restart a heart if you're in a hospital, so cardiac arrest isn't instant death. So you kinda do have to specify "died of cardiac arrest." Also opposed to death from gunshot, pneumonia, decapitation, etc which can be forms of death not caused by a heart stopping.

Yeah, I know you can restart a stopped heart. I've tried a bunch lately, actually! All of those things you listed lead to cardiac arrest. If a pneumonia patient craps out, the doctors in the hospital aren't going to be like "Oh, well, I guess it was pneumonia!", they're going to work the cardiac arrest. Ditto all of those except for the decaptiation (injuries incompatible with life), but you can bet your rear end that patient is in cardiac arrest. Cardiac arrest is exactly synonomous with clinical death, so saying "he died of cardiac arrest" is the same as saying "he died of death".

You're confusing cardiac arrest with SUDDEN cardiac arrest, which is when your heart just craps out for no apparent reason out of nowhere. Of the four cardiac arrests I've worked this year, only one was SCA.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The electrical activity in the heart's actually done by a bunch of nodes of specialized cells in the heart instead of being controlled by th brain. Shocking someone is more like when your router stops working and you turn it off and turn it back on. Depending on the type of malfunction, sometimes it can work. Sometimes it can't. And if someone crashed a car into your cable hookup, it doesn't have a chance in hell of working.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: hold the press they have a huge selection of booze, I think I can make this work

I go christmas shopping for exactly one person, and they love beer, and I love beer, so we always just swap 6 weird beers every christmas.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I cannot believe people buy LASIK operations on Groupon. What kind of doctor or practice offers discount surgery for your EYES!

Doctors in places you don't need eyes to see?

If it's for surgery on something called the Event Horizon, I advise against it.

(They really just want to be able to book 10 or whatever sessions at once, the guaranteed business is worth it for them, since the number of patients is definitely north of 10k and captures a market that wouldn't go for it otherwise)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stoatbringer posted:

I think the original purpose was simply so that emergency services would know to search the wreckage completely in the event of dealing with a crash. I think there had been a few occasions where unconscious/dead adults had been pulled out of the car but they didn't realise until too late that there was a baby on the back seat as well.

I don't really buy this, since it's harder to miss the car seat than a "baby on board" sign. And if you have the sign and no car seat for your kid, you've got bigger problems.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I ate one pint of Halo Top ice cream and I think it made me constipated. I'm not eating any more zero fat/zero sugar products again.

Usually the sugar alcohol sweeteners they use have an opposite effect. As I learned when I accidentally bought wintergreen breathsavers instead of the lifesavers. I was basically crippled for a day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

One of my pet peeves about myself is that part of me can't stop myself from clicking on lovely clickbait sometimes.

Brain: You don't need to click that, dumbass. You know it'll be bullshit or stuff you already know.
Hand, fingers: Sorry! Can't hear you over our desire to know which celebrity has aged poorly, or what Full House star did something shocking recently! We'll be regretting not clicking on it for an unacceptable amounts of minutes if we don't!

R/savedyouaclick is great for this, especially since now all that clickbait is 30+ slides so you view an obscene amount of ads.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

I'm just really sensitive about people arriving to work on time because I don't get to go home until the next shift gets in, and after I've been working all night I don't want people flouncing in 10 minutes late complaining about the traffic that is there every loving day everyone else makes it in on time why are you the only one you magically runs into traffic gently caress.

When I worked in EMS there were a few people at my agency that did that and it was infuriating. Especially because I could end up on a call that they should have been around to take and get stuck at work for an extra hour and a half. gently caress, man, if you’re always, 100 percent of the time, ten minutes late maybe you should leave ten minutes early! And ten minutes late is closer to 25 minutes late, since most people clocked in fifteen minutes early to check the ambulance/help stop whoever they were relieving from getting stuck on a call.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the job I was talking about where you were expected to be 15 minutes early would pay you from 645-7. Schedule said 7, but you were paid to be in early.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

Everyone in Indiana pronounces jalapeño as jalapeeno and I can't take it.

There are people in Indiana that call green peppers “mangoes”, and this is the thing that stands out to you?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Unless you’re waltzing around either West Point or the grass at Texas A&M, how do you make enough of a douche out of yourself to even get noticed as a non-student on a campus? They’re crawling with people of all ages and conditions and have a higher-than-usual rear end in a top hat and weirdo ratio.

Yeah. At UConn I used to think that a homeless person had gotten on the elevator with me at the math and science building, but nope. It was Physics Phil, notably unkempt PhD student. Dude would have been in the top 10 percent of gross homeless people in most major cities and he never got hassled. What the gently caress are these people doing?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Well it may depend where you're getting it from. Every Starbucks I've had is way too loving hot, every coffee from the Wegmans cafe is lukewarm

Yeah, when I buy coffee from a chain it’s always drat near boiling. And it’s usually been kept that way so it’s burnt as gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

docbeard posted:

I honestly think that commute time should be paid time too.

I have a job that pays me for commute time, but only if I’m going to something at a site instead of the office. It’s a pain in the balls, since sometimes they reschedule me to drive to the office that’s an hour away and I don’t get paid for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Whiz Palace posted:

Kars4Kids changed their radio jingle so it took me 0.3 seconds longer than usual to shut it off.

Is it still the same basic song but just a different recording, or did they totally revamp it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

Having worked a(n admittedly cushier than average) job that worked on this system, that's why I always fill them out and give them 5* down the list.

You’ve gotta be careful with that, though, the one place I worked at would have people leave all five’s... which was the low end of the scale, with one being the highest. At least if we were getting bitched at for it we could usually point to the comments and be like “why would they give us a bottom score and then say how helpful we were?”

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do men trying to look good in photos never smile? It looks better than trying to smoulder like you’re a model.

Lots of dudes end up just looking braindead. Eyes half open, mouth half open, looking blankly to the side.

I never smile in photos because I have some nerve damage that gives me a crooked-ish smile. It's actually kind of hard to notice but I'm pretty self-concious about it. I do at least keep my drat mouth closed in photos though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mycelia posted:

"I'm a paramedic and deal with traumatic stuff so it's fine for me to say slurs!" - a real argument that someone just made with a straight face.

"Saying "you shouldn't say slurs (unless you are reclaiming them for an identity that you specifically have)" is political correctness gone wild!" - This Same loving Guy

luckily he is only a friend of a friend so i don't have any reason to ever talk to him again but jesus loving christ

oh can't forget the classic "If I ask him not to say slurs he will become a nazi!" - our mutual friend

There's a lot of people like that in EMS, and I left the first place I ever volunteered at over it. The place I volunteer at now just fired one of the paid medics because he shared a neo-nazi political cartoon on facebook, so at least some agencies are willing to stamp that poo poo out like they should.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gabriel-Ernest posted:

Related: my boss will sometimes tell me to do things by simply writing “Thank you for [doing thing I haven’t done yet].” It’s not a passive-aggressive reminder — these are tasks I wouldn’t have known about till she told me — she just uses that language as a way to inform me she’s giving me something to do. But it’s not even phrased as “Thank you in advance,” which is strange, and I don’t like it.

The worst way I’ve recently been given a task, though, is by being CCed on an email in which one person tells another person that I’ll be doing something. Take 5 seconds to nominally address me as a human being!

Last year when I was working for an urgent care/occupational health thing I used to be getting ready to leave some on-site testing, take my phone outti GPS home,and see an email “confirming me for” some on-site thing I had never been told about the next day. They were so bad about that theyd often end up having me work 10+ days in a row because neither side of the business communicated regarding my schedule. It was so infuriating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

i don't miss much about living in longview, texas, but i sure as gently caress miss the loving tex-mex

upstate new york has plenty of hispanic people and plenty of them make and sell food -- every farm stand has a small mexican food stand too, now, it seems -- but as everyone likes to point out, tex-mex isn't the same thing, so while i'm glad there are folks sharing their own cuisines with me and those foods are delicious, i still just really fuckin also want some tex-mex

Even just finding good Mexican food that isn’t expensive or playing colonic Russian roulette (which is basically expected at a place called “Taco Shack” but still) can be a pain. There was a good place I used to go to but they closed over the summer because ICE deported a lot of their staff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

the ICE thing has happened to at least two places around here, too (we're not near any taco shacks so i assume we're discussing two separate areas of upstate rn), but fortunately like i said all the farm stands have mexican food stands too so i just go to the nearest farm and buy sacks of tamales. if this is an option near you, try it out

If one of those two places was Mexican Radio, we're talking about roughly the same area. I'll keep an eye out for farm stands with mexican food, though, never really thought to try that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can you find horchata up there yet?

It’s easy to get in NYC and reasonably available in Ontario but upstate is a weird place.

I basically never see it but we're also sadly lacking in proper bodegas around here. I don't ever see it in Mexican restaurants or anything though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lotion Tester posted:

My peeve is the 84 hour work week. I could survive on the wages from 20 hours a week because I have no family to support and the cost of living here is quite low, but this state has no labor laws so 12x7 and 16x7 jobs are the only thing that exist. All or nothing.

Where the hell do you live? Jesus that’s insane.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I worked for Comcast once lemme confirm that the whole setup is to cost you as much money as possible.

There is stupid poo poo like you are automatically charged a huge fee if you need a tech (who is guaranteed just some poor schmuck who hates the job) sent out to do poo poo you wouldn't do yourself.

Except "wouldn't" do in Comcast's mind includes things like being an 85-year-old recent widow needing someone to do a power cycle for them, with their coax cable behind a giant desk, right where a Comcast employee plugged it in, and she being physically incapable of moving the desk.

Or in other words Comcast loves loving techs, customers, and call centre drones alike.

Time Warner hosed me over once with their "free first month". For one thing, I had to wait a month to even get internet installed at my apartment because all the techs were on strike. Not sure why I needed a tech to hook up a modem but they wouldn't just send me the modem.
Then, I never got a bill for them for my first month, which made sense. Free first month, right?
My bill for the second month had a charge for the tech coming, as well as a "late fee" because I didn't pay that during my first month, on account of not getting a bill for my first month and not being told there was a fee for the tech.

They did waive the fee and the late fee when I made enough of a stink on their customer support line, like quick enough it made me think this was a pretty common call and something they just kind of hope people roll over and pay or don't notice but have no real legal standing to be doing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Delivery peeve: sometimes, the delivery app is really on the ball in terms of where your delivery person is. That's awesome.

When it's not, and the app tells you that the delivery person is apparently capable of point to point transport, it's annoying as hell. It's cold out, I need a few minutes to put on shoes and a jacket.

(I think it might be the delivery person's GPS, but I'm not going to ding them on reviews over it, it's just annoying.

Phone app location services are pretty spotty sometimes, even when your GPS knows where you are. I was swiping on tinder last night and it told me one of my friends was 7 miles away... she was in the same room as me, currently on tinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you stop your car to let someone make a left turn against traffic, you are the absolute worst. I know you think you’re being nice, but at best you’re loving up the flow of traffic and have a decent chance of causing an accident. Ditto for waving pedestrians through crosswalks. I had someone do that while I was going through an intersection and the person just went without looking and I drat near hit them.