Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
People using the phrase "late stage capitalism", as if something so insidious and durable is just minutes away from collapse.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think I've ever heard this phrase outside the context of "Can you believe people in [place] use this weird phrase!?"

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase before this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's meant the way one would refer to the late stages of a disease, but I don't know the origin of the term

Maybe, but the term is over a hundred years old at this point and feels more like wishful thinking than a useful description.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Master Twig posted:

This is more the fault of businesses and an environment where taking time off due to illness is punished.

Yeah, though I've seen it happen in places with generous sick leave entitlements.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My least favorite is Pi Day. We get it already, you loving Love Science.

22nd of July is more accurate than the March 14th anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah I never really understood the parallels people were drawing either. Like yeah they are all militaristic societies following the orders of one leader, but beyond that it doesn't really fit. Hitler didn't die because saving the life of his son or because a band of small hairy people threw his ring in the volcano, he died because his empire was falling apart so he shot himself.
What about a fascist leader gaining office by sweeping aside an ineffective Chancellor, who then goes on to use a false flag and vicious purges attack to consolidate power?

The aesthetic choices shouldn't be cast aside lightly either. When you call the enemy troops stormtroopers and have the officers dress the way they do and shoot long sections of the movie like a WW2 film you are implicitly encouraging the comparison.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Master Twig posted:

There's a new trend of responding to offensive or idiotic things on social media with a single sentence phrase correcting it, but with the clapping hands emoji after every word.

It feels like most of the time the correction is good and right, but those clapping hands make it instantly insufferable. It just screams smugness and pretentiousness. People need to stop doing it.

At least it's a good sign to ignore the post.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Sure, I'll be pleased if Lucifer manages to get picked up somewhere else, but it was a bubble show and getting too worked up over a bubble show getting the axe is a waste of energy and effort. To see such waste, wait for it, is a pet peeve. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, etc.
I also am annoyed when people care about things they like.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Peeve: Netflix (and people uploading to Youtube etc) deciding to crop 4:3 content into 16:9. it wouldn't surprise me if they're loving around with 2:35:1 stuff as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

swordfish duelist posted:

Accents are a pet peeve.

Like Americans making "Graham" / "Graeme" / etc into "Gram".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

And some great directors got their start in music videos.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Does that ever work for anyone? I mean first impressions can be wrong easily, but are there really good shows or games that blow rear end in the start but after episode/level __ it is so worth it?
Parks and Rec? The first season isn't good but it's only 6 episodes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There is a reason that WoW includes a level boost with each new expac so that people can jump straight to current content.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doing a raid with random people seems like an extremely hellish experience unless they have made them incredibly easy since lich king.

Yeah, Raid Finder is that easy. It's also boring because of how easy it is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Complex semaphore is ideal for issuing children commands

I know you meant it as a joke but yeah, kids can pick up some basic sign language before they can speak properly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

gently caress taking a 10+ hour flight without reclining seats.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They don't even recline enough that it's comfy though, especially if you're sitting next to a stranger and need to not touch them.

It makes it a bit easier to sleep.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The saucer of Picard's Enterprise is roughly the size of the Pentagon (where ~25000 people work) but the crew of 1000 have to share rooms.

Tiggum posted:

It's a mining ship though. It's probably mostly storage space.

Yeah the largest bulk carriers are ~350m long and have a crew of a few dozen, and the giant Bagger excavators need a handful of people to operate. It's not that weird really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Surely my conversation is more entertaining than that.
Mate we've seen your posts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Isn't astroturf that lovely green carpet?
Yeah, it's fake grass. Hence astroturfing as shorthand for "faking a grassroots movement".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

So like this very very rich trust fund guy running for governor is pretending he's poor and understands what being poor is like? And that cause he knows what it's like, he's gonna ~change~ the poor communities and help them get jobs or whatever?

It's when "Citizens Concerned about X" is really funded and organised by an industry or powerful figure associated with X.

The Tea Party is a great example.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

starkebn posted:

how is the replicator any different to the transporter? I need a new unbroken spine, make a copy of a good one from an old transporter record.

The replicator is less precise and just creates stuff in one spot.

Jury rigging a replicator into a cheap-and-nasty transporter does happen though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

docbeard posted:

There was a pretty good 90s/00s Outer Limits episode that had teleportation that explicitly worked this way (killed the original but created a copy with their memories) that was about what happens when the original, due to a malfunction, doesn't die.

It's also the twist in The Prestige.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Because water doesn't taste like much of anything. It's nice to drink when you're thirsty, but what would you get out of slowly sipping it? You may as well have an empty glass.

Skoling cold water isn't exactly pleasant though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've only ever seen tomato paste in a sachet or a squeezable bottle/tube.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If it's in a big thing here it's generally in a glass jar (which I forgot for some reason), and I'm sure there are cans around. Tends to be sold in smaller, more convenient packages though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

quote:

The ATO has made nearly 159 trips to Sydney's Chinatown in Haymarket
Probably to grab lunch too, one of their main Sydney offices is 5 minutes walk away.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A kiosk is a type of small structure. It can sell newspapers and magazines but it is certainly not whatever nonsense Tiggum is referring to. A kiosk can sell lots of things. Don’t tell me there is another australian here?

We are everywhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yep, you got it. Stop giving people who have no talent a boost by letting them get ad revenue they wouldn't get if it weren't for youtube.

How much do you think most people earn from youtube ad revenue?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I guess I also just use the position of the sun, if it's morning I know that it'll be roughly in the east, south at midday, west in the afternoon
Same, except with the sun in the north (or at night the big black region below the southern cross being south).

Last time I was in the northern hemisphere I spent half a day being every so slightly weirded out by the sun being in the wrong spot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

where they stretch the 16:9 format to fill a 4:3 screen instead of having the normal black bars on the top/bottom.

Generally they cut off the side(s), while sometimes also moving around (panning) in what was originally a still image.

It looks awful for 16:9 stuff and gets even worse at higher aspect ratios.

E: you get the reverse nowadays when people chop the top / bottom off some things that were originally filmed in 4:3 so there aren't black bars on the side. It's loving garbage.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I didn't know this, thanks. That always drove me nuts. I'm zooming in, not loving trying to rotate the thing. Why would you ever want to rotate it?

Because orienting a map so that north on the map is pointing north (and that your direction of travel is facing away from you) is a pretty common thing to do when navigating.

It's what Google Maps etc do when you're getting directions, for example.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Jan 22, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Forward is up" helps on paper maps when you don't have GPS and are trying to work out your location by landmarks.

Brawnfire posted:

Just a small digital readout at the corner of the rearview that says the direction.

I have never seen or heard of that before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I swear I've been shocked more times in the past year than in the rest of my life thanks to toddlers on slippery dips.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

just order things by their generic name instead of brand name. Want some cola of whatever variety? Just say give me a liter of cola. What are you going to do, say "no" when they say "is pepsi ok?"?

That's exactly what I'm going to do, yes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

All you "what's a cheese pizza/never cheese pizza" people need to take a field trip to NYC and get a slice of plain cheese pizza.

Yeah it was okay I guess, cheap but boring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Memento posted:

"anyway, here's the lasagna recipe you were looking for"

A Maple Shortbread Recipe posted:

Shortly after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Streaming services that don't show things in the original aspect ratio, especially when they convert 4:3 to 16:9 by just loving blindly cutting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

but it's a scam. You shouldn't get money for something you'd do anyway. People don't tweet to make money, they do it because they feel like ejaculating their thoughts on to the internet. That shouldn't be monetized. It's worthless content.

People do get paid for being funny, but only because they produce things that make their company money, whether it's a show or a standup act.

imho you should only earn a profit if you are providing a net benefit to society, and lets players and other video game streamers don't. They are a parasite. Making money is supposed to be hard and unpleasant, not fun.

Have you considered setting up a Patreon to pay you for every post you don't make?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress twitter threads. If you have something to say that is a few paragraphs long then post it on any social media except Twitter you dumb bitch.

It works well if you're using a lot of images or links, just not for text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

"You know that, right?" as a line in anything.

"You have to give yourself up... you know that, right?"
"We can't run forever... you know that, right?"

Things like that. It's not natural.

It's great when you want to sound like a condescending arsehole.