Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Concerts with local openers when there are already three or more bands on tour. This is especially common with metal shows, which often are part of huge package tours. I appreciate getting more bang for my buck and finding out more about the local scene, but I don't want to sit through some lovely out-of-place band that's here every week when I'm already standing for hours to see four good bands, and even if I show up fashionably late I don't really want to be out until 2 am on a weeknight and then have to wait forever to catch a bus and/or train back to my apartment because they're running every half hour at this point in the night (this is Chicago--I do drive to some shows but it depends on where it is).

There's one venue in the Detroit area that would do this without even mentioning the locals on the website and it would often start way later than advertised on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

On the topic of opening acts, it bugs me when they act more like divas than the band people actually paid to see. I saw The Decemberists a few weeks ago, and Father John Misty opened. He was... okay. Nothing special, but decent enough music to vaguely listen to while my friends and I talked and got our buzz on. However, the back drop/ projection for his act was a giant "No Photography" sign, and he reminded people several times not to take pictures or recordings of him. I understand why he didn't want that, and I think it's incredibly lame when people go to see live music and then spend the entire show staring at their phone screen while they take potato-quality videos that no one will ever watch. But the backdrop just seemed so incredibly presumptuous. I don't think anyone was planning on it, guy.

Isn't that the kind of poo poo that they tell people before they walk in if it's really that big of a deal to the artist? I guess since he's the opener he doesn't have the power to get the venue to kick people out for it like Neutral Milk Hotel?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who clap for subway performers. Don't encourage them.

Subway performers who perform at like 9am and then make jokes like "guess you haven't had your coffee yet!" when people don't respond positively.

Subway performers who get on a packed-to-the-gills train at 6pm on a weekday and wail on bongos for like ten straight minutes.

Subway performers.

The fact that you can get some kind of license or ID to perform in the station.

Homeless dudes who walk into a train during everybody's work commute and talk for 10 minutes about their plight as if cornering a bunch of tired, grumpy people will work any better than the usual tactics.

People walking through the emergency doors from traincar to traincar and shoving flyers in your face while you're obviously looking deeply at your phone on purpose.

People who pretend to be impoverished/homeless in order to scam tourists while a bunch of actual homeless are sitting on the same block in despair.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who clap for subway performers. Don't encourage them.

Subway performers who perform at like 9am and then make jokes like "guess you haven't had your coffee yet!" when people don't respond positively.

Subway performers who get on a packed-to-the-gills train at 6pm on a weekday and wail on bongos for like ten straight minutes.

Subway performers.

Currently on a train with a woman blowing balloon animals and singing Wonderwall

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Master Twig posted:

I do. :shobon:

Which gets to my pet peeve on dating websites. I hate that many sites give me daily matches with women whom I have literally nothing in common with. I hate that I have to literally send out hundreds of messages to even get one reply, and never get a message sent from a woman who browsed my page. And it's not just me. Every guy I know has had the exact same experience. Everyone I know who says that online dating has been great and gotten them lots of dates is a woman, except for one guy, but even he said he was on for six months and sent hundreds of messages before meeting someone.

:agreed: I figured that finding people on OKC would be super easy because I had heard so many horror stories from female friends that I assumed I just had to be Not a Rapist/Not a Misogynist and watch the matches come flying in. Turns out that every even vaguely attractive woman is so bombarded with messages that it's much more difficult to stand out than I thought. I have gone out a couple of times on dates from there but they didn't work out.

To add to dating site pet peeves:
People who like your profile but then don't respond to messages
People who respond to your first message politely and then go silent (this is even worse than just ignoring somebody!)
People who do BOTH of the above.

gently caress it, I should just get Tinder when I have time. One of my friends is getting married to a Tinder match next year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

The most confusing thing is when a woman messages you and then ignores you when you try to keep the conversation going
Example:

Woman: Hi! How was your weekend?

Me: I had fun. I went to the like with friends. Went swimming, grilled out, etc. Did you do anything fun?

Woman: No.

Yeah, I like when someone wants to know about me but when I try to politely shift the conversation to being about them and the convo dies, that's pretty much dealbreaking. If you're uncomfortable talking about yourself at all than the dating scene might not be for you!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

I VERY rarely got legitimate messages (hey I read your profile you're cool), just creepy old guys and 90000 "u want my dik?" I am female. I must be really hideous :( and I didn't even have an unreadable 1000000 word essay that wasn't angry (ie you cannot date me if you don't call me xe I'm not here to educate u!!!!)

Sad

I can't think of any other content so my pet peeve is guys sending "u want my dic" messages to every woman ever.

:(

The eternal question is "what do they think will happen?"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Some one posts a pic on whatever subforum.

Poster - "I'm the (odd thing in pic)"

It peeves me so much a little bit, when did it start, and why?

I dunno but it led to a goon saying "I'm the guy's three chins" aloud with his non-goon girlfriend and for that I'll always find it funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Also people who try to make a point and their sentence with "so" and then trail off. Example: "Well I don't think that's a good idea, so..."
It's me, I'm this guy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tendai posted:

"Recommand" instead of "recommend"

I didn't even know this was a thing but apparently a few of my loving relatives on Facebook can't spell one word.

I defiantly haven't seen that

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always heard it referred to as "pound," although now I always read it as hashtag.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Females" is only acceptable if you're referring to a group encompassing both girls and adult women or if you're Phil Lynott

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

They moved the Idiots On Social Media thread. I look forward to never finding it again.

what the hell are bookmarks

Although it got moved to the gas chamber for some reason. There was a dumb derail about vegans but it was a few days ago so I don't know why it's just now gassed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

People criticizing the President, specifically on gun control. I've got a gun nut acquaintance that just doesn't seem to get what's going on and is staunchly against any sort of changes in law or regulations for firearms. He complained a short time back about how Obama "didn't hold a press conference to address police shootings". When I asked if Obama should drop everything and have a press conference for every single murder that happens, whether or not it involves police deaths, he could only stammer out a weak "well he should do SOMETHING because this is getting out of hand!"

At the same time, with the recent Oregon shootings, he complained that Obama held a press conference about it to address the incident and other recent shootings. What does the idiot acquaintance pipe up with? "He's just politicizing this for attention, gently caress Obama!"

MAKE UP YOUR loving MIND YOU STUPID SHITSTAIN. People like that drive me up a loving wall, the whole damned if you do, damned if you don't mentality pisses me off. Nothing is ever good enough and everyone waffles back and forth, I'm so sick of it.

Generally when a Republican is in office, these are the people that say it's wrong and unamerican to criticize the president :911:
left-wingers do this too, but not as frequently

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Clocks posted:

Pet peeve, people posting photos of absolutely disgusting critters in this thread. :catstare:

For real though, house centipedes are awful. I already can barely deal with bugs, but these are not only huge (compared to any other bugs I've had to deal with) with way too many legs, but as people have mentioned - fast. I spotted one way across the room once and literally half a second later it had skittered across the floor and under my bed. Yeah I didn't go back into the room until someone else managed to get rid of it for me.

Re: the poster with the complaint about the Adam Levine song lyrics (phone posting so I'm too lazy to quote) - I totally agree. First time I heard the song I was listening to the lyrics and I was all like, "uh no if you went to jail and lost it all today I would probably not stay with you." I guess songs that have a catchy beat but trash lyrics are definitely a pet peeve.
When I was in college there was a centipede in the bathtub but it was sitting still so I thought it might be a mound of hair. I had been drinking and couldn't be sure, so I summoned my housemate's girlfriend, who was sober and a biology major. The following exchange occurred:

Housemate: I'm too drunk to focus my eyes and be sure.
GF: It's definitely a centipede.
*turns on water*
H: That's not working, it's swimming upstream!
GF: Well it probably got in here by crawling up the drain.
Me: :dogbutton:

I took the least relaxing shower of my life after that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

This made me laugh and was a nice breath of fresh air after all the horrifying medical stories.

I thought if another peeve though -- Red Sox fans who think everyone from NYC cares about the Yanks-Sox rivalry.

Boston sports fans are my pet peeve and I've never even lived in the northeast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

This is why the Cubs cannot be allowed to win the world series

Yeah, I'm on the Cubs wagon because I live in Chicago and my primary team is in the AL (also I kind of hate baseball and only keep up with it as a general sports fan, plus there's nothing else in the summer), but since all of their best players are young they could easily turn from lovable losers into The Worst Fans in a few years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People using Buzzfeed-speak in their actual conversations or even social media. I can't help but cringe when someone says "yaaaaas" or "ALL of the (blank)" in real life. My coworker's reaction to the Virginia newscaster shooting was actually "I can't even." This from someone with a career in journalism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

no they will not posted:

-Religious people who say "I'll pray for you"... I mean, not that I don't appreciate the thought, but it's always awkward to pretend to believe in a god just to end an uncomfortable conversation.
Holding back from shouting "YOUR GOD ISN'T REAL" isn't the same as pretending you believe in God jfc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I forgot goons' biggest fear was people being religious at them. Thanking someone doesn't imply you believe prayer works anymore than thanking someone for saying "good luck" implies you believe that you'll have better luck because they wished it for you.

Do you guys also get uncomfortable when someone says "bless you" after you sneeze?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

(Prayer doesn't work, by the way, in case you thought I thought it did. Which I don't.)

(Prayer working, that is.)

But that's the most polite you could possibly be!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The mods hate the IOSM thread so I'll just go here to talk about how much I hate that any date that appears in a moderately well-received movie becomes [Movie] Day everywhere. gently caress Back to the Future Day, gently caress October 3, gently caress Harry Potter's birthday, gently caress May the Fourth and EXTREMELY gently caress The 5th of November.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

The 5th of November is an actual historical event though. :confused: Guy Fawkes (hence the name of that loving mask and yes, a real person) tried to blow the precursor of the British parliament the gently caress up in what became known as the Gunpowder plot.
E: and apart from the masks I've never seen people make V for Vendetta references on that day
Oh man, it's calmed down the last couple of years but I ALWAYS get multiple "Remember, remember, the 5th of November..." statuses, a bunch of people watching V For Vendetta excitedly and in one case someone graffiti'd my college campus with it. I know it's a historical event, but none of these people would give a poo poo if it weren't for that movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Sometimes you just don't want to eat that/go there/try this/or listen to that and it doesn't make the person a dick. Lay off folks that aren't #yolo all the time, millenials.
It's cool I'm a millennial (also my pet peeve is the word "millennial" and general lumping of generations) and I have the palate of a particularly finicky 10-year-old.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Similarly, a lot of Jews are not Zionists. Source: I am Jewish

But I get what you mean. Thinly veiled anti-Semitism is a problem that crops up when criticizing Israel, as does even less veiled Islamophobia that crops up when criticizing Palestine (not even just Hamas).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's kind of nuts how Israel turns otherwise progressive Jews into right-wing lunatics. My Facebook got super Islamophobic out of nowhere last week, and the one person standing with Israel who didn't turn it into "Muslims want to kill us!" dropped a loving #AllLivesMatter on her status about it. I almost said something but she got legit mad at me for making fun of adult Harry Potter fans so I sure as poo poo wasn't gonna touch that issue.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

I found this was super common in my lower-level liberal courses. Actually, there's one now in particular, and a question such as "What does Marshall McLuhan mean by 'media'?" will launch this man into a ten-minute verbal diarrhea attack wherein he will, with no irony whatsoever, use the expression 'new world order'. It's irritating. I'm only in undergrad, but at least upper-level history seminars end up being ten tired looking nerds who don't want to say anything, and when they do, they're usually succinct (and correct).

If only the real McLuhan would appear to say "You know nothing of my work."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who describe themselves as the "sarcastic" or "sassy" one in the group. Often they're neither of those things, and usually just annoying. In general it's stupid to try to ascribe some wacky friend archetype to yourself. It's like giving yourself a nickname.

On the same note, whenever a girl makes her profile picture a pic of herself making the Dreamworks face (or even just a close up of them doing anything other than widely smiling) and immediately dozens of people comment on how amazingly sassy it is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thankfully I haven't heard that since high school (and I was shamefully one of those people in middle school, where it should stay).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tendai posted:

When I'm hungry as gently caress but nothing sounds good so I just sit there getting more hungry and irritated.

Yes. I think I was ruined by my family because my mother frequently forced us to go out because a) she doesn't really cook and b) she works at home and was always either stircrazy by dinner time or would go out on a lunchbreak with me when I was home on weekdays. Now that I'm on my own and can't afford to go out several times a week I get really sick of my own groceries.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Drive thru liquor stores also exist in Ohio.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

liquorlanche posted:

American born and raised. Funny how I remember covering the imperial system for multiple weeks, back in grammar school and I still don't loving know or care. I think we spent one, single morning on the metric system and I got that poo poo down.

Without Googling, I couldn't, for the life of me, tell you what a quart is.

I'm also positive the NFL is responsible for everyone knowing how many feet are in a yard. Without American football, I bet about 80% of the people who know that 3 feet = 1 yard wouldn't actually know that.

I mean, we do have yardsticks here.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

People changing their Facebook avatars to show support for some cause. Half my friends list at the moment have either rainbow or French flags. What are you even trying to communicate with that one? Are you clarifying that you think terrorism is bad?

It's a harmless gesture of support you goony goon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

im full of poo poo posted:

Who's it for, though. Only your other Facebook friends see it.

When I see it it just looks like

Henchman of Santa wants you to know he knows what happened in France & he's sad about it. He wants to remind you of this every time he posts

How would you know if the other person doesn't have any French friends or ties to the country and more importantly, why would you care? I just don't understand the thought process behind that being bothersome. My entire feed has consisted of slapfighting from people who are ostensibly on the same side of the issue over loving innocuous flag filters.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Or maybe they genuinely feel worse after seeing Paris in person and aren't actually trying to humblebrag? It seems like all of the people mad about filters are projecting motivations onto everyone else.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have pretty good roommates for the most part but a couple of peeves:

1. Neither of them change the toilet paper ever. They just leave empty rolls on the stand, and if you put a backup one on the toilet they'll just take from that regardless of if there's paper left on the current roll or not. I don't understand this at all. It's even worse for me because I have a colon disease, so when I've gotta go (especially in the morning) I'm sure as hell not gonna pause to go to the closet in the kitchen and grab a new roll before I sit down to do my business. I need that tissue right loving then and there.
2. One of my roommates has podcasts blaring from his phone all the time, just walking around with yesterday's local sports talk or Regular Car Reviews spilling out at any possible hour of any day. Sometimes he also watches stuff on his laptop at 3 or 4 in the morning (he's a bartender so his waking hours are odd) in his room, which shares a thin wall with mine. He's a good enough roommate to turn it down if I ask him, but motherfucker if it's 4 am put on some drat headphones.

Unrelated peeve: when Chrome suddenly goes into "Aw, snap! Something went wrong mode" (like it did right before I started typing this post). Why do you have to kill the page immediately, Chrome?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

They can't, because changing the roll is one of those things you learn in Adult 101 and they never took the class.

I must have been in an advanced course because I learned that in Early Childhood.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

"bass tabs" consisting of just... chord notation. for tracks that obviously have bass riffs. At least tag it "lovely cover band down at the local watering hole version" if that's what you're writing down

I have a lot of bass tab pet peeves but I've never seen this in my life

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

It makes me a little uncomfortable when a guy leaps out of his seat to offer it to me on transit, honestly. I'm young and perfectly able-bodied and sometimes standing is even more comfortable. If I visibly needed the seat, or if I had a ton of packages (which would make me the dick because honestly just call an Uber at that point), or if I were in a cast or something, sure, but I have to wonder if these guys would be so dramatically gallant if I were an old man or a tired pregnant woman.
I had a complete random male stranger tap me and give me a "come on!" look when an unrelated woman came on the train with a purse and I didn't immediately give up my seat (which she declined when I offered anyway). How do you reach a point of such extreme wannabe chivalry that you try to control the acts of strangers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RabbitWizard posted:

People telling a story and then getting stuck/wasting time on remembering useless details.

Me: "Hey, where's your phone?"

Normal person: "I braked for a bunny running over the street and that made some soda spill over my phone. It's broken."

The people I'm talking about :
"Man, 4 days ago...or was it 3? When was Thursday? Well, Thursday i was driving to visit my brother, you know Tom? The one who married that Asian 2 years ago? What was her name? Rikuchu? Rickachu? I think something starting with Rik....do you remember her? Do you? DO YOU? Yes, alright, so i was driving to see my brother, i used my other car, do you know it? The blue 1996 Volvo. Or was it a 1998? I think it was a 1998. So i was driving out of the city, you know the street that goes a really wide left first and then there's that blue single house? Before the forest? There's a pretty nice place for barbeque's there, we should go there some time. So i was driving there ok i can't any more

This is my mom. She is the worst storyteller in the world because she includes every detail and goes on a tangent every other sentence.