Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People who don't understand shift work schedules even after you've had them for years. And somehow late afternoon/evening work schedules break people's brains worse than straight-up night shift.

It's especially annoying when I go to visit family. No, I didn't leave for my 5 hour drive to your place at 9am. Because I was just barely waking up half an hour after that. You're doing the equivalent of me expecting you to be out the door and on the road at 4am. Only worse, because I had to work the night before so there was a hard limit on how early I go could to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Wheat Loaf posted:

One sort of trivial thing that mildly annoys me is when musicians name someone as an influence but it's completely indiscernible in their music.
It's easier once you accept that "influences" is code for either "the artist likes these bands" or "the artist thinks listing these bands as an influence makes them look cooler".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
People who treat speed bumps like stop signs. It's especially annoying since my apartment complex makes you go over a few to get in and out.

Your car's not going to explode if you go over the bump at 10mph! You don't need to crawl over it at 2mph! If you went a bit faster it'd actually be smoother since your suspension can do its job properly; you're not accomplishing anything by acting like you've never seen a speed bump before. :argh:

Meanwhile the actually dangerous part of driving through here, a sharp S-bend with poor visibility, doesn't have a speed bump anywhere near it, so people gleefully blow through it at 30mph(and panic if there's someone coming the opposite way, because it's narrow enough that everyone defaults to driving down the middle of it). It's only the straight sections with perfectly fine visiblity that get speed bumps.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

The word "innovation" can eat a dick by the way.
So can "sharing economy". You're not sharing poo poo, it's just poorly paid contract work dressed up with techbro lingo.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Peeve: The forums are doing the "last post is invisible until someone else posts" thing again.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Brawnfire posted:

Who pulls out a checkbook at the express checkout lane?!? You had six items for less than twenty bucks, do you really need to do this?
I'd ask who even carries a checkbook with them, but I'm guessing this was a 5000 year old crone.

Tangentally related peeve: Landlords that charge a fee for paying online. gently caress you, you're the only reason I have checks anymore. :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FluxFaun posted:

Or they insist on paying in EXACT CHANGE but all their change is in a tiny coin purse somewhere inside their enourmous bag/backpack and then they gotta slowly, excruciatingly count out pennies and- oh no! looks like they didn't have exact change after all, haha! Can you break a 100? No? well, can I just leave my items here while I go to the atm?

honestly people are such dicks
The day cash is eliminated entirely can't come soon enough. It's a huge pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

The only reason I need access to a physical bank branch is to get quarters to feed the apartment laundry machines. I rarely go anywhere you need cash to pay because they don't take cards. Even the local 'extra-cheap because you can't use credit cards' grocery takes debit cards.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There are starving children in Africa who don't have the luxury of paying $10 to post on a comedy forum, you monster!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

yeah I eat rear end posted:

ERs should be able to be more discriminatory in who they will treat. A poor with no insurance but has a legitimate medical problem? Yes, they should still be seen. But addict number 50000 of the day that stabbed themselves with a fork to get some pain meds? Send them back out to the street, no treatment offered.
There's several problems with that. Two big ones off the top of my head:

1) In the US, ERs are required at least do a screening to determine if a medical emergency exists. (And to treat the medical emergency if it's determined one exists) In practice, they'll generally do more than that, because caregivers are very interested in not being sued for missing something.
2) Where's the cutoff for when we decide you're a waste of time? Who decides what the cutoff is? What, if any, consequences should there be if the person had a legitimate medical problem and they were turned away because it was assumed they're just trying to get pain meds? People don't stop having real health problems just because they're junkies. Or if they're falsely assumed to be junkies, which is a real problem thanks to people overcorrecting in the face of the opiate epidemic.

Also, if someone's a pain med frequent flier, the ER staff's already taking that into account when treating them.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed. Let them buy regulated opioids and live a half-decent life while taking pills instead of crashing between using and withdrawing.
This would make life easier for everyone, but it's probably not going to happen when even legal weed is a huge uphill battle.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

From their perspective my peeve is people who take way too long to start the car after they get in. You assume they are going to be a normal person and get seated, put the belt on, maybe set up your phone for google maps, turn on the radio and go. Shouldn't take more than 30-60 seconds. But some people start checking themselves out in the mirror, browsing something on their phone, etc for several minutes.
I'd rather have them do that poo poo while they're parked than while they're driving.

DontMockMySmock posted:

My pet peeve for crowded parking lots is the rear end in a top hat who sits there with his blinker on for three minutes to try and get in a spot, but the car they're waiting for isn't even in reverse yet, and meanwhile four more parking spaces open up in the adjacent rows but I can't get to them because of the blinky gently caress in front of me. Just keep moving!
These ones are always hilarious. So are the ones that circle the lot & pass up numerous empty spaces until something close to the store opens up. You're wasting more time waiting for The Perfect Spot than you would if you just used the first empty one you found. Good job. :thumbsup:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Would you prefer people bold it, or is any emphasis a peeve for you?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Peeve: The concept of winter.

Snow sucks. Ice sucks. Slush sucks. Cold sucks. The wind somehow seems to blow from every direction at once whenever you're trying to clear snow off something. Later this week we're going to have a day where goddamn high temp is -14F.

If I didn't have to go outside for work and food, I'd probably just hibernate for three months and avoid all that bullshit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
People who don't understand how to be a good dog owner in general.

No, you shouldn't be terrifying your dog into submission. The "alpha" thing is bullshit. Cesar Milan is bullshit.

No, you shouldn't be leaving your dog outside most of the day because you don't give enough of a poo poo to interact with it. Why do you even have a dog?

No, it's not "mean" to train it at all. It's cruel not to train your dog at all, because dogs appreciate having structure in their lives and interacting with their owners. And it's not loving cute when your dog is constantly begging for food, jumping on people, being destructive, etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Or semi-related items that are blatantly not what you're actually looking for. I'm looking for (thing), not the optional $7 accessory that goes with (thing).

This is why every store needs to let you set a minimum price as well as a maximum.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Andrast posted:

Wait, why?
And whose job is it to roam the parking lot looking for people parked "incorrectly"?

Memento posted:

I work at a gold mine, and every car park is reverse-parking only. It's so that if we have to evacuate, we're not waiting on people to back out.
I sort of the see the point, but it still seems dubious. Backing out of a parking spot doesn't take that much longer, especially since in a situation like that you'd have to be watching out for tons of people driving by anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Forgetting something at the grocery store checkout, not noticing until you get home, and having to awkwardly go back to retrieve it since you paid for it and it's the principle of the thing. It's only happened twice in my life and was equally annoying/embarassing each time.

Silver Falcon posted:

Clothes that are handwash only. Ain't nobody got time for that poo poo!
My favorite is when I notice something is supposed to be handwash only after I've already sent it through the washing machine a couple times.

Makes you wonder how important the handwash-only is supposed to be. :thunk: (To be fair, I wash everything in cold water only and usually line dry, which is less rough on clothes to start with)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
IIRC old clothes dyes used to bleed a lot more, and the 'don't wash colors with whites' rule hasn't changed to reflect that dyes suck less now.

Most color bleeding happens in the first couple washes anyway, so if you really care you can just wash something individually the first few times. But I don't, and it's been fine, so :v:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My mother: Complains about people who come to a halt right after entering a store.
Also my mother: Comes to a halt right after entering a store to arrange her purse and shopping bags just right on the cart.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If I see someone on their phone in public, I start a loud monologue about how millennials :argh: have been ruined by cell phones and social media, and back in my day people actually talked to each other, and they got real news from a newspaper, and people had actual attention spans, and :bahgawd:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

rodbeard posted:

I had a pedestrian who wasn't paying attention run into my stopped car with enough momentum to do a weird roll over my hood. People need to look up from their phones every once in a while.
Bold defense argument but I'm not sure the jury will buy it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People who make fun of vegans in tyool 20 loving 19
People in general who get way too worked up about what other people do and don't eat/drink. Especially when it involves someone not eating or liking something that 'everyone' likes. It's treated like a personal attack for some reason instead of a taste difference, even for food/drink choices that don't have an implicit morality attached.

I don't like steak. I don't like beef in general. No, the problem isn't that I've never had steak cooked properly. I just don't like the flavor. You can have all the expensive cow meat you want, I'd rather have chicken or pork.

People who don't like chocolate apparently get poo poo on for that, especially if they're women. Why should anyone care? More chocolate for the rest of us.

Booze has a weird contingent of people out to get tough guy points by only drinking beer and hard liquor and making fun of people who drink anything else.

Some people get snobby about 'authentic' food. Yes, I know most american chinese food isn't authentic chinese, but I also don't really care as long as it tastes good.

Just stop. If the other person's food preferences aren't affecting you at all, why do you even care?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Or "X started typing something, but then got distracted by their cat knocking poo poo over/their food finishing cooking/an actual live person with them starting to talk to them".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Slang changes over time. It makes old people roll their eyes at the young people mangling language while young people roll their eyes at the olds having a stick up their rear end. It's the circle of life.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's the old pipe dream of going to Hollywood and becoming famous, except now you don't even have to leave your house to do it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Making money is supposed to be hard and unpleasant, not fun.
My peeve of the day is this sort of attitude.

Suffer because it's what you're supposed to do. How dare you want to not suffer. Everyone must suffer as I have. If people don't suffer in the ways I have, then all the mental gymanstics I use to get through the day will come crumbling down.

It's ridiculously petty and spiteful, and counterproductive to making life suck less for everyone as a whole. Having to do hard and unpleasant things to survive is not a virtue.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Youtube videos that pop up with related/suggested videos in the last 10-ish seconds. Especially when the actual video is still going and it's not just credits or whatever. I do not, and never will, give a flying gently caress about those.

Same with the poo poo that pops up when I pause the video. If I was done watching, I'd close the tab or go to another page. I'm never going to click any of those suggestions because I'm not done watching this video. That is the worst time to suggest poo poo to me, youtube.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s the specific namedropping that annoys me. You can get american chocolate that doesn’t have that Special Flavour. You can get lots of foreign chocolate in the US too. But nope, it has to be the one massive well-known company that’s famously got Hershey manufacturing its US product.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i've been trying to convince people for years that "american cheese" isn't all kraft singles, and is actually incredibly delicious. sometimes i need cheese to melt properly, and cheddar tends to get oily
Look, it's really hard for people to understand that America is a big place and we have options outside of the cheapest poo poo in the Wal-mart grocery section. That goes triple for people who aren't American themselves.

Incidentally, non-Americans assuming that Hershey's garbage is only chocolate from America is an ongoing peeve of mine.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Speed bumps are not stop signs. Your car is not going to explode if you go 5-15mph(depending on bump type) over one instead of screeching to a halt and then going up to the hair-raising speed of 1mph.

Speed bumps are already lovely bandaid solutions put in place instead of properly designing residential roads to discourage high speeds(but people freak out at the idea of narrowing roads/removing lanes/adding on-street parking/generally designing roads for the speed you want people to go, instead of making them nice and big and gently curved because that makes you feel 'safer'). Stop making them worse by making it impossible to predict what the car in front of you is going to do in response to one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SubNat posted:

Are insanely loud barky dogs part of owners being bad at training their dogs, or just an aspect of some dogs?
Who knows! Because most dog owners take any critique against their dog's behavious as a personal slight and is immediately defensive over it.
I like dogs as a concept, but in practice most dogs are understimulated balls of energy and noise owned by people who view them more as decorations than as actual living creatures that want care, attention, and stuff to do. And then the predictable results of an untrained animal bored out of its mind(constant barking, destroying stuff, acting aggressive towards people) is handwaved as 'dogs being dogs'.

The worst is dog owners who think bad dog behavior is cute and that training them properly is somehow mean. No, it's not cute when Fluffy jumps on people or begs for people food, gently caress off with that poo poo. No, it's not mean to train Spot, in fact your dog craves the attention and bonding that training him would bring. Learn about the needs of your goddamn pets before you get them!

While I'm on the subject of terrible pet owners: Keep your drat cats indoors. A purely indoor cat does not miss or crave the outdoors at all. Putting a cat outdoors just means it's going to murder all the local wildlife & risks your cat mysteriously disappearing one day because it got hit by a car/eaten by a coyote/taken in by someone who thought it was a stray. If you think your cat is bored indoors, you need to play with it more often. Cats aren't decorations either, and they like interacting with their people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Brawnfire posted:

There is NOTHING I hate more than someone explaining why a policy/rule/law exists in their rationale for why it shouldn't
But it's inconveniencing meeeeeeeeeeee.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'd occasionally read tweets/posts/whatever from people who don't think dishwashers get dishes clean(so they'd basically wash their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher to wash the dishes again), and was confused every time.

Now I realize that apparently a lot of people are just bad at dishwashers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also the mobile-ization of the internet meaning increasing amounts of design decisions that annoy you if you're browsing on desktop.

I don't need the top bar of the site to follow me down as I scroll. I'm not going to be confused and alarmed if I have to scroll back up/hit the home key to get to whatever links are up there. I especially don't need your stupid loving autoplay video to follow me down after I've already rushed to pause it. I don't need your site's articles turning into an infinite scroll instead of the page being allowed to just end, either.

At this point adblock is for squashing dumb page elements as much as it is for blocking ads.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:43 on May 16, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Joey Freshwater posted:

People think that because they're smaller dogs and you can just pick them up or whatever they don't need any real training.
This is 99% of my problems with dogs in general. People don't want to train their dogs properly and then are surprised when people who aren't Dog People don't appreciate being jumped on/barked at/raced around/etc, or don't understand that their perfect angelic being of light might seem intimidating to someone not familiar with the dog(and who knows enough dogs are poorly trained that they don't believe the owner when they go FLUFFY IS HARMLESS TRUST ME HE'S JUST TRYING TO PLAY).

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I mean there's definitely some room for consideration on all sides, especially since it was explicitly an off-leash trail (and I assume openly advertised as such; if this dude didn't actually have any reason to know there'd be dogs running free that changes the calculus a little too).

Ultimately though it's your job as your dog's owner to not let your dog become anyone else's problem. If you can't do that with your dog off its leash, don't let it off its leash.

He totally shouldn't have kicked your dog but panicking when a dog you know nothing about runs into you is not an unreasonable thing either.
And this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the off-leash dog. You know your dog is just trying to play, but this guy doesn't know your dog or what it's intending to do to him. And it's an off-leash trail so he should have expected dogs running around, but dumbasses bring aggressive/poorly trained dogs to those a non-zero amount of the time so he can't trust that any given dog means him no harm.

e: I guess my overarching peeve is dog owners who don't take any responsibility for their pet and who think other people are the problem if they have any degree of negative response to their dog's behaviors. Sorry, your pitbull puppy chewing on people's shoes while they're wearing them isn't cute, and it will become a serious problem if you don't train your loving dog. Stop acting like other people are overreacting if they bring this up. (the family friends that did this thankfully surrendered the pup after realizing that maybe getting a young pitbull for their 80 year old grandma wasn't a great idea?)

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 23:05 on May 18, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My peeve is when people launch directly into questions without saying 'hey' or something first, so the first half of the question is lost to the wind before my brain starts paying attention.

Luckily it's usually pretty easy to guess what that first half was based on context, but still, stop assuming the entire world is listening 100% to you and nothing else the instant you open your mouth, people.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'll take just about anything as long as it's not people calling their pets fur babies/their children/etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Next you'll be telling me Medusa is a specific snake-haired lady who turned people to stone and not an entire category of snake-haired ladies. :jerkbag:

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Jun 14, 2020

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

when harry potter people talk to you in the assumption that you have read/know about the books and movies when you dont

its annoying when youre an english teacher and one of your dumber colleagues starts babbling to you about how theyve made an assignment about how "snape" kills "dumbledore" or whatever and asks your opinion and i have not read that stuff nor do i care about it. just because i studied english doesnt mean i have a boner for shakespeare either by the way
People do that with any sufficiently big media franchise. TV shows get it worst - no, I haven't watched Seinfeld/GOT/whatever. Stop making references like they mean anything to me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Iron Crowned posted:

I've got one. People who wait well past the last minute to change lanes then start trying to get your attention to get in front of you. Bitch you had two miles to get over, you should have done it then, like I did.
In general, people who make their lack of route planning/awareness your problem.

Sorry, I'm not going to screech to a halt to let you in because you just now realized you need to turn. You can turn around at the next gas station or whatever like the rest of us.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
99% of people being "nice" in traffic is unsafe(because they're encouraging everyone to ignore right of way and also making it impossible for the cars around them to know wtf they're doing), pointless(because they're holding up multiple people to help one person who'd have gotten a gap eventually anyway, and if they're NOT holding up multiple people then the other car could have just turned in behind them anyway), or both.

My least favorite is when there's a gap I've identified and am prepared to turn into before someone tries to be 'nice' by slowing down for me, instantly obliterating the gap behind them & wasting my time because I'm not about to turn in front of someone when a)I don't know what they're doing, and b)they likely now have cars whipping around them.

Just loving go, you're causing more problems then you're solving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
90% of phone calls that aren't my weekly Being A Good Son call to mom are 'we want specific information A or are reminding you of thing B' calls and would be better replaced by text messages/emails. Especially since I work an off shift so I'm likely either asleep or working when non-family members call me.

Yes, I am aware my dental appointment is coming up. You're a big chain of dental offices, surely you could set up text reminders/confirmations?

Disgusting Coward posted:

Every time my phone rings, I just answer it. Doesn't matter if I recognise the number or not, because I'm not an evasive child, no spook has ever jumped through the phone at me, and if it's someone I don't want to speak to I am capable of steering the call to its conclusion.
I hardly ever get robocalls anymore and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I never, ever answer them. Responding to spam in any context is a good way to get put on a 'this dipshit actually responds to stuff from phone numbers/email addresses/etc they don't recognize, send more their way' list.