Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is annoying how all the bananas are always gone from the office fruit basket by the time I get there. :(

I'm very quick and close to the fruit and am definitely part of the reason why the bananas are gone first. If we happen to be at the same company, I'm sorry :(

It's annoying that they insist on putting oranges/apples in the basket, which are always left for last and sometimes not eaten at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tiggum posted:

First-person video games where raindrops hit the screen. That's meant to be my eyes. How are raindrops hitting and running down my eyes? That's not a thing that can happen.

Still kind of annoying in third-person games because it gives the impression that there's supposed to be a physical camera there when there really shouldn't be, but at least not as dumb as in first-person games.

Same for lens flares. Eyes do not work that way!

It's acceptable in like, halo or metroid prime, where there's a visor, but the lens flare is still wrong there.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The Mighty Moltres posted:

By accident while playing.

Unless this took place in an explicit "off-leash dog play pen" or something, your dog being able to accidentally reach another person is your fault?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I guess to some extent the problem is that some owners interpret "off-leash area/trail" as meaning "your dog can do whatever". You are technically allowed to have the dog not on a leash there, but you absolutely must be in control of the dog still. If your dog does not stop what it's doing when you tell it to stop, it must be leashed everywhere.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I keep seeing people putting the dollar sign after the number: like 20$ instead of $20. Small thing but it really annoys me. You've been seeing prices everywhere, all the time, your whole life. How does your brain completely ignore a lifetime of information and put the dollar sign at the end?

Yeah as a non-american I would write 20$, because that's both how we say it and also how we write it for our currency. Do you know if there's a reason you put it before?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I don't know if this is some innate difference or something with what you learned as a kid, but my experience, and this thread supports it, is that those who think in cardinal directions can't really grasp not having a clear sense of them (see: tiggum) and those who don't can't really understand the opposite. Even learning an obvious trick like the sun, or "famous landmark you can probably find is north" won't help, because you have to internalize it for it to be useful.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

oldpainless posted:

Beer that doesn’t have the alcohol content on the can

Isn't that just illegal? It would be here

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Relatedly, my peeve is new years resolutions. People who go "next year I'm gonna start X". If you had the willpower to change something about your life, you would've done so immediately rather than starting by putting it off. Just do the thing now! Maybe your resolution can be to continue, or just don't involve the number on the calendar in your decisionmaking.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I have several times had installers select a language bases on my IP, with no option to change it. English OS, a browser that only reports English as accepted language, an exe downloaded from their .com site, launch it, and it's in Swedish. I had to disconnect my network to get the already downloaded installer to launch in English. Great design! No one with a Swedish IP could ever want things in English! It's been a couple of years now so I don't remember exactly which did it, but I had or happen several times. Took me ages to come up with the solution the first time.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah my office firewall goes through various places, so when I'm working from home on the VPN I get results/ads in Romanian or German randomly, despite doing everything I can to scream "English please!" At the world.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Our, admittedly unofficial, policy is that you're expected to be available for meetings from 9 to 12, then 13 to 15, and then again 15:30 to 16 for emergencies (can't interrupt the fika). Earlier or later than this would raise eyebrows and anyone clicking "can't make it" despite their calendar not having anything in it would not be asked to explain, we'd just find another time or go without them. Meetings after lunch on Fridays are unheard of.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I went from 3-5 meetings a day to 0 at the start of the month. Night shift rules. I actually have time to do my job now!

If attending the meetings wasn't "doing your job", why did you?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

docbeard posted:

:) "Hi."
:) "Messaging you now so I don't forget."
:) "Sorry this is so early."

Me: WHAT DO YOU WANT

Our IT department does this all the time. They write "Hello" and then stay silent until you respond, and then start writing their actual question. And that's if they even bother trying. I've had so many tickets commented with "could not reach them on teams" with no communication attempted, probably because I was away or busy and that means you can't leave a message I guess

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I consider carrying a utility knife, big folding knife or multitool to be extremely common and standard, but I'm also an engineer who works closely with the "run cables in server room" IT guys and I do sound/lights volunteer work for a student musical theatre thing, so the people I hang with are maybe not entirely representative.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Anyone who refers to it as their everyday carry is wrong and insufferable. A good multitool is something I carry every day, but it's not part of my "EDC" or whatever, it's just a useful tool.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Unfortunately, this is how you get cheap and fast delivery to the door. The only way to fix this (I mean, apart from worker protection laws, but I assume this is in the US) is to opt out of express home delivery when it is provided by companies that do this, or boycotting the retailer when not given an ethical option. Neither of these are very good or always realistic options.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Silver Falcon posted:

I HATE programs that act like they're smarter than you, particularly when they insist on formatting things a certain way when you tell them REPEATEDLY not to loving do that.

Excel in particular. I am having white hot steaming RAGE at Excel right now because I need dates in a specific format for bureaucratic bullshit and Excel keeps. loving. changing them!

I HATE THIS.

I have this problem in word/teams all the time at work. Me pressing enter and a space does not mean I want a numbered list, it means l want a line break and a space! Me selecting some text and pressing ctrl-c does not mean I want to copy the entire message with name and timestamp, it means I want to copy the text I selected! This seems obvious to me but apparently it's not.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In the same vein, people who deny snoring. You're always asleep when you do it, how would you know? I'm pretty sure I have ears.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Killingyouguy! posted:

it's 2021 how haven't we invented WYSIWYG networking yet?
I want to drag a line between two circles, maybe add some symbols, and have it create me a rule about what traffic can go between two subnets
not write an iptables rule which are for the absolutely deranged

Uh, if we do that, the network consultants (from the switch company) wouldn't be needed to get a loving vlan working, and we can't have that can we?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

KozmoNaut posted:

It's even worse than that. Tres is short for tresindstyve, meaning three times twenty.

So halvtreds is short for halvtredsindstyve, so half three times twenty, but it's only the last twenty that is halved, because reasons.

Still not as bad as French. Four twenty ten nine :frogout:

It works the same as for clocks, where in Danish you don't say "half past five", you say "half six", which is not three, but halfway to six from the previous number. Halv tredsintyve is just "half of the way to tredsintyve (from the previous number with a name)".

Makes perfect sense, unless of course your brain is functional.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Gort posted:

People who use acronyms without ever saying what they stand for

Ikr, itw, tsbs.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think there are enough beans with enough diversity that they simply get to be categorized as "beans".

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

FFT posted:

There are only three categories of things, of which "vegetable" is one.

Yeah. Vegetable, bean, other.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

erosion posted:

This brand name is perfectly fine, language changes over time. And if you think it's dumb, you're wrong and possibly bigoted.

His and hes would also be acceptable.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Rabbit Hill posted:

Re: the last two pages — some of you don’t have ADHD and it shows. :smuggo:

But seriously, as someone with ADHD, I can tell you that as irritating as you may find us with our perpetual lateness, losing things, bad memory, etc…..you at least get a break from us whenever we’re not around. We never get a break, because it’s a neurological disorder, so we have to deal with this poo poo 24/7/365. Medication helps (when you can find one that works for you) but doesn’t perfectly control every symptom and makes some things worse (like multi-tasking).

My ADHD-related pet peeve: I’m playing Stardew Valley, and the ADHD comes out even in this fictional microcosm. I’m always wasting time running around my farm because I forgot to bring something with me or to check on [x thing] before doing [y thing], or I get so lost in a task I forget to make it to a festival or to give an NPC a birthday gift before they go to bed. Etc. So I have to schedule my day in the game like I do IRL: I have a farm chore routine I don’t deviate from, and I have to have chests sitting all over the place with extra supplies, so I don’t have to run all around the map because I forgot something. I even keep a notebook on my desk where I write out to-do lists for the game with daily and long-term goals, shopping and materials lists, and the important dates in each month.

Typing all this out makes me wonder why I find this game fun.

And I STILL forget things, lose track of time, blow money on impulse purchases, etc., just like IRL. ADHD never quits, man. :smith:

Yeah this is a thing me and my wife have learned over time. She is extremely organized, things in the right place, lists, etc, yet somehow manages to lose keys, wallets, computers, anything, because she was distracted by something else and just left it where she was, despite her having picked the designated location.

As it turns out, her being extremely organized is more a self-invented coping mechanism for her (then) undiagnosed adhd, so she only seemed organized outwards because she really isn't on the inside.

I just leave things wherever, but since it's on purpose and not because I remembered a thing and immediately switched tasks, i always know where.

Both our approaches work really poorly for the other, so that was a fun learning experience.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm starting a new job this week which entails going to a non-local office once per week. I asked my new boss what sort of time I should arrive and leave (ie is it 9-5 or is there some leeway for travel time) and he's come back with 'we're totally flexible, so long as the work gets done!'

Like, I'm sure that's true, maybe, but on the other hand that's also kinda useless to me, as there's obviously gonna be expectations and etiquette that apply, and I gotta plan around that. You've already told me it's always gonna be Wednesdays in that office and have now told me that this week it's Tuesday, and I have to make sure that my wife and two kids are able to do what they need to do with the one car we have.

So, a pretty specific peeve... People being 'flexible' when actually just being precise would be much easier.

Relatedly, people using "Flexible" to mean "we cannot/will not plan ahead properly".

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I am a big bearded man and i go to a lady hairdresser who mostly does and entirely markets to women, because she is good at her job and hair is, to an extent, hair.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Silver Falcon posted:

You know, I had a friend tell me recently that he's the only one among his group of friends who knows how to operate a manual can opener. As in the kind with the handles you squeeze, and turn?

I called some bullshit on that but after reading these posts I'm beginning to think he wasn't bullshitting me, and operating a can opener is indeed some lost arcane knowledge. :psyduck:

When I first met my wife, she was confused by my can opener, because it didn't have any handles or something to turn, it was just the, i dunno, what I consider the regular kind? A handle with a hook and a pointy bit.

As it turns out, no one in her family has even seen one before.

I had never seen any other kind. Apparently people have wall-mounted mechanical stuffs with rotary handles and cutting wheels or whatever. An entire world of complex solutions to a problem solved by a bent piece of metal with a handle.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In new places I don't always intuitively know north (but if the sun visibly exists I do, of course) but I can't imagine not knowing which way is north basically wherever I am in the city I live. Even if I'm in a part of the city for the first time I must have gotten there from a direction, and I know the cardinals at wherever I came from, so that's just one translation away if there was a turn or something.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Silver Falcon posted:

Ya know thanks to this whole conversation, today I had a go at paying attention to which cardinal direction I'm going on my way to work. :v:

Verdict: yeah, I can do it, if I pay attention. But I was also travelling on major highways/Interstates and I know which direction they run. Like "This State road runs north/south. If I turn left off it, then I'm travelling east," etc. Is that how it's supposed to work or is that "cheating"?

If I were on windy streets with no semblance of a grid structure, then forget it. I wouldn't be able to tell you cardinal directions if you paid me!

Yeah it's this, but ingrained enough that we don't have to think about it anymore. What confuses me I think is how people learned to find their way as a kid without internalising this way of thinking.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Trick or treat.
First of all that the concept has spread to us here in the not-states, all but replacing our similar but better tradition of Easter witches.
Secondly, and more importantly, the phrasing of trick or treat is all hosed up. Your desired outcome is a treat, so that should be first. It also doesn't in any way differentiate between the request (a treat for me) and the threat (or else a trick for you), making the entire thing seem like you're either offering a trick or a treat, or you want a trick or a treat.
A very bad concept, F, see me after class.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

SubNat posted:

e: Boom boom, I want you in my room.

My Christmas pet peeve of the year: children's toys with sound. Children manage to be quite loud enough without the extra help, thank you very much toy producers. My wife and I are in agreement that toys that make extra noise are gonna be banned in our house. Her brother has not yet come to the same conclusion, so this Christmas our nephew got a robot dinosaur toy. It can walk, it can bite, it can roar, and, god knows why, it can dance to the Vengaboys' 1998 megahit "Boom Boom Boom Boom!!", played through the lovely buzzer used for the roar.

Unfortunately the batteries "ran out" after about an hour of the song on repeat.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Bargearse posted:

If I haven’t said it already, the condescending and unhelpful way error messages are written now.

“Uh-oh, there’s been a little oopsie! Hold on, our elite tech ninjas are on the way!” without so much as an error code or something I can use to start diagnosing the problem.

This poo poo drives me up the wall. Not telling me what went wrong is bad! Misdiagnosing the problem and asking me to perform useless steps is even worse!

We had a PS4 ask us to "check our internet connection" because the account that was signed into it had been inactive for so long it wanted to send a verification email. But it just said "unable to sign in, check your internet", despite presumably getting a "No"-answer from the login server, rather than no answer.

Once I had the mail app on my phone prompt me for the password to my account (with no option to leave it unchanged, since I knew it was correct) because the mail server was down. Almost exactly the opposite problem, the login server not answering isn't the same as it answering "incorrect login". Again, the error message was just "unable to sign in".

Aaaa.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tiggum posted:

"Unrecognised ID or password."

Which one? Did I get the username wrong, or the password? It would be extremely helpful to know!

This is to an extent reasonable and on purpose: if people are just guessing accounts/emails, letting them know "yes, this one exists!" is bad, maybe.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Dip Viscous posted:

"Just drink tap water instead of bottled, tap water has no taste."

Okay, I guess the ammonia smell and all of the times I vomited are imaginary.

holy poo poo

Move away from Flint, Michigan.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Seeing as the worst case scenario if you forget you microwaved something is "it gets slightly colder again", a reminder is completely unecessary and any microwave that insists on beeping more than a single time as it finishes is trash.

My retrogrouch solution to this problem has been to get a microwave without buttons or fancy feature. It has a mechanical timer and goes DING when the timer is up. No "start" buttons or "set time in 30 second increments", i just twist it to a time and it goes.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why do so many people misspell it 'ect'

Could be related to people who pronounce it "ecsetra"?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Hirayuki posted:

It's getting more and more of a pain in the rear end to migrate to a new PC. I do blame Microsoft for a lot of it--the constant badgering to use a MS account for your user account, shoving OneDrive down my throat, etc.--but there's weird poo poo in the details, like a network card setting that just...turns it off when idle?? No, goddamn you, we use this as a mail/Website server! It has to stay online! I've been upgrading computers since the 3.1 days, and this is by far the worst loving migration I have ever dealt with, and it should be straightforward as hell. Luckily I only have to do it once every decade or so.

Related, because I don't know where else to ask this in prose (and AI wasn't helpful):
I have my old computer connected via cable to ethernet. I have an external drive connected to the old computer. Both are working fine and accessible remotely via my laptop.
I have mapped Old and External as network drives on the new computer.
I open a directory on Old and the corresponding directory on New.
I select files on Old and drag them to copy to New.
Windows says, "Whoa, 67 of these files have the same name. What should I do?" I tell it to copy anyway. It does the Preparing to Copy thing, numerating all the files.
Windows says, "Whoa, you need to give an admin OK for that." I do. It does the Preparing to Copy thing again.
Windows says, "Location Old not available. Make sure it's connected, online, etc. Or maybe it's been deleted!"
Bitch, it's right here! We're both looking at it!
I run a reapplication of access rights to all of Old and all of External (interrupted occasionally by New going offline to "save power" :dumb:).
Same thing happens, every time.

:bang: If anyone knows what I'm missing, please, please tell me. I have a bunch of poo poo to move from Old to New and no immediately better way to do so.

My general experience with windows file sharing is to never do it. I don't even try anymore, and instead use warpinator (a windows version named winpinator exists) to move files between computers on the same network.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
At a previous job I had frequent interactions with an IT department that 1. Didn't read tickets and 2. Always asked for screenshots. So when they inevitably asked me for a screenshot of the problem in tickets where my error message was already in the text, I just took a screenshot of the ServiceNow "issue description" box and attached that. I did not crop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
When I was in Paris, a surprisingly common response to us trying to get by in french was them exclaiming "Ah, Swedes!" And switching to English, while remaining nice and polite.

This did not match our expectations or most other people's experiences.