Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Self checkouts suck because they are way slower at scanning than a real person, there's always some issue with weighing the items, and most people are stupid and should not be allowed to use them. Especially the assholes who take like 50 items. Don't they realize it would be a million times faster for them to just go to the normal checkout? And inevitably every 10th item goes PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE and the employee has to come over and put in his code.

Most of the self checkout lanes around here are 20 items or less, I assume explicitly for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also people who aren't aware of how loud they are talking (or don't care).

There was this dude who used to ride my regular commuter bus whose ordinary speaking voice was louder than some peoples' shouts. (He claimed it was because he used to work construction and couldn't help it.) And that fucker would have long, extended "conversations" (monologues) about whatever was on his mind every drat day. I usually listen to music on the bus, and there were days when I couldn't drown him out even with my music turned up all the way. I'm blaming him for any eventual hearing loss I suffer, basically.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I love dogs and have never had a bad experience with one, but if I had a job where I went into peoples' homes, I'd probably prefer that their pets got shut away while I'm installing their cable or whatever too.

Because I would play with the dog instead of doing my job.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Oh, also, random bus schedule changes. "Hi, we're going to make every bus pickup time on this route five minutes earlier next week, throwing your entire morning routine into havoc because your other bus, which is not changing, won't get you here in time to make your connection any more. THANK YOU FOR RIDING SHITFUCKERY TRANSIT."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really love that my keyboard at work has no lights or other visual cues to indicate whether the caps lock is on or not. Makes every password entry into a wacky adventure.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Other Person: Hi, docbeard, I need you to do THING.

Me: Okay

Other Person: Because I need THING to get done because...

Me: All right, I'll do it.

Other Person: ...and so it's important that THING get done because...

Me: Yes, okay, I'll do it.

Other Person: ...so if you could do THING I would really appreciate it.

Me: I will do THING.

Other Person: Could you do THING for me?

Me: ARGH

Every goddamn conversation I have at this office some days.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

J Miracle posted:

you get yelled at by Superintendent Vegan a lot

You mean MURDERintendant Vegan.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People who stand right in front of the bench (when there is a bench at all, but that's another post) at a bus stop. Sit or stand, I really don't care, but if you're not going to use the bench, don't actively prevent other people from using it either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Seriously, it's an epidemic. It's not just recipes either, everyone feels like they need to include a backstory to everything. I also hate the "series of pictures (recipe at the end)" style of recipe posting. The recipe is the most important part, I don't want to have to scroll through your 50 pictures of chopping up undefined amounts of onions and carrots etc before finding out exactly what I need to buy to make this.

This but double for any recipe that comes solely in convenient 20 minute video form.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Why in 2016 do websites still force me to put a slash between dates in forms. Like if I need to enter my birthday, most sites are fine with inputting 012345 as they are coded well enough to add the slashes automatically. But then there are still sites that will refuse to submit unless you manually put in the loving slashes.

"Could not submit, please check date formatting" :fuckoff:

Even worse are sites that use different fields for the different parts of the date (or some similar number like a phone number) and automatically move your cursor forward once there's text in one of the fields. So if you put in, say, the wrong area code, gently caress you because you will never be allowed to change it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Shift+Tab

You might well think so, but the site, lovingly handcrafted by Lucifer Satan LLC, has anticipated this and will bounce you forward if you tab back in.

Fortunately it's not super common.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

The automatic payment for my insurance always comes through either early or late, and it's always just on time to gently caress me until the next payday :negative:

God, I love it when payments go on a 30 day cycle rather than being due the same date each month.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mine's Brennan, and there are days when I think it would be easier to just change it to Brandon because that's what everyone hears.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wait, so people actually ask you how to pronounce your name instead of just blundering into it and still getting it wrong after you've repeated it three times?

What...what is heaven like?
(I actually quite like my name)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Grass clippings bug me substantially more than cigarette smoke. Goddamned allergies.

Cigarette smoke used to really bother me, though it doesn't so much these days. And I've literally never met a smoker who wasn't completely considerate about it in the face of a polite "sorry, my respiratory system is kind of lovely". Like, obviously there are always gonna be assholes, but I don't think they're by any means the majority, and I'd rather just focus my ire on assholes of all types rather than on the innocent and guilty alike who just happen to share an unfortunate habit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My own faucet peeve: the bathtub faucet in my apartment is super-sensitive, so finding that sweet spot between 'uncomfortably chilly' and 'burn a layer of skin off' can be super-tricky, especially first thing in the morning.

On the bright side, we've got a building-wide boiler or something (my building used to be a high school) and it may be physically impossible for us to run out of hot water. To the point where, about a year ago, we had a plumbing issue that left the faucet running hot water most of the day until maintenance could get it shut off (it was draining fine so more of an annoyance than a threat of water damage, thank Christ) and the temperature, as far as I could tell, never wavered even slightly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pronounce things the way that comes naturally to you and don't so much as hint that you're aware that anyone pronounces them differently.

As with so many other things in life, confidence is more important than correctness.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm starting to get really tired of hearing about people "bending the knee".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also if you answer with "I don't drink... wine" people will just think you're into vampires.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Between the "my mom is the best mom" posts and the "happy mothers day to all the fur moms out there," Facebook was insufferable yesterday.

I try not to be all MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEAAAAAADDDDDDDD (Batman-leap through the window) but, well, my parents have been dead for more than a decade, I don't really think about either Mothers Day or Fathers Day that much at the moment, and there's no un-awkward way to bring this up when strangers/acquaintances are all SO DID YOU CALL YOUR MOM YET TODAY?

Like I could just mutter something about how my mother died thirteen years ago and make someone who, one presumes, means well feel like poo poo about something that I came to terms with, well, somewhat less than thirteen years ago. Or I could just lie about it which is no fun. Or I could dress up like a bat and fight crime, I suppose.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frogisis posted:

This has been happening a lot lately but it's enormously frustrating when public transit drivers seem to be deliberately trying to give everyone whiplash every five seconds.

I'm experiencing this one even as we speak!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I honestly don't care what the number is besides being able to use it to buy new pants easily. They can call it size 666 for all I care as long as it's size 666 in every brand.

It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what a marketing department believes that you think, which usually works out to three parts unhinged wishful thinking, and one part sitcom plots from the 80s.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look, if I wanted to interact with or be more than vaguely aware of people when I'm out in public, I'd...um...it's never really come up.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I hear they're adding "does not share my personal preference" as a sign of mental illness to the DSM-Whatever We're Up To soon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Same goes for assholes who assume someone is using an allergy as an excuse to not eat something - I've had that happen with friends and family too, the whole "oh you're not allergic you're just being stubborn" garbage that makes me want to murder someone on the spot.

I blame this attitude entirely on assholes who give "picky eaters" a hard time and make people think they need a stronger excuse than "I don't care for X and would rather eat something else". (Likely those self-same assholes).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It took me a while to figure this out, but the enjoyment one gets out of roleplaying games is about 90% who you're playing with to about 10% what game you're playing.

Like a lot of group activities, I suppose.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My favorite is an email with an attached file whose entire text consists of "I will stop by and discuss this in a moment." One of our managers often does this.

Three guesses how often he actually shows up to discuss the file "in a moment" or indeed "ever".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As someone who's been in lovely housing situations, and lovely other situations, before, a lesson it took me too long to learn is that sometimes there's the solution where you're Right, and there's the solution where you get to move on with your life with the least bullshit possible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

liquidypoo posted:

I know anytime I end up with a minor cut somehow, from biting my cheek or whatever, those always turn into canker sores. They also tend to crop up a lot after I decide to indulge my sweet tooth. drat chocolate.

They're the loving worst when they end up on your tongue, though. Can't even loving talk without instant surges of pain.

I hate them so much. (Especially since I like spicy food, and a tongue sore can ruin that experience thoroughly.)

The only thing I've found that helps even a little with mouth sores, especially the tongue variety, is Anbesol mouthwash which I gather is actually meant for toothaches.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For the record, my point was pretty much just "pick your battles", not "never fight anything". (And after moving in Minneapolis in the dead of winter, I would never consider that moving was anything but a major, major hassle!) Sounds like Snoo hasn't yet exhausted all of their useful options, in any event.

Current peeve: smoke alarms. After replacing the battery (thankfully there is a convenience store right across the street), and trying to divine the elaborate ritual required to make it shut up after replacing the battery (and even now I don't know if it's worked or if it's just lying in wait), I'd be willing to give being on fire a try. It couldn't possibly be any more annoying.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Barely even a peeve, but when my cat uses his psychic powers to detect when I absolutely without fail need to leave the house to go to work and decides that right then is a good time to be all LOVE ME PURR PURR PURR.

Related: Having to go to work.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KoB posted:

With Pokemon Go tearing up the internet, Im reminded of a big pet peeve of mine.

Quit getting mad at people for enjoying a thing.

Thinking about this a bit, I think this is one of those situations where the very nature of the internet conspires to generate maximum annoyance for everyone involved.

For example:

Alice doesn't play Pokemon Go, or especially give it much thought, and isn't naturally inclined to be an rear end about it. However, everywhere Alice goes, everything Alice reads, Twitter, Facebook, dead forums whose sexuality is none of your business, etc., people are going on about how they totally caught MumbleButt on their way to work, the news is full of smirking journalist going on about this new fad, the Holocaust Museum issues a press release asking that people not hunt for Pokemon there, etc. No one person is saying a lot, of course, but it adds up. And finally, Alice has had enough and snaps.

Bob plays and enjoys Pokemon Go. He talks about it a bit online, maybe a little more enthusiastically than he needs to, but he's certainly not going on about it 24/7 and stalking people to tell them the Good News about Pikachu, and he hasn't really done a thing to deserve Alice unloading him about SHUT UP ABOUT POKEMON GO I DON'T CAAAAAAAAAAAARE aside from being a small part of the aggregate.

So now, Alice and Bob, who are otherwise reasonable people, have become each others' pet peeve, and it's not really either one's fault.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I get it, but, "make sure you bring your own food" is not a usual component of being invited to dinner.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's not a dinner really, it's a barbeque - bringing your own stuff (in addition to the basics that the host provides, which I always would do even when I say I'm not supplying anything) for the grill is very common at least most barbeques that I've been to. Buying enough meat and sides and beer for 10+ people is expensive on your own, especially if you have to cater to different tastes like someone who wants seafood, vegetarians, etc.

I did say I get it, and lord knows if I were to host a barbecue (which, hahahahaha no for so many reasons) I'd likely do the same, not being made of money and all. I just get how people might gloss over the "hey, bring some stuff of your own to eat" part without them necessarily being cheapskates.

Then again, I don't really like large (and by 'large' I mean 'more than 3-4 people') social gatherings to begin with, so possibly don't take me seriously.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When I grew up, nearly every dog we owned was hit by a car at least once, because they got outside by accident off-leash, and we lived in front of a decently busy road. Most of them survived the experience (though coming home from Cub Scouts when I was like ten to "sorry, your dog just died" is not my favorite childhood memory ever).

So yeah. Don't have dogs at the moment, but when we do again, those fuckers aren't going outside without a leash and if necessary a secondary grappling hook.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No, I am not a member of your store's loyalty card program. No, I would not particularly like to be. (Or maybe I did sign up, but I've forgotten and I don't caaaaaaaaaare.) No, I haven't enough money to participate in your fund drive, much as I approve in principle of fundraising for animal shelters. I would just like to buy my cat food and leave.

And of course, I can't take it out on the cashier. She's more a prisoner of this harass-the-customer system than I am, because she has to do it, and I just have to put up with it once every couple of weeks or so.

At least she didn't ask me to buy an extended warranty for my cat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Those sound like great solutions to problems that aren't "people interrupt me on my way to the shower and then complain that I smell bad".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

lidnsya posted:

Oh my God, that bus thing, except when in addition, a NOT IN SERVICE bus just happens to go by at around the time your bus was supposed to. And it's -45 and you would cry but your tear ducts are frozen shut.

I could probably fill this thread with nothing but bus complaints. (AND HAVE).

Still better than dealing with traffic and rear end in a top hat drivers myself, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahahaha. My apartment building's laundry rooms have nothing even remotely like a schedule or a signup sheet. It's all first come first served.

Fortunately the one I use is kind of tucked into the garden level (where my apartment is) on a hall without many people, so I'm only fighting 5 or 6 people for the (singular) washer/dryer rather than 30 or 40. Still, it works about as well as you'd imagine.

(There are other laundry rooms throughout the building in a pinch, but the next nearest one is up two flights of stairs and gently caress that.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

See also: "hand egg"

XKCD has a lot to answer for.

A LOT.

(And I loving hate American football.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not a militant GET THE FLU SHOT OR YOU ARE BASICALLY HITLER type or anything, but if you aren't a literal hermit, then you do, in fact, come into contact with the elderly, the sick, the young, etc., or with people who are in contact with them, on a regular basis, just by virtue of living in a world with other people in it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've always heard not to get one unless you have a weak immune system or are around people who do on a regular basis because it's basically a waste of a flu shot. :shrug:

I do remember one year a while back there were severe shortages of flu vaccine and they advised people who weren't at risk to hold off, but that's an unusual situation. Normally the more people vaccinated, the better.

I pretty much just get it done when it's available and I'm at the doctor's for something else anyway (which is more and more often as I get older) so it's not exactly a massive inconvenience either way.

Peeve: getting older.