Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh man. Pronouncing "height" as "heighth" (with a "th" ending); "irregardless".

lenth

strenth

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
People who can't conclude an minor disagreement like adults:

"Well, it seems like we'll never agree on this, but I respect your opinion and I'm sorry we had an argument."

"Yeah, I'm sorry you're so wrong" :smug:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh well that changes everything. Except that no, every time I've answered a call from an unrecognized number that turned out to be a telemarketer and told them to pound sand, I've coincidentally gotten a ton of follow-up calls from other similar numbers in the weeks following the call. And when I don't answer unrecognized numbers from places like CALIFORNIA, USA, then I never have this issue.

Perhaps you worked for a reputable sales company that actually took "no" for an answer and did your job, but many more of them do not and it's a lot easier to screen all of my unrecognized calls than to answer them and suddenly have to deal with 2-3 weeks of whatever bullshit ensues after one of these blind-calling companies "discovers" me.

Next time a telemarketer calls, politely tell them you'd like to use their service/buy their thing, but you have a court order against you that prohibits you from doing so. Not only will they take you off the call list voluntarily, but they'll be eager to get you off the phone so they can try for a new sucker customer.

Goddrat telemarketing was the worst loving job I've ever done. I'd rather clean public toilets than do that poo poo again

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've heard this before. I think I will try it.

Yeeeeeeesssss :unsmigghh: Let's throw Jastiger on there, too, that dude sucks.

New Pet Peeve: Windows Vista

1) Trust me, it works

2) I agree

3) ftfy

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's tax season, and you can't read any online article/forum post about tax refunds without a few people trotting on in to go,
"Ha! Morons! If you're getting a refund, you're giving the GOVERNMENT an interest-free loan! You're a total tard! You should always have them withhold as little as possible! Aim for zero, or even bettemr owe THEM money and pay as late as possible! LOl, stick it to the IRS!!! Then you take all that money you saved and get more money from interest! LOL! Libtards, Ron Paul 2012!1!!!"

Oh god I hate this so much. It's especially bad if you elect for extra withholding on your W-4. They go apeshit.

"WHAT? YOU'RE LETTING THEM HAVE ~AN INTEREST FREE LOAN~ OF EXTRA MONEY FROM EVERY PAYCHECK? YOU'RE A MORON! WHY ARE YOU GIVING THE GOVERNMENT MORE MONEY THAN YOU NEED TO, IDIOT?"

gently caress you, dumbshit. You don't know my tax situation. gently caress, you probably don't even know your own tax situation until April 15th when you walk to the post office and grab a 1040EZ from the rack, scribble a number on line 1, then furrow your brow confusedly as you reach for the instructions to figure out what to do next. Jump in a lake, rear end clown.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Delivery Charge on food.

Maybe there's a totally legit reason, but it strikes me as double dipping and i don't remember seeing it a several years back, but now I see it from every place I order. I was under the impression a big reason for tipping is drivers get paid sub minimum wage because they're expected to make it up in tips, and in some cases pay for their own gas? Why are you charging me delivery fees if you won't even pay your drivers proper min wage? It also strikes me as odd when they have a minimum order price. The minimum order cost exists to discourage delivery that wouldn't make much money, yet a delivery fee seems like it solves that problem?

I'll still tip but I've seen people who refuse to tip if there's a delivery charge.

Also, debit and credit charges, particularly on deliver food again. I know why they exist, but come the gently caress on. I pretty much never have cash because it's a massive inconvenience compared to just using a drat card.

For the big chains, it's probably so they can make more money per order while keeping their advertised prices on parity with their competitors. "A large one-topping is only $9.99! plus tax and delivery fee" looks a helluva lot better than "A large one-topping is just $13.50!"

One of my buddies runs a sub shop near the local university campus, and I asked him about it when he finally started adding a small delivery fee to his orders. He said he hated having to do it because one of his core business strategies is to deliver really inexpensive sandwiches, but it was the only way he could think of to make what he needed to in order to cover his rising expenses without loving with his menu prices (and thus all his printed promotional material, menus, etc.), which have been the same for ages. Rent for his building went up because the owners' insurance premiums for the building went up. His own business insurance went up, and the rise in the cost of fuel made all his supplies and utilities more expensive. So, he was still selling sandwiches for three bucks, but was now paying more than 1.5x in business expenses compared to previous years.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Mar 19, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Idiots on social media who call out other people and, when they get a reply to their insults, insist the insultee 'take the high road and not make this public.' Bitch, you posted up a huge thing to the 'homewrecker' who your husband hosed and made it public and expect him not to reply to it?

Since you brought up dumb social media behaviors, I can't stand when people can't just loving ignore/block someone quietly.

"HAHAHA WELCOME TO MY BLOCK LIST DUMB poo poo"

You don't have to say that, you know. You can just do it and move on, but some people just have to have the last word.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

If this is actually a thing, it's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

The modern version of this is googling "attractive person" or "hot guy/gal" or whatever and posting a photo of someone you've never met on your facebook wall, claiming it's your new boyfriend/girlfriend.

Thank god for the search by image feature; it makes calling them out on it so easy :laugh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

Happens here quite a bit (Nebraska) - I swear anyone born and raised here has zero clue how to handle a car. I've been on the interstate going 5mph over the limit in the right lane and STILL have people tailgating because apparently 65-70mph isn't fast enough. Bonus points for the jackoffs that don't use the left passing lane and just keep riding your bumper for 5 miles like they'll change your mind. :argh: People are just dumb, careless assholes sometimes.

It happens pretty much everywhere, I think. I especially hate when they pull that poo poo in areas where the municipality has set up a revenue-generating speed trap. Yeah, I get it, brotruck dude--you want to get to Walmart as fast as possible, but we're coming up on McAlester, Oklahoma, and their police act like they're gonna get executed if they don't write a billion tickets a day. I'm not getting pulled over just so their mayor can save downtown or whatever, so kindly take the hi-beam toggle you're angrily switching six feet behind me and shove it up your rear end :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Irish Joe posted:

People who adopt baby kittens without knowing how to care for them.

I get pissed off when people buy/adopt any goddamn animal they're not going to take care of. Living in a college town, I see way too much of it. "OHMYGOD I'M LIVING IN MY OWN HOUSE TIME TO GET A DOG! MOM CAN'T TELL ME NO!" So you buy a puppy (because shelter animals are gross), start neglecting it almost immediately when it uses the restroom on the floor because potty training is hard, then relegate it to a tiny cage when you get a boyfriend or girlfriend and don't want to have to deal with puppy while you're watching movies, getting drunk, scrogging, etc. Pretty soon, it's off to the shelter because "you just don't have time for a dog" but in reality you're either lazy or bored of the poor thing. Of course, you'll take it to the nearest shelter, which is probably a kill shelter because the nearest Humane Society shelter is in the next county and it's, like 20 miles away ugggggghhhh I'm sure someone will adopt this puppy, I've got to get back in time for American Idol

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MindlessHavok posted:

What?

I don't know what this means and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pet peeve.

"Spoon Theory" is a concept come up with by a gal who claimed to have a chronic illness, as a way to describe the fact that people have finite amounts of energy. She was at a Denny's or something when her friends asked her about her illness and why she was tired all the time, and the only physical representation of expending stamina throughout the day she could come up with was a handful of spoons from nearby tables. "I spend one spoon showering, then three spoons at work, then I only have three spoons left for the rest of the day" was essentially it.

Then, the Internet got ahold of it and suddenly everyone with a WebMD-diagnosed illness would bitch and moan about "not having the spoons to deal with this" when really they were not actually sick but instead lazy or otherwise unwilling to do whatever. I'm not sure if the creator actually had an illness but I think she's since written a book about Spoon Theory and I've seen at least one Spoon Theory tattoo.

Wonder how many spoons it took to get an enormous full-color tattoo of spoons...

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When I was in college I saw SO MANY people buy a puppy because "omg cute!!" then first school break posting how they have to get rid of the puppy because their parents wouldn't let them bring it home over break. We own a property in a college town and we have a no pets clause to discourage this sort of behavior (and also not having our carpet ruined by a college kid who can't bother to potty train their dog). We will lift the pets ban if the tenant has a proven track record of not being a shithead absentee pet owner, but there is no way anyone will acquire a dog or cat while living there.

I've got a handful of units near campus and as much as I'd love a full-on pet ban, for the three- and four-bedrooms, the first thing potential renters ask about is our pet policy. Our lawyer advised imposing a ludicrous non-refundable pet fee and charging monthly "pet rent" as deterrents to weed out the shitheads. That works well most of the time, but once in a while I'll get a trust fund kid who doesn't bat an eye at writing a check for first month+last month+deposit+pet fee equal to three months' rent+pet rent on lease day.

That said, I do reduce the fee and eliminate the extra pet rent if they've owned the pet(s) for at least a year and provide the pets' medical records showing consistent care/vaccinations/etc. and allow me to speak with their vet about the pets. If there's any mention of "suspicious injuries" or neglect, deal's off. I'm not having that poo poo in my goddamn units; I'm not a slumlord.

I got really stringent about the rules after letting one gal and her new puppy rent a four-bedroom that I'd just re-carpeted. A puppy can do horrible things to carpet in the span of 12 months if it's not properly housetrained.

I wish there was stronger legislation about who can buy a dog or cat and when. What sucks is that the picky, finicky pet providers are inevitably no-kill shelters who will call your landlord, your boss, your bank, come inspect the house the pet will be living in, etc. A puppy mill's only requirement is that you pay for it--it doesn't matter if you're 17 and living on your own for the first time and just getting a puppy because OMG CUTE!! :(

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I think the problem with men's clothing sizes is more a "by comparison" thing. Women's sizes outside of bras tend to be a number that requires checking a lookup table like you're the world's most fashion-conscious Dungeon Master. Any men's size that is given as a number is usually given as a set of numbers in the prevailing system of measurement. In other words, a pair of jeans in size "40/32" should have the same waist circumference and inseam length as a pair of jeans from another brand. Depending on the brand and the store, I can be lucky to find two on the same shelf that fit the same way. You're right, vanity sizing is poo poo, and the idea of so many different size charts that they make FATAL look like a simple instruction book for well-adjusted tabletop aficionados is ridiculous, but when a size is supposed to be linked intrinsically to a particular measurement and it never is outside of the priciest items, it's not fair to say men "can't complain". It's just a different beast.

I usually only go shopping when I have time to try everything on. The last time I didn't and just trusted the label, I ended up with a pair of khaki slacks that looked cinched up like a trash bag when I put a belt on and the cuffs drug the ground. Why, pants? You said you were my size :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
There are some things I won't talk about on these forums, and my pets are one of them. You can post in a derailed obscure-rear end page 7 Soul Calibur 1 thread in Games about how one time two years ago your dog ate a piece of celery, and that pet derail will turn into a loving extinction-level event.

I don't read it--is the whole PI subforum like that? Or is there just a handful of really obnoxious posters who insist relentlessly that their ways of pet care are correct?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Back on topic: People who humblebrag about the dinner they just made on Facebook. "What did you guys make tonight? I'm feeling lazy so I just whipped up a little pumpkin risotto with a Parmesan reduction and some slow-cooked short ribs with a kale and walnut salad. Ugh I need to go to the grocery store so badly!" Yes okay I totally believe this is just another meal that you make for yourself every evening.

Heh, you're saying you don't cook like that every day? :smug:

Realtalk: when this happens, respond to the humblebrag in Super Smugmode 7 and say something like "eh that sounds okay for a quick meal, I was feeling lazy too, so I made [hilariously elaborate 5-course dinner requiring several components not readily available in your area and some that are completely made up]."

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

poster who should know better posted:

...so I did X and Y and the result was meh so I tried X and Z and it worked out okay.

troll posted:

you're a loving moron shithead human being

poster who should know better posted:

Why? Why would you say that? You're being rude. All I did was do X and Z instead of X and Y and I don't know why you're being so confrontational about it. Jesus loving Christ all I was trying to do was explain what I did and you've got to jump all over me. Why are you being like this?

They're trolls, people. It's a gimmick. They're trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them and move on :eng99:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

If it helps, there are some of us out there (like me) who love seeing your creations. I also like seeing people's progress at the gym or whatever. I also don't mind outfit of the day, makeup of the day, a DIY project you just finished, whatever. You can keep your kid's lovely diaper offscreen, though (and yes, people actually do this).

JAYDYNN'S FIRST POO!!! #socute #momsrock

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

They're trolls, people. It's a gimmick. They're trying to get a rise out of you. Just ignore them and move on :eng99:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Recipe blogs that have a whole backstory to each recipe that no one gives a poo poo about. I was looking up a cookie recipe once and this lady had paragraphs and paragraphs about how she'd make them with her grandkids and blah blah blah before actually posting the recipe. I don't want to read about your stupid grandkids I just want to make some cookies goddamnit.

Back when I was a kid, my grandma used to make this gumbo for us and...

(insert 5,000 more words here)

...so I hope you enjoy it!

Grandma's Super Gumbo

Ingredients:
    water
    Daddy Joe brand gumbo seasoning
    okra
    meat

Directions:
    Mix together in large pot and heat on low for a while, stirring until delicious!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

walrusman posted:

How-to videos on Youtube with lovely camera work and lots of "um" and "uh" and "okay guys" and "now I'm gonna do X oh wait I need to do Y first!" If you actually care about making something useful, at least buy a $3 tripod and write up a half page outline of the steps you want to take. If you screw up the order or stumble over your words, cut it and do it again. It might take an hour instead of a few minutes, but that's nothing compared to the hundreds of wasted hours of the people who watched the video and had to sit through all the ums and uhs just to get to the good part.

How-to videos on Youtube that are just a slideshow of lovely still pictures set to lovely music. gently caress off.

Car repair videos are the worst for this.

*30 sec intro blaring AC/DC at 120% volume featuring default Windows Movie Maker title cards*

hey guys i'm gonna, um, today... um

*portrait-mode cell phone video shakes, loud bursts of noise as the phone brushes up against poo poo*

like okay...today, um, i'm gonna show...ya'll how to, um... like when, okay, i know lots of people have this problem, so... um, i'm gonna

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I haven't used Pandora, is there some limit on how many songs you can skip in a given time? If so, why?

Pandora's website posted:

Free Pandora accounts permit 6 skips per hour per station, for up to 24 total skips per day across all stations. The daily skip limit helps us prevent having to pay royalties on songs that are not being heard.

Can someone help make sense of that second sentence? I'm reading it as "We paid the goddamn royalties so you're gonna listen to the goddamn song!" Is that accurate?

So when you're out of skips and a song comes on that you hate, do you just take the headphones out and let it play through and hope the next song isn't terrible?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Arrath posted:

Ugh yeah, this really gets me. A good friend of mine absolutely loves concocting some huge reasoning for why he can't come hang out or whatever. Just say you're tired/in a bad mood/feeling antisocial, fuuuck.

An unavoidable obligation or circumstance (gotta wait for my contractor to arrive to fix my toilet) keeps your more persistent friends from responding like this:

"I'm tired" -- "Oh come on come out with us just for a little while!"

"I'm in a bad mood" -- "This'll definitely cheer you up!"

"I'm feeling antisocial" -- "Well you won't be after a few drinks!"

I'm not a guy who will make up excuses for everyone all the time--the vast majority of my friends can take "no" for an answer if I'm not feeling up to doing something (rough day at work, how about next time?) and I do the same for them. Seems like everyone's got those two or three friends who will just keep pestering you unless there's a clear-cut way out of it, though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

Another one from work: when someone asks for info but won't say what it's for or why.

This sort of thing kills me :argh:

"Hey, Fai, there's a surprise meeting at 1:00 today. Make sure you come."

"I'll be there. Is this about [upcoming event our company is planning]?"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT IT'S ABOUT, YOU NEED TO BE THERE REGARDLESS"

Jeez, buddy, I was just curious. Go jump in a lake. Sorry I wanted to know so I could decide what documents I should bring to this meeting so I didn't end up unprepared.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tendai posted:

I didn't even know that arguing about the origin was a thing, that just makes it even more annoying!

Oh, it sure is! There's always at least one goober who screams "IT CAME FROM SALTYBET DOT COM WHICH IS A SITE WHERE YOU BET ON COMPUTERS PLAYING VIDEOGAMES, IF YOU LOSE YOUR BET YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE SALT MINES THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED SALTY WHEN YOU'RE MAD"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is there a name for when you get, like, the same kind of person repeated over and over, like some grotesque real-life palate swap?

There should be if there isn't. Would certainly make referring to similar idiots who say "HUR HUR IT DIDN'T SCAN, I GUESS IT'S FREE HUH?" much easier.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

artsy fartsy posted:

I shouldn't even bother replying since someone's going to call me an idiot, but this attitude right here is my pet peeve.

No, addition and subtraction are not hard at all, but doing quick math in my head is just about impossible for me. Numbers dissolve in my brain like cotton candy in water. I can't remember any phone numbers or dates, either.

When I worked retail I practiced counting out change over and over and over again, but it didn't help.

I know I'm not dumb, but I had to deal with people who obviously thought I was because they didn't get their motherfucking nickel. :argh:

That's a working memory deficiency and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Sorry, friend, but you'll always freeze up like a prom date who forgot the condoms when someone asks you to calculate the tip at a restaurant or whatever. Get to work committing shortcuts to memory to make things easier on yourself or you'll be frustrated forever.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Baldbeard posted:

All day long cashiers:
Get customers who hand them big crumpled up balls of loose bills and coins.
Get customers who try to "reduce their coins" but do the math incorrectly and hand back an amount that would return even more coins.
Get customers who hand bills out as they find them in their purse -- so it's a bunch of small bills, some coins, and then a big bill that covers the whole total.
Get customers who argue about the amount that they just handed them, that's still in their hand.

Don't forget the guy who wants to "get rid of some change" and dumps five lbs of pennies on the counter for you to count. No buddy, it's no problem, not like it's lunchtime or anything and there isn't a line forming out the goddamn door because of you

"Oh yeah and I forgot, I also need some lottery tickets that I will then stand here and scratch off, blocking anyone else from paying for their poo poo. Let me go grab my other bag of pennies"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer, but can't you just refuse to take that much change?

You totally can, but one of two things is gonna happen:

1) The customer shrugs and says "that's cool" and pays another way

2) The customer screams "THIS IS LEGAL TENDER AND BY LAW YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT"

One happens far more frequently than the other. Easier just to count the goddamn change and get them out the door than to stand there arguing with them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't bother to log in just to read (although it does let you change the way the site looks), I like to be logged in so I can edit things and have them show up in my watch list.

Of course you're a loving Wikipedia editor

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Whats wrong with editing wikipedia. I've never done it, is there something about it I'm missing.

It was a playful jab at Tiggum.

As for what's wrong with it? I dunno, man, I could think of lots of better ways to use my time than by making changes on an enormous dry-erase board where everyone in the world has a marker and then waiting and watching to make sure nobody comes along and erases my changes or--even worse--changes my changes.

That said, some people are well-suited for such endeavors and seem to enjoy them, so

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stoatbringer posted:

How about when they literally put the last scene of the movie on the DVD cover?

There are no end of trailers these days which contain all the main plot twists or best jokes. I saw a trailer once that lasted about two minutes and contained all the main character development moments and strongly hinted at the ending. Thanks, marketing guys, now I don't need to bother paying to see the full thing.

Netflix is guilty of this from time to time. When they added Eureka Seven, the description gave away a huge reveal that happens at the very end. I guess enough people complained, though, because it was changed after a while to something more vague (and more snarky).

The show leads you to believe that all the events are happening on some hostile alien planet, and at the very end (surprise) it's future Earth. The description said "these people do blah blah on a future Earth," and now reads "forget what you know about geography" :laugh:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Sep 21, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

pussy riot police posted:

Men who don't get the hint when you say "I have a partner. Yes I'm seeing someone"

People who don't take the hint drive me nuts. Seeing a guy just keep laying it on when the girl has been throwing him every possible "no thanks" signal is cringe-inducing. Sometimes it gets so bad that I expect the gal to whip out those glowy sticks cops use to direct traffic and wave him toward the door. I don't see the point--do they really think asking over and over is going to suddenly change her mind (and not just annoy the hell out of her)?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Any time there is a shooting, how fast the NRA leaps out and starts screaming about gun control being horrible, that someone is coming to Take Your Guns and that's how Hitler came to power and....

And there's a guy I used to be friends with who posts only that on Facebook now. That and how Sandy Hook was put on by actors. Pretty much every shooting ever has been a set up by paid actors.

How the gently caress do these people survive?

"Hey did you hear about the recent shooting?"

"THAT WAS AN ACT PUT ON BY THE GOVERNMENT IN ORDER TO INCREASE SUPPORT FOR TAKING ARE GUNS. MAH RIGHTS!!!!!"

"Hey did you hear that Obama appointed a telecom lobbyist to chair the FCC?"

"Eh, whatever"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Today I shut my door so they would leave me alone and not five minutes later I see one of them bobbing and waving to try to get my attention, and my stupid rear end opens the door.

Something like this happening to me was the only time I've ever become visibly enraged in a work environment. I was a property manager for a complex with 50 units, and I had a lot of work to do before the close of the month, so I stayed late one night to get caught up. It was probably 8:00 P.M. when I hear pounding on the front door. I ignored it for a while and it stopped, then immediately started again--on my office window. "I see you in there, hey, open up!" I recognized the voice as one of my new tenants. "We're closed. If it's an emergency, call the police," I yelled through the closed window like a goober. He wouldn't relent, so (mainly to make him stop bugging me) I unlocked the front door to see what was so urgent. It couldn't have been a maintenance emergency, because there was a separate line straight to our maintenance staff that you could call 24/7. He runs around to the front, pokes his head in the front door and says:

"Hey, what was my monthly rent again?"

Another peeve: When journalists leave out the location on the dateline of an online story, or leave out the loving dateline completely. I read a lot of news online for both work and fun, and it drives me nuts when an article reads something like this:

quote:

STUDENT ARRESTED FOR HAVING INTERCOURSE WITH A COW

[dateline should loving go here but where is it???]

Authorities say 21-year-old resident Joe Smith was arrested on Saturday, following calls from concerned passers-by who saw what they believed to be someone having sex with a cow. Sheriff Nick Jones says Smith is a student at a local community college...

Where did this happen? WHO THE gently caress KNOWS?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bomrek posted:

Bonus: he's a ~~network marketer~~ so everything he says is some bullshit about how cool and good his company is and how they're totally going to make you money, honest!

Why is he not in a burlap sack with some bricks in it at the bottom of the nearest body of water

Those guys are the loving worst. When I was in grad school, one of them kept popping up uninvited to tag along with my friends and me to parties. He'd spend the entire night trying to convince random people to join this EXCITING MONEYMAKING OPPORTUNITY which was, of course, an MLM. When he wasn't recruiting people to sell bullshit, he'd go on and on about how we could hire him to "manage our personal brands," which I think entailed little more than making us a LinkedIn profile and proofreading our resumes. Dude, I just spent eight hours in the computer lab doing multivariate regression while listening to the gal at the computer next to me trim her fingernails as loudly as possible. Not only are you spewing a bunch of garbage, you're between me and the keg :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I was taken in for severe dehydration (which they later determined was caused by gastroenteritis) a few years ago and the fucker wouldn't stop asking me how much I'd drank the night before. He assumed that I was just whining about a bad hangover. Yeah, buddy, I wasn't drinking, and I've been puking and making GBS threads my guts out for more than 24 hours and can't keep even water and saltines down, it's just a loving hangover :rolleyes: Thankfully, his shift ended while I was laid up and the next doc went "oh poo poo" and fixed me up. Hours, multiple bags of saline, and some antiemetics later, he shows up with the blood test results and tells me that I was "really frickin' dry" and was lucky to have come in before something worse happened.

So yeah, gently caress doctors who assume you're a turd as soon as you walk in the door.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr Scoofles posted:

My dog woke me up this morning by licking my eye. My eye! I was unconscious and then I had a tongue pry my eyelid open and touch my eye. My day is ruined.

Enjoy your conjunctivitis! :toot:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Clutching your pearls" as a current forums go-to phrase. Ugggggggggggh. I'll take "im gay" and "cuck" over it any day of the week.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

When companies post openings, but they already have someone picked out that already works there, but they are legally obligated to post the poo poo, so it wastes everyone's loving time!

This poo poo is loving infuriating. Just tell me if you're only conducting interviews because you're legally or otherwise obligated to before I press my shirt and slacks and drive all the way to an interview for a job I have literally no chance of getting.

Seriously, when I call about the opening, just say "yeah we gotta interview fifty applicants but the boss' daughter just got her degree and well I guess it's up to you if you want to be interviewed, but ummm..." I won't be mad, I promise. You'd be saving us both time and trouble.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I wish the state would crack the gently caress down on MLMs already. It's been common knowledge for a while now that they're legal pyramid schemes designed to siphon money out of their employees' independent agents' bank accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm rather hateful towards the twee life story that comes with recipes these days. This poo poo shows up in cook books too now.

It was when I spent my autumns living in Paris, and my grand mama and I would wend our way through the prettiest little boutiques and street cafes. It was here I discovered the sweetest little pastry shop that sold real, old fashioned French treats which reminded me so much of dear grand pop-paw and his little bakery that he .. blah blah blah for three massive paragraphs.... and so I made my own version of that pain au chocolat and I present it to you now, dear reader...

This is so infuriating.

Life fuckin' story, broken up into chunks by enormous photos of the dish from several different angles interspersed throughout, then you get to the actual recipe after wearing out your scroll wheel and it's

quote:

1 lb stew meat
1 package stew seasoning
3 cups water
carrots
potatoes
celery
salt and pepper to taste

Put all this in a slow-cooker. Enjoy!