Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've been driving my car for five years, and like most modern cars it has lots of nice sensors and alerts which prevent you from doing stupid poo poo.

The one exception to this is the 'parking light', a feature which I have never deliberately used and which has caused me to drain the battery and gently caress myself over more times than I can count.

The light is activated if you turn on an indicator and then park and switch off your engine. If you park on the street, then this is a pretty common occurance.

The light stays on, and will literally not turn off until the battery is completely drained. Why does this feature exist? Why doesn't it tell me I've left the light on? It manages to tell me when I have less pressure in my tyres, when a service is due, when oil is low. Just not when I perform an incredibly innocuous action to turn on an incredibly innocuous light.

gently caress you, car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think the way my wife loads the dishwasher is some kind of elaborate long form psychological torture she’s designed just for me. She doesn’t make use of all the space available, she stacks things the wrong way up so they’ll fill up with water during the cycle, she puts things in which are caked with huge lumps of food which are obviously gonna end up covering everything else. Then the stuff which doesn’t end up clean, she just puts through again and again indefinitely until I wash it up. Come on, man :(

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i miss when the neighborhood didn’t sound like a kennel. there used to be one dog barking (15 feet from my window but still, just one...) and now there are five in different houses. and they pull that annoying chain bark, too. i know you’re trying to fill the void in your meaningless existences with yet another accessory, but i got poo poo to do

Yeah, dogs suck. I mean, individual dogs I meet I can get on with just fine, but collectively they're just awful. They bark, they smell, they have the potential to ruin any country walk by jumping up on you and covering you with mud. You also have that moment of first coming across one by itself in the woods. It stops. It stares. It barks. Its tail's not wagging. It's an impasse. You have your toddler with you, who in general you're pretty attached to and you prefer it unmaulled. Then its owner appears to scoffingly tell you that he's FINE he's just SHY. Or alternatively, to shout angrily at the dog and grab its collar. Which makes you wonder what could have happened if he hadn't turned up in time, or the dog was in a less reserved mood.

In short, gently caress dogs (plz don't gently caress dogs).

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I love that feature on Prime when you can pause what you're watching and it shows you the names of the cast who are on screen, and sometimes the name of the music that's playing. It's absolute witchcraft, but it's great.

However, I keep on trying to use it on Netflix or iPlayer or whatever out of habit, then feel minor annoyance that other services don't have it.

This is why enhanced functionality, convenience or luxury is ultimately terrible for humankind.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

In my case there are a few dogs around my area that I've had to learn to read. The next door neighbor has two or three small dogs that tend to be very territorial so if I ever go out into my back garden to weed and generally maintain it, the neighbors have to bring the dogs in or they just won't stop barking, they've never got used to me even after all the years I've lived here. However there is another neighbor down the street who has a very friendly dog, but it's quite a large one so when it came bounding towards me barking it was quite alarming at first, but now I know they are just wanting a fuss it's not that bad. It's still startling though.

I think the principle that annoys me is, like, the fact that I should feel startled or in any way affected by someone else's property. Whether it's that moment when a dog's bounding towards you and you don't know its intentions, or if you're just sat at home and next door's terrier is yapping away because someone walked past the house - it just pisses me off that my life is being adversely affected because of someone else's life choices.

I feel very similar about noisy cars/scooters , or when my next-door neighbour decides he's gonna spend an afternoon burning garden rubbish and (wtf?!) polystyrene.

Yes, I realise I sound like a dick, but hey it's the pet peeves thread!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Microsoft Teams, when a scheduled meeting starts, automatically cancels out any music you're listening to, while not actually pausing it, regardless of whether or not you're actually connecting into the meeting.

My company has loads of optional daily briefings etc. that are in everyone's calendar, so this happens several times per day. Stop it, Teams!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

Go to control panel -> sound -> communications and select the last option, "do nothing", it stops "important" apps from muting "unimportant" apps

I love you.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

franco posted:

Mainly a work thing: people who always flag their emails as "high importance". I'm capable of checking all my emails and deciding what's most urgent/important. You're not jumping the queue or getting to the top of the pile, especially as every other fucker is doing the same thing so it becomes completely meaningless.

This, and also putting a read-receipt on it. I have literally never allowed a read-receipt to go back to the sender, because gently caress them.

On the subject of language and academia, when I used to have to read and engage in literary criticism for my degree, I used to hate the amount of florid language critics would use when discussing literature. It just served to highlight that a lot of them were more interested in showing off their own creative writing chops than actually deconstructing the work in any meaningful or edifying way.

Really, though, I just hate myself because I was really good at spouting off this flatulent nonsense, and my lecturers loved it and gave me good marks :(

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I love wildlife and birds and the CONCEPT of the dawn chorus.

However, when they're all happening outside my window every day from 4am onwards I am less of a fan. We have at least one nest in the gutter above our bedroom window, plus more in the surrounding trees. So, basically, we're surrounded by sparrows and starlings who are chirping, chattering and clattering and waking me up every day until they emigrate away again.

(edit : sparrows aren't migratory but they seem to vanish in the colder months anyway)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I loving hate how lazy our IT helpdesk is. I know they get overwhelmed with stupid bullshit tickets all days but when I send them:

"My remote desktop utility is freezing, requiring restart every 10 minutes or so; internet connection on both ends is good and the program's diagnostic utility isn't reporting any latency issues at all, please advise. Additionally, there have been several logins from IPs that don't correspond to my computer, there may have been unauthorized access"

and I get back:

"Internet connection at your on-site computer is good, please contact your ISP, ticket closed"

I want to punch a hole in the wall. I haven't gotten anything done all day, which isn't their fault, but I sat through 5 hours of IT security seminars and other assorted horseshit for them, the least they could do is read past the first semi-colon on my loving help ticket.

It must be a lovely job in general, but our IT helpdesk is much the same. My favourite is when I submit a ticket, they fire back asking for more info, I provide it, and then they sit on it for two weeks before sending an automated message saying, ‘Hey, we’ve not heard from you in a while so we’re closing your ticket!’

Added points for being all surly with me when I fire back to point out that no, it’s not closed, they just never got back to me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
New pet peeve is people who post some fact or insight on twitter followed by 'just sit for a minute. Just let that sink in.'

no, gently caress you! I immediately think a lot less of whatever the content of the tweet was due to this smug, patronising bullshit.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Similarly when people say 'oh i didn't get your text message/email/DM, it must not have sent properly'. That doesn't just happen yknow. If that happens it will tell me and I'll be notified it didn't send right. There is no mysterious internet ghost that goes around eating people's DMs and text messages so that it tells me it sent properly but you don't receive it.

Yeah this is super irritating, especially when in a work context. It's usually bosses or clients who do this 'HEY THAT'S WEIRD I NEVER GOT IT / IT NEVER SENT, OH WELL PLEASE CLEAR UP MY MESS ANYWAY BYE'.

Actually, spin off peeve : I now work in a role where I have to work closely with clients, and they're loving idiotic and lazy a lot of the time. So, so much of my time is spent politely explaining that what they're asking me to do is empirically a terrible idea, and then having to tell them what they actually want me to do.

There's never any humility on their side, and they're always quick to throw me under a bus if they think I hosed up, but if my company and I just did what we were told and followed their instructions even like 75% of the time then they would be so, so hosed.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Another peeve is also the people who are like "eh, so what if I get rona? I'm young and healthy"

Jesus loving gently caress off christ

I'm 26 and was decently buff and lean and rona loving floored me and all my roomies. I lost almost thirty pounds and it took weeks after I recovered before me or any of my roommates could safely take the loving stairs. Rona can and will loving floor you. And being unable to fill your lungs with air is way, way more terrifying than you think it is.

Worse than that, it shows that actually they have a fundamental disregard, or misunderstanding, of why we should be shielding, distancing and locking down. I couldn't give a gently caress if you, hypothetical selfish 30 year old, catch coronavirus - but I do give a gently caress about the blameless people you might infect as you obliviously go about your business. And then the knock on effect THOSE people getting infected will have on others, and on the health service and... yeah, basic loving pandemic stuff.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
As a pedestrian, I have started scrupulously avoiding eye contact with any drivers when I want to cross, just in case they decide to be overly polite and let me cross when they don’t need to.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It pisses me off how the Fifa games have no 'be taken over by a billionaire oligarch/middle Eastern Prince' option on their career modes, so I can hog wild with Wycombe Wanderers and sign outrageous players.

One of the fifas a few years ago had a glitch which gave you infinite money, and it was great fun building up a squad of sulking mercenaries and decimating the opposition.

Instead, career mode for lower league sides is an absolute slog, with a scouting mechanic that is completely unfit for purpose (your scouts will make helpful recommendations like 'sign raheem sterling', so the only way to realistically get it done is to look up all the players online and do it that way.

To make matters worse, on this edition of fifa, the board set you financial objectives, so not only do I have a miniscule transfer budget, but they also want me to make a net £900k profit in my first transfer window, so I basically have to sell my best players else get sacked.

I guess it's realistic, but it's really not fun at all.

Wider point : all games, regardless of genre, should have cheat codes that let you do whatever the gently caress you want, and it's petty and cruel that they don't.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
When staff in restaurants or shops get obsessed with my baby and don't leave her/us alone. Like, yes, she's super-adorable, and I will think you're a monster if you don't agree, but we didn't actually invite you to this meal out with us, so maybe give us more than a few minutes peace at a time...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

loving selfish people with no shame about how selfish they are being even when you point it out to them

i work at a grocery store and a few minutes ago i had a white woman with a toddler child trying to buy 4 loaves of a bread we have to ration at 2 per person due to supply constraints. "i have had to come in here looking for this bread every day for two weeks," she says angrily.

"i do understand that, ma'am, and it's very frustrating. everyone else has had to do the exact same thing. it wouldn't be fair to everyone else for me to give you more than your fair share."

"Then I'll have my daughter buy two. she's a customer." her daughter is, again, a toddler sitting in the baby seat of the cart babbling in toddler speech.

"Ma'am, i do understand your frustration but i won't sell them to your daughter right now either."

"This is loving ridiculous. I can't loving believe this. Limit of two that's loving ridiculous. I've been looking for this for weeks and you've been sold out and now you'll only sell me loving two. gently caress you."

at which point she paid and left in a huff, snarling that she didn't need a loving receipt as a parting shot as if she thought that would somehow hurt me lol

I'm not at all surprised by her refusal to even acknowledge when i pointed out that everyone else had the exact same problem as her, but i am disappointed that people are so garbage at times

If there's one thing the pandemic has been good for, it's reminding you that the vast majority of the world's population are selfish assholes who value their own wellbeing and convenience above literally anything else, up to and including human lives.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Tiggum posted:

When people have their hair styled so it hangs forward, like, partially in front of their own face. It always slips too far forward and falls in front of their eye and they push it back and it falls forward again and it drives me insane. How is it not driving them insane? It makes me reflexively brush my own hair back even though it wasn't bothering me - and if I've been looking at this person for long enough I've probably already done so several times already. It's like when you see someone has some food or something on their face; you just can't focus on anything else until they deal with it.

Same but when somebody obviously needs to clear their throat when they're talking.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I like watching videos of drummers, and YouTube is constantly trying to get me to watch videos of other people reacting to videos of those drummers. I watched one which had like 250k+ views and it was boring and stupid, but all the comments were fawning over how hilarious the reacting guy was. I'm baffled.

Also, whenever I leave YouTube on, it always just repeats the same few videos again and again. Like, there's a live concert dvd uploaded on YouTube, with every single track on there individually... But it just shows me the same two, over and over. Why is this?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
On the first ever day of my first ever proper job, like ten years ago, I accidentally took a dump in the ladies toilets, thinking it was the men's. I was just sat there in the cubicle, heard some ladies come in and talk, waited til they left and then got out of there asafp. No one saw me, so no harm done.

However, to this day, whenever I need to take a dump in a public toilet, I always get a flash of paranoia that I have repeated my mistake, even though I literally never have.

That is my pet peeve.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
When you need some garlic, and find out that the bulb is made up of loads of puny cloves rather than half a dozen big ones, so you have to spend loads more time peeling.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Just chop 'em all, you can never have too much garlic

It's the peeling, man, the peeling. The more you peel, the more sticky your fingers get with garlic juice, the harder it is to get all the skin off.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

There's no need to peel garlic because the peely part dissolves after cooking for a couple of minutes. Just mash it hard with the side of your knife and throw it in.

I feel like this can't POSSIBLY be true because if it were then I would know it, and it would mean all my favourite chefs have been lying to me for my entire life :(

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Amazon have started adding a 'rate your delivery' link after a package has been dropped off. Absolutely no way I'm doing that, because you know for sure it's gonna result in people getting fired. Even if someone just hurls a package at my front door in the pouring rain, I don't want them to lose their jobs.

Yes, i realise that any moral high ground taken as an amazon customer is not a very high high ground at all.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Hats in restaurants make me go all Tony soprano. Just so classless. But rather than go over to them and pant angrily until they take it off, I just stay at my table and pant angrily at my wife and nothing happens??

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Definitely been mentioned in this thread before, but the absolute worst example of that is loving "vidya"/"vidja" in reference to games. What purpose does it serve? Does spelling it like this coat your hobby in a layer of detached irony which makes you feel better about it? I don't get it at all, but it annoys the hell out of me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I hate how streaming services always want to rush you on to the next episode or trailer or whatever. Like, I just finished s4 of Bosch, which has this beautiful final shot and a lovely song playing as it fades to credits and then it gives me literally 4 seconds to realise its autoplaying the first episode of s5 and I didn't lunge for the remote quick enough, so, well, I guess that's that then.

I know it's anathema to modern life and media to be able to sit and digest things for a minute, but come on man, it's the last episode of the series!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bomrek posted:

Every time I cut my hair at home (as you do in a pandemic) i have to embrace the possibility that the whole thing gets buzzed off in a fit of pique/truly terrible haircutting skills.

İt's like jumping off a cliff. You must trust yourself

That's the joy of lockdown. You can experiment! Currently I am growing out a 'tache and have a buzzcut, and thus look like a poo poo, fat, Freddie Mercury. But hell, it's only my wife and child who have to suffer through seeing me every day.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I hate being in work meetings where like, someone thinks it's Tuesday but it's actually Wednesday, or they accidentally leave themselves on mute when trying to answer a question, and everyone on the call is chuckling away and acting like something genuinely really amusing has happened.

I know at least some of it is etiquette, but what the gently caress is wrong with people? I just can't bring myself to engage with it beyond smiling politely, but I guess that probably makes me a prick.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Working from home has massively skewed my perceptions of what a working day should be, and also my worklife balance - mainly in a positive way, but it's probably not necessarily sustainable.

Effectively, all my chores now get done during work time, often during meetings (of which I have at least 90 minutes per day). This is good, BUT, if I'm unable to get stuff done during the day, it now feels like a gross injustice for me to have to do anything in the evening. If I have a few days in the week when I can't get anything done during work time, then oh poo poo the house is a mess and we have no clean laundry.

Similarly, due to being an awful procrastinator and having, often, a lot of downtime during my working day, I am spending an embarrassing amount of time playing video games, watching TV and going on long walks; if I were in the office, this time would have been spent listening to music while idly clicking around on a spreadsheet. I can't decide whether I should just embrace this and accept that it's fine to spend a lot of my paid time doing gently caress all (because I still achieve what needs to be achieved), or whether I should be ashamed of myself, ban myself from anything fun, and go above and beyond at work.

The second option is incredibly unlikely.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If making a living from home on a computer is a thing you can do then gently caress off with complaining about your work life balance and embrace how loving privileged you are.

The bad things about rona year are manyfold and “I work from my home office” is so far far down the list it’s laughable gently caress off

I don't think anyone is actually complaining about working from home.

Also, yeah, corona sucks, but if we apply your logic in the pet peeves thread, then unless you're starving to death in a war zone then no one's allowed to post.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Ugly pets are fantastic, but the practice of pedigree breeding should absolutely go. There was something on telly a few months ago about people getting duped out of thousands of pounds cos they were buying moggies who they thought were Persians or whatever, and all I could think was just 'good. gently caress em.'

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
People telling you every loving detail of their most recent minor ailment.

"Well, it started on Tuesday, and it was just a runny nose, you know, but then on Wednesday afternoon my throat started tickling, but my nose was a bit clearer. By Wednesday night I had developed a cough, and was feeling quite bunged up, but I felt OK in myself, not too bad. By Friday it had started clearing up, but it feels like now I'm getting ANOTHER cold!" OH MY GOD I DON'T CARE. WHO WOULD EVER CARE ABOUT THIS? Yes, this is my mother-in-law, why do you ask?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

if i ask a question online, either answer it plainly or shut the gently caress up. don't tell me to google it, don't lecture me on piracy or whatever arbitrary personal morality you have, don't start a discussion, just answer the question

When I get stuck on a game, I tend to Google what to do next, and often get reddit users who have already asked the same question as me. Invariably, in the responses, there'll be some sanctimonious oval office saying "Well, if you actually paid attention to the game's environmental story telling, you'd find out the answer. Why don't you explore the game world and find out the answer for yourself?"

Dude, I get to play video games for like maybe 1 hour a day on average... if I get stuck, I just wanna progress, I don't want to spend hours retreading areas just because I missed a keycode written on a whiteboard.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Spalec posted:

Spotify, why are your adverts so goddamn loud? I shouldn't have to scramble to grab my phone when an advert starts to turn it down. And why do you only have 4 adverts that you endlessly repeat? Is the idea just to be as annoying as possible so I'll subscribe?

That is literally the exact idea, yeah.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I can’t articulate why, but I hate hate HATE food discussion on the forums (which are always derails, because I don’t read any food threads).

It’s boring as gently caress, and I can only ever imagine just grotesque, neckbearded , fat fuckers with anime avatars greasily pontificating about which is better, cheese-covered bacon or bacon-covered cheese.

What makes it weird is that I love cooking, and eating, talking about recipes, watching cookery shows etc in IRL.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Smart speakers in general piss me off. You always sound like a dick when you're shouting at it, and even more like a dick when it doesn't understand you first time so you have to shout louder. They're creepy as gently caress, and have maybe like two genuinely useful features.

Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook can get the gently caress out of my house with their cameras and microphones.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Novels which don't have short chapters or 'sections'. I'm not saying I want the da Vinci Code, but I've just started reading Under the Volcano, and the first chapter is 48 pages long, with no breaks.

Perhaps growing up reading Discworld has overly accustomed me to novels being broken up fairly regularly, but a fifty page chapter would take like... I dunno, maybe like 90 minutes worth of unbroken reading, which unfortunately ain't gonna happen.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The Discworld novels? Am I misremembering or do they, in fact, have no chapter breaks at all? I guess you can stop reading anywhere you like, but that's also true of books with chapters.

They have no formal chapters, but lots of breaks. I don't know what the formal term for it is, but like when one section ends and then there's a * * * seperating it from the next bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
My big bosses keep on scheduling big company meetings for 0830, and then cancelling them at 2030 the night before, meaning I don't know about it until AFTER I've rearranged childcare and got myself sorted for the day.