Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Why would you think that? Do they have some magical guarantee of employment upon graduation no one else is aware of or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
No, but they are tied #1 in terms of ranking by US News for Archives and Preservation programs, and I have been led to believed that that kind of reputation would be helpful in getting a job. I know that even if I do get in their program, it's still gonna be a struggle to get a job, but I'm just wondering if it will actually make any kind of difference.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You can be underemployed and poor no matter where you go. Stop worrying.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For the most part, no one cares if you go to a top school. Now if you went to a school everyone knows is terrible, that they would care about. After you get your first job and build a reputation it doesn't matter anymore anyway.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Reputation is nothing, experience is everything.

I've said before, and I will tell anyone thinking of any library related profession, do as much practical work that demonstrates real ability to do the job as you possibly can during your course work: internships, practicums, volunteering, lower level positions in the organizations you wish to work for, anything at all.

Pretty much every entry level job ad you see will list "Two or more years of experience", and if you have these things to fall back on, to tell people how you've actually done the job, rather than how you think you might do it if given the opportunity, your ability to get hired increases astronomically.

To put it another way, I had an interview where one of the hiring committee members, the one who chairs the library board, went to the same high school, college, and master's program that I did, albeit about 30 years earlier. He even made sure to mention this, quite happily, in front of everyone. This is in a different state about 450 miles away, so the odds of this happening are really really low. I did not get the job, because the other candidate had a bit more experience in adult programming and management than I did. The job I did recently get was all because of the programs I ran at my old library, the restructuring I did, and the good impressions I made on the hiring committee of that library.

This might be different in the archives world, but there isn't an equivalent of the "Harvard MBA" or "Stanford J.D." in the library world. A colleague of mine paid about ten times more to get her degree from a private university than I did from a state school (she didn't, actually, because of scholarships, but the tuition at Syracuse is still insane by any measure). We both make about the same and work in public libraries.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I can't ever think of a job hiring committee that asked for anything beyond "ALA accredited degree" and even then they showed no favorites to any particular institutions.

Any yahoo can get a degree. It's the rest of what they can do that counts.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

It does kind of matter who you know. If there is even one well known archivist teaching at the school you choose though, that is enough for most people. Just make sure to take a class or two with that person or do some intern work under them. In the case of University of Pittsburgh it was Dr. Richard Cox. He was quite the character, but whenever I talk to archivists, they inevitably know him.

And it's true not at an academic level too. I am fortunate to know the on person who all historians know in Maryland. If I wanted to get a job in the state in an archives at a public library, historical society or museum, I've totally got the name to drop.

And as much as I rail against the concept of "it's who you know", in public libraries, it's possible to get by on your own merit. In archives, you'd better know someone. If for nothing else, so that they can pass along insider information about open jobs and opportunities. Jobs and internships can be mighty hard to find at smaller institutions, and these people will be your best bet at finding them.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I lost a friend because I tried to talk him into talking his girlfriend out of pursuing an MS in Library Science. When I told him that there were no new jobs and it's a saturated market, he just rebuffed me with "how do you know that?" And pretty much all I've got is anecdotal evidence from friends looking for jobs and this thread. So, he basically thinks I'm a naysaying jerk who doesn't respect professions outside of my own, and we are not on speaking terms anymore.

Are there any formal figures/information that I can use in the future to back up this argument, or am I really the jerk in this situation?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Not a Children posted:

Are there any formal figures/information that I can use in the future to back up this argument, or am I really the jerk in this situation?

Here you go, the number you want in there is 83% of 2014 graduates are employed full time. But it is more nuanced of course since that is people had to opt in to reply to the survey, what exactly is their job, are they full time in the library field or part time, etc.

http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2015/10/placements-and-salaries/2015-survey/explore-all-the-data-2015/

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Reputation is nothing, experience is everything.

This is pretty much it. For the most part no one cares where you went to school. They care you know the job, and it can help who you know but that is a hit or miss thing. For example, my first job out of school ended up being in Philadelphia (I went to Milwaukee) because I took a class field trip to do archival disaster recovery in Germany with some others in my program, one of which lived in Delaware and saw a job opening that she thought was perfect for me and I ended up getting it. If I never took that trip and met that other student I might still not be employed in the field.

On the other hand, these classes tend to be small so the faculty is going to know almost everyone so I don't know how useful it is to know the same person everyone else in your class does unless you impress them enough to have them recommend you or so.

I can't speak for other areas of the country but Philly is fairly incestuous. If you get a job in an institution you will probably spend your whole career getting passed around from institution to institution in the area. In that case knowing someone at certain places and getting an internship or project position with them can help you get on that track. Chances are they will never ask or talk about where you went to school though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

nesbit37 posted:

I can't speak for other areas of the country but Philly is fairly incestuous. If you get a job in an institution you will probably spend your whole career getting passed around from institution to institution in the area. In that case knowing someone at certain places and getting an internship or project position with them can help you get on that track. Chances are they will never ask or talk about where you went to school though.

I had always wondered about this.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for answering my question. I'm actually relieved to hear that choice of school doesn't really matter, since then it becomes a matter of affordability. Also, thank you for all the advice on "experience > reputation." I've actually been interning at an archive this semester, and after reading this thread, I am definitely going to try and volunteer there as much as I can as next semester.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
To be honest if you had a decent GPA (nobody cares if you get straight As) and then you had a ton of hands on experience.... Well you're already ahead of the game. Demonstrable and applicable experience for the job is what gets you hired.

Librarians prefer to hire someone who is.... Shelf ready.

:v:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think someone asked this question a few pages ago and no one answered, but what other jobs can you get with an MLIS? I'm going to be on the hunt soon and I want to cast a fairly wide net.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I was told yesterday the grant funding my position is up at the end of the year. During the meeting, I was encouraged to apply to a similar appointment they're recruiting for, but I think it's curtains for part-time, low-stress, boring work. I've had a year at a catastrophically mismanaged institution, and am honestly relieved it's come to this: there's been no room for professional development or advancement, and the bureaucracy is insufferable. I have five weeks to hammer out resumes, apply for positions, and otherwise prepare.

While my background and recent professional experiences have been in special collections/rare books/archives, I'd really like to get into the data analysis field: I have an undergrad degree in STEM from a fairly prestigious engineering school, and a slew of informatics/info science courses/research projects in grad school. I'm looking for entry-level junior positions, having taught myself Python and R, and am ready to hustle hustle hustle to get a position.

It's a long shot, but any insight into making the transition would be much appreciated and helpful.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Pompadour Diamond posted:

Thanks for answering my question. I'm actually relieved to hear that choice of school doesn't really matter, since then it becomes a matter of affordability. Also, thank you for all the advice on "experience > reputation." I've actually been interning at an archive this semester, and after reading this thread, I am definitely going to try and volunteer there as much as I can as next semester.

I disagree that where you go doesn't really matter. The institution is really important, especially for different sub-disciplines like archives, rare books, etc. I know plenty of graduates from mostly online programs (UK, Claremont, Kent State, etc.) that have suffered in the job market tremendously and had trouble landing positions. Don't throw yourself into six figures of debt, but give serious consideration to the quality of the school you're attending.

Also, definitely look at big state schools. I went to Indiana University and the depth and breadth of professional opportunity there was staggering. I graduated with (already) 3-4 years of professional experience from campus work, research, and internships. The big schools have the resources and libraries to support this kind of personal/professional development.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bitchkrieg posted:

While my background and recent professional experiences have been in special collections/rare books/archives, I'd really like to get into the data analysis field: I have an undergrad degree in STEM from a fairly prestigious engineering school, and a slew of informatics/info science courses/research projects in grad school. I'm looking for entry-level junior positions, having taught myself Python and R, and am ready to hustle hustle hustle to get a position.

It's a long shot, but any insight into making the transition would be much appreciated and helpful.

If you've got a good handle on statistics, you might try looking at social sciences departments. I know the college of education I am currently attending has a guy doing the job I think you are looking for (helping researchers run their analyses and make sure they have their numbers right).

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Scenario: I've worked in the library for about 10 years now(no Library Science Degree) I started as a part time IT guy, eventually I managed inter-library loan along with front desk duties. Over time my responsibilities and wages have increased. When we remodeled and added on to the library I was made the de facto reference librarian and got involved in the programming aspect of librarianship I helped organize and plan the major events and eventually I became the Library Director's right hand man. About six months ago our director left and the board put me in charge of the day to day operation of the library while we search for a director. For a while our old director stayed on to manage the books but about two months ago I became responsibility for non budget finance aspects of the library. To make a long story short I've now pretty much been involved in all aspects of Public Librarianship and I am considering if it's worth getting a library degree to pad my resume so i can leave this poo poo hole of a state(Kansas).

So my question is, is it worth getting an MLS? My impression right now being involved in hiring various positions is it's damned hard to get a library job and I should probably be happy with what I have and/or go into traditional IT.

Beo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 8, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
An MLS will make it easier but it isn't a guarantee. Places will also consider experience when applicable in lieu of a degree, and since it sounds like it's been years for you that might work. In some places though you have to have the degree. Where I work, if your official HR title has librarian in it you have to have an mls.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Bitchkrieg posted:

Update:
I landed a job as a systems / business analyst at a defense contractor. I'm moving for the position, and I had the luxury of picking and choosing who I interviewed with and ultimately accepted. I got a ton of interviews and my job search lasted all of three weeks. My salary as an "entry level" analyst will be twice what I made previously, and there's a ton of positions/growth opportunities.

Other library professionals: stay tech savvy and you are seriously marketable for a number of positions outside traditional librarianship. I was amazed.

Also walking in and quitting my job, on the spot, was one of the most gratifying experiences of my life. I was grinding my teeth over mismanagement/boredom/operations and it's amazing how much leaving a lovely position immediately improved my life.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I had my first ever phone interview for a patron services technician position yesterday and I totally blew it. I was not prepared for the questions they asked me, things like "what's you're favorite library story," and "sell me on something."
I guess I expected to answer more customer service oriented questions.
I have another interview tomorrow at an academic library and I badly want this job.
Any tips or questions I can expect?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

remigious posted:

I had my first ever phone interview for a patron services technician position yesterday and I totally blew it. I was not prepared for the questions they asked me, things like "what's you're favorite library story," and "sell me on something."
I have another interview tomorrow at an academic library and I badly want this job.

I find that librarians are often involved in hiring even if they don't really have much to do with the job directly. Do you know the job title of the person who is interviewing you tomorrow? If they area librarian, be prepared to have some questions like that. If they are more like a section supervisor or something the questions will probably be more directly related to the job because they will have more experience.

I base this on my limited experience interviewing for library jobs in the last year and being involved slightly in the selections for applicants at my current job. People will help interview/evaluate candidates that would be lateral to them in another department... Seems real dumb to me but there you go.

Be prepared to talk about the library's role in supporting research and the prestige of your organization. The library does not generate money directly but you are a valuable arm of your organization that streamlines things and saves time for researchers/actual important people and you are a feather in the cap of your organization when it comes to them recruiting students/faculty.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Those questions sound dumb and your interviewers should feel dumb.

I'm not a public services person but for any academic position I'd say it's best to prepare for some variation on

* What interests you about this position?
* What's your library and/or academic background?
* What's your management style (if there's any supervisory aspect at all)/what do you look for in a manager?
* What makes you a good fit for this position?

For public services you might expect some variation on

* How would you deal with a problem patron?
* What's your customer service background?
* How would you help someone find [thing]? (Bear in mind [thing] may be something you know nothing about, so think in terms of general search strategies.)
* How do you deal with stress?

General tips:

LOOK AT THEIR WEBSITE BEFOREHAND. Familiarize yourself with their basic services. See if there's anything they really emphasize.

There will always be at least one question that throws you for a loop. Always. Don't panic, breathe, say "That's a good question! Let me see..." (even if it's a stupid question) and don't be afraid to take a moment to think. If you can tangentially relate the question it to *anything* in your experience you can generally spin it into something that will serve. "I'm not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind, but..." and "Does that answer your question?" are useful bookends. But sometimes some rear end in a top hat will ask something ludicrously open-ended like WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF LIBRARIES and you're just gonna have to punt.

Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or more information.

If there's time for *you* to ask questions at the end of the interview take advantage of it, but keep it general (tell me about the institution, how do students/faculty mostly use the library, what's a typical day like at [place]). Save specific questions about benefits packages or whatnot for an on-site interview.

Wonderslug fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 2, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

remigious posted:

Uhhhh I'm guessing the person who directed that interview wasn't sure of what questions were good to ask and just made poo poo up because holy hell those are terrible questions

Anyway, I've been on a hiring committee twice for my academic library, both times for finding someone to hire as the Circulation Manager. I've still got the questions we asked the interviewees for their initial phone interviews and the face-to-face interviews. I don't know how helpful this will be since I don't know what position you're applying for, but you can see the questions here.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thank you all for the amazingly valuable insight. I just finished my MLIS last month and I am only bringing volunteer experience to the table, so I know I have quite the uphill battle on my hands. Tomorrow I am interviewing for a library technician position, which appears to be customer service oriented. I will definitely go over their website and mission statement and prepare as best as I can. I have only been applying to entry level positions, which is a good fit for what I can personally offer, but competition is pretty fierce.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Yes, definitely check their library website first. It can help to make a chart of what strengths you have and which ones match their particular mission and clientele.

Also, don't forget to check their local consortia and associations. That affects a lot of things of what they would do on the job.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

"What's your favorite story?" Really? That reminds me of an interview I had when they asked me what I liked to do for fun (roll eyes) and when I didn't mention reading, they were appalled.

Here's a Forbes article I read the other day about terrible interview questions that employers still ask and how best to answer them. I know that I have been asked at least 4 of these and some of them in multiple interviews. Good idea to prepare for them. http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2016/01/24/how-to-answer-the-five-dumbest-job-interview-questions/#5b4450b634c1

I need some reassurance hopefully from some of you who have had the imposter problem before. I just got a new job as a branch manager in a system I have never worked in before. I got this position after having been a Librarian with a short stint as being an interim branch manager at my current library. In that system you pretty much go from Librarian to branch manager because it's a small system. In the new library there are two levels between librarian and branch manager: department supervisors and assistant branch managers.

Never having been either of those and only having been a branch manager for a short period of time I am beginning to feel like I am woefully underprepared for this job. I don't start until March, what can I do to make sure that I'm not completely clueless when I start?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

a friendly penguin posted:

I need some reassurance hopefully from some of you who have had the imposter problem before. I just got a new job as a branch manager in a system I have never worked in before. I got this position after having been a Librarian with a short stint as being an interim branch manager at my current library. In that system you pretty much go from Librarian to branch manager because it's a small system. In the new library there are two levels between librarian and branch manager: department supervisors and assistant branch managers.

Never having been either of those and only having been a branch manager for a short period of time I am beginning to feel like I am woefully underprepared for this job. I don't start until March, what can I do to make sure that I'm not completely clueless when I start?

Granted I manage a department in an academic library so I am not sure of the exact crossover to public, but generally if this is a more managerial role its just getting up on your people skills. By that I don't mean how to be nice and carry a conversation, but balancing the needs of your supervisees with the needs of the branch and the system. It can be a difficult adjustment but you need to watch out for those you supervise while simultaneously making sure you are acting with your organizational purview's best interest in mind.

You'll probably be fine. Imposter syndrome sucks. I've been more or less a department head for more than 6 years now and at two different institutions and I still feel like I have no idea what I am doing a lot of the time.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

What I do when I'm feeling that way:

--Reread the job description, then double check what I actually do. The job is usually easier than I've built it up to be in my head, and the expectations lower than I've built them up to be.

--Rephrase my thoughts about the job. Rather than "poo poo, I need to do X Y and Z, and also what if I forget..." instead try to put it "Oh, I just need to do X, Y, and Z, which I already know how to do, and which aren't all that difficult, and put P and Q on my calendar."

--If you aren't in a highly competitive system, talking with older librarians and other folks in your position can help a lot. Phrasing it as gripes and jokes, letting other people laugh about it, listening to how they do it and stealing their ideas whole hog... And even if it is competitive, chatting with what other librarians, letting them talk and seeing what they're actually doing, as opposed to some kid in New York City with a Canon Rebel and a fancy Wordpress template, can help you re-calibrate your expectations for what the job consists of.

--Remembering that most people just don't care because they aren't watching that closely, and that you're being your own worst critic. You wouldn't be getting this job unless you deserved it; if you were the sort of person getting the job via politics, you wouldn't be feeling this way.

As for actually managing (sorry if some of this is redundant or inapplicable):

--Talk to your people!

--Seriously, be around and talk to your staff. Have meetings, walk around, be present, and make sure its understood in a non-creepy way that you are available and will help solve problems. Taking a rotation at circ and/or reference once or twice a week will do wonders for your staff interaction. (I don't know exactly how big your branch is, or if you're the sole librarian, but regardless) If they see you are invested in them, they will work harder, and give you less poo poo about pretty much everything. Also, you can actually make friends, enjoy going to work, etc. etc.

--Stay on top, but trust people to do their jobs. This is a bit weird, and achieving the balance takes a little work, but basically, you want to let people do their jobs, while only peeking in periodically to make sure that the job is getting done. This is related to the above, where you want to be around, but not necessarily involved in what they're doing. You aren't watching over shoulder to make sure your processing people are really putting on CapCo correctly or whatever, but you do want to drop in occasionally to say hello and ask how they're doing, let them know if any changes are coming before the new stuff arrives, maybe even ask them to show you how to do it so you have this particular branch's procedures down (if you're moving to a new branch). But otherwise, if they're meeting the quota, don't worry so much how they're getting the job done, provided it's getting done correctly. You'll look like a good, flexible boss who cares, and they'll generally be more amenable to changes down the line if you need to make them.

--Explain the reason for changes. People need to trust you, and if they understand why they are happening and how they will be implemented, there's generally less grumbling. Make sure you take questions, too. You need to be enthusiastic about said changes, also, to try and sweep people up in the momentum.

--Check your budget regularly. Again, this varies from system to system, but making sure you're on top of it, and on course to spend just about everything the month before the end of budget year will help insure that you don't need to do a gigantic rush at the end.

--Stay in contact with your other area managers. If they have a monthly system meeting, go to it. If they do drinks once a week, go out. You'll stay connected, you'll know who's up for transfers, who's in the pipeline for promotion, and can help your own career down the line, as people tend to want to work with people they already know. You can more easily partner with them, swap ideas for programs and projects, trade anecdotes and blow off steam, etc.

--Have a life outside the library. Seriously. Go do something else for a while once you clock out. A lot of folks, especially once they hit management, start treating the job like its their entire life. It isn't. It's a good job, for certain values of good, but it is also a job that you should walk away from at the end of the day and, especially if it's been a bad day, think about something else. Play board games. Knit. Go wine tasting. Tip cows. Hit up the local firing range. Go to the area S&M dungeon. Whatever floats your boat. Just make sure you can talk about non-library related things, and that you have non-library friends. This will save your sanity.

--Drink. Heavily. But I doubt I had to remind you of this one, did I?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
The best way to counter imposter syndrome is to keep the mentality that most of your coworkers are probably also faking it or are hilariously underqualified.

(because it's true)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This goddam job:

Library Journal posted:

Additionally, bear-shape-shifters seem to be gaining some traction in paranormal, as evidenced by Kate Baxter's e-original Stripped Bear, recently published by St. Martin's. Coming soon is Vonnie Davis's new bear-shifting Highland novel, Bearing It All (Loveswept: Random, Oct.). In the pine-dense mountains of the Scottish Highlands, shape-shifter Ronan Matheson is running free when "a desperate woman parachutes out of the sky, directly into his furry, powerful chest." A Scottish hunter and a French secret agent head into danger--and irresistible desire. Fans of Jennifer Ashley and Shelly Laurenston will find that this one bears watching.

More paranormal out soon includes a dragon-shifters duo...

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/21/tumblrs-meme-librarian-has-the-best-job-on-the-internet/

quote:

Brennan’s official job title is content and community associate at Tumblr, but everyone at the microblogging platform calls her their “meme librarian.” She spends her days on the front lines of an online meme’s creation, dissemination and, yes, inevitable death.

Isn't this more of a digital archivist?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Also everyone post their favorite mint julep recipe (this is what Confluence and LibGuides is for right?).

1 oz homemade simple syrup (infused with peppermint extract)
6 fresh mint leaves
3 oz Knob Creek bourbon
1 tsp sugar

Muddle mint and sugar.
Fill tumbler with crushed ice
Pour bourbon over ice
Add simple syrup
Stir

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

2 oz. Bourbon, served in a Glencairn glass. Van Winkle, if you live in a mansion inherited from your great grandfather who also owned an oil refinery. Buffalo Trace if not. No ice.
1 Thin Mint brand Girl Scout cookie or, if not available, Pepperidge Farm mint Milano cookie, served on plate.
Repeat consumption until unconscious.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

I usually only drink beer or energy drink based cocktails but that's probably because I'm just a no-MLS having scrub.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This goddam job:

Sometimes I can't decide if i should laugh or cry when I read through the fantasy/paranormal/sci fi new releases.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Fumaofthelake posted:

I usually only drink beer or energy drink based cocktails but that's probably because I'm just a no-MLS having scrub.

Shouldn't that just mean you have MORE booze money than people paying for another degree?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Shouldn't that just mean you have MORE booze money than people paying for another degree?

The majority of our income for a family of 3 is what I make in Access Services as an hourly so not really. I mean I could certainly afford better drinks but I'm classless.

Somewhat related to the topic at hand: If you can get work in an academic library look into their tuition benefits ASAP. I grouse about my pay but I can get a business degree at night for 95% off since I work here. An extra degree can be a great supplement or substitution to an MLIS. YMMV

Here's a gross cocktail I made for us to drink during D&D one week:

Wizened Wizard Thirstberry Blast
One shot vodka
One shot razzmatazz
One fourth of a Five Hour Energy
Fill the rest of the glass with a 50/50 mix of "Ultra Citron" Monster and Wegmans brand Peach Grapefruit diet soda.

If you don't have a Wegmans then whatever is probably fine but I can only vouch for what is listed above.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I did the math. I make a little below what I should probably be making but I get crazy education benefits. For me, spouse, and dependents.

There's a running joke that even academic library paras will "collect degrees."

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom, everyone.

I wish I worked in an academic library for the educational perks. Because isn't that what all librarians secretly want? To have all of the answers inside their own head? It's all my academic peers do, take classes, get whatever degrees.

Instead as a public librarian, I get lynda.com Not terrible, but not academia either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I wish the laws around the academic tuition remission were better for the graduate level. Undergrad stuff its fine, but apparently with grad classes it counts as income so you get hit with it by being taxed on it, and that would also really mess with the rates for my IBR and paying back these $60k in student loans. As its set up, baisically no more grad classes for you student loan havers! Hopefully congress doesn't screw everyone and the whole repayment thing will still be around in ~4 years when I hit the 10 year payback limit and they fix the issue that the full balance of the forgiven debt be counted as income for the year it is forgiven turning a multi-year repayment into a one time tax charge of $30k.

• Locked thread