Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Namtab posted:

Luckily she's not going to kiss you

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Asuka is good, actually.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Kumiko runs like an idiot.
e: she also apparently has poo poo taste in waifus

dordreff fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 29, 2016

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Asuka is really great and I'm really happy with them as a pair and the ending overall

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Just watched the last two eps. They were good and made me feel things. I would have liked a bit more resolution to relationships, but that's fine, it's not really what the show was about, and I'm quite satisfied with the yearlong arc of the band and Kumiko's growth. Kumiko's easily my favorite eupho, and I generally like side characters more than main characters.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love the side characters too, though, paricularly the cute braid piccolo and braids clarinet, enthusiastic cymbal girl, and the funny guy trombone.

The level of detail in this show is just astounding.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dordreff posted:

Kumiko runs like an idiot.
e: she also apparently has poo poo taste in waifus

She had to work with what she was given, which was one of four standard KyotoAni running animations.

Onto the show:

- That last performance of Crescent Moon Dance by the 1st/2nd years was re-recorded. Obviously I could tell based on Reina's solo, which improved just as I predicted it would. I'm not sure if they actually performed it with less players, like if they cut the bass clarinet parts or had newbies fill in, or if they made the percussionists switch parts, but it was fantastic. Even more so when compared to the piece done by the 3rd years, who were, well, not as good, as if to drive home the point that the 3rd years were really the ones carried by the younger players to Nationals, and to suggest a positive outlook for the future.

- I'm glad that this thread pointed out the notebook from the opening scene of episode 1; looking for that and then finally seeing it made this ending even better.

- It's a good thing this wasn't "Blast! Trumpet" featuring protagonist Reina because the ending would have just been a high note contest with none of the character drama and emotions and would have been completely awesome for every trumpet player watching and miserable for everyone else.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it was neat that the third years played the piece from the promo video for the first season

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it was neat that the third years played the piece from the promo video for the first season

I'm super happy they brought it back, because they included it in their live performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoVt3DxEg4

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm not sure if they actually performed it with less players, like if they cut the bass clarinet parts or had newbies fill in, or if they made the percussionists switch parts

I'm pretty sure it was less musicians in this recording. The version in episode 5 sounds a lot fuller, even taking into account the acoustics of the concert hall versus the music classroom. As for the percussionists, bassdrum-chan leveled up to timpani-chan! :3:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

AnacondaHL posted:

- It's a good thing this wasn't "Blast! Trumpet" featuring protagonist Reina because the ending would have just been a high note contest with none of the character drama and emotions and would have been completely awesome for every trumpet player watching and miserable for everyone else.

I would approve of this.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Reina is much better at eavesdropping than Kumiko

How are you so bad at this!?

:3: and whoa... Asuka no... :smith: She's always been my favourite character and I'm glad she's getting some focus in this season even if it is a sad focus and a lot of people talking about her when she's not around. I was legitimately upset at the end of this episode, it really felt very final wrt to her arc despite the way Kumiko's sister's troubles were dovetailing with it.

same :cry: :unsmith:

holy crap :3:

I'm very excited to watch 11, 12 and 13 today :tem:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love Stealth Action Kumiko.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

a kitten posted:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
asuka > reina > kumiko fyi

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
im pretty sure you can just write it out asuka x reina x kumiko and the first ones are assumed to be the tops

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2nd year silver 3rd year gold

time for 4 more seasons cmon

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
As much as I love Eupho and was rooting for a season 2, this was good and a good place to stop it, BD specials aside.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Instead of more Kumiko Noises they should do the apparently even gayer spinoff series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
While I doubt a season 3 would ever happen, I'd be satisfied with a spin-off featuring Sapphire/Midori in normal or SD form.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did Anime S2 end where the last book (#3 I think) did?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I decided to watch this 'cos of all the rec's in the best anime thread for S2 and the first season is good, though I've not watched the final ep of S1 yet but for all the talk of Taki-sensei being a great teacher and the trust he puts in his students, he is a legitimately terrible actual teacher. Dude needs to actually explain what people are doing wrong rather than "yo fix this poo poo"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I decided to watch this 'cos of all the rec's in the best anime thread for S2 and the first season is good, though I've not watched the final ep of S1 yet but for all the talk of Taki-sensei being a great teacher and the trust he puts in his students, he is a legitimately terrible actual teacher. Dude needs to actually explain what people are doing wrong rather than "yo fix this poo poo"

When characters say that they probably mean he is a great conductor. There are small flashes throughout, but when it comes to musical technicalities he spots them and we occasionally see him point them out, without being too overbearing and technical for the viewer's sake. Everything they have shown though has been spot on, in terms of how good conductors operate, and I've seen good conductors that were terrible teachers and some that were incredible teachers.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Kumiko's VA turned in the best performance I've seen all year.

KyoAni's animators turned in the best performance I've seen all year.

Final scene made me feel things. Good show.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

This face!!

Fluff that hair!

Geez, with Reina's repeated confessions and the president breaking down speech, episode 12 was very fun despite, y'know, the overall result. :3:

I'm so glad they went with exploring Kumiko and Asuka's relationship as the emotional through-line for the second half of the season, that confrontation was such a wonderful payoff. God, I felt every moment of Kumiko realising just how much her /other/ sometimes-obnoxious older sister meant to her :gbsmith:

Even if this show wasn't gorgeous pretty much every second it'd be just as affecting imo, it's the voice work that really gets to me. Like, I don't need to see the buildings reflecting in Kumiko's eyes as she stares out of the train but when her voice starts to break in some of the more emotional moments I immediately become a whimpering mess.

I'm really tempted to go and rewatch the whole season altogether now, instead of in short bursts every couple of weeks like i did.

StandardVC10 posted:

Kumiko's VA turned in the best performance I've seen all year.

this so much

:3:

Oh hey there Tamako

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kumiko's voice acting honestly might have been the most impressive thing about the season. So few anime even attempt real naturalism when it comes to voice acting, it feels like, but Kumiko loving sold it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't give a flying fu~~~~~~~~~ck about the oboe and flute players at the start on S2 because I don't even know who they are because S1 didn't show them with any importance at all. Was oboe even there for the group shots in S1?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The voice acting really was superb, especially considering how oblivious I tend to be to that kind of thing and even I noticed it.

Is there more to the source material than what was adapted, or did they roughly end in the same spot?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The voice acting really was superb, especially considering how oblivious I tend to be to that kind of thing and even I noticed it.

Is there more to the source material than what was adapted, or did they roughly end in the same spot?

Kumiko opening the notebook is like the second to last line of the last book. There's some side stories no one gives a poo poo about and a spinoff about Azusa (Kumiko's friend from Rikka we see once or twice) left.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Uznare posted:

Kumiko opening the notebook is like the second to last line of the last book. There's some side stories no one gives a poo poo about and a spinoff about Azusa (Kumiko's friend from Rikka we see once or twice) left.

Gotcha, thanks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Help, who's this chick on the right in episode 2.

She wasn't there when the group went to the pool.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hate-Senpai posted:

One of the trumpet girls:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Hate-Senpai posted:

She came with Yuuko, I guess:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, poo poo, thanks you two.

I didn't even realize her behind Yuko.

It was bugging me so much I stopped watching the episode.

Time to resume.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Hate-Senpai posted:

Oh, poo poo, thanks you two.

I didn't even realize her behind Yuko.

It was bugging me so much I stopped watching the episode.

Time to resume.

I assume that you have never managed to finish an episode of 1980's Transformers or GI Joe then?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't give a flying fu~~~~~~~~~ck about the oboe and flute players

Welcome to the brass section! Do you play trumpet or low brass?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skin flute

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Major Ricardo posted:

I assume that you have never managed to finish an episode of 1980's Transformers or GI Joe then?

Never started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My staple food is LOVE

• Locked thread