Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it good
great
useful
saved my life
i'll save it for next time
View Results

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you erase the chalk mark from your tire after the guy goes by you can park anywhere you want forever, for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
If you lived here, you'd be home by now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If you, like me, suck at parallel parking, try to imagine the front of the car behind you as a garage door your have to back in to, and then just mind the front curb-side corner of your car while you do it. Works best in older cars with actual visibility, though.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Attach multiple license plates to the outside of your car, automated speed cameras and toll booths won't know whats up. Drive everywhere you want forever, for free.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

CharlesM posted:

If you erase the chalk mark from your tire after the guy goes by you can park anywhere you want forever, for free.

I prefer to get my own piece of chalk and put another 10 lines on my tire just to gently caress with them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I prefer to get my own piece of chalk and put another 10 lines on my tire just to gently caress with them.

Coker Wide Whites. Can't chalk poo poo when the whole sidewall is white :boom:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

bolind posted:

If you, like me, suck at parallel parking, try to imagine the front of the car behind you as a garage door your have to back in to, and then just mind the front curb-side corner of your car while you do it. Works best in older cars with actual visibility, though.

My way is:
1. Get parallel with the car in front of the space.
2. Reverse straight back until my rear wheel is past the rear of the other car.
3. Full lock to the right until you can see both lights of the car behind you in the drivers side mirror.
4. Straight back until you can turn the wheel fully to the left.
5. Pretty much done, just line it up a little if needed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I go gas cap instead of rear wheel (not much of a difference tbh) but pretty much the same exact thing

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Nowadays I do it by feel mostly, the Polo is super easy to park, real nice turn circle on the thing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Stoplights timed for 35 are also timed for 70

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You don't have to fix that leaky water pump, buy distilled water in bulk and fill up the radiator as needed!

Replace a CV boot because of a little hole? gently caress that! Just replace the grease you lost through the hole and patch it with RTV!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I parallel park a little differently...

Cached Money posted:

My way is:
1. Get parallel with the car in front of the space.

2. Put car in reverse
3. Curse when some asshat nearly takes off my rear end by pulling into the spot I'm backing into.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

I parallel park a little differently...

2. Put car in reverse
3. Curse when some asshat nearly takes off my rear end by pulling into the spot I'm backing into.

Definitely know that game though.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I watched a drunk dude try to parallel park once, he used the bumper of the cop car behind him to get a feel for how far he could back up.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vote Checkbox.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I park on the sidewalk. Nobody uses those anyway.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Nothing says speed and class like an older European luxury car that's falling apart.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Fresh Valvoline 10W30 is fantastic for classic American foods such as fried chicken and french fries, but when preparing eastern cuisines, I find that the tangy bright flavor of Rotella T places the umami taste front-and-center in your stir-fried vegetable dishes.

Best with Amsoil of course, but you probably wouldn't know anything about that.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
You sure you can use Rotella T in a light stir fry? I hear it's really only for use in heavy duty dishes.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NoWake posted:

Attach multiple license plates to the outside of your car, automated speed cameras and toll booths won't know whats up. Drive everywhere you want forever, for free.

If you're in CA and buy a new car, don't put your plate on your car. Ever. The savings on tolls alone will outweigh the $25 fine you get every 3 or 4 years when you get pulled over.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Quite A Tool posted:

You sure you can use Rotella T in a light stir fry? I hear it's really only for use in heavy duty dishes.

Rotella T is perfect for chili.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Cached Money posted:

3. Full lock to the right until you can see both lights of the car behind you in the drivers side mirror.

I only go until the left (in LHD countries) side of my car is lined up exactly with the middle of the grill of the car behind me. Turning as far as both lights gives me a too steep of an angle, IMO.

EDIT: Wait, are we actually giving real tips here or are we just loving around?

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Remember to aggressively Honk and flash your lights when you've been passed by someone conducting a legal maneuver. This should startle the less seasoned drivers and enable you to regain your place in the race on the highway.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I only go until the left (in LHD countries) side of my car is lined up exactly with the middle of the grill of the car behind me. Turning as far as both lights gives me a too steep of an angle, IMO.

EDIT: Wait, are we actually giving real tips here or are we just loving around?
Both, but in this case it's a real tip. I was taught to straighten up as soon as I see the curb beside it, which works well from my experience. Or at least it works if the car fits in the spot, which is a genuine question when my DD is a Suburban.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Use superglue to get better grip on the steering wheel

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

When you get frustrated on a project, find the largest and coarsest bolt you've removed on the project so far crank it down into your urethra. That will remind you that the project isn't so bad and give you the motivation to continue. I recommend using cylinder head bolts.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Torque stick my crank bolt

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slow is Fast posted:

When you get frustrated on a project, find the largest and coarsest bolt you've removed on the project so far crank it down into your urethra. That will remind you that the project isn't so bad and give you the motivation to continue. I recommend using cylinder head bolts.

Self Tapping sheetmetal screws work better.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Self Tapping sheetmetal screws work better.

Hey we're trying to finish the project not make a loving jacobs ladder or prince albert or whatever crazy rear end hole through dick thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slow is Fast posted:

Hey we're trying to finish the project not make a loving jacobs ladder or prince albert or whatever crazy rear end hole through dick thing.

Don't cross thread the fucker and you'll be ok.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Why do through all the time and effort of buying a project car, dismantling it and stacking the parts in and around the car, to only lose motivation and have to look at the pile of semi car bock up space and gathering dust in your garage.

Why not just buy someone elses dismantled project car and save yourself 6 to 8 quality months of ignoring your wife and children through sinking beer and hard cider in your garage bar. This method also allows for a higher turn over of projects and works with people who have limited tools and skills (You).

Extra life hack: Ensure you lose money on each project car when your sell it, this helps to build Negative truck (car) equity which can be used at a later date to shirk fatherhood responsibilities, through forced Overtime at the Steel Mill to make ends meet.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Anphear posted:

Why not just buy someone elses dismantled project car and save yourself 6 to 8 quality months of ignoring your wife and children through sinking beer and hard cider in your garage bar. This method also allows for a higher turn over of projects and works with people who have limited tools and skills (You).

I've got a coworker doing this by taking his father-in-law's Super Beetle project off him.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Buy gas in the morning - the gas will be colder, so you get more mass per gallon for your money

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Put a potato under your nutsack when you want to pound a nail through it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tujague posted:

Put a potato under your nutsack when you want to pound a nail through it

I'd rather put a potato in your mouth when I pound my nine inch nail in you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Neptr posted:

Buy gas in the morning - the gas will be colder, so you get more mass per gallon for your money

This is actually given out as a real life tip when you take mandatory bankruptcy counseling before you file for bankruptcy.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

cursedshitbox posted:

Don't cross thread the fucker and you'll be ok.

What if the threads are painted?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Quite A Tool posted:

It meets all the culinary standards for light and heavy foods, it's just intended for the heavier stuff.
Rotella T meets the standard for gasoline engines up to 2011 or so, so like for real it's a-ok for cars

Also if you ever for real use Rotella as a cooking oil make sure you tell the story on a first date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Rotella T6 is like Frank's Red Hot because I put that poo poo in everything.

• Locked thread