Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it good
great
useful
saved my life
i'll save it for next time
View Results

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Antifreeze stays fluid by making heat. Drain everything out and never overheat again! The secret BIG AUTO doesn't want you to know. :beck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If you are getting coolant in your oil, don't despair! Just replace the coolant with oil! It's good enough for VWs so it's good enough for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anti-freeze is delicious and makes an excellent ice-cream topping.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Don't have the right fluids? gently caress it dump Pepsi in.

Masking tape is a better electrical repair than any other method.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

General_Failure posted:

If you are getting coolant in your oil, don't despair! Just replace the coolant with oil! It's good enough for VWs so it's good enough for you.

For real, I wonder how long this would work. That sounds like a job for Roadkill or MCM.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bandman posted:

For real, I wonder how long this would work. That sounds like a job for Roadkill or MCM.

Even if a water pump could get the oil moving....

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~mpfs/papers/articles/WTC2005/pdfs/t-3/WTC2005-64316.pdf

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

If you live in the rust belt, cover your entire car with WD40 twice a week.

loving up a rear main seal replacement or loosening the valve cover bolts works better. No need to get under the car, just pull over and fill the oil again any time the light comes on, like you do with the gas tank.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

semon demon posted:

have sex with men that way you wont have kids

Please tell me you're local to me.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Once you've spliced wires together by twisting them around each other, make sure to waterproof the assembly with several wraps of gaffer tape.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Always drive with part time 4wd engaged to increase your 4 wheel going and 4 wheel stopping.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Always driving in the far left lane means you won't have to change lanes as much, improving traffic efficiency.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you gently caress up catastrophically and buy a poorly turbo'd 30 year old Datsun as your first car, get everybody on your side by refusing to listen to reason and making almost no effort to improve your situation whilst spouting some bizarre half-formed opinions about how much more fun your Datsun will be to drive than any American car.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Fill up with 93 every once in a while. Your car will appreciate it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Remember, it's premium gas for a reason.

When you push that button for 91 or better octane at your local gas hole, the gas attendant should be coming out and giving you a complimentary shoe polish and bottle service. If he's not even rolling out the red carpet, you might have ended up accidentally going to one of the many fraudulent gas stations out there that sell water in the form of gas!

Don't be fooled, because even though you can get 100mpg on water with a special carburetor I developed in my basement, water exhaust won't kill ground squirrels as effectively when piped from your muffler.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 4, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My special EFI that I developed in my shed runs on urine, working on the patent now :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Neptr posted:

Fill up with 93 every once in a while. Your car will appreciate it.

For the real special occasions though, stop by the airport and top up with avgas. Your Civic will instantly gain at least 25HP and you'll likely sprout hair where you didn't even know you had follicles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Your car is made of 99% of the same elements as your teeth, and just like your teeth, regular brushing is essential.

At least once a month stop by the local car wash and directly apply the foam brush to each panel of your car for at least three minutes apiece. This prevents rust (which are a form of cavities).

Don't forget to bring your car in for x-rays every year, either.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

slidebite posted:

For the real special occasions though, stop by the airport and top up with avgas. Your Civic will instantly gain at least 25HP and you'll likely sprout hair where you didn't even know you had follicles.

Add some extra weight in the trunk though so that you don't accidently go airborne when the avgas kicks in.

Batts
Apr 4, 2009
It's a fact that diesel engines run longer. Convert your gasoline engine to diesel by slowly putting in diesel and increasing with each tank to wean it off.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Use smoke tunes to properly lubricate your diesel engine's turbocharger(s).

High mileage 1.8t Audis are high quality dependable automobiles.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Batts posted:

It's a fact that diesel engines run longer. Convert your gasoline engine to diesel by slowly putting in diesel and increasing with each tank to wean it off.

You jest, but there are people who have drunk the coolaid (diesel?) And actually mix the two to run in their cars for perceived fuel economy and performance. It's a secret the oil cartels don't want you to know.

I wish I was kidding.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
If you have a vehicle that has worn rings and burns lots of oil after overrun/rolling in gear this becomes a useful feature for removing unwanted tailgaters/any traffic behind you/cyclists/the ozone.

Also, it is much like a James Bond vehicle feature, the smoke screen can be used to flee from attackers.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bajaha posted:

You jest, but there are people who have drunk the coolaid (diesel?) And actually mix the two to run in their cars for perceived fuel economy and performance. It's a secret the oil cartels don't want you to know.

I wish I was kidding.

Put petrol in your diesel vehicle to produce useful noxious gases, for mobile fumigating or genocide.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mooseykins posted:

If you have a vehicle that has worn rings and burns lots of oil after overrun/rolling in gear this becomes a useful feature for removing unwanted tailgaters/any traffic behind you/cyclists/the ozone.

Also, it is much like a James Bond vehicle feature, the smoke screen can be used to flee from attackers.

If your license plate is on the tailgate just leave heavy improperly secured cargo in the trunk with the tailgate up over it. Bam, now the cops and toll cameras can't see your plate. Don't run a front plate.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

If your license plate is on the tailgate just leave heavy improperly secured cargo in the trunk with the tailgate up over it. Bam, now the cops and toll cameras can't see your plate. Don't run a front plate.

If followed by cops over the above issue, slow right down then accelerate hard. Your cargo will part company with your vehicle and leave an obstacle for the cop, rendering them unable to chase you.

Do this quickly, in a cloud of smoke so they can't see your plate.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
The best way to "roll coal" is with actual coal. Put some in your gas tank.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Why waste gas when you're going down a hill...turn your engine off and let Sir Issac Newton do the work for you!

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Drive a vehicle with no a/c to learn the true meaning of smelling like a refugee.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Did you know that the tachometer is a handy tool designed to keep you below the speed limit before speedometers were invented?

If the speed limit is 20, you need 2nd gear, just make sure not to put the needle into the red. Red means you're going too fast. 30mph you need 3rd gear and again, make sure it doesn't go into the red. Just below the red should be fine, but feel free to use the red (turbo) portion of the dial for overtakes and other defensive driving practices e.g. when you are in the leftmost lane.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually knew someone who thought that I was in the wrong gear because I was in 4th at 2000 RPM. She insisted that since I was at 2000RPM, I needed to be in second.

It's been maybe five or six years now, I don't remember how she knew what gear I was in.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I actually knew someone who thought that I was in the wrong gear because I was in 4th at 2000 RPM. She insisted that since I was at 2000RPM, I needed to be in second.

It's been maybe five or six years now, I don't remember how she knew what gear I was in.

In both my (diesel) vehicles i don't often go above 2,000rpm. My van's gearing is short enough that i'm in 5th at 30mph, highest it usually goes is 2,300rpm which is 62mph in 6th. I'm often told by people who think they know my van better than i do that i'm a gear too high all the time. loving thing drinks enough fuel as it is, doesn't need to be up 3/4 of the rev range all the drat time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My mom's Fiesta ST is the same. She used to drive the drat thing through the neighborhood in 1st, when 3rd is more appropriate and the shift light wants you in 4th, or 5th if you're doing 25 instead of 20. She'd shift at like 5k too even during gentle acceleration, which is unnerving as a passenger.

Surprisingly her mileage went up once I taught her how to drive it more good. :downs:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Fucknag posted:

My mom's Fiesta ST is the same. She used to drive the drat thing through the neighborhood in 1st, when 3rd is more appropriate and the shift light wants you in 4th, or 5th if you're doing 25 instead of 20. She'd shift at like 5k too even during gentle acceleration, which is unnerving as a passenger.

Surprisingly her mileage went up once I taught her how to drive it more good. :downs:

Why did they give a hot hatch a shift light?

Edit: Life hax: save effort by staying in 1st/2nd gear while not on the highway. (I actually do this one sometimes if I'm feeling lazy)

brand engager fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 5, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

If it's anything like the Veloster one, it's a display that flashes up the next gear you should be in. It's programmed for economy, but it shuts up when you floor it and only puts up the next gear once you're at redline. Under more aggressive throttle it'll hold off prompting as well. I've only ever got it to show a lower requested gear by flooring it in a high gear to lug the motor, doesn't tell you to downshift otherwise.

Some find it annoying but I've never had it bug me, I usually cruise in the highest gear available for the speed anyway, and I'm generally a little aggressive with the throttle and shift around 3k - 4k to get to speed otherwise.

E: poo poo it's the lifehack thread, not the hot hatch thread. Umm...

Save time in winter and only clear off enough snow to see out of the car. When you drive quick the rest of the snow will fly off and you'll have a clear windshield.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 5, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Somehow I suspect the economy subcompact it's based on has it. :v:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I think all Euro Fords have them now. Had a Transit van with one, telling me to shift into 6th gear at 40mph, while about half a ton overloaded and dragging the rear step over speedbumps. Rental van, no fucks given.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Going from 5th to 1st on the freeway is an excellent way to save your brakes if traffic suddenly slows.

Starting in third or fifth gear is better since you don't have to shift for your desired speed. just ride the clutch and give it all the throttle.

wifeys TJ has an annoying as gently caress shift light that comes on at like 1200rpm. I call it the should be EGR output

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Starting in third or fifth gear is better since you don't have to shift for your desired speed. just ride the clutch and give it all the throttle.

This is how CVTs work. :science:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

This is how CVTs work. :science:

If, like me, you're always watching the rev counter and speedo, they're so strange to drive at first.

Friend of mine bought a CVT Audi A4 a couple years ago. I test drove it when we bought it, never driven a CVT before, put my foot down and it hit 4,000rpm and just stayed there. I looked at the seller like "The gently caress is wrong with this thing?" and then realised i was doing 80 in a 30. It just hits peak power and stays there while it adjusts gearing to accelerate.

Shame they're unreliable and snap chains, would be awesome for racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Those periodic timing belt replacements on interference engines*? Completely unnecessary.

Timing belt technology has progressed to the point where all timing belts produced today are capable of outlasting the engine's lifespan several times over.

Big belt** are in bed with the auto manufacturers, however, to ensure that you change them regularly to in order to keep boosting their PROFIT$ - You pay to buy a new belt then pay again to have it installed, over and over.

*They are called interference by the manufacturers as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the belt replacement process "interfering" with your ability to drive the car without visiting the dealer.
**It's no coincidence that Gates is one of the largest producers of timing belts, and the surname of the world's richest man is also Gates. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread