Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it good
great
useful
saved my life
i'll save it for next time
View Results

• Locked thread
DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Don't fix your oil leaks, just keep topping off as needed. Once you've topped off 5 quarts it counts as an oil change, saving you time and money through neglect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Driving at a fast rate of speed has never killed anybody.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Driving at a fast rate of speed has never killed anybody.

No, it's suddenly becoming stationary that does.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Lie to your mechanic about when the problem started so they will cover it under their warranty.

I've done this one. Works like a charm.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DrPain posted:

Don't fix your oil leaks, just keep topping off as needed. Once you've topped off 5 quarts it counts as an oil change, saving you time and money through neglect.

I did this for over a year in my Celica when I was too poor/lazy to fix the oil pan gasket leak. Honestly it's probably fantastic for your engine in the long run.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you just picked up a gold-plated fuse block for your stereo system, don't hide it down in the engine bay. You should attach it directly to the subwoofer box right where everyone can see it, plus it goes on easier since you'll be drilling into plywood.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The beginning of February until the end of March is Car Mating Season. Please spay or neuter your vehicle so we can end the congestion and traffic problem.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Adiabatic posted:

The beginning of February until the end of March is Car Mating Season. Please spay or neuter your vehicle so we can end the congestion and traffic problem.

If it's cold out you should be letting them inside too.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/family-lets-cars-come-inside-house-during-snowstor,37854/

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

DrPain posted:

My van burns oil, so i just top up the oil as needed. When it comes time for servicing, it just gets a new oil filter. I can get a lot of oil for the cost of fixing the consumption issue.

Also, helps keep the exhaust lubricated and prevents rust! :eng101:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Keep your rear foglights on for a little extra speed...since nothing moves faster than light, the photons emitting from the rear of your car will give it a little push.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Keep your rear foglights on for a little extra speed...since nothing moves faster than light, the photons emitting from the rear of your car will give it a little push.

By that logic you should also relocate your brake lights to the front of your car for extra stopping power.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Similarly, turn off your lights and you'll go faster, that's why drl's kill your fuel economy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Japanese cars are legally required to carry road flares with them for emergencies. What do the Japanese know that we don't?

Simple - heating up your fuel will help it combust more easily, and you'll get improved fuel economy. The Japanese call this 火災.

If you're alone and miles from the nearest gas station, you can help stretch the remaining fumes in your gas tank further by heating them up with a road flare. Just light it and stick it in the filler. Now you're really ready to 落ち延びる! Ganbatte.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Adiabatic posted:

Brb gonna go slash some truck nuts.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have unresolved issues stemming from your father never telling you he loved you or giving you any praise? Buy an old, Pre-75 car! The amount of older men that will stop you at gas stations will quickly give you the closure you need, and since everyone knows old cars are stronger than new ones, you can now safely shove your way through traffic jams!

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Quickly wash your car's interior with a hose or pressure washer. Avoid directly spraying sensitive electronics like the radio. Here's a quick YouTube guide: http://youtu.be/J_FtEmkPIMk

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
gently caress it. Use boiling water on your frozen windshield and hood. It cleans the ice off quickly. Don't around scraping or listen to that bullshit about using only warm water. Use the hottest water you can get. It's safety glass. It won't crack.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Spoilers provide downforce, which causes your engine to work harder. Beat the manufacturer at their own game by turning your spoiler upside down to save gas!

Batts
Apr 4, 2009

DrPain posted:

This is... surprisingly true with old British cars...

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The special surface pattern on golf balls make them super aerodynamic. Make your car faster than god by beating golf balls into every inch of the car body.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Save money on expensive brakes by using parking pawl to slow down.

Just slam that shifter from Drive to Park

DrChu
May 14, 2002

If you live in a city and you can't find a parking spot, and you don't feel like shoveling, just park on the sidewalk!

(not me)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The special surface pattern on golf balls make them super aerodynamic. Make your car faster than god by beating golf balls into every inch of the car body.

Legit lol'd at this :golfclap:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Terrible Robot posted:

My jeeps are faster in the woods due to this effect, so I'll vouch for this being real. They're covered in dents, so what's a few more? Right foot down :getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bajaha posted:

Similarly, turn off your lights and you'll go faster, that's why drl's kill your fuel economy.

Lucas was underappreciated as a hypermiler.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
5 easy steps to change your oil:
  1. Buy ramps that are slightly too steep so you scratch up the underside of your bumper driving up them. Your customised bumper will now fit perfectly over the ramps next time.
  2. Remember to bring every socket you have except the one that fits the drain plug. Hunting around for an appropriate allen key will give the engine time to warm up while you search.
  3. Always drop the filter into the full catch pan rather than the empty one you intended it to land in. Used oil is an excellent preservative and splashing it all over the drive will keep the tarmac in pristine condition.
  4. Don't bother remembering to bring a container to hold the old oil, a convoluted system of decanting allowing you to re-use the new oil bottle is just as convenient.
  5. Most importantly, remember to pick a blustery day to decant your oil so you get those patches of the drive and lawn you missed when you dropped the filter.

I should not attempt an oil change before my morning coffee. :shepicide:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Terrible Robot posted:

When I got caught in a hail storm that covered my ranger in dents, that's what everyone told me. "Hey, your ute will be faster now"
After I got paid out by my insurer, I really should have bought it back at auction as I miss 4 wheeling

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

jammyozzy posted:

5 easy steps to change your oil:
  1. Buy ramps that are slightly too steep so you scratch up the underside of your bumper driving up them. Your customised bumper will now fit perfectly over the ramps next time.
  2. Remember to bring every socket you have except the one that fits the drain plug. Hunting around for an appropriate allen key will give the engine time to warm up while you search.
  3. Always drop the filter into the full catch pan rather than the empty one you intended it to land in. Used oil is an excellent preservative and splashing it all over the drive will keep the tarmac in pristine condition.
  4. Don't bother remembering to bring a container to hold the old oil, a convoluted system of decanting allowing you to re-use the new oil bottle is just as convenient.
  5. Most importantly, remember to pick a blustery day to decant your oil so you get those patches of the drive and lawn you missed when you dropped the filter.

I should not attempt an oil change before my morning coffee. :shepicide:

Could be worse.
I laughed but the number of times I've nearly hosed up the simplest job myself... and Polo TDi's do not go up ordinary steel ramps, not even close.:sigh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fo3 posted:

When I got caught in a hail storm that covered my ranger in dents, that's what everyone told me. "Hey, your ute will be faster now"
After I got paid out by my insurer, I really should have bought it back at auction as I miss 4 wheeling

Real life AI life hack:
Get your beater totaled by hail or not-at-fault cosmetic collision damage, then buy it back for pennies on the dollar and continue driving it because gently caress it it's a beater anyways :v:

My old boss did that, he paid $850 for his beater Saturn SL2, drove it like 30k miles, some daffy retard sideswiped it and wiped out two doors and the passenger mirror. Insurance gave him $1400, he laughed and gave me $25 for a new mirror on my next junkyard trip, then drove it another year before selling it for 500 bucks.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

When going around blind turns on narrow roads, honk your horn so people know you're coming!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cached Money posted:

When going around blind turns on narrow roads, honk your horn so people know you're coming!

You can get around having to do this by letting rust lighten your exhaust :v:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Get a "V8" decal/badge from Pep Boys. Instant horsepower increase.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cached Money posted:

When going around blind turns on narrow roads, honk your horn so people know you're coming round the bend in the middle of the road to maximize your visibility to oncoming traffic!

:v:

That's how they do it here, i live next to a very narrow blind crest, it's always interesting to go over it.

Batts
Apr 4, 2009

Sandbagger SA posted:

Get a "V8" decal/badge from Pep Boys. Instant horsepower increase.

While you're at it, pick up a '4x4' and 'Turbo' badge too, worked great for my old Daewoo Lanos

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
cars are investment properties.

Autozone is like home depot for cars. throwing on poo poo makes it worth more.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I actually knew someone who thought that I was in the wrong gear because I was in 4th at 2000 RPM. She insisted that since I was at 2000RPM, I needed to be in second.

It's been maybe five or six years now, I don't remember how she knew what gear I was in.

Mom swears up and down that going above 2500 RPM will ruin the engine. She has a 1MZ-FE with a ~6500 RPM redline.

Somehow, every time I drive her car, the MPG display thingamajob winds up reading much higher than when she drives it (generally by 2-3 mpg for that tank). I quickly get up to the speed of traffic, while she lolligags and takes a couple of minutes to hit 40 while texting, making phone calls, and generally trusting the car to take care of itself.

The upshift light in my car wants me in 5th by 25-30 mph, in a compact car with a (larger) 4 cylinder. I can't even maintain 30 in 4th without the engine sounding like it wants to put itself out of its misery, 5th drops it below idle anywhere below 30, and if I actually pay attention to the shift light's helpful advice, I wind up getting misfire codes, catalyst codes, and rich codes pretty quickly.

I've actually managed to get the upshift light to turn on in reverse. :haw:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

some texas redneck posted:

Mom swears up and down that going above 2500 RPM will ruin the engine. She has a 1MZ-FE with a ~6500 RPM redline.

Somehow, every time I drive her car, the MPG display thingamajob winds up reading much higher than when she drives it (generally by 2-3 mpg for that tank). I quickly get up to the speed of traffic, while she lolligags and takes a couple of minutes to hit 40 while texting, making phone calls, and generally trusting the car to take care of itself.

The upshift light in my car wants me in 5th by 25-30 mph, in a compact car with a (larger) 4 cylinder. I can't even maintain 30 in 4th without the engine sounding like it wants to put itself out of its misery, 5th drops it below idle anywhere below 30, and if I actually pay attention to the shift light's helpful advice, I wind up getting misfire codes, catalyst codes, and rich codes pretty quickly.

I've actually managed to get the upshift light to turn on in reverse. :haw:

What's up with ladies being afraid of red line? My wife will get on it in her Abarth and stop 2-3k short of the redline every time. I'm yelling wind this bitch out and beat it like you do my balls.
I told her the car loves it she doesn't believe me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Here's a life hack: don't let your wife beat your balls, she'll respect your opinions more.

If you don't live in some sort of frozen wasteland, don't buy winter tires and simply avoid driving if it snows of freezes.

Just saved at least a grand this year between the tires, wheels, and labor.

Edit: typos

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

If you don't live in some soft of frozen wasteland, don't buy winter tires and simply avoid driving if it snows of freezes.

Just saved at least a grand this year between the tires, wheels, and labor.

I saved a grand by driving sheetmetal screws into the lugs of my tires.

Remember, the longer the screw, the more bite it has and the less likely it is to tear out.

• Locked thread