Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm very concerned about net neutrality suddenly becoming an extremely partisan issue. I mean good drat it, 80% of people agreed with it, and now the conservative media leaders have decided and now 45% of the people will always be against it and think Obamanet is a thing, and if any republican President is EVER elected it will be over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

SCOTUS denied very to a case out of Maryland where a suspect was convicted on DNA evidence, with the DNA being collected by swabbing the arm rests of a chair the suspect was sitting in rather that the suspect submitting to a test. The appellate court had ruled this was acceptable so that ruling stands - the state can passively gather and indefinitely retain DNA records

Fairly ominous in the big picture.

I don't think so. It's no different than giving an interviewee a glass of water and getting prints from it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really have no problem with it. I don't know why anyone should be contented about police being able to take DNA samples that are left behind, the same way anything you say can and will be used against you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No. I don't. If they have a database to check against for future crimes, good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

If it just happens that mostly black and brown men make it into that database, well that's not your problem!

Well hopefully their DNA doesn't match and it will all work out!

I'm not seeing why DNA is sacred compared to any other evidence collection, and how it is an unreasonable search or seizure if they don't even take it from your person or property.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How about we just give Iran one nuke a year, then they don't have to develop it anymore, and we are disarming ourselves at the same time. Russia can do the same. And then the most dangerous world superpowers can finally be nuke free just as Reagan envisioned.

No, you know what? Every country gets one nuke. Cote D'voir, one nuke, Panama, one nuke, Luxembourg, one nuke, Laos, one nuke.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This Hillary thing is just a controlled mine detonation on her part, was the best way I saw it described. Just getting it out of the way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Couldn't Kerry and Obama flip this in negotiations by saying "hey, how'd you like to really piss off this rear end in a top hat?"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Snowden thinks that he can live in the US as a free man without doing 40 years in a federal prison first, then he's not living in the same reality as the rest of us.

Petraeus just pled guilty to sharing classified information, wonder how much jail time he'll get.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zeitgueist posted:

sure it is, but it is also treason, that's how we treat whistleblowers

either way dude is going to American Jail for a long time, and that's not a good place to be

What? We have the world's most profitable jails, they must be doing something right!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What the gently caress bizzaro world are we in where funding Homeland Security is a huge agonizing defeat for Republicans?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

He had a good reputation to begin with?

He was a pediatric brain surgeon who ran charities and was known for being a come from behind success and generous man. Now he's known as an evolution denying homophobic war mongering healthcare denying media whore.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but not only did Clinton use only her personal email during her time as Secretary of State, but she ran her own email server out of her own house.

If any goon thought this was going away any time soon.....well, you're dumb. Also get ready for more BENGHAZI since this gives republicans more meat to claim Hillary was holding out on information...which really, is her own drat fault now.

I guarantee you no one give a poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i think the point is that you have some unknowing crankness in you until society shifts in an unexpected direction and suddenly you're the dinosaur for thinking that implanting smartphone chips into infant skulls is bad and wrong

I've personally taken a proactive approach on equal rights for artificial intelligences. In future schools Star Trek The Next Generation's Measure of a Man will be required viewing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gravel Gravy posted:

Because he is extremely right wing and works actively to shut the government down.

Wait why doesn't Rand Paul wan't to be linked to Ron Swanson?

Ron Swanson loves and hordes gold. Wait a sec

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of love that Boehner is on a lifeline the dems control.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's nothing to fix. No one cares. The people who like Hillary don't care and the people who hate host probably don't care either, buy will pretend they do. I'm sure some libertarians who like to talk about ACCOUNTABILITY care, and Glenn Greenwald is probably mad because he didn't get his hands on this from wikileaks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's fine, Nixon was elected twice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

I doubt it. Fox is big on "racism doesn't exist anymore" and how anything short of actual lynching isn't really racism and is just people playing the race card. A guy who literally sang about hanging niggers from a tree is so far past the line about what you can try to spin as "not racist" that the only real option is "thing we were discussing isn't real racism, that OU guy, THAT is racism and we will prove our bona fides by hating this OU guy while we continue to insinuate Obama is an america-hating muslim". Like people's conservative mostly-racist grandpa who talks about "those people" and that blacks are just lazy will see this and call those guys racists.

Actually if it were a video of him shooting a black guy asking to be in the fraternity he'd be better off. You are allowed to be as racist as you want and take any action against a black person as long as you don't say the n word. That's the current right wing racism rules.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We gave them an academy award, what more so they want.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think a significant portion of the left needs their leader to speak up before they get on board though. For instance my uncle is a huge lefty but often has his issues completely backwards. Like he hates the things right to work does, but thought that actually was in states without right to work laws. And didn't understand that the President was trying to negotiate a deal with Iran where they'd have to stop nuclear development, because the President just never speaks up on these things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The best we can do, get a super loving good candidate in 2020 with long cost tails and take back the state houses before redistricting, and gerrymander the gently caress out of everything while we can.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In surprised Bibi's opposition is so close, all their candidates look like Mike Gravell level circuses. I love Gravel but he's not someone who gets votes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His brother was killed by a terrorist and he is one generation removed from the holocaust of his people, so he is just not a very chill dude in general. Some people deal with it by becoming a broker for peace, some people deal with it by becoming a broker for hate. I can't say for sure I wouldn't be the same way, but I would hope not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the concentrated synthetic thc was legal already anyway?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What about the extract stuff, I don't know the name, Alabama passed a law recently legalizing its research and use in medicine, it was called (some little girl's) law and was a pretty big deal in local politics.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone said lethal injection was the least inhumane option, but wouldn't sedation followed by a slow release of carbon monoxide in a prisoner's sleep be much more humane and painless?

Speaking a someone whom believes ideally we'd have no death penalty at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OTOH I don't think it's exactly good PR for the death penalty to have literal gas chambers be the primary method.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So now those two go to jail forever, right? They can be in a locked room with a camera pointed at them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress you Chris Christie, I lost 75 pounds this year without surgery of any kind, and I weighed less than you currently do to begin with so I had to eat less and exercise more from the get go.

You fat gently caress.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ugh I wish people wouldn't kill cops, but if they did I wish they would do research first and make sure they were at least ones who deserved it, not complete randos.

Though in this case I do have to wonder, it seems like the cops were hulked up, like some kind of beast, why didn't they just comply with the gunman's orders? He has a gun. They could have prevented this by not taking such aggressive posture.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I really hope this is a copycat crime from Bobs Burgers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Bush actually wanted to help people and do things with the government to that end. He just want very good at it and surrounded himself with people who wanted only to help themselves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if in eight years republicans that hate Obama guts will feel the same way about him I do about Bush, "Eh, he wasn't so bad"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought we regularly passed the Hyde amendment anyway. Out in a second amendment that says the morning after pull and IUDs are not abortificants and is be fine with it honestly, is not like congress is ever going to fund abortions in the first place, other than their own teenage daughters if they're dating a black guy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But Iran isn't even trying to get a bomb in the first place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Bush is elected we will triumphantly go to war with and defeat Iran to save Israel, only to be ruined by a democrat when they are elected eight years later. If Clinton wins we will reluctantly go to war with Iran, a foolish decision that will be pilloried by the right, causing her to lose reelection, upon which President Walker will invade Syria.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Twitter has been a huge boon for Cory Booker

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Impeach Fried Chicken

Really I don't see this as a problem, he just regulated it to the states like everything the republicans dont actually want to take a stand on.

Well it's a problem for people in lovely states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

States get to set that, so its "permanent" in that it isn't going to change until their currently benefiting legislature and governor decide to change it. Which Florida is trying to do, but there is no chance in hell a governor who has won their position is going to sign a law to make their term even shorter, and very low odds you will have a legislature with a veto proof majority of the other party that is willing to take the political heat of cutting short the opposing party's time in office.

I suppose a popular referendum might do it.

An outgoing second term governor might do it.

• Locked thread