Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Do we know any details about the Iranian nuclear talks? I'm not cheering Bibi on, but it's hard to imagine bargaining with Iran with any sort of good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Three Olives posted:

I don't know where to put this but since Netanyahu is stirring poo poo with conservatives this week can someone explain a tiny little thing to me?

All of this non-sense seems predicated on the idea that Iran would want to nuke Israel. Which I am sure in political/ideological hyperbolic terms would be a fine idea for them to bandy about (For them, for the record I do not support nuking Israel), but under this hypothetical what on earth would Iran have to gain by doing that? I mean first of all Israel would nuke the poo poo out of them but aside from that, what would they gain from doing it? I mean if loving hating someone's guts and wishing them to be wiped from the face of the earth was enough I have a feeling that India and Pakistan would have nuked the poo poo out of each other long ago.

Is understanding this whole US political issue really predicated on the idea that if someone was to hand Iran a nuke right now that they would nuke Tel Aviv? Because I just can't, that is insane, even by the religious holy war standards. Iran is not a failed state.

I'd imagine the repeat calling for the destruction of israel by Iran's supreme leader might make some people a little uneasy. Especially since he's the leader or so many drat armed forces within Iran. And he's also the highest political and religious authority in Iran.

The logic of the positive and negative consequences probably wouldn't matter to someone with the highest religious authority especially when they feel it's their duty to destroy a country.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
So Kerry made some news recently by publicly warning Bibi about disclosing details of the Iranian deal in his speech; I was watching Burnett on CNN interview a Israeli official about whether or not Bibi would use the details in his speech as way to derail the talks and the official all but said he would.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The regulation is clear that records should always be stored on the agency system. "All's well that ends well" and other reasonable explanations determining whether or not a law has been broken aren't necessarily good indicators of a strong rule of law either.

How is it that she can selectively pick what emails to turn over?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but not only did Clinton use only her personal email during her time as Secretary of State, but she ran her own email server out of her own house.

If any goon thought this was going away any time soon.....well, you're dumb. Also get ready for more BENGHAZI since this gives republicans more meat to claim Hillary was holding out on information...which really, is her own drat fault now.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

Nobody's even seriously talking about expulsion yet. I just wanted to throw that out there as a fun historical fact. Menendez is claiming that everything he got from the doctor was a gift from a friend, which is permissible under the Senate ethics rules. If the DoJ case gets legs, he'll likely resign, but his lawyers have a long way to go from where we are now to that point.

Why would the DOJ leak this instead of actually arresting him?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Still seems like bullshit, smearing his name in the public before any formal charges are issued.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Ruh roh, it's that time again

quote:

At the hearing Wednesday Martinez, the former state House Speaker, said "rape is defined in many ways and some of it is just drunken college sex." His remarks were concerning a bill that would remove parental rights for rapists, according to The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Hahahawaitaminute a democrat said this my political worldview is shattered

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but the newest drama around the email issue is that federal employees sign a mandatory document when they leave employment declaring that they handed over all classified and other government documents.

If she signed it, she lied.

If there is no document, then that presents a even bigger problem as that is a mandatory document. Why give her exemption?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

hobbesmaster posted:

You mean those emails that she handed over to the state department at the end of her time as secretary we're talking about?

Uh, no? You do realize she just handed over thousands of emails two years after she left her post, right?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^

It's not accurate to say what percentage of the emails on her server were what, since all we have to go by is what she/her staff says it is.

blunt for century posted:

Completely agreed. She owned and used her own email server. Okay, so?

I think the legitimate concern right now is whether or not she signed a mandatory document declaring she turned over all emailed related to government duties.

If she signed it, she absolutely lied. If she didn't, then that's a problem within itself because it was a mandatory document so that means the State Department purposely allowed her to circumvent the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The State Dept. has officially responded the inquiries about whether or not Clinton signed document acknowledging turning in all related emails and documents upon leaving their position -- they can't find it:

quote:

We have reviewed Secretary Clinton’s official personnel file and administrative files, and do not have any record of her signing the OF-109,” Psaki read from a prepared response. “In addition, after looking into their official personnel files, we did not locate any record of either of her immediate predecessors signing this form. It is not clear that this form is used as part of a standard part of check-out across the federal government, or even at the State Department, so we’re certainly looking into that.”

As the quote says, her immediate predecessors may have also not signed the document and/or the document is lost, but this certainly doesn't help things. Not surprising that there is no document though, if there was then it would have been a clearer sign of deception.

• Locked thread