Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Instantaneous direct democracy is somehow the most terrifying system of government I can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any way this wouldn't be terrible?

Only by placing so many limitations on the process that it would be most irrelevant I'd think

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

idk man we might have a better foreign policy, groups seem to be pretty good at predicting world events

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/02/297839429/-so-you-think-youre-smarter-than-a-cia-agent

People in groups are also known for collectively losing their goddam minds on occasion and if other countries were running on the same system we'd quickly enter a feedback loop that would destroy most of humanity. Could you imagine instant direct democracy in charge of foreign policy immediately after 9/11?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

My understanding is that Irans nuclear targets are so hardened at this point that any sort of attack from the air would be almost completely ineffective anyway

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The Iran policy makes more sense on all sides if you work under the assumption that Iran will eventually obtain nuclear capabilities without a full scale invasion and take over of the country. And I think that's a pretty realistic assumption. No president wants it to happen on their watch, Israel is willing to do whatever to make sure it doesn't happen, and Iran wants as little damage to their economy as possible on their way there. And the republicans just want Obama to look as bad as possible at all times.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So Kerry made some news recently by publicly warning Bibi about disclosing details of the Iranian deal in his speech; I was watching Burnett on CNN interview a Israeli official about whether or not Bibi would use the details in his speech as way to derail the talks and the official all but said he would.

It's pretty clear he will. I think Dershowitz said as much the other day, not even subtly.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I was pretty dismissive of the Hilary email thing at first but how much power does the Benghazi panel have to access that email account now? The crossroads of a personal/professional email and a witch hunt congressional investigation could be a seriously big deal.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Early, but this is the obvious choice for quote of the day, "How many of you have got wolves in your district? None. None. Not one. We've got 79 congressmen sending you a letter, they haven't got a drat wolf in their whole district. I'd like to introduce them in your district. If I introduced them in your district, you wouldn't have a homeless problem anymore." ~ Rep. Don Young (R-AK).

I just came here to post this because hoooooly gently caress

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'm mostly just surprised that Alaska has a problem with alive homeless people.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alaskan homeless are like the mountain men of old. You give them a knife and a firestarter and they'll survive just fine.

Correction. I'm mostly just surprised there are living homeless Alaskans that don't yet star in a reality tv show.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

It's more about generating constant small scandals to change perceptions than it is about finding the smoking gun that takes her out of the race. No one is going to change their vote because of this email thing but 2 years worth of email-like-things may cause a conservative voter who would have stayed home otherwise to vote, or a democrat who would have voted to stay home.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

This would be a great strategy if only it hadn't been tried for literally a decade. A decade in the middle of which her husband was reelected in a landslide.

Well it's not like they can change strategies now. They have an entire industry built up around this tactic.

And honestly it hasn't been completely ineffective against Obama. It just wasn't effective enough to knock him out of a Potus election.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Red Minjo posted:

Wait, what is up with his Red Right Hand, there?

Some kind of stage lighting

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

i read the story, so it seems re-homing is adopting a kid then deciding nah and giving the kid to a different family? what the gently caress

I'm really not sure what to take at face value in that article. It seems pretty unlikely that DHS seriously threatened him with abandonment, but why did he give the kids to that other guy then? I doubt it was all some scam to skim on $800/month support checks. It feels like something is missing from this story.

Akumu posted:

Or because there fundamentally shouldn't be "take-backsies" on adoptions.

Did you read the article? The girl in question was severely disturbed and was collecting weapons and also bashed some 2 year old in the head with a rock. Oh and she admitted she was planning to kill the whole family.

I don't know if there should be "take-backsies" but they obviously needed some kind of assistance or intervention at the very least

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Well at least there will be significantly less Florida to worry about in the not so distant future!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Florida is a blue state that's only red because of how Gerrymandered it is and the democrats incompetence. Thankfully old people can't afford to move here anymore so it will get slightly better over time.

It's not just gerrymandering. It's also control of voting locations. The average time it takes to vote in the blue areas is insane in Florida

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Neither of those matter to Republican primary voters. It's true that he's sunk, but only because he shook hands with Obama.

This is the truth. We'll see what happens when he's able to get on stage and yell at the other candidates, which is where his potential strength lies, but right now the likely primary voters are incapable of seeing past the hug heard round the south

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Everblight posted:

Chris Christie hasn't lost 60 lbs has he? If he hasn't, then he isn't running, simple as that.

He's probably lost at least that much but he still won't be running any time soon

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The police are saying the shots in ferguson likely came from a pistol from around 125 yards away. I don't know poo poo about guns but that seems kind of insane to me. That seems incredibly far to reliably hit anything with a pistol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ballz posted:

I'm hearing 125 feet, not yards.

At the press conference today the St. Louis county guy said yards several times. He may have been provided with bad information but every time he mentioned the distance he said 125 yards.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are you telling me that someone tried to shoot protestors and ended up hitting cops?
That's... that's loving amazing.

...you know what else would be loving amazing? If the cops take this guy alive.

That seems like a leap at this point. Possible but I wouldn't even say likely.

Here's the New York Times quoting the police chief saying 125 yards btw
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/us/ferguson-police.html?_r=0&referrer=

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Man if you think the cops are upset now just wait until the grand jury fails to indict the shooter.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

The House is about to pass an immigration bill. Let us gaze in awe upon Rep. Chaffetz's act.

Did you catch that? The one loosening of immigration in the bill? It is to deal with the horror that is Germany requiring children to attend public schools because Hitler made homeschooling illegal in 1938!

Amends Statue of Liberty to say 'gently caress Off'

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zoux posted:

Either that she was emailing shadowy evil conspiracies that they cannot subpoena or that sensitive emails didn't have the appropriate level of security.

That being said, if there is a single elected official anywhere in the country that doesn't also use a separate email account from their government one, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

Lindsey Graham. Get to eating. And none of that metaphorical fruit hat bullshit

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

So I want to ask how those of you who choose to touch the poop respond to the braindead comments about how the president shouldn't take 20 minutes out of his day to read mean tweets because ISIS or some poo poo?

While we're at it why don't we try to push back the ocean

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

They will do that with anything and everything.

I think that's pretty much the story of any perceived expansion of executive power and the party currently not holding the presidency though.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Netanyahu remaining Prime Minister basically confirms the 2016 Elections to be the judge of whether or not we're going to war with Iran.

I don't really see it. Netanyahu is a big talker but more risk adverse than he lets on. US military command are well aware at this point what a nightmare that war would be as well.

Plus they'll probably get their nuke in the not too distant future and then enter the 'can't be confronted except through proxy wars' club

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah some random special snowflake beer you like and isn't available in every single place to buy beer across the country ain't never gonna hit top 20. Especially if it's over $30 as well, apparently

Yeah it's more a statement on securing shelf space and supply lines than anything related to quality.

There's several passable beers on that list. I like craft beers as much as anyone but I buy cases of simply decent beer plenty often.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also, the first 3 seasons of SeaLab will basically never be topped.

Yep. RIP Harry Goz

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Unsurprisingly, SA once again fails at interpreting obvious symbolism. The gesture was clearly meant to indicate that Obama thinks another four years of the job would kill him. That's :thejoke:

If the job didn't kill him Michelle certainly would

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Keep in mind that there is a not insignificant chunk of the right wing that honestly believes Obama is going to attempt to take a 3rd term. Like believes with all their heart that he has been plotting it for years.

That's your standard percentage crazy idiots, though. There was certainly no shortage of those people when Bush was approaching his term limit, too.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhITpTtG888

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I dunno why some of you think firing squad is a better way of doing executions, I would imagine getting shot hurts quite a bit if their aim is off and you're not instantly killed.

The idea is that modern execution methods are designed to be less traumatizing for the executioners, not to be more humane towards the person sentenced to death. Most of them are poo poo and gently caress up fairly often. Firing squad makes it impossible to ignore the brutality of the state murdering its own citizens

I'd rather the death penalty be abolished but failing that I think the sentenced should be able to choose whatever method they wish.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

site posted:

Would a heart shot be instadeath though?

No but it's roughly in line with the other options as far as time spent suffering goes

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Freedom Watch just filed a racketeering lawsuit against Hilary.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

The phrase "Minnesota Nice" exists for a reason.

At least in Alabama, they'll let you know their hate to your face.

No they won't. They'll say 'bless your heart' then talk endless poo poo as soon as youre out of earshot

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

As an rear end in a top hat currently living in Chicago I can confirm

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

I too am curious about it.

Obviously the right-wing was able to turn it into a perjorative, but what are people thinking about when they use it?

is it "College kid poverty-tourist joke job that only an idiot would cite as real Experience" or is it "sinister agent of the corrupt Chicago electioneering apparatus"? Neither? Both all at once?

It works for both things which is why it sticks around.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Oh poo poo fishmech noticed someone was technically wrong about an insignificant point. See y'all in 5 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ufarn posted:

A lexical analysis of Reagan's speeches shows his early onset of Alzheimer's (paywalled); by the end, he was falling to the level of GWB: :ohdear:

(And no, "S. Wang" is not Sam Wang, hilarious as that would be.)

I'd be surprised to learn that Reagan wrote a single one of his one speeches.

• Locked thread