Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Icon Of Sin posted:

Drove my jeep to and from AK, from NC. It's still going strong 5 years later, so I think I made a good choice back then

The only good choice I made in the military, other than bailing the gently caress out

holocaust bloopers posted:

Road tripped 5000 miles from Oklahoma City to Anchorage in my 98 Cherokee Sport. Outside of an over heating issue in Las Vegas, it ran like a champ.

My 2000 4Runner would've made the Anchorage to Vegas trip just fine (in Dec) if a goddamned deer hadn't intervened:

The trip before that point was pretty cool though:

Did you keep up with maintenance properly or just pencil whip the 1800?!

lol

The 3-pax Silverado that was my hooptie at KAF was so beat to poo poo it wasn't even funny. I don't think anyone had ever touched the 1800 (or any other part) of that thing.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So aside from Subaru what are the decent brands these days. Mazda? Hyundai? Seems like Honda and Toyota aren't the 300k mile beasts from the 80s and 90s anymore

My 2012 4Runner is going full steam, 35k miles and no issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i really want to see what ford does with the new ranger

honestly the f-150 and poo poo are way too loving big for what id want to use it for, and when i was shopping around last year for used ones they were all insanely overpriced for the condition

also im kinda mad that barely anyone makes a manual truck anymore (all i can think of is the chevy colorado, but lol at buying gm anything)

Like Spongebob said Toyota still offers a manual Tacoma, although I'm sure they're not very common.

And then there's the manual FJ Cruiser for a comedy (SUV) option.

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

What it looked like before:

(I edited it to look like the original)

(I dont care)

(Im just here for the violence)

"The t stands for 'time to leave!'"

Bolow posted:

When did the Irish start being considered white :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw

lol I just remembered, Whip probated me when I (without reference) quoted the bit about niggers and chinks (without the video)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

It'll be wonderful. Usually in the 60s and sunny. June and July are the best months to visit. If you're hitting up Anchorage, I'll shoot you a list of places to eat at.

Same, although our lists would probably contain a lot of repeats. Check out the Snow Goose and make sure you sit upstairs for the view.

I miss AK in the summer.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snow city? Was that the hipster breakfast place?

And what was the awesome sandwich place? I went there a bunch while hanging out in base lodging.

Yeah snow city cafe was the hipster breakfast place, really good but good luck getting a table for brunch or whatever on the weekends.

Sandwich place was probably Brown Bag Sandwich Co, downtown a couple blocks after the bridge over Ship Creek?

Also there was Spenard Roadhouse, bacon jam burger.

And I can't believe we both haven't mentioned Moose's Tooth/Bear's Tooth yet. Order Santa's Little Helper, you'll thank me later.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Season 2 of Danger 5 is better than the first. Show owns.

hahahahaha

is it available anywhere online other than :filez:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

On a more positive note I never thought I'd say this but let's talk about cooking. Now that I'm a big boy I've actually come to enjoy it and have slowly been building up my kitchen. Love my cast iron skillets and am trying to learn how to use the properly and see what all I can make

Also crockpots rule

I'm assuming you've gotten the basics of cast iron cooking down as far as steak (ribeye/strip/etc) as well as stuff like blackened chicken, but give skirt steak a try. Give it a simple dry rub (salt/pepper/some cumin and maybe some paprika and/or onion powder) and then toss it in the skillet on medium-high heat with a bit of olive oil for 4-5 minutes a side, congratulations you've got fajitas or the like. Just make sure you cut in thin strips against the grain, post-cooking. If you want to do things right, put the skillet on high heat before you do the steaks and heat the tortillas 10-15 seconds a side, fajitas will be infinitely better. I cooked skirt steak for the first time in a while tonight and realized how I'd forgotten how good it is.

For your next cooking implement I'd recommend a ceramic coated cast iron dutch oven...useful for stews/tagines/etc. A little bit of olive oil on medium heat to brown the meat (recommend a fatty cut like chuck roast, cubed, or lamb if you're feeling adventurous), followed by dumping your stew ingredients in along with some broth, cover, and cook/stew on low/low-medium heat on the stovetop. An hour or two later you've got deliciousness. If you've feeling adventurous go for a more mediterranean influence and toss in some preserved lemons and (cooked separately previously) chickpeas along with some cinnamon and coriander along with a healthy dose of garlic.

If you go that route let me know, I've got a tagine recipe that will knock your socks off.

e: I forgot, if you want some crockpot ruleage, do crockpot carnitas. Seriously the best ratio of anything I cook as far as least effort/most deliciousness. Get a decent cut of pork (people will say use a butt roast but I've found better results with a center cut boneless pork loin), do a decent dry rub (cumin/salt/pepper/paprika/oregano/annato/cayenne/red pepper/onion powder/garlic powder/coriander, maybe a little basil if you want some punch or chipotle powder if you want smokiness) all over the pork, toss in crock pot with a medium sized sliced onion, cook on high for 6 hrs. When done cooking pull pork out (it'll be frying in its own juices), put on broiling type pan, and take two forks to pull. Pull pork sufficiently and broil. Use the tortilla cast iron heating method described above and serve with chopped cilantro and appropriate hot sauce (recommend cholula) as well as chopped onions if that's your thing.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 17, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Oh poo poo they have S2? I thought it was just the first one (which I've already seen)

welp know what I'm doing the next couple of days.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I always want to walk around wearing a Parachute Regiment t-shirt on St Paddy's Day.

Also on 30 Jan

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Air force was tiger stripey at least for a while.

The worst kind of tiger stripey

Like Tiger Stripe (the company) wrote an open letter to the USAF basically saying "we tried to get you guys a decent camo pattern, here's some non-poo poo ones we offered, but your dumb-rear end leadership picked this abortion. We're sorry."

fake edit: Here it is. Here's a newer one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slim Pickens posted:

Any ar15 manufacturers you should really steer away from? I still want one five years after getting out, but don't want one that's gonna rattle apart after 500 rounds. I could ask tfr but gun spergs are the worst

Just poke your head into the AR-15 thread or the questions thread, you'll get a decent answer from people who know what they're talking about.

• Locked thread