Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

bulletsponge13 posted:

Must be institutional to the DoD.

It has to be.

Everyone has stories like this and I thought the same thing when we ripped out with a unit from 4/101 in AFG in 2013. I'm sure 4/25 said the same thing about us when we got there and they left.

4/101 was really ate the gently caress up though, and they made a mess of our firing point within a week of officially taking over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

manchego posted:

4/101 was really ate the gently caress up though, and they made a mess of our firing point within a week of officially taking over.

If it was 1/61 squadron I know why (hint: retards)

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

We were more or less in the sticks most of the time so we didn't feel the effects of different units taking over or whatever, but goddamn did we fall in on some hosed up poo poo our first deployment. We were relieving...some unit from the 4th Infantry? I don't know I was a PFC and dumb and this was almost a decade ago but anyway these dudes had set up some absolutely terrible bases strung out through Kunar and a little bit of Nuristan. Not just the normal COIN doctrine of ignoring the tactically decent ground and hanging out near villages, but bases where they just had six plywood shacks scattered at random around the side of a mountain, with none of them covering (or even readily visible) to the others, and just a handful of concertina and sandbags (most of which went to keeping the trails from disintegrating rather than providing any real cover).

To keep these death traps from being death traps the guys we were relieving had rigged up some informal system with the Taliban in the area that they restricted their patrols essentially to the front porch of these outposts and they wouldn't be hit. Of course when we showed up we said gently caress that and then got hosed with constantly and yeah A+ work guys we relieved.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

We had some great guys from 1st Cav relieve us my last deployment.

You would think that they would like to have basic comms up and operational before we left. That way they could do things like call a MEDVAC and what not. They were still trying to get radios to work when we got back to the states...

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

ASAPI posted:

We had some great guys from 1st Cav relieve us my last deployment.

You would think that they would like to have basic comms up and operational before we left. That way they could do things like call a MEDVAC and what not. They were still trying to get radios to work when we got back to the states...

Having been to Iraq with the Cav, I can safely tell you that this is pretty SOP for them. Their way or the highway, constantly. They were gloriously conceited and fed up on their own zealous reputation but poo poo like this still happened all the time.

Goddamn what an awesome unit that was. :negative:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I wear a cav patch not as a point of pride, but as a reminder of why I'm not doing this for one second longer than I have to.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Our HBCT deployed under 25th ID so instead of coming home a Cav Sandwich I opted to wear the angry jalepeno combat patch. My command didn't like that but gently caress them. Then I had to go to a division change of command and they forced me to wear someone elses cav hat and a cav combat patch. :barf:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Angry vagina

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
1st cav is like the 82nd but specifically for cav units.

Meeting someone who has been both is just loving insufferable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I liked my time in 3ACR back when they were still 3ACR and out of Carson, but soon as we were going to move to Hood following OIF4 they suffered impossible brain drain and only like 20% of the original unit moved. Everyone else reflagged 4/4ID and stayed at Carson or went elsewhere.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

1st cav is like the 82nd but specifically for cav units.

Meeting someone who has been both is just loving insufferable.

Do I get a pass if I hated every single minute of my time in 1st Cav? Cause holy god drat were they a special breed of stupid wrapped around a tight little nugget of retard.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

bird food bathtub posted:

Do I get a pass if I hated every single minute of my time in 1st Cav? Cause holy god drat were they a special breed of stupid wrapped around a tight little nugget of retard.

UNCLEAN!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yeah fair enough. Even being in there involuntarily some of the stupid had to rub off.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vasudus posted:

I liked my time in 3ACR back when they were still 3ACR and out of Carson, but soon as we were going to move to Hood following OIF4 they suffered impossible brain drain and only like 20% of the original unit moved. Everyone else reflagged 4/4ID and stayed at Carson or went elsewhere.

Wait... 3ACR was good(ish)? I was attached to them in 2010, dear lord was that a massive poo poo show.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh god does anyone still have the write-up from when that ACR unit in Germany went to the field and got drat near everything wrong? I seem to remember things like they had no stable comms, were pissing and making GBS threads all over the place because they didn't know how to make slit trenches, and in general were just the worst.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh god does anyone still have the write-up from when that ACR unit in Germany went to the field and got drat near everything wrong? I seem to remember things like they had no stable comms, were pissing and making GBS threads all over the place because they didn't know how to make slit trenches, and in general were just the worst.

That would be 2CR. The land of the lost.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you ain't Cav... :bahgawd:

You ain't poo poo. Which is a double negative. Guess the cav is poo poo. Surprise!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ASAPI posted:

Wait... 3ACR was good(ish)? I was attached to them in 2010, dear lord was that a massive poo poo show.

Yes, 05-06 for OIF III/IV, under McMaster. We actually did a really good job clearing out Sinjar/Tal'afar and Ninveh in general, and "only" lost like 30 dudes, most of which from the detachment left behind in the triangle. Cav bullshit was kept to a minimum. Then they announced we were moving to Hood and anybody that didn't want to go didn't have to, and like 80% of all your talent went *poof*

They were also pretty okay during the invasion, but that was before my time.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

bird food bathtub posted:

Its kind of like Ebola. Yea you were a medical worker but we still have to burn you and all your stuff incase it hitched a ride.

Also, you have to change your name to typhoid 1st Cav.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
So I felt like doing something nice for the holidays and went to donate blood at the ASBP bank. I've done this a dozen times so I was just whipping through the paperwork when I hit something new, a "CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH" agreement to test Zika virus protocols. Asked the attendant if there was anything to worry about and she just said that it was an extra test vial to fill and they would track the donation ID to determine if the blood was positive. I had a couple of minutes so I skimmed over the rest...

"Personnel from the sponsor, Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. and its consultants will be visiting the research facility to monitor the conduct of the study. They will review your study records and your medical records for this purpose. These people may look at your records to make sure the study has been done the right way. They also want to make sure that your health information has been collected the right way, or for other reasons that are allowed under the law."

A few paragraphs later...

"Your health information may be shared with authorized representatives of the following groups:
[Bunch of DOD organizations and the FDA]
-Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. and their representatives
-Local Preventive Medicine or Community Health Office and applicable state and local health departments as listed below:
[DoD address table]

Health information that has been shared may be re-disclosed by the recipient of the information. These other organizations may then share your health information with others without your permission.

You do not have to sign this Authorization. If you decide not to sign, it will not affect your eligibility for benefits or your relationship with the Armed Services Blood Bank Center - [Location], however you will not be able to participate in this research study or donate today.

There is no expiration date for this authorization."

As worded, this contract gives Roche Molecular Systems indefinite access to my medical records and permission to distribute or sell them to any one they want??? Oh, since I skipped signing I wasn't fit to donate blood and apparently hate FREEDOM.

I wanted to ask IG if this was as screwed up as it seems but they were already gone for the weekend. I don't have anything hidden in my medical files but I'd be pissed if I had something like mental health therapy or two cases of the clap after getting married in there... every major employer or insurance provider is going to be curious since you freely waved your HIPAA rights by releasing the info.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wow, that's sketchy as gently caress.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, that's where I would shred anything I'd started filling out, say that my name was Rusty Shackleford, and slowly leave out.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

acidia posted:

As worded, this contract gives Roche Molecular Systems indefinite access to my medical records and permission to distribute or sell them to any one they want??? Oh, since I skipped signing I wasn't fit to donate blood and apparently hate FREEDOM.

Wait..

Because you wouldn't consent to a research program, they wouldn't let you donate blood?

No.

Call the local blood bank, and every local news outlet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's pretty sketch.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yup. That's illegal as gently caress. HIPAA and all that.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Its not a HIPPA violation because you are waving protection with the consent form. Thats why they have that secondary clause about it allowing them to share or re-sell with out further authorization.

What is questionable from a legal stand point is refusing to allow you to donate with out consenting to the study.

Thats a load of horse poo poo. And someone needs to burn for it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

HIPAA authorization would stand for that person or company. Not addendum like it's your goddamn phone number or mailing address. This is why you sign a release of information everytime you go to a new clinic. If it was that loving easy the VA, DoD and whatever would have done it by now.

You do not gently caress with this type of info. It is very bad.

My source? Having to work with hospital PAOs for PSAs. Not actual lawyers. But not barracks bullshit either.

Still that is wrong as hell and needs to be addressed immediately. If you don't want to do it, take a copy of the contract or whatever or a picture, upload it and tell us what base.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Go back and read the part about pre-authorizing the share of information.

It clears them from HIPPA.

Really. It does.

The entire point of that consent form is to waive your HIPPA protection so they can sell your health information.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

Ahh yes, 2CR's first experience with the DATE. 2CR and a horrible excuse for field training The only reason I have this saved is I was with 4/2 when the whole lovely boondoggle went down.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SPEAKING OF CALVARY!

http://m.spankbang.com/zf6j/video/brickyates+parker

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

For those who don't click the link, it's a cav soldier doing something dumb.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

still clicked

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Is it real? I want it to be real. I wanna see that counseling statement.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
thought you were gonna link the dude getting a blowjob in cammies from another dude

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Which one of them?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Vahakyla posted:

Which one of them?

idk i saw it on jttots yesterday. short hair, grey/green digital camoflauge. ring any bells? just start posting some and ill tell you which one.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

thought you were gonna link the dude getting a blowjob in cammies from another dude

still clicked though

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
The more time I spent completely not in the military the more I realize how ridiculous most poo poo in the military is. The uniforms, cadences, NCO jargon, numerous subdivisions of the S/G/J 3. I also have to stop myself from rolling my eyes when my customers start breaking into that poo poo. I guess it's like highschool or college is for some people - the best time of their life and so they prefer to stay there mentally.

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 24, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

I guess it's like highschool or college is for some people - the best time of their life and so they prefer to stay there mentally.

2 of my sisters peaked in hs and its kinda crazy how apparent that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Jesus if the military was the best time in your life then you definitely have not had a good life.

• Locked thread