Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Latest revision: 07/2016

Welcome to the PC Sim Racing Thread. Here we are all about the right kind of pretend racing. Preferably on really expensive hardware.

Discord
IRC
  • Server: irc.synIRC.net
  • Channel: #racinggoons
Mumble
  • mumble.goonrathi.com
  • mellon
Assetto Corsa Gooncar Server:
iRacing Thread:

I'm happy to incorporate any feedback, my plan is to keep these posts (reasonably) up to date. Also, some (most) of the stuff I've written is based on cursory research and/or personal opinion and/or based on what I gather the overall opinion on a topic in the larger sim racing community is. So don't hesitate to correct me on anything.

Post 1: Sims
  • Introduction
  • Current Sims
  • Older Sims
Post 2: Hardware
  • Wheels
  • Pedals & Shifters
  • Cockpits / Seats
Post 3: Setting Up
  • Force Feedback
  • Steering Rotation/Ratio/Lock
  • Field of View
Post 4: The Rest
  • State of VR Support
  • Links
Post 5: Mods
  • Conversions & Mod Packs
  • Cars & Tracks

So what's the difference between sims and other racing games?

Extremely broadly speaking:
  • A more authentic driving and/or racing experience with cars feeling as true to their real counterparts as possible, on accurate representations of real world tracks.
Chances are you're particularly interested in a comparison to console sims, i.e. Forza or Gran Turismo:
  • No singleplayer progression or career mode (worth mentioning).
  • There's only setup, no tuning/parts swapping.
  • Less cars in general and an emphasis on actual race cars (in the official content, mods are of course another matter).
  • Designed to be driven with wheels, controller support might exist but is often (always?) a sub par experience.
  • IT'S NOT A GAME MOM
A personal opinion about physics:

I don't talk much about the physics of any of the sims listed here, the reason being that for any sim you'll find people calling it the best thing ever as well as people calling it utter crap because this other thing is obviously the best ever. Plus when people talk about physics a big part of what they're actually talking about is the feel of the force feedback, which is dependent on hardware, setup and personal preference, all further muddling the issue. The truth is none of these games truly recreate real world physics, they all have different philosophies on how to approach a reasonable approximation. Within some basic criteria the way they present the driving/racing experience qualifies all of them as sims in my opinion, and the only way to really find out if you'll like how one of them feels is to try it out. Spend time looking at the features and get a demo if possible, don't waste your time reading endless discussions about physics. I found that for pretty much any sim, once I set up my wheel correctly and gave it some time to get into the particular language of the game, I was able to find cars and tracks I love to drive.

And a short remark about AI:

AI always be AI, so good means good in the context of what's available. The better ones still have plenty of quirks and fuckups, and even within the same game it can vary wildly from track to track and car to car.

Just tell me which game to get!

Well, it's not that easy, but here is a very high level overview of some of the strengths and weaknesses of the current titles.

• If you're looking to start out with a controller: Project Cars probably has the best controller support right now.
  • Special interest titles (i.e. rally, truck) not included in this matrix, since there's generally only one choice anyway.

"Current" is a flexible definition, some of these have started many years ago, some might be based on older tech, for some "being in development" seems a bit of an eternal state.

IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER

Assetto Corsa was released for PC in December 2014 and is coming to consoles this year. Version 1.0 was a bit of a disappointment, track selection was weak and the AI still pretty terrible. Three DLCs have improved the content situation, and the AI improvements especially since update 1.4 have been well received (though it's still trailing a fair bit behind the best of class). Kunos prides itself on using only laser-scanned tracks, an exception was made for an excellent mod track (Zandvoort) that was picked up as official third-party content. The mod scene is slowly but surely producing some very high quality scratch built tracks and cars, plus tons of converted old content of often questionable quality. Neither weather nor night racing are in the books, in terms of track conditions only overall grip level can change during a race. Assetto Corsa is highly moddable and currently seems to attract the biggest community. Second only to Project Cars in the graphics department.

Automobilista started life as Stock Car Extreme which in itself started pretty much as an rFactor1 mod around the Brazilian Stock Car series. After years of toiling away providing updates and free content and in the process building a highly regarded but slowly selling sim, Reiza cashed in on some of their community's goodwill in 2015 with a very successful crowd-funding campaign. This led to an (overdue) re-branding and even more content, but most importantly a proper isiMotor2 license allowing them to finally dig into the innards of the engine and making more substantial improvements to the framework. Being a small studio they don't have any expensive licenses, but a great variety of unique racing series plus what is widely considered the best open wheel racing out there, featuring a wide selection of (non-licensed) F1 cars over several decades. Automobilista is very moddable and the first mods already made their way over from Stock Car Extreme, with more certainly to come. Graphically the game doesn't quite stand up to other modern titles, which is a bit of hurdle in getting people to try the game. Technically the game is still in Early Access.

Probably THE surprise title in recent years, Dirt Rally is Codemasters going back to its roots. It just showed up on Steam Early Access one day and word quickly got around that Codemasters is actually making a sim. A rally sim. A good one. Dirt Rally has what you want from a Rally game: A good variety of rally cars across the ages, very nicely done scenery from all around the world blasting past way too close, and nothing XTREEEEEME at all. The multiplayer features online racing as well as competing for best times in asynchronous play. Being a rally game it obviously has weather and night racing.

The official Formula 1 game from Codemasters and sixth of its kind since 2010. The only game with all the drivers, cars and tracks of the current F1 season. Reception has always been lukewarm, this iteration got especially bad reviews due to a severe lack of features, most noteably the omission of a career mode where you can create your own driver. However, from what I gather the actual driving seems to be the best yet, if still simcade style.

It's still open if maybe the Formula Truck content might show up in Automobilista at some point.

It's truck racing within the Stock Car Extreme engine, so if you want truck racing you can't go wrong with this one. The only downside is that Reiza is now focused on SCE, so Formula Truck isn't getting updated the same way SCE is.

iRacing bills itself as a subscription-based service, as such it comes with high costs for the subscription itself as well as for content packs, but if you're serious about proper online racing this is really your only choice. Here you will find managed racing series and leagues and even the possibility of driving against real drivers from the amateur and professional racing world. At the core is a license system that constantly tracks your on-track behaviour and calculates a "safety rating" which in turn gives or takes away access to different classes and events. iRacing is as close as you can get to being a real race car driver. The business model of course prohibits any modding. iRacing is very much its own thing, and the thread here on the forums is very active, so it's advisable to go there for more in-depth information.

First released as a demo in 2002 Live for Speed is developed by a three man team independent of a publisher, keeping it both cheap and focused, but sometimes slow to update. The game focuses on online gameplay making it very easy to just pick up and race, though lacks some of the bells and whistles featured in newer titles. The game features a mix of fictional and licensed content, fully supports the Oculus Rift, and has a time-unlimited demo. Because it is still under development the game is not open to adding in community made cars and tracks, though applications can be made to connect to LFS for data manipulation and server administration.
this information brought to you by pik_d

Slightly Mad Studios previously developed the "Need for Speed: Shift" series under the boot of Electronic Arts, for Project CARS they went their own way with a self-funded/crowd-funded model. Currently without a doubt the most beautiful of the sims out there. Owning probably to its cross-platform nature pCars has an actual career mode, something you don't normally see in PC sims. There's a good amount of tracks and cars, with an emphasis on current and classic race cars. AI seems to be a bit of a mixed bag, though opinions on the matter vary. First mods have been sighted, although it's doubtful if a real community will spring up around it. Slightly Mad promised to keep expanding the game with DLC for several years, if the announcement of Project CARS 2 cuts those plans short has to be seen.

RaceRoom Racing Experience or "R3E" is being developed by former SimBin people who did some of the best sims last generation on the isiMotor2 (i.e. rFactor1) engine. RaceRoom is Free-To-Play (with three tracks and half a dozen cars it would have been called Demo back when demos were still a thing) with purchasable content packs generally build around specific racing series, R3E as a whole is very much geared towards being able to play full race seasons with a proper field of cars and a good selection of fitting tracks. Reception initially was mixed but has been improving greatly. The AI is very capable of giving you a good racing experience and is, together with exceptional sound design, one of the standout features of R3E. If you buy all the content this is one of the more expensive sims around, but to be fair there is a lot of it done in good quality. Modding is nonexistant. Be aware that despite the strong "offline" racing R3E does not have an actual offline mode, you need to be connected at all times.

The sim with a pedigree. rFactor 1 (or rather it's underlying isiMotor2 engine) was the platform for years. rFactor2 started development in 2009 and had some trouble getting off the ground but has been improving a lot. Official content is a bit meager and varies greatly in quality, not the least because the long development time means cars and tracks are or where in a state of catch-up. Recently ISI seem to be making strides to get their act together on that front, updating their own as well as incorporating third-party content. The AI is one of the better ones out there given the right (that is up-to-date) car/track combination. rFactor2 features "real road" technology (i.e. rubber/grip accumulates dynamically on the racing line) and a tire model that physically models flatspots (hello wheel vibration). There is weather as well as night racing. Highly moddable but the community hasn't embraced it as much as rFactor 1 yet due to the slow/shaky start and (so goes the word) the difficulty of modding for their tire model.

Technology improves, not only in terms of presentation but also in the kind of physics a home PC can handle. Nevertheless most of these should still drive very well and you might find cars, tracks or series you like that you can't find in current sims. Some might be added more for their place in racing sim history.

FROM NEWER TO OLDER

Released 2007 by SimBin - well regarded for their previous work on GT Legends, GTR and GTR2 - Race07 is one of the many games developed on the isiMotor2 (i.e. rFactor1) engine. Race07's features good racing AI and a host of expansion packs turning it into a pretty comprehensive racing collection. A collection of Race07 including some of the expansion content was released under the name Race Injection, however it's missing some beloved cars and tracks and is thus considered inferior despite slight upgrades.
  • [no official site]
  • Developer: SimBin Studios
  • Available on Steam

Another SimBin isiMotor2 joint, GTR2 from 2006 is one of the classics of sim racing. The emphasis lies on GT/Touring Car racing but some open wheelers are included as well. A kinda sorta remake of it made it to Race07 in the from of the GTR Evolution expansion, but I think the consensus is that GTR2 is superior.
  • [no official site]
  • Available on Steam

And again we have SimBin on isiMotor2. And again it's a classic. GT Legends was released in 2005 and is based around GT cars from the 60s and 70s. Somewhat rare in PC sim racing, GT Legends has a career mode and unlocks. There are two big mods (Historic GT & Touring Cars for rFactor and Power & Glory for GTR2) taking and improving GT Legends within (somewhat) newer engines, since you need GT Legends to install Historic GT & Touring Cars you might want to pick it up for that alone.
  • [no official site]
  • Available on Steam

rFactor was released in 2005 and became the racing sim platform for years, used for several commercial products and approximately one bazillion mods. The visuals are obviously showing it's age, the UI is archaic as is the configuration, but in terms of content it'll keep you busy for ages.

The last entry developed by Papyrus in the once famous Nascar series and apparently still the only Nascar game worth playing. Since it was released back in 2003 NR2k3 has been modded to include a host of oval racing series ( Indycar, dirt ovals, legends, sprint cars etc). One of the founders of Papyrus later went on to make iRacing, which is based on the Nascar engine.

If you're looking for good rallying, there is was only RBR. (Now there's Dirt Rally too!) Released in 2004, it was the only real rally sim for a whole decade and it keeps on being excellent to this day. RBR is always there for you. RBR is eternal. RBR is also very very hard. The community keeps the game alive through a mod pack called RSRBR (see here), although RBR wasn't developed with modding in mind so everything is kinda terribly hacked in. Luckily, since it's all in one pack, the installation is relatively straightforward and you should probably not play RBR without it.
  • [no official site]
  • Developer: Warthog Games
  • Available only used

If you're talking about a true classic of a game genre, this sim from 1998 is it. GPL has a bit of an unfair reputation as being unrealistically difficult to drive due to the demo car being set up idiotically and the full release not allowing any aids during actual races which made it hard for people to ease into the sim. Not that it isn't really hard, just not undriveably so. GPL has a surprising amount of mods as well as a big unofficial patch (start here).
  • [no official site]
  • Developer: Papyrus Design Group
  • Available only used

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

If you spend god knows how much on a wheel it's a good idea to also spend some time digging into how to set it up correctly. Every sim handles FFB differently so there's sadly no all-in-one solution to be found, a little time investment is necessary. Plus, especially for older games, you might end up having to open the odd INI or CFG file.

Here is a guide for rFactor2, but the general gist of it applies to other sims as well. I'll try to give you a short version of the important points, from my admittedly limited understanding of the subject:

Clipping
    The big one. Damper and Spring might be debatable as personal preference, but clipping really isn't. In short, your wheel clips when the game demands more force to be put out than the motor can handle. You end up with a constant (that is your wheel's maximum) force and any information the game tries to give you beyond that is simply lost, cut off. Ideally you would never want that to happen, however if you turn down the FFB strength in the game to such a level that it never ever clips, not even when you smash over a curb at high speeds, then the force range left for normal driving situations might end up being very small and the resulting FFB feeling very weak.

In order to dial this in you need an app for the sim that shows you the forces, this generally comes as a pedals app with four moving columns which show clutch, brake, throttle and the current force feedback state. Then it's a matter of driving around adjusting force feedback strength so that it doesn't "get into the red" too much. You might also want to deliberately drive with clipping for a while to be able to recognize how it feels, this is going to help you dial in FFB in sims that don't have a way of measuring it.
Deadzone
    Most (affordable) wheels due to their construction have a certain deadzone before FFB picks up, making them feel somewhat dead if only little forces act on the car. Newer sims have a workaround for that by way of a minimum force setting. This just means small amounts of force that your wheel couldn't have produced get increased enough to overcome the deadzone so they don't get lost.
Damper & Spring
    As far as I've been able to suss out these are only to add constant forces to the wheel, spring being a return-to-center force, damper being a resistance-to-turning force. There is some personal preference here and for games without a minimum force setting damper might help with the deadzone feeling, but ultimately they do mask some of the dynamic FFB actually coming from the car with fixed forces not coming from the car, so I've been setting them to OFF whenever I seem them. Be it in the driver, on my wheel, or in the game.

Steering Rotation is the amount of rotation the steering wheel has from far left to far right (lock to lock). Modern wheels generally have 900° or 1080° max and can be adjusted via driver and/or on the wheel itself.

Steering Lock is the amount of rotation the front tires can turn from center to either side (generally, sometimes it's given as lock to lock, but not in any of the sims here AFAIK).

Steering Ratio is the amount of degrees you have to turn the steering wheel so that the front tires turn one degree.

Steering Ratio = Steering Rotation / ( 2 * Steering Lock )

For example: 540° Rotation with 20 Lock gives you a Ratio of 13.5 to 1.

Or, if you like pictures, I found this somewhere:

The important thing really is to get the steering ratio right so the car isn't either too twitchy (low steering ratio) or two slow to turn (high steering ratio). There is of course lots of room for personal preference here. A low steering ratio means having to turn less in sharp corners and quicker counter-steering at the expense of precision. Some people adjust steering ratio on a per-track basis. Most new games either already have or will have the option to just tell them what your maximum wheel rotation is and they will set the "correct" values per car based on what the real-world values are. In older games you might have to set these yourself.

Real world values for most cars seem to be within the 12 to 16 range, open wheelers often have lower values and Karts the lowest.

This is a touchy subject because it goes into "let me tell you how to play this game right" territory. Just consider this my personal opinion, you're obviously free to play the game the way you see fit.

Using the correct FOV is important. I didn't believe this at first, in fact I even thought that a higher FOV gives me a better sense of the "true" speed and thus might be of advantage. However what it comes down to is that you're actually getting a fake sense of speed by warping perspective and spatial dimensions. Think of your monitor as a window into the world (your brain does when it interprets distance and size) and install it in your car at the exact same distance as in your sim setup - there's only one correct FOV so that what you see on your monitor fits the rest of the world:

Monitor at ~22" distance from the eye.
Here are two screens from Assetto Corsa:

My correct FOV of 37

AC standard FOV of 54
Let's say my brake point is somewhere at that signal light on the right side, shortly after the 200m sign. I'm the same distance away in both pictures, travelling at the same speed, and it's going to take me the same amount of time to get there. But in the high FOV scenario my brake marker will seemingly come up much quicker, from a smaller starting size, giving me less time to react. That's what you're really doing with a too high FOV: shortening your reaction times to "less then real".

Hitting brake points, hitting apex, judging width of track, judging distance to other cars - all of that improved drastically for me after the simple change of setting the correct FOV. Getting used to the "slower" sense of speed took me about an hour or two.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 16, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Thrustmaster T2, "force feedback" was generated by two bungee cords pulling the wheel back to center. It was amazing.

You'll probably want a force feedback wheel sooner or later. Here's a list of commonly used wheels. Some might be discontinued but still available through ebay and the like. With some of these pedals and/or shifters are included, for some you have to spent extra.

Entry Level (< $200)
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
Mid-Range Wheels (about $200 - $500)
  • Logitech G27/G25/G29
  • Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 & GT3
  • Fanatec CSR & CSR Elite
  • Thrustmaster T300
  • Thrustmaster TX
High-End Wheels (about $500 - $1000)
  • Thrustmaster T500RS
  • Fanatec Clubsport
The Great Beyond i.e. Direct Drive Wheels (> $1000)
  • SimXperience’s AccuForce
  • Leo Bodnar’s SimSteering System

A good set of pedals is not to be underestimated, especially pressure sensitive (as opposed to just travel sensitive) brake pedals. Fanatec's Clubsport Pedals ($300)and CSR Elite ($200) pedals are probably the go-to, quite expensive, plug-and-play choices right now.

Cockpits

Nerdrock posted:

Short of constructing your own, the generally accepted price-to-performance choices are from Obutto.

Pictured above is the Ozone, which starts at $364.99 , but include the practically necessary $99.99 Fully Articulating Keyboard Tray , and $119.99 Triple Display Mount , You're looking at around $585.

A similar concept but improvement on stability, aesthetics, and build quality can be found in their R3volution for $799 which includes the articulating keyboard tray, but the $129 Triple Display Mount is still an optional accessory.

Oculus Rift

Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset currently in development by Oculus VR under chief technology officer John motherfucking Carmack... look, I don't really have to tell you what Oculus Rift is, do I?

Instead, let's hear about which sims currently support Oculus and how well:

peter gabriel posted:

iRacing: Native Rift support, extremely easy to use. The game asks if you want to use your Rift when you join a race, just click 'Yes' and away you go - all menus in game are VR friendly. Probably the best implementation of VR support out there.
Performance is great in game, no problems. Some HUD elements are tricky to read at the edges of the screen, but not unreadable.

Assetto Corsa: Native Rift support. Rift is selected in the in game graphics options as a monitor. VR only works in game, menus right now are not VR friendly and are impossible to use with VR headset on. It's recommended to keep the Rift turned off right until you click 'Start' to race.
Performance in game is good. Overall experience is excellent once driving. You have to hit alt + F4 to quit races for some odd reason. Using in game post processing effects can break the game with VR. It's a work in progress however, so benefit of the doubt given to these annoyances for now.

Live For Speed: Native VR support with official patch:
https://www.lfs.net/patch-6f

Select Rift from in game menus, all menus are VR friendly. In game experience is excellent and gives new life to an old game. Highly recommended for people without beastly PCs as the target 75 FPS is achievable on modest hardware.

Cojawfee posted:

Here's some rift info for the games I have played:

iRacing: This sim has full rift support. Turn on the rift, click the join button and wait for an alert box asking if you want to use the rift. You can use either direct mode or extended mode. Try both to see with which you get better performance. Sometimes you can get an annoying scan line in direct mode. If this happens, turn the rift off and then back on. Repeat until the scan line disappears. The rift does not need to be primary for extended mode. When using extended mode, you can also use SweetFX. Download that file, extract it and then copy the SweetFX folder, the two DLLs and the two text files into your iracing install folder (Default C:\Program Files (X86)), not into your documents folder. Make sure iRacing is set to be in 64bit mode. It applies a sharpening affect that increases the perceived resolution. You can open the settings file and scroll down to LumaSharpen to change the sharpen settings. It goes from .1 to 3. I set mine around 1.5 as 3 was way too sharp. Scroll Lock toggles it on and off.

Assetto Corsa: This sim has basic rift support. It has to be run in extended mode and the rift has to be set to the primary monitor. None of the menus have rift support so you either need to remove the lenses and look at the screen. AC does render the game in a separate window, so you can move the main window to a different monitor and it will still render the actual sim on the rift. In the graphics settings, the filter must be set to "None" or the sim will crash when trying to load.

Project Cars: This sim has basic rift support. It has to be run in extended mode but the rift does not need to be set to the primary monitor. None of the menus have rift support so you either need to close one eye and try to see where you need to click or remove the lenses to look at the screen.

Keep a can of compressed air around if you take the lenses off. Even if just for a second, something got in there and stuck to the screen and now you have a spec of dust or a hair being magnified through the lenses.

osker posted:

Richard Burns Rally: This sim, believe it or not, has great Rift support thanks to a Finn. The Rift solves the original RBR's terrible cameras. To get it working you have install the Official Patches 1.01 and 1.02 then head over to http://www.kegetys.fi/richard-burns-rally-oculus-rift-mod-update-v1-2/ download the mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBPVrC0tPw

General sim racing sites:

VirtualR - General news
RaceDepartment - General News, forums, big mod repository
Inside Sim Racing TV - General news, hardware & game reviews
iRacing News - iRacing centric news site
RaceSimCentral - General news, currently in domain transition

Youtube channels:

Inside Sim Racing TV - General news, hardware & game reviews
Sim Racing Garage - High end hardware reviews

And some LP type Youtube channels, good if you just want to see a particular game or new content for a game in motion:

Empty Box - Has opinions.
Jimmy Broadbent - Excitable and sometimes hard to understand.
Abgefahren - German, so most of you can concentrate on the video.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 30, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Notable content mods released for Assetto Corsa as of May 2015:

1.1 Ready Mods

Cars:

Tracks: (Tarmac circuit unless otherwise noted)

Broken Mods

Cars:
There are two things that need to be updated to make these old car mods work in 1.1:
Aeros: Open aero.ini in the car's data folder and remove the entire block with the [DATA] header and change VERSION under [HEADER] to be VERSION=2.
Sound: Copy another (hopefully similar sounding) car's GUIDs.txt and .bank file from their sfx folder into the sfx folder of the car to be updated. Then replace the name of the .bank file and every reference in the GUIDs.txt with the folder name of the car being updated. If the car already has a GUIDs.txt and .bank file, then this likely isn't necessary.
You can find unofficial fixes for most of these cars, usually on the AC Support Forums, some of these mods should receive official patches eventually too.

There's tonnes more mods out there if you know what you're looking for.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 1, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
All right, all systems go.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Got my first wheel, a G27 and iracing. It's a lot of fun. Can't wait to try some of this poo poo in the rift or HTC vive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Racing sims are fantastic and this is the best time currently to get into the genre. We've seen some amazing new high quality sims in the last year and Project CARS comes out in a month. :homebrew:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Sim Racing is serious business

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEZ59T8j44

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lots of info in there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Project CARS, go gold already.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

holocaust bloopers posted:

Agreed.

Also the consumer Occulus Rift.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

April 2. :getin: In before another delay.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
A recommendation, as your sim gear gets more serious, you might have to as well. It is rumored that a motor add-on for the expensive Accuforce wheel can break your goddamn arms.

If you do endurance racing, proper gloves to prevent blisters might be needed as well as footwear.

If you can buy spare parts, do so so that you're not waiting weeks without a wheel or pedals. I have a spare racing wheel and pedals in the form of a MOMO wheel, but also spare pots for my Clubsport Pedals and tools at the ready to fix my stuff.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
by Thrustmaster T300 and T300 you really mean Thrustmaster T300, Thrustmaster TX, and Thrustmaster T500rs right?

That has to be Pastor Maldonado driving the Lotus there.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I just noticed that VirtualR isn't in the OP. They cover most major updates or trailers on these sims, as well as major mod updates or releases.

(Posting for first page posterity)
There's a decent crowd of Goons who race in a weekly iRacing league. GoonCar's current season is 3/4 done, and runs every Sunday until the season runs out. Then, we'll run for another dozen weeks once someone ponies up the cash for hosting. We run Skip Barber cars on mostly short ovals, with a couple of road courses thrown in and a figure 8 death race to finish out the season.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm getting these errors every time I try to start a race in Assetto Corsa and then it kicks me out to the main menu. Any ideas?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Did you try googling any of them? What are your computer specs?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

KillHour posted:

I'm getting these errors every time I try to start a race in Assetto Corsa and then it kicks me out to the main menu. Any ideas?

Verify integrity in Steam.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Verify integrity in Steam.

Did that already. Googling mostly came up with stuff about triple monitor setups, which I don't have.

Specs:

code:
CPU:           Intel Core i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge-DT, E1)
               3400 MHz (34.00x100.0) @ 1604 MHz (16.00x100.3)
Motherboard:   ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Chipset:       Intel Z77 (Panther Point DH)
Memory:        16384 MBytes @ 802 MHz, 11.0-11-11-28
               - 4096 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBSR1
Graphics:      Intel Ivy Bridge-DT GT2 - Integrated Graphics Controller [E1/L1/N0/P0] [AsusTek]
               Intel HD Graphics 4000, 2112 MB 
Graphics:      EVGA e-GeForce GTX 670
               NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, 2048 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive:         SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         ST3000DM001-1E6166, 2930.3 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB, DVD+R DL
Sound:         NVIDIA GK104 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network:       Intel 82579V (Lewisville) Gigabit Network Connection

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Is it on a certain car or track, or is it for any combination? I've had mods give me errors before. I've also had Fraps crash Assetto Corsa... Good thing they have a built in framerate app.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

Is it on a certain car or track, or is it for any combination? I've had mods give me errors before. I've also had Fraps crash Assetto Corsa... Good thing they have a built in framerate app.

Any combination. No mods installed.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i know it's generic but have you tried a complete reinstall?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OhsH posted:

i know it's generic but have you tried a complete reinstall?

No dice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ringo Star Get posted:

A recommendation, as your sim gear gets more serious, you might have to as well. It is rumored that a motor add-on for the expensive Accuforce wheel can break your goddamn arms.

Where dis rumor from?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Ziploc posted:

Where dis rumor from?

From the iRacing forums. Take it with a grain of salt but I'd like to imagine that there is some goober out there who did the motor add-on and then cranked it up to 11 while blaring Guns 'n Roses and plowed into the walls at Daytona and promptly had both his arms get pulled right off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no motor add on to the accuforce. It's an industrial servo motor with a control box. The servo cranked to the max can break your arm. That's one reason why I'm wary of getting one of those. My CSW is already really strong and I have to be careful to let go of that so it doesn't break my thumbs. Be wary of a device that comes with an emergency stop button.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm glad I saw this thread! I'm on my third wheel now, a G27, and it's great but I'm having trouble finding games that fully support it. I have Assetto Corsa, and it's pretty good in its current state, but I spent a lot of time going through racing games on Steam but being unable to find many more that fully support the G27. Worst-case scenario, some of the arcadey-ones only support gamepads, no wheels at all. :saddowns: I think I have Race07 though, and iRacing looks good (and it has Miatas! :neckbeard:) The only thing is I don't race often enough for a subscription to be worth it. The same for a cockpit, I don't drive enough to justify the expense (and don't have the space for one); right now I have to clamp the wheel & shifter to my keyboard drawer, which isn't ideal as far as the positioning of the shifter is concerned, plus it has a tendency to get pulled off the tray as I shift. I wish there was some compact, temporary cockpit setup that I could use. I do have driving gloves & shoes (Piloti) that I use in my big-boy Miata, though, that I will try with the G27 the next time I set it up.

The only thing is, I'm pretty terrible at racing games. I don't get the sensation of speed from the games so it's hard to judge corners. This is probably due to the disconnect between the visuals and my brain knowing that I'm actually stationary in a chair. It's still fun to play these games/sims, but I guess I'm just not cut out for being a racist. :smith: I wouldn't mind some kind of driving sim, versus racing ones; it would be fun just to drive around real-world locations and enjoy the scenery rather than trying to hopelessly race people who are much better than me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
In regards to the RBR copy from gamesplanet, is that just a copy of the original disc or does it incorporate the latest patches?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 2, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Atomizer posted:

The only thing is, I'm pretty terrible at racing games. I don't get the sensation of speed from the games so it's hard to judge corners.

I think a lot of that is due to the sensation of speed coming in large part from fast movement in your peripheral vision which you just don't get on a single monitor.

GutBomb posted:

by Thrustmaster T300 and T300 you really mean Thrustmaster T300, Thrustmaster TX, and Thrustmaster T500rs right?

Copy-Paste Failure, corrected.

As far as other feedback goes, I'll collect that and update next weekend.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

KillHour posted:

Did you try reinstalling DirectX and/or your gfx card drivers?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I think a lot of that is due to the sensation of speed coming in large part from fast movement in your peripheral vision which you just don't get on a single monitor.

This might be part of it (although I have 4 monitors, I only play on one because I use a 2x2 setup) although I still think the majority of the problem is that you know you're not really moving at any speed. Like, you know how when you're in an actual vehicle (car, plane, whatever) you can tell when you're moving even with your eyes closed? Not only can you detect acceleration, deceleration, and lateral motion, you also get feedback from the controls, so if you're driving you can tell when you're losing traction. Force Feedback can only compensate for the latter to a degree.

Even though the cars in Assetto Corsa are race-prepped, and much faster than my own, when I'm flossin' in my Pussy Magnet I can drive it way harder than any car in a sim (in the sense that I can push it to its limits without misjudging speed and/or losing control.) I mean is it just me or do you guys also have some trouble adapting to virtual cars?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Atomizer posted:

This might be part of it (although I have 4 monitors, I only play on one because I use a 2x2 setup) although I still think the majority of the problem is that you know you're not really moving at any speed. Like, you know how when you're in an actual vehicle (car, plane, whatever) you can tell when you're moving even with your eyes closed? Not only can you detect acceleration, deceleration, and lateral motion, you also get feedback from the controls, so if you're driving you can tell when you're losing traction. Force Feedback can only compensate for the latter to a degree.

Even though the cars in Assetto Corsa are race-prepped, and much faster than my own, when I'm flossin' in my Pussy Magnet I can drive it way harder than any car in a sim (in the sense that I can push it to its limits without misjudging speed and/or losing control.) I mean is it just me or do you guys also have some trouble adapting to virtual cars?

Everyone experiences the "virtual car adaptation" you're going through. You just can't get a proper feeling for speed in your seat as in real life. It takes a lot of getting used to, as you rely a lot more on listening to the tire squeals etc to know when you're breaking traction.

iRacing is expensive, but there's almost always promos going on where you can pick up a year of subscription for the cost of a single AAA title (around $50). Just keep an eye out. Someone usually posts in the iRacing thread when a new promo is happening too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Another big part of it is just the complete lack of g-forces exerted. Something like this would help with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFCRh-anfRg

But even with a ridiculuous set up like that, simulation will never match reality.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You might as well build a racecar with the cost of a setup like that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Norns posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654809&userid=96567#post438320091

Obviously, you don't know goons. (He's doing both!)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

I know what you're trying to say but that's kind of dumb. Yes, you can get an actual race car for the cost of a motion rig like that. But once you factor in the cost of transportation of your race car, maintenance, and other running costs, it's cheaper to have the motion rig.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The updated Brabham for rF2 is really fun.

Also, rF1 just showed up on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339790/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No I get it. 30 grand also isnt going to get you into a F1 or a Bugatti. But it will get you close with the motion rig.

Still a lot of money you could build a fun track car with.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

KillHour posted:

Go to your documents folder and open Assettocorsa/cfg/video.cfg and change aa samples from zero to one. I was getting the same error a while back when I was dicking with my oculus rift settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

GhostDog posted:

In regards to the RBR copy from gamesplanet, is that just a copy of the original disc or does it incorporate the latest patches?

It is just a copy of the games disc hence my linking to the official patches which you can only really find through racedepartment. The rsrbr2015 includes the patches, but if your goal is just vanilla rbr then you're gonna have to hunt them down like I did.

• Locked thread