Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Your back is gonna be pissed you didn't spend more than $50.

The motherfucker making a rig out of PVC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

osker posted:

The motherfucker making a rig out of PVC...

Flimsy rear end rigged up base or not, splurge on a seat with a bit of padding if you can.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
These are straight out of AC (photo mode and stock PP's used, no post):

The countach model is great and sounds decent, but the physics are a long way from done, currently is on rails. The audi DTM is a blast, very tail-happy, one of the best sounding mods yet, too.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

365 Nog Hogger posted:

These are straight out of AC (photo mode and stock PP's used, no post):

The countach model is great and sounds decent, but the physics are a long way from done, currently is on rails. The audi DTM is a blast, very tail-happy, one of the best sounding mods yet, too.

Stuff like this appears and I just forgive AC for all its faults all over again :allears:

Edit:

You can hear the food blender engine noise well on this vid, it really gets to me for some reson, from the tiny Fiat to the mighty Countach they all sound like kitchen appliances and it is the strangest thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDBfDXLTn0

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
R3E just needs to rent out their sound department.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Control Volume posted:

Also I guess this is the best place to ask, if I were to say build a cockpit out of PVC, where the hell do I find a seat for that? Is it just a cheap racing seat with a cheap cover thrown over it or is there something I'm missing here because even the cheap seat options seem kind of pricey.

Thirding the junkyard. My first cockpit has a passenger seat from a 2nd gen Mazda MX-6 (aka Ford Probe) and it's great, though it did require a LOT of time with the carpet shampooer to get all the coffee out of it (thank $deity my bet paid off and the brown stain was in fact coffee). My second one currently has a seat from a Hyundai Tiburon, but I think it's going to get swapped for the MX6 seat since I like that one more. Between the two I think I've spent $45 total.

There are a lot of '90s/'00s "sport" FWDs in the JYs that have pretty good seats as long as you're <200 pounds.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Your back is gonna be pissed you didn't spend more than $50.

I found a decent actual seat on craigslist for 100 bucks and replaced the awful playseat's seat with it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Flimsy rear end rigged up base or not, splurge on a seat with a bit of padding if you can.

man pvc is sturdier than wood if you're not stupid about designing the frame

thanks for the junkyard picking advice though, i'll probably go that route when i finally get around to building this thing

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
GSC updated on Steam, 4-stroke carts!

And more:

Car:
-Added new kart series: 4-stroke GX390 amateur racing spec

Track:
-Added Londrina kart track (3 layouts)

Features & Fixes:

-Updated terrain shaders & textures for Spielberg, Spielberg Historic & Interlagos Historic (other tracks to receive the same treatment in following updates)
-Several sound updates & fine tuning
-Several physics updates & fine tuning
-Various AI fixes & improvements
-Further optimization (F-Retro, F-Vee & trackside TV cameras specially)
-Fixed bug with F-Retro shadows becoming corrupted and crippling performance
-Upgraded Metalmoro MR18 windshield resolution in all cars
-Fixed alpha in road lines sorting with 3D grass blades in various tracks
-Improved scaling of mirrors in all cars (further mapping corrections still to be done)
-Reduced default cockpit FOV from 55 to 50 degrees in all cars

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Control Volume posted:

man pvc is sturdier than wood if you're not stupid about designing the frame

thanks for the junkyard picking advice though, i'll probably go that route when i finally get around to building this thing

Indeed, you can slap together a solid rig with it if you sweat the details. I still insist on a seat with padding as someone that's spent a lot of time in unpadded race seats, although it's not quite as bad in something stationary with no impact to absorb. As mentioned, junked Mazda's are probably your best bet, and non race buckets have much better ingress/egress.

I'm still on the fence about re purposing my car's stock seat and spending the money I intend to put towards a CSL setup on a nice Bride seat instead. But you know, effort.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 10, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dream Pack 1 for Asseto Cords is out in a couple hours.

Can't wait to run the new McLarens up and down 20 miles of green hell today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Norns posted:

Dream Pack 1 for Asseto Cords is out in a couple hours.

Can't wait to run the new McLarens up and down 20 miles of green hell today.

"Features the legendary Nurburgring-Nordschleife circuit in three all-new layouts: Nurburgring-Nordschleife, Tourist, Endurance. "

:homebrew:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
If anyone is down for some Live For Speed shinanigans sometime, I'm in.

Even if it's a jump track. I miss that sim.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Dream Pack for AC is out! :pcgaming: You may have to restart Steam to get it to download.

The McLaren F1 GTR and Alfa GTA are both heaps of fun. Also the track map icon for the Nurburgring includes the Sudschleife. :eyepop:

Edit: Mod cars seem to be broken again. :negative:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 11, 2015

advion
Jul 25, 2005
They are working fine here :/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jehde posted:

The Dream Pack for AC is out! :pcgaming: You may have to restart Steam to get it to download.

The McLaren F1 GTR and Alfa GTA are both heaps of fun. Also the track map icon for the Nurburgring includes the Sudschleife. :eyepop:

Edit: Mod cars seem to be broken again. :negative:

Don't know if it was the DLC or some other update snuck in at the same time, but I lost a couple of car and track previews in the process. Verifying Steam's file cache for the game solved it (after some number crunching). No breakage beyond that, though.

Also, I think I may have broken my record for sliding on the roof in the 4C — it's not the fastest thing in the world, but it seems really well-polished. :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 11, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh good, I can drive the C9 and F1 GTR exactly as well as I can the 787B (i.e., not very :saddowns:)!

The Alfa and Merc touring cars are so much fun though. GT-R and Vette sound really good and are easy to drive. :10bux: well spent.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I feel really good about spending ten bucks on the dream pack. My favorite track, and 10 cars I'm pretty excited to drive the poo poo out of.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Stupid question, but is it possible to map the dpad and buttons for the G27 to the menus in AC?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Stupid question, but is it possible to map the dpad and buttons for the G27 to the menus in AC?

I'm pretty sure you can't. The menu being entirely mouse driven is one of the bigger gripes I have about AC. Specifically having to click that steering wheel button after everything's loaded up.

The mods not working may just be me, I'll double check when I get home.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Jehde posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't. The menu being entirely mouse driven is one of the bigger gripes I have about AC. Specifically having to click that steering wheel button after everything's loaded up.

The mods not working may just be me, I'll double check when I get home.

That sucks. I've been using this micro-keyboard since I sit at my seat when I play and it just isn't great for navigating the pre-game and in-game menus.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I absolutely loathe the menu system, and not just because it's 100% mouse driven. I really want a setup system that can fit the most complex car setup all into a single screen.

That said, I made a "reset to pits" AutoHotKey script that I bind to the top button on the G27 shifter that works quite well. It isn't full menu control, but it certainly does the most used combination of mouse clicks I use in the game when I'm hotlapping/tweaking a setup.

You'll likely need to change the coordinates to fit your setup's resolution, but it gives you an idea on how it can be done.

code:
#IfWinActive ahk_class acsW
{
1Joy16::
	Send {Esc}
	MouseMove 2880, 636, 0
	Click
	Sleep 2000
	MouseMove 1970, 176, 0
	Click
	MouseMove 1920, 1200, 0
return
}

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Assetto Corsa v1.1 update and dream pack trip report, well done Kunos. The AI is still epileptic with brakes and mostly useless, but slightly less so. Many of the sound anomalies are fixed and there's a general improvement all around, less otherworldly food blender, more combustion engine snarl. Their claims of tweaking how smoke and reflections are rendered are legit, performance is much more consistent and tire smoke no longer tanks the framerate, seeing better performance on the high setting than I ever saw set to normal pre-update. The added weather settings are a nice touch and I dig the pronounced brake light illumination under low light conditions. Haven't gone super in depth or driven all the cars, but everything seems up to the usual AC standard which is very good. They put that 1.1 gigs to good use in this update, here's to hoping it's the first of more to come.

Bummer to hear it's breaking mods, I held off on messing with them until after the update to see how that panned out.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 12, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah any mod car I try to load in AC 1.1 just causes it to crash. Even the Miura and 787B crash it. Is this happening for anyone else?

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
There's a thread on the AC support forums about mod cars causing crashes. There are a couple of causes for the crashes, the first one is pretty simple to fix and applies to all mod cars.

Dude on AC forums posted:

Since the 1.1 update modded cars don't work.
I think the issue is in the aero data, here's a fix:
Go into the car's data folder and open aero.ini with any text editor (I use notepad++) and you should see something like this

[HEADER]
VERSION=1

[DATA]
REFERENCE_AREA=1.5
CD=0.445
CL=1.6
FRONT_SHARE=0.40
CDX=1
CDY=1

[WING_0]

Change VERSION=1 to VERSION=2 and delete everything from DATA so it looks like this

[HEADER]
VERSION=2

[WING_0]

Apparently that section of the ini has been obsolete for a couple of builds so this fix shouldn't have any effects on how the cars drive.

The second fix is only needed for mods that use sounds taken from the original cars that come with the game, I haven't tried this one because I only wanted to fix the Mazda 787b.

Dude on AC forums posted:

Open the assettocorsa\content\cars\*car*\sfx folder
Open the GUIDs.txt file
Copy the code in the first set of brackets: It should be something like this - {7b5cc569-f565-4fc2-a513-86f123926fab}

Now go to assettocorsa\content\sfx
Open the GUIDs.txt file
Press ctrl+F to search for that string of code
Using my example, it goes down to "{7b5cc569-f565-4fc2-a513-86f123926fab} event:/cars/mercedes_sls/backfire_ext"
This just shows what .bank file you will need to copy

Go to assettocorsa\content\cars\mercedes_sls\sfx (obviously it might be a different car for you)
Copy mercedes_sls.bank
Paste it into the assettocorsa\content\cars\*car*\sfx
Delete the old *car*.bank
Rename mercedes_sls.bank to *car*.bank

Copy the default GUIDS.txt from the content\sfx\ folder and paste it into the mod car sfx folder
Open the GUIDS.txt file
Find and replace mercedes_sls (or whatever other car the sounds were from) with the car mod folder name

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Good find! Doesn't seem to work for all mods unfortuantely, notably the 288 GTO. :(

Some tracks got messed up too, mainly the offroad type ones. The solution for these are to delete these two lines (or similar) from data/surfaces.ini

WAV=gravel.wav
WAV_PITCH=1.3

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The ring is awesome. Also, the AI isn't nearly as retarded now. Instead of it being like driving against the worlds worst racing game AI it's more along the lines of racing against goons :rice:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yo, Project Cars got delayed again, this time its "mid may" so I guess I'll just go gently caress myself

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basticle posted:

yo, Project Cars got delayed again, this time its "mid may" so I guess I'll just go gently caress myself

At least I get to play it still but holy poo poo it's hard to defend the game and talk about how good it is when it has delays that are worse than Gran Turismo 5. People on the outside look at the delays and think it's understandably crap, experience with delays would back those assumptions up.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

I said come in! posted:

At least I get to play it still but holy poo poo it's hard to defend the game and talk about how good it is when it has delays that are worse than Gran Turismo 5. People on the outside look at the delays and think it's understandably crap, experience with delays would back those assumptions up.

I think SMS pressed the PCARS discs at the same factory where Fanatec makes their gear:

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

Unfortunately, we have to inform you that the goods (ClubSport Shifter / ClubSport shifter SQ / ClubSport Shifter Table Clamp) have not arrived at the warehouse yet. The container including our goods has arrived at the port, but this container is currently in a closed area. At the moment we cannot say how long our goods will be in quarantine and when the public authority will release our goods.

We hope that the container will be released soon and forwarded to the warehouse. Your order will be shipped immediately – after the goods have arrived in stock at our warehouse. We will keep you informed about the dispatch in time.

We fully understand if you are not willing to wait for such a long time to obtain your order. Of course, you can withdraw your order at any time. We would then refund the pre-payments immediately.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences arising by this shipping delay.

You can tell they have a web form which insets one paragraph of platitudes per checkbox.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

osker posted:

I think SMS pressed the PCARS discs at the same factory where Fanatec makes their gear:

You can tell they have a web form which insets one paragraph of platitudes per checkbox.

At least the ship didn't sink this time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

PROJECT CARS GO GOLD ALREADY

gently caress

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
What's the verdict on the AI changes in Assetto Corsa 1.1? Any reason to change the OP? I'd try myself but the space where I set up my wheel is blocked for a bit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just to comment from the front page, I've had a few different racecars over the years and dollar amount doesn't really play into enjoyment in real life. A lap day with a cheap fox mustang is just as fun as a lap day in a ferrari or race prepped s2000 or whatever.

Auto-X in a gutted civic is just as fun as a Corvette.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GhostDog posted:

What's the verdict on the AI changes in Assetto Corsa 1.1? Any reason to change the OP? I'd try myself but the space where I set up my wheel is blocked for a bit.

Eh. They've changed from being a mobile line of roadblocks that cannot be said to actually race their cars in any sane or sensible manner to being a mobile line of roadblocks that occasionally attempt to look like they're racing. They still don't offer anything really in the way of opposition to race against so the OP is still accurate enough on this point.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I know everyone's raving about asseto corsa and someone actually laser scanning the Nurburgring but in between sections of writing my dissertation I've been messing with Game Stock Car Extreme and its honestly some of the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially the karts: I was always a little cynical about whether something that small and powerless would be worth sim driving but my God its fun. Even the gutless rental karts are really fun. I think a lot of it is because of the fact they are so positive and you can feel where the limit is and when you've gone over it. Its actually helping me get reaccustomed to sim racing a bit; they are perfect for someone who is just getting into the thing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

A lap day with a cheap fox mustang

I'm calling bullshit on this one from everything I've heard fox bodies aren't good at anything but quarters.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this one from everything I've heard fox bodies aren't good at anything but quarters.

thats what makes them so fun on everything that isnt a quarter

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

I know everyone's raving about asseto corsa and someone actually laser scanning the Nurburgring but in between sections of writing my dissertation I've been messing with Game Stock Car Extreme and its honestly some of the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially the karts: I was always a little cynical about whether something that small and powerless would be worth sim driving but my God its fun. Even the gutless rental karts are really fun. I think a lot of it is because of the fact they are so positive and you can feel where the limit is and when you've gone over it. Its actually helping me get reaccustomed to sim racing a bit; they are perfect for someone who is just getting into the thing.

This endorsement is the straw that broke my wallet's camel's back and I picked up GSE yesterday. I agree every bit with this post. This is the first time anything simulating Karts has actually been fun. It's flat out amazing.

Everyone : race the karts in this. It's sweet. (oh god someone make some dirt ovals)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:eng101: Fact: There is not a single person in the world who regrets picking up Stock Car Extreme.

• Locked thread