Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

:eng101: Fact: There is not a single person in the world who regrets picking up Stock Car Extreme.

They got the superkarts in yet? Thats the only thing i wanted with steam release and from what i can tell everybody forgot it was supposed to even have those so im kinda miffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Also, Neils Heusinkveld did the physics. Neils designs and makes some of the best sim gear (in my opinion), has a great youtube channel discussing really good simulator stuff, and had a hand in making some of the best rFactor mods out there (The C6 Corvette and the NSX)

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I'm not much of a sim car driver, and definitely not a real racecar driver. Don't even know how to drive a manual transmission.

But I've got my G27 and a Rift and drat is it fun to crash BMWs all over the nordschleife.

Maybe someday I won't hit 3/4 of the walls, but until then, I'll enjoy my spinning.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

inkmoth posted:

So, I'm not much of a sim car driver, and definitely not a real racecar driver. Don't even know how to drive a manual transmission.

But I've got my G27 and a Rift and drat is it fun to crash BMWs all over the nordschleife.

Maybe someday I won't hit 3/4 of the walls, but until then, I'll enjoy my spinning.

I can't play racing sims without the Rift now, it just works so well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I got an invite this morning for a Fanatec CSWv2 that I don't think I'm going to be able to use before it expires (a week from today, March 26). If anyone's interested in it let me know, I should know by the end of the day whether there's any chance of buying it myself. Of course for all I know they just sent invites to everyone.

If only they'd have released details on their XBone compatible wheels, I started playing Horizon 2 again last night so if this thing was XBone compatible I'd have been a lot more likely to make a dumb decision.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

I got an invite this morning for a Fanatec CSWv2 that I don't think I'm going to be able to use before it expires (a week from today, March 26). If anyone's interested in it let me know, I should know by the end of the day whether there's any chance of buying it myself. Of course for all I know they just sent invites to everyone.

If only they'd have released details on their XBone compatible wheels, I started playing Horizon 2 again last night so if this thing was XBone compatible I'd have been a lot more likely to make a dumb decision.

Sell your XBone and put the money towards the wheel. Duh.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

KillHour posted:

Don't do this. The forza games are a blast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I keep hearing this, but dropping $350 on a console just to play one ($60) game that needs its own ($200+) accessory is getting into serious "I could spend this money on other things" territory for me.

Also, weren't people bitching that the new Forza is a microtransaction grind-fest?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza plays exceedingly well on a gamepad. I've never once wanted a wheel because laying on a couch running laps with an F40 is fantastically satisfying.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KillHour posted:

I keep hearing this, but dropping $350 on a console just to play one ($60) game that needs its own ($200+) accessory is getting into serious "I could spend this money on other things" territory for me.

Also, weren't people bitching that the new Forza is a microtransaction grind-fest?

6 is coming this year and Horizon 2 is great (same physics, more arcade style)

I play with controller at the moment. I've been looking at wheel options. But currently I'm not super impressed with the price of the xbone wheels vs value.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

No, because this

Norns posted:

KillHour posted:

Thought the same, then I got given FM5 and Horizon 2 for Christmas. Between having those on my game rack staring me in the face and the Halo 5 beta going live at the same time I couldn't resist.

FM5 really doesn't have my attention like FM4 did so I haven't played enough to tell how bad the grind is, but Horizon 2 is really fun. The vibrating triggers on the Xbone pad really do help make gamepad play a lot more tolerable than it was on the 360.

I still wouldn't recommend buying a console for one game though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The worries about grinding were unfounded. I've never done any grinding and I've been able to buy any cars I wanted and still have 25 million in game bucks banked. Never spent a cent on a micro transaction.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Race 07, GTR Evo and GTR2 are back on Steam now.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

inkmoth posted:

My only question is that if you can't operate a manual transmission, why go for the G27 instead of a cheaper wheel? Unless you're planning to teach yourself on it, of course.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

If you're sim racing I think it's worth learning how/when to change gears, adds a lot more to the experience. I taught myself how to shift (terribly) thanks to Colin McRae style pacenotes being super intuitive. Ever since, I've wanted every game with worthwhile car physics to have a manual option, especially GTA V which notably doesn't have the option. :saddowns:

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Atomizer posted:

My only question is that if you can't operate a manual transmission, why go for the G27 instead of a cheaper wheel? Unless you're planning to teach yourself on it, of course.

What wheel is cheaper than a G27? You are going to want at least 720 degrees of steering which really limits the field.

When people say they cant operate a manual transmission in a sim do they mean they dont know when to pick what gear - or do they mean they dont know how to use the clutch?

fwiw I daily drive a manual transmission car and I hate driving manual in sims because of the clutch. Using a clutch is such a subtle effect that its hard to get the feel of it from watching your car accelerate on a screen. Then you have to deal with shifter hardware for sims which dont have any force feedback which gets rid of a lot of the instinct to revmatch.

If its the other case, not knowing what gear to pick, just practice more. You'll eventually get a feel for it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jehde posted:

If you're sim racing I think it's worth learning how/when to change gears, adds a lot more to the experience. I taught myself how to shift (terribly) thanks to Colin McRae style pacenotes being super intuitive. Ever since, I've wanted every game with worthwhile car physics to have a manual option, especially GTA V which notably doesn't have the option. :saddowns:

I agree, but I interpreted his post as meaning "I don't know how to drive a manual IRL and I don't do it in-game." He didn't mention that he was trying to learn on sims.

SanitysEdge posted:

What wheel is cheaper than a G27? You are going to want at least 720 degrees of steering which really limits the field.

When people say they cant operate a manual transmission in a sim do they mean they dont know when to pick what gear - or do they mean they dont know how to use the clutch?

fwiw I daily drive a manual transmission car and I hate driving manual in sims because of the clutch. Using a clutch is such a subtle effect that its hard to get the feel of it from watching your car accelerate on a screen. Then you have to deal with shifter hardware for sims which dont have any force feedback which gets rid of a lot of the instinct to revmatch.

If its the other case, not knowing what gear to pick, just practice more. You'll eventually get a feel for it.

The G27 is on Amazon for $234 at this moment, and there are plenty of wheels cheaper than that, either new, entry-level or used, above-entry level. Obviously if you really looked elsewhere like eBay or Craig's you could probably find even better deals. You can find a used Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel, the previous one I purchased, for about $100 and it's both decent quality and has sequential shifters (paddles and a stick.) It only has 240° of steering though. All I was saying was that the G27, while nowhere near the high-end for racing wheels, is a little overkill if you can't use the H-shifter. That basically means you can't use 1/3 of the controls that you're purchasing (the shifter, and the clutch pedal.)

As I mentioned in the last quote, I'm assuming inkmoth doesn't know how to operate a manual transmission at all (i.e. shifter, pedals, in-game, IRL.) I do think that practicing the elements in-game is a good place to start, though, even if the realism isn't all there. (It's certainly preferable to damaging an actual car.) I 100% agree with you on the unrealistic aspect of operating a manual transmission in a game versus IRL.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I do manual with auto clutch and even if I get a wheel I'll still play that way. Tactile feedback is definitely one of those reasons, although I haven't driven stick in a while.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

SanitysEdge posted:

I have a Driving Force GT which is a fair bit cheaper and has 900 degrees of steering, and has a sequential stick shift (as well as buttons on the back of the wheel that are meant to do the job of a paddle shifter). I'd argue that its the best wheel for someone that isn't sure about the sim racing thing to get; since it isn't that expensive and has very good force feedback. The only downsides are the pedals which are plastic, not that good and you only have two of them, but they aren't really a deal breaker and something that you can upgrade if you plan to stick with the sim racing thing long term... You see used G27s for a similar price to a new DFGT on eBay, but either they are from iffy sellers or after bidding they end up £60 higher and I'd personally rather have a new bit of kit than something used that you can't try before you buy.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The FFB on the G27 is better than the DFGT, but not enough to warrant an upgrade unless you want clutch/h-shifter.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

IceAgeComing posted:

I have a Driving Force GT which is a fair bit cheaper and has 900 degrees of steering, and has a sequential stick shift (as well as buttons on the back of the wheel that are meant to do the job of a paddle shifter). I'd argue that its the best wheel for someone that isn't sure about the sim racing thing to get; since it isn't that expensive and has very good force feedback. The only downsides are the pedals which are plastic, not that good and you only have two of them, but they aren't really a deal breaker and something that you can upgrade if you plan to stick with the sim racing thing long term... You see used G27s for a similar price to a new DFGT on eBay, but either they are from iffy sellers or after bidding they end up £60 higher and I'd personally rather have a new bit of kit than something used that you can't try before you buy.

Looking on Amazon new G27s are only about $10 more expensive than new DFGTs right now (assuming I'm looking at the right listings). The price is back up now, but I got my G27 a couple of weeks ago for $200 new on Newegg. It's been on my Amazon wishlist for a couple of years and it seems to drop to $200 new there a few times a year as well.

That price was low enough to convince me to jump on it even though I wasn't sure if I actually liked sim racing or not yet (my backup plan was to use it for Euro Truck or box it back up and give it to my brother for his birthday since he's wanted one for a while now). Turns out with a decent wheel, shifter, and pedals racing sims are super fun! I'm still learning the basics and am a super lovely rookie in iRacing, but I'm having an absolute blast.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I agree, but I interpreted his post as meaning "I don't know how to drive a manual IRL and I don't do it in-game." He didn't mention that he was trying to learn on sims.

The G27 is on Amazon for $234 at this moment, and there are plenty of wheels cheaper than that, either new, entry-level or used, above-entry level. Obviously if you really looked elsewhere like eBay or Craig's you could probably find even better deals. You can find a used Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel, the previous one I purchased, for about $100 and it's both decent quality and has sequential shifters (paddles and a stick.) It only has 240° of steering though. All I was saying was that the G27, while nowhere near the high-end for racing wheels, is a little overkill if you can't use the H-shifter. That basically means you can't use 1/3 of the controls that you're purchasing (the shifter, and the clutch pedal.)

I started on a MOMO Force, while having decent FFB motors, it just doesnt have the rotation for anything other than open-wheel cars. It was a revelation when I first tried a realistic steering ratio on a street car in live for speed with the MOMO. If you catch the sim racing bug then you will quickly need to upgrade from it. Looking back a DFGT would have been a better start - but I dont know if I ever would have upgraded to a Fanatec setup, which I did and dont regret.

Maybe if you are more interested in open-wheel cars the MOMO force is a fine start. If you are more interested in street cars the DFGT is a better start.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 21, 2015

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

SanitysEdge posted:

I started on a MOMO Force, while having decent FFB motors, it just doesnt have the rotation for anything other than open-wheel cars. It was a revelation when I first tried a realistic steering ratio on a street car in live for speed with the MOMO. If you catch the sim racing bug then you will quickly need to upgrade from it.

That's also why I went for the G27 - if it turned out I liked sim racing I didn't want to spent $100 on a lower-end wheel only to wish I had invested in something better later. For me the G27 was the sweet spot where I felt I'd be content with it because the next incremental upgrade was hundreds of dollars more, not $50-60 dollars more. Plus I got the wheel partially with the intent to play driving games with a Rift/Vive when the first consumer versions come out. Having a setup with all 3 pedals, a real H-Shifter, and paddle shifters is something I think would be important in VR. I figure the less abstractions between me and the sim, the better the VR experience will be.

Even without VR, it's a hell of a lot of fun slapping the shifter around in iRacing and Euro Truck Sim 2, and the fact that I use an h-shifter most of the time makes using paddle shifters on high-performance cars that much more exhilarating. After spending a few dozen hours with the Mazda MX-5's h-shift, taking the CTS-V off down a straight is a little terrifying.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Looking on Amazon new G27s are only about $10 more expensive than new DFGTs right now (assuming I'm looking at the right listings). The price is back up now, but I got my G27 a couple of weeks ago for $200 new on Newegg. It's been on my Amazon wishlist for a couple of years and it seems to drop to $200 new there a few times a year as well.

That price was low enough to convince me to jump on it even though I wasn't sure if I actually liked sim racing or not yet (my backup plan was to use it for Euro Truck or box it back up and give it to my brother for his birthday since he's wanted one for a while now). Turns out with a decent wheel, shifter, and pedals racing sims are super fun! I'm still learning the basics and am a super lovely rookie in iRacing, but I'm having an absolute blast.

I'm a UK guy, and when I looked up prices there was a big difference (I think £60, could be wrong)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

An AC mod of the Isle of Man circuit showed up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hGccLF7Z8

Seems to be a conversion of an rFactor mod for the short circuit.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's cool because there hasn;t been an update on the targa conversion for a while :-/

advion
Jul 25, 2005

wolrah posted:

You can renew it for a week at a time under My Account-Invites on their website.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Well, regarding my choice of the G27- I knew about it, and it had good reviews. Choice was made that simply :P

Edit: it was also on sale

As for not knowing how to drive manual, I've never tried / learned on a real car. Occasionally I use the h shifter (without cluctch for now), but recently I've taken a step back on that to the paddleshifters on the wheel until I get better at determining what gear I should actually be in.

But yeah, even if I can't use the real manual features now, I enjoy having them there. Some of my friends can drive real manuals, so they enjoy using them from time to time, and someday I might learn how to use them too.

At least in the short run it provides a great amount of excitement when I accidentally step on the clutch when I'm expecting brakes.

inkmoth fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 22, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I really wish there was a place I can physically try out a G27, I have a MOMO that's loud as hell and my Fanatec GT2 is having troubles. Is the G27 gear driven? Is it loud and chatty?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ringo Star Get posted:

I really wish there was a place I can physically try out a G27, I have a MOMO that's loud as hell and my Fanatec GT2 is having troubles. Is the G27 gear driven? Is it loud and chatty?

It's louder than a GT2, it is gear driven. If you're used to a Fanatec it's a step down in quality. It's not a bad wheel by any means, but getting the GT2 repaired would probably be cheaper than a G27 and you'd be a lot happier.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't go from belt driven to gear driven, you'll regret it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like my g27, but the you can feel the teeth on the gears at times. And it can get loud at times.

I'm looking at belt driven wheels.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I have a g27 and it's been loud as gently caress since day one.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I've never had issues with how loud the G27 is.

Then again, it IS a fuckload quieter than the DFGT. The difference helical gears make.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

SanitysEdge posted:

Yeah I got excited when I first got my G27 because it was my first wheel with a clutch pedal. Turns out it's basically just a "hit this before changing gear" switch. You can't feel the car jerk so you can't really revmatch, you can't stall the car, and if you screw up the shift you just stay in the previous gear instead of grinding and going into neutral. I'd say it's impossible to learn how to drive a real manual from a sim unless you're just talking about getting used to the concept of choosing your gear.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It's odd that you say that. I've taught two people with my G25.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Yeah in AC you can just shove it in gear then quickly let go of the gas and get back on it once the revs match - probably a little slower than using the clutch to get gearbox and engine matched up, but it's far from the consequences of doing that poo poo (repeatedly) in a real car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hikaki posted:

Yeah I got excited when I first got my G27 because it was my first wheel with a clutch pedal. Turns out it's basically just a "hit this before changing gear" switch. You can't feel the car jerk so you can't really revmatch, you can't stall the car, and if you screw up the shift you just stay in the previous gear instead of grinding and going into neutral. I'd say it's impossible to learn how to drive a real manual from a sim unless you're just talking about getting used to the concept of choosing your gear.

Rfactor 2 actually emulates it pretty well actually.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Same with Live For Speed.

Even lets you burn out the clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

inkmoth posted:

Well, regarding my choice of the G27- I knew about it, and it had good reviews. Choice was made that simply :P

Edit: it was also on sale

As for not knowing how to drive manual, I've never tried / learned on a real car. Occasionally I use the h shifter (without cluctch for now), but recently I've taken a step back on that to the paddleshifters on the wheel until I get better at determining what gear I should actually be in.

But yeah, even if I can't use the real manual features now, I enjoy having them there. Some of my friends can drive real manuals, so they enjoy using them from time to time, and someday I might learn how to use them too.

At least in the short run it provides a great amount of excitement when I accidentally step on the clutch when I'm expecting brakes.

To be honest, I also bought the G27 when it was on sale. I had it in my Amazon wish list for a few years before that! :eyepop:

As far as being in the correct gear is concerned, you basically use lower gears to accelerate, higher gears to cruise & conserve fuel. You start in 1st and shift up when you get moving, then shift up & down as needed. You don't shift all the way back down into 1st until you've reached a complete stop, though. That's the simple part; actually getting your hands & feet to coordinate, especially in a real car, are what you have to master.

Regarding the G27 being noisy, do you guys not play with audio on? I mean if you have speakers you should have them turned up loud enough to actually hear the game (rather than the wheel.) If you use a headset like I do, it should be a non-issue. Related, I highly recommend the Astro A50! It's a steal, especially compared to what some of you guys spend on your racing setups! (And you can get it for $200 or less on Amazon, refurbished.)

• Locked thread