Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Atomizer posted:

Regarding the G27 being noisy, do you guys not play with audio on? I mean if you have speakers you should have them turned up loud enough to actually hear the game (rather than the wheel.) If you use a headset like I do, it should be a non-issue. Related, I highly recommend the Astro A50! It's a steal, especially compared to what some of you guys spend on your racing setups! (And you can get it for $200 or less on Amazon, refurbished.)

drat, that's a lot for a headset. I've got some decent cans for music, but nothing like that for my sim rig. In order to truly take advantage of a decent set of headphones over the noise of a gear-driven wheel, you would need to crank them pretty high, and I already have tinnitus from playing next to enthusiastic drummers through high school and college. I'm running some old Sony desktop speakers that I've had for over a decade, powered by a cheapass Lepai 2ch amp, for ambient and car noise from the sim. Voice is routed through a $10 Logitech headset. Crappy voice quality is fine, as you don't get good quality through typical race radios. And as long as the audio model sounds like it currently does for sims (I'm looking at you, iRacing Miata and Star Mazda) you're not really going to benefit from fancy flat-response drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Well I made the mistake of mentioning I was after a non dogshit racing wheel last time I was at Gamestop, then the fuckers go and order a T300RS which they knew I couldn't resist. drat nice wheel, had to do the start+select+mode to properly center but other than that it worked out of the box. The force feedback is too brutal for my computer desk now I need a goddamn cockpit.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

drat, that's a lot for a headset. I've got some decent cans for music, but nothing like that for my sim rig. In order to truly take advantage of a decent set of headphones over the noise of a gear-driven wheel, you would need to crank them pretty high, and I already have tinnitus from playing next to enthusiastic drummers through high school and college. I'm running some old Sony desktop speakers that I've had for over a decade, powered by a cheapass Lepai 2ch amp, for ambient and car noise from the sim. Voice is routed through a $10 Logitech headset. Crappy voice quality is fine, as you don't get good quality through typical race radios. And as long as the audio model sounds like it currently does for sims (I'm looking at you, iRacing Miata and Star Mazda) you're not really going to benefit from fancy flat-response drivers.

Well, it's not a cheap headset, but it's very nice for the money, especially refurbished (which mine is, and I received it in indistinguishable-from-new condition.) They sound great, and you don't have to crank them up high; being wireless is also a plus. Like you alluded to, you can spend way more on headphones, although that typically refers to audiophile equipment. Also, keep in mind the dude who posted right above me linked a $400 wheel, so like I said, the headset isn't really that much compared to the other racing gear I know a lot of you in this thread have. Plus, the headset is useful outside of sims, unlike the rest of the racing equipment. The A50s sound great when listening to music, for example, not to mention any other games.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Enjoy your latency.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

GutBomb posted:

Rfactor 2 actually emulates it pretty well actually.

Ziploc posted:

Same with Live For Speed.

Even lets you burn out the clutch.

I've have to give those a go. I've only tried GT5/6, AC, and iRacing and they all felt like switches to me, or maybe it was too hard for me to get a feel for it just from sight.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Unfortunately a ripped model from F*rza, but this supra is really fun: https://mega.co.nz/#!j5M2GQ7K!PKh41nvaWDj8ewfIfhuoQq3WBrvpNO5iFimdcA2Q_H8

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A factor to keep in mind with a quieter wheel is that if you live with other people they will very much appreciate a wheel that doesn't constantly make annoying knocking sounds.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im pretty excited about building an Oculus setup for a racing sim. Probably going to throw down the cash for a system, cockpit and headset once the consumer version is out.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Put some serious time into the T300RS, my first exposure to wheels made this century. It still doesn't feel anything resembling natural and I'm a bit disappointed the belt drive isn't smoother but it's still a blast to use. The steering feel is akin to a car with a failing PS pump which makes smooth countersteering a bit tricky. Been utterly dominating pseudo sims like Gran Turismo 6 and can finally get around the track consistently in everything else. The metal sprung shift paddles feel legit, probably my favorite aspect of the package. The pedals aren't as godawful as they appear which is an unexpected bonus. It's also nice that it doesn't sound like a chattering plastic orgy like my old Sidewinder FFB.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 25, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

osker posted:

Enjoy your latency.

Not an issue with the Astros.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Thrustmaster tx, Thrustmaster TH8A shifter and Fanatec CSR Elite pedals is a perfect combination. I just did some laps in AC with it and I'm so glad to be back with a wheel after a few months of trying with a controller.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Codemasters announced F1 2015 for a June release. I have decent hopes it'll be a good, focuses, and fun F1 sim.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

holocaust bloopers posted:

Codemasters announced F1 2015 for a June release. I have decent hopes it'll be a good, focuses, and fun F1 sim.

if that happens, i shall be incredibly surprised

the last licenced F1 game that could be called a "sim" was F1 Challenge, and that is over ten years old. it might be an alright game, but honestly the closest thing you'll get is the incredibly good Formula EXTREME!!! car in Game Stock Car; its not perfect (simulates DRS properly, I don't know how it handles ERS) and you don't have like two real F1 venues (Interlagos and the Red Bull Ring) but the driving model feels really good.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

B-b-but Dirt 4. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The closest you'll get to F1 sim anytime soon is when iRacing releases the Mclaren. Hopefully modified so that it works.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
So, what are people's best times in AC for the Yellow Bird on the Nordschleife?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So, what are people's best times in AC for the Yellow Bird on the Nordschleife?

Instead of minutes how about I express it in the number of hairs I've pulled out of my head while trying.

I'm bald now.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

GutBomb posted:

Instead of minutes how about I express it in the number of hairs I've pulled out of my head while trying.

I'm bald now.

Haha yeah, it's fun, isn't it? A mate and I are trying to get good hot lapping times but we make it somewhat enjoyable by turning penalties off. It's pretty rare that leaving the track results in GAINING time.

We allow ABS but no other assists. 22°C ambient, 10am, optimal track conditions.

My best so far is 8:14.207.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NCIX has the Logtech G27 for $166 plus free shipping. At that point, even I bought the goddamn thing. I've been waffling over a wheel setup for about a year now.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=45959&vpn=941-000045&manufacture=Logitech&promoid=1202

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you do "check stock" it says they have 0 on hand.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

GutBomb posted:

If you do "check stock" it says they have 0 on hand.

"You've successfully placed your order with NCIX.com" Here's hoping :backtowork:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

"You've successfully placed your order with NCIX.com" Here's hoping :backtowork:

Same, though maybe I should have gone free shipping if I need to wait...

Haven't had a racing wheel since an old sidewinder around 15 years ago.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Fanatec have.. not so much shot themselves in the foot, moreso blown off their own face. Citing EUR/USD exchange rate issues, the prices in Europe have increased:

CSW V2 €699 "on sale from €750"
Clubsport Pedals V2 €360
Shifter €199
Porsche rim for CSW €499

And so on. I think I will stick with my CSW V1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That is kind of dumb seeing as the Euro and the Dollar are only 8-9 cents away. Maybe there's a bunch more taxes that go into the price in Europe.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Cojawfee posted:

That is kind of dumb seeing as the Euro and the Dollar are only 8-9 cents away. Maybe there's a bunch more taxes that go into the price in Europe.

They tax people up the rear end in Europe, especially in Sweden. 30% tax on everything and that is on top of the added fee of importing products. So whenever something is announced and people in media say it is reasonably priced, you can bet they will at least bump up the price by 30-40% in Sweden.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Torabi posted:

They tax people up the rear end in Europe, especially in Sweden. 30% tax on everything and that is on top of the added fee of importing products. So whenever something is announced and people in media say it is reasonably priced, you can bet they will at least bump up the price by 30-40% in Sweden.

Actually, contrary to the popular myth, our taxes aren't that high.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Tippis posted:

Actually, contrary to the popular myth, our taxes aren't that high.

I'm in Sweden too, and it sure seems like that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I lived in Sweden (2000-2002) Swedes would mention in a boasting kind of way that they had the highest tax rate in Europe. They then followed up with information that they also have the highest suicide rate.

I don't know if the highest tax rate thing is true but I did notice that government buildings, hospitals, doctors offices, and other public facilities were very well kept and much nicer looking than anything here in the US. Well staffed with competent and friendly people. Pretty much the exact opposite of going to an American facility like the DMV.

Even though taxes are high it appears that everyone lives well anyway and the kind of poor people we have in the US (people who struggle to feed their families while working 3 jobs and living in the ghetto) just don't exist there. There are still people who hold a fear of people abusing the welfare benefits system but it's not as vitriolic as it is here, and abuse is definitely not widespread (it isn't here either, it's a fear not based in reality)

I plan to move back someday when I retire. Lagom.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 29, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

When I lived in Sweden (2000-2002) Swedes would mention in a boasting kind of way that they had the highest tax rate in Europe. They then followed up with information that they also have the highest suicide rate.

:mrgw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Sweden actually has a very low suicide rate compared to the rest of Europe. Their taxes are high, but they make way more money on average.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure Sweden actually has a very low suicide rate compared to the rest of Europe. Their taxes are high, but they make way more money on average.

Watch some Swedish movies sometime.

Also I think the suicide thing has to do with the nature of a dark winter up north.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Watch some Swedish movies sometime.

Also I think the suicide thing has to do with the nature of a dark winter up north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Sweden's kind of middle-of-the-road. Greenland's the one with stupid-high suicide rates.

quote:

Suicide is a significant national social issue in Greenland. According to government reports, 1 in every 5 people (according to some research, 1 in every 4 people) in Greenland attempts to kill themselves at some point in their lifetimes.

:stare:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Torabi posted:

I'm in Sweden too, and it sure seems like that.

Well, yes, but you know what they say about the difference between perception and reality (outside of politics, at least). :D
If you go to Skatteverket and look at the list, you'll see that quite a lot of the basic every-day goods sit in the 12% VAT bracket — some of it is even in the 6% bracket. Of course, since this is the government we're talking about, most of the fun stuff gets the full 25%.

And yeah, import tariffs and fees will happily increase the price something fierce on certain goods.

Still, using 10:1 as the BigMac index for most tech goods usually works out well, I feel, at least against the USD.

KillHour posted:

We're about average, and just below the US as an external point of comparison. Of course, Europe itself is a particularly bad sample since there is a fairly distinct east-west divide — western Europe generally sits somewhere around 10 per 100k/year, whereas the east generally sees twice that number.

It's basically something of a myth perpetuated in part by a deep confusion about which Nordic country is which (Finland is slightly ahead of the rest, edging more towards the “eastern” segment), and in part by how a lot of anthropological “common knowledge” lags something like 50 years behind reality (basically, what you “know” was true(ish) back when your high-school social science teach took his first university year and picked up some almost-up-to-date stats, and no-one is particularly interested in updating that world-view because it's not a story that makes good headlines).

Hmm… the only thing even remotely on topic is how this conversation seems to have gone off course. So aaaaanyway… :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
One of the weirdest derails I've seen on these forums.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

One of the weirdest derails I've seen on these forums.

No no no. This is crucial information for anyone making a Rally sim. It wouldn't be properly sim-realistic without the special stage hazards in the Swedish and Finnish events: grumpy spectators attempting suicide because they're over-taxed and have been denied their life-saving coffee.

Yup, yup, yup.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Tippis posted:

No no no. This is crucial information for anyone making a Rally sim. It wouldn't be properly sim-realistic without the special stage hazards in the Swedish and Finnish events: grumpy spectators attempting suicide because they're over-taxed and have been denied their life-saving coffee.

Yup, yup, yup.

This does raise one legitimate question, is anybody anywhere actually making a loving rally sim? I think the world has gotten more than enough mileage out of RBR and DiRT is just a waste of everyone's time.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 30, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v69L12Lg0NE

This was posted awhile ago, and nothing since. :negative:

RSRBR is legit great once you take the time to set it up. The NGP mod cars own.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUzeWkKWDzE

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 30, 2015

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Jehde posted:

This was posted awhile ago, and nothing since. :negative:

quote:

The good news is that the project is more than alive and running. The problem is that it's running too fast and the things that we're adding, revising, recoding are so many that we've not reached yet the moment in which we say "ok, now let's see what the other think about gRally."

http://dev.grally.net/2015/03/11/status-of-development/

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Phuzun posted:

Same, though maybe I should have gone free shipping if I need to wait...

Haven't had a racing wheel since an old sidewinder around 15 years ago.

Got my shipping number. Will probably need to build up a 2x4 stand this weekend, as this desk isn't likely to handle the FFB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phuzun posted:

Got my shipping number. Will probably need to build up a 2x4 stand this weekend, as this desk isn't likely to handle the FFB.

Unless it's a tv tray it should be fine. I shook the desk more with shifting than the wheel did with its force feedback. I used a flimsy Ikea deal before I got the wheel stand pro (which I use in front of the sofa now)

I had a playseat before but I got married...

• Locked thread