Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

jonathan posted:

Is there somewhere I can read up on AC mods ? I don't have any dlc just the minimum purchase.

Check out this Ferrari F1 car:

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ferrari-f2002.8703/

It was made by a team that had access to lots of data about the car and it drives so well.

You can install the mod by downloading the file, unzipping and placing the "ferrari_f2002" folder into the following directory:

\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars

That's all you need to get the car in there. Next time you start up, you should find the car in the Ferrari directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

jonathan posted:

Is there somewhere I can read up on AC mods ? I don't have any dlc just the minimum purchase.

I've gotten pretty picky with AC mods, so I don't have that many installed any more (and practically no conversion tracks).

The must haves for me are:

- Bridgehampton
- Longford

- Peugeot 504
- Ferrari F2002
- Caterham
- Mazda 787B
- Shelby Cobra (more variants from the dude that made the official one)

Maybes:

- Barbagallo
- Grobnik
- Baskerville
- Mills Metropark

- Abarth TC1000
- Corvette C6R
- Mazda MX-5
- RSR Formula 3
- Formula Renault 3.5
- Renault 5 GT Turbo (worth a look, but not quite there yet imo)
- Ford Sierra RS500
- 1990 Vauxhall Cavalier (people seem to like it, I don't like the FFB)
- Ferrari 288 (several variants, another one where I don't like the FFB)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

GhostDog posted:

I've gotten pretty picky with AC mods, so I don't have that many installed any more (and practically no conversion tracks).

The must haves for me are:

- Bridgehampton
- Longford

- Peugeot 504
- Ferrari F2002
- Caterham
- Mazda 787B
- Shelby Cobra (more variants from the dude that made the official one)

Maybes:

- Barbagallo
- Grobnik
- Baskerville
- Mills Metropark

- Abarth TC1000
- Corvette C6R
- Mazda MX-5
- RSR Formula 3
- Formula Renault 3.5
- Renault 5 GT Turbo (worth a look, but not quite there yet imo)
- Ford Sierra RS500
- 1990 Vauxhall Cavalier (people seem to like it, I don't like the FFB)
- Ferrari 288 (several variants, another one where I don't like the FFB)

A very good and new Bathurst came out not long ago and its very, very good.
http://acmods.net/tracks/bathurst/

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I invested 5 euros per month to test out the Assetto Corsa server with Rackservice.

I made a thread in the Private Game Servers subforum with details.

Server is currently set to a looping 4 hour practice session at Bridgehampton. Would you kindly check if you can log on and how the pings are.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Got in, ping was a consistent 164-170 the whole time for me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks. You're US? The servers are hosted in Germany I think, I had around 30. 160 should still be fine though, when I hosted from home we had people with 190 and it didn't seem much of a problem.

That car is a handful on that track.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I haven't had any network issues in the races so far. I hopped on the server and was getting around 150 (from the middle of the US) and it seemed fine.

Bridgehampton is such a cool track.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Yeah, I'm southern US, forgot to mention. When I did see you on the track there was no warping or anything odd. I will definitely have to practice that car a ton on that track since I only pulled off a few clean laps.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the server. I am getting a 175 ping from Ohio for what it is worth.

This race feels like it will be a shitshow unless people actually practice the Lotus on that track beforehand. I might be a poo poo driver (I am) but I couldn't get a full clean lap in like 30 minutes of practice on an empty server. Do you have a setup that might help?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Goetta posted:

This race feels like it will be a shitshow unless people actually practice the Lotus on that track beforehand. I might be a poo poo driver (I am) but I couldn't get a full clean lap in like 30 minutes of practice on an empty server. Do you have a setup that might help?

Yeah it's a rather difficult combination, and easy to overdrive the poo poo out of. But you just gotta love coming down the long straight, sending a prayer to the gods of grip and dipping into those blind sweepers holding on for dear life.

If the overall sentiment is that this is too difficult, we can change.

I checked again, and the server location is indeed Germany. The other location they have available is Kansas. For now I'm gonna keep my home advantage, but if the vast majority of pings I see in races are US (so ~150 I guess) I may email them to see if it's possible to switch locations (don't see why it wouldn't).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

What kind of stuff do you want to read about? If it's recommended mods then just go to Race Department's download section, find the AC Cars and AC Tracks sections then just download all the top rated stuff that looks interesting.

Yeah basically, Ok so race department is the central hub for mod distribution ?

Edit: oops, a full page of replies. Thanks for the info. If I want to play online with you chaps should I invest in the DLC also or is the free mods usually good enough ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 27, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You should grab the DLC because a lot of the cars and tracks in them are really good. Also the Lotus 49 is a DLC Car. RD is the main mod hub these days but also check the official forums occasionally because a lot of stuff gets posted there but not on RD.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

jonathan posted:

If I want to play online with you chaps should I invest in the DLC also or is the free mods usually good enough ?

I'm currently trying to avoid DLC2 and DLC3, but DLC1 has the DTM cars as well as the Nordschleife, I consider that a required purchase.

Barcelona and Brands Hatch are cool tracks though and even with the large modding scene the number of tracks done to official quality can still be counted on one hand so I would recommend getting all the DLC pretty much, at least when they are one sale.

Edit:

njsykora posted:

Also the Lotus 49 is a DLC Car.

The Lotus 25 is DLC, the Lotus 49 is base game.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 27, 2016

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

njsykora posted:

You should grab the DLC because a lot of the cars and tracks in them are really good. Also the Lotus 49 is a DLC Car. RD is the main mod hub these days but also check the official forums occasionally because a lot of stuff gets posted there but not on RD.

The lotus 72 and 29 are from dream pack 3. The Lotus 49 comes with the base game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The dream packs are worth it. And I like giving Kunos money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am massively confusing old Lotus F1 cars. Though still get DP1 because the 49 at the Nordschleife is huge fun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oh god I massively underestimated the 49 on Bridgehampton, way too easy to lose grip on that track. Also I connect from west coast North America and haven't had any issues with latency, for what it's worth.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
After another practice I'm going to throw a vote in for switching either the car or track. Both are really cool but the combo is loving rough.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I kinda would like to finish a goonrace for once.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
On the other hand I should stop being such a bitch rear end and get better

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I purchased all the DLC for A/C and some of the mods mentioned above.

Why is controlling oversteer so tough in these sims ? I've autocrossed and time attacked a 350rwhp 2500lb mustang with poo poo H-rated kumho directionals and as long as you're quick to correct and don't chop the throttle you could keep it inline (usually). In this game and iracing, once the rear end steps out a counter steer just doesn't seem to solve it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

hard = realistic

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jehde posted:

hard = realistic

I guess. Maybe I just haven't had enough seat time to use visual and FFB clues to sense over/understeer

On a side note, I'm running 1:44 times with the lotus on bridgehampton in that gooncar server. Don't really have the track memorized yet, but is that a decent enough time to play with the rest of you ?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

jonathan posted:

I guess. Maybe I just haven't had enough seat time to use visual and FFB clues to sense over/understeer

On a side note, I'm running 1:44 times with the lotus on bridgehampton in that gooncar server. Don't really have the track memorized yet, but is that a decent enough time to play with the rest of you ?

it doesn't matter how fast you are; feel free to join in :)

hell i've done enough gooncar races where ive been pootling around at the back five seconds a lap slower than everyone else

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
We can do another car that's a bit easier considering the track itself is rather difficult.

I put it to vote:

a) Alfa GTA
b) Formula Abarth

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I bought AC last week as well as a G29, but drat I find it hard staying on the track (playing on pro mode). Does anyone have any tips beyond practicing racing lines and such? I'm starting to get the hang of driving Silverstone, but then I noticed that changing the tire type has a pretty big effect in terms of grip. Whats the best way to learn how to tune a car for a given track?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Other than decades of experience racing and tuning cars? :v:

Tuning is a massive subject and takes a long time to develop a working knowledge. For a crash course I'd say you dedicate a couple hours to dicking around with the numbers, load the default setup, and set something to its minimum value and drive a couple laps. Then set it to its maximum value and drive a couple more laps, see if you can pick out what changed.

Of course that still only starts to scratch things because changing one setting will impact how some other setting influences the car.

If you really want to sperg out, find a copy of Tune to Win and read it, it should help you develop some context.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

don't bother with setup until you've learned the track and car, setup changes only really help if you're able to be consistent and if you can't keep it on the track. Perhaps try running softer tyres since that'd give you

Honestly its all about practice, the more you run the more consistent you'll get. What I normally do if I'm trying to get used to a car/track combo is spend a couple of laps running very slowly just to learn the track and car dynamics before working myself up to full speed. If you're spinning or running wide every lap then you're trying to go too fast, you need to bring your speed down and be more careful on the throttle

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Start slow when getting used to a new wheel/track/car.

Try starting with tracks you know. I can do monza with my eyes closed so in always test new poo poo there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Laguna is mine.. if I can feel comfortable in a car there, it should be decent everywhere else.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Same. Laguna is a great all around track for tuning plus it's loving fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least until you're trying to pass someone.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

lol if you don't make all your passes in the corkscrew

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, drive. Alot. Don't touch the setup, just use a baseline or something and just lap and lap until you're completely solid. You've literally got tens or hunderds of hours ahead of you before you really want to be fiddling with anything. Eventually you can read enough and fiddle at the edges to learn what things do and what you want. Every game is different. iRacing would be the closest to actual analog with real cars, I find it frustrating investing time into something made up just for a specific game.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Silverstone is a hard track to learn. It's very flat and tough to judge distance to braking and turn in points. Maybe with vr it'll improve.

yuza
Apr 26, 2007
Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress I practised for nothing. Then again it felt good being able to keep the 49 on track (sometimes) for several consecutive laps. My vote goes to whichever non-dlc car on whichever non-dlc track. I'm okay with 49 and Bridgehampton, too.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lets just do the 49

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone tried a Wheel Stand Pro? http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

It looks like it might be real nice to have my wheel setup always ready to go instead of having to clamp it to my desk every time I want to run a few laps. Just wondering if anyone has used one and how well it works.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Goetta posted:

Lets just do the 49

You know what?

You're right. Let's just do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

AnimalChin posted:

Anyone tried a Wheel Stand Pro? http://wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

It looks like it might be real nice to have my wheel setup always ready to go instead of having to clamp it to my desk every time I want to run a few laps. Just wondering if anyone has used one and how well it works.

People were pretty positive about earlier in the thread, based on which I added it to the upcoming new OP.

• Locked thread