Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I know everyone's raving about asseto corsa and someone actually laser scanning the Nurburgring but in between sections of writing my dissertation I've been messing with Game Stock Car Extreme and its honestly some of the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially the karts: I was always a little cynical about whether something that small and powerless would be worth sim driving but my God its fun. Even the gutless rental karts are really fun. I think a lot of it is because of the fact they are so positive and you can feel where the limit is and when you've gone over it. Its actually helping me get reaccustomed to sim racing a bit; they are perfect for someone who is just getting into the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

SanitysEdge posted:

What wheel is cheaper than a G27? You are going to want at least 720 degrees of steering which really limits the field.

I have a Driving Force GT which is a fair bit cheaper and has 900 degrees of steering, and has a sequential stick shift (as well as buttons on the back of the wheel that are meant to do the job of a paddle shifter). I'd argue that its the best wheel for someone that isn't sure about the sim racing thing to get; since it isn't that expensive and has very good force feedback. The only downsides are the pedals which are plastic, not that good and you only have two of them, but they aren't really a deal breaker and something that you can upgrade if you plan to stick with the sim racing thing long term... You see used G27s for a similar price to a new DFGT on eBay, but either they are from iffy sellers or after bidding they end up £60 higher and I'd personally rather have a new bit of kit than something used that you can't try before you buy.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Looking on Amazon new G27s are only about $10 more expensive than new DFGTs right now (assuming I'm looking at the right listings). The price is back up now, but I got my G27 a couple of weeks ago for $200 new on Newegg. It's been on my Amazon wishlist for a couple of years and it seems to drop to $200 new there a few times a year as well.

That price was low enough to convince me to jump on it even though I wasn't sure if I actually liked sim racing or not yet (my backup plan was to use it for Euro Truck or box it back up and give it to my brother for his birthday since he's wanted one for a while now). Turns out with a decent wheel, shifter, and pedals racing sims are super fun! I'm still learning the basics and am a super lovely rookie in iRacing, but I'm having an absolute blast.

I'm a UK guy, and when I looked up prices there was a big difference (I think £60, could be wrong)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

Codemasters announced F1 2015 for a June release. I have decent hopes it'll be a good, focuses, and fun F1 sim.

if that happens, i shall be incredibly surprised

the last licenced F1 game that could be called a "sim" was F1 Challenge, and that is over ten years old. it might be an alright game, but honestly the closest thing you'll get is the incredibly good Formula EXTREME!!! car in Game Stock Car; its not perfect (simulates DRS properly, I don't know how it handles ERS) and you don't have like two real F1 venues (Interlagos and the Red Bull Ring) but the driving model feels really good.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

How long are the stages in this thing?

The only kinda bad bit of RBR is that you didn't have at least one ridiculously long stage that would feel like an achivement to get through unscathed at any speed. I had a rally game when I was a kid (Mobil 1 Rally Championship I think?) that had stages that could last 25 minutes, and although that may be a little extreme its surprisingly fun to do, especially if you are a bad driver like I am and end up with only third and fourth gears half-way through said stage... My memory of Dirt 3 was that it seemed like it had promise but most of the stages were less than two minutes long, which kind of goes against the spirit of rallying a bit

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

well i think i know what i'll be buying when my finals are done

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

my setup is a driving force gt clamped to some lovely ikea desk, with some 13 year old Dell monitor as the display

I am obviously a poor student

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

What wheel rotation are you guys using for dirt rally? I just bought it and I've not quite found a perfect one yet - I've tried 540 and it feels like I have too much rotation but also it doesn't feel precise enough which has stumped me a bit...

All sims should do what iracing does and control the wheel rotation within software, meaning that you can set it at 900 degrees or whatever in the driver software and leave it there forever with the sim dynamically changing it depending on whatever car you are driving. Would make it miles easier to set up and also mean that you don't have to reconfigure everything when you decide to switch sim...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Are either Assetto Corsa or Project Cars likely to be a Daily/Flash deal in the Steam sale? Want to try one of them but I don't want to waste money on getting them now and then them going down to 50% off the next day...

Also what would be the recommended one to go for?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Torabi posted:

What is soft lock even supposed to do in Dirt Rally? They make it sound like the game automatically reduces your wheels rotation based on the car. So I don't have to do it manually. But it doesn't do anything when I enable it and drive a car that has <900 degrees rotation. I managed to drive the 2010 mini and it is a lot of fun when I lock my wheel to the right degrees. But anything else is undrivable for me, even cars with 900 degrees are impossible to control. What gives?

lots of the cars have really large rotation degrees so you probably won't feel it - the Fiat has 1080 degrees lock to lock which is more than most wheels support

e: I got that through the blog post about the new FFB, just thought I'd clarify

Just finished my first stage with the new FFB in the Fiesta: hosed up by engine, got a rear right puncture and lost the rear brakes and managed to finish tenth of 16 against the easiest AI. A+ top rally sim. Based on my amateur knowledge, the Sweet Lamb stadium section is accurate, which is nice!

The one minor FFB thing that I've noticed post-patch is that there's no FFB response to turning the wheel when you are stopped, which might just be an ease of use thing. Other than that it feels pretty accurate, to someone who's never driven a rally car before.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 18, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Right, I used the Steam sale to get myself both Project Cars and Assetto Corsa in the Steam sale which the intention of keeping one and misusing Steam's new refund policy (thanks EU!) to ask for my money back on the other one. All I wanted was a nice little fun game with good AI that I could boot into quickly for offline races against the AI without needing to mess around with wheel settings and the like, but to be honest neither impresses me for that. AC doesn't need to run as smoothly (which makes no sense) but I personally prefer the quality over quantity policy for tracks, and the version of the Nurburgring is really good and really fun to mess around on, while the car selection in project cars is better IMO (I'm a single seater person although I had a pressing urge for a good sports car sim during Le Mans) although I'd imagine that they'll be less accurate. AC feels better; and I'm struggling to find a FFB setup in pC that doesn't feel like its clipping...

The real problem is that the AI on both really, really loving sucks. My impression from a few races are that the AI in both have a real aversion to actually pass me - in Project Cars I forgot to untick the multiclass option while doing the Formula Ford equivalent at Calder Park, but I still managed to beat a bunch of Formula A cars because they refused to go anywhere near me which was a little annoying. That might be a fault of me setting the thing up, but I'm not sure. Honestly at this point I'm thinking of waiting until the next Steam sale for them to be updated and thinking again because as they are I can't see myself playing either of them... Have I made a mistake in configuration, or are these problems similar to those of other people?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

lol at the people spending $1,000 on a toy racing wheel and getting into internet bitchfights about it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

its a codemasters game that isn't DIRT Rally, its not going to be a sim

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Admittedly I was skeptical about DIRT Rally when I first heard of that; perhaps things will be different to normal

I would be very surprised though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I just through Reiza a few quid; I really like SCE and if throwing them some cash improves their game then that's good. They have all the things that I especially want already covered by earlier levels (stadium trucks, Formula V10, dynamic track + tyres) but I'm intrigued what awful rubbish people will get them to make if we get past 90% which is pretty likely at this point - they were down around 60% at the start of the week...

Besides; I don't have a copy of Formula Truck and I'd like to try it, and it makes sense to get it in the kickstarter and get

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

ugh if the car that wins the sce bonus car vote is a bloody 911 i'll be very annoyed. I can understand why its a popular choice but surely we can think of something slightly more interesting than a car that's available in every racing game in some form

that's mostly why i didn't vote for the skip barber: i don't need a third version of that car and there's already the Formula Vee car to play that role in SCE - and I've been driving that a tonne this week and think that its a funner car to drive

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I suggested 1960s Indycar, partially because I was suggesting something quite late and I wanted to suggest something very different that hasn't been done before in any other game and that's literally the only thing that came to mind. It would be a better series for rfactor 2 really but they've meant to have been developing a load of old Indycar stuff for years and we haven't heard anything since the announcement, and although I'm terrible at driving road racing stuff now when I get better I'd like to have one of those available...

I really wanted to vote for Brisca F1 because its something very off the wall and different (and also cool) but it is totally inappropriate for SCE being a short-track series that mostly runs on less than quarter-mile slate tracks and it has no chance so I didn't want to waste all three of me votes. There's also very good rfactor mods of almost all of the UK stock car series (which you all should get) and therefore it kind of already exists. Also I've not yet seen a dirt track sim thing that has good AI and I couldn't see it being majorly popular online...

Unless something dramatically change, it'll be five of those that get in the finals. Of those I'll probably end up voting for either Canam or WSC but none are particularly enthralling. I'd rate the Ford Pinto (which is an option) above a few of them...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Just put CART Extreme into my SCE beta install and have been kicking around on the Rio oval. Its still the best mod for any racing sim ever, and its nice that I don't have to mess around in the logitech thing to run it

There are still some problems that limit oval racing; rolling starts are still the joke they were in rfactor because second place doesn't get penalised for passing the leader so if you go after the AI as the pole sitter you'll end up in tenth by turn 1, but if you go before you'll end up ten car lengths in front by turn 1 and you retain some... interesting rfactor behaviour under yellow: in a ten lap race only the top 10 finished on the lead lap because under the yellow (that may have been caused by me spinning in turn 1...) they all decided to pit and drop to some very low speed on pit entry, and cars struggle to get in order behind the safety car after leaving the pits if they end up out of order. SCE isn't an oval track simulator though so most of that is OK: but the rolling start stuff really needs to be looked at since lots of road race series use them... The actual racing was surprisingly good though - you go have to put invulnerability on against the AI but other than that safety net you can have some surprisingly good races

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

GhostDog posted:

Had a look at the upcoming Gooncar races, I'll have to skip (i.e. not buying) the pure ovals, so I'm buying Brands Hatch, New Hampshire, Iowa and the Skip Barber. Also throwing in Mid Ohio and Sebring to get to the 20% discount. gently caress. They got me man, they loving got me.

This week is on a free oval, you have no excuse ;)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I don't remember anything about the original Most Wanted story; probably because I just used the game as an open world "run away from the police" game and its incredibly fun for that. As is the newer one which doesn't have a story, but does have way too much DLC...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Fanatec seem to be getting rid of lots of their middle-market stuff: the only option you have for a wheel is now the Clubsport which costs the best part of a grand to get in a workable condition (without pedals or a shifter) and they've ditched the CSR Elite pedals as well which I was looking at to potentially replace my DFGT ones, which I now probably won't do since I'm not spending a hundred quid on pedals without a load cell brake, nor can I ever afford to spend £300 just on a set of pedals... That just seems like an incredibly silly thing to do: I'd imagine that there are plenty of people (certainly me) who have a basic wheel (DFGT) who'd like to upgrade in some way without spending absolutely crazy money, and Fanatec seem to have given up those people to Thrustmaster...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the best bit about dirt rally is that i don't have to mess around with rsrbr in order to have fun driving a rally car; which is a good thing

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Great Joe posted:

The best part about Dirt Rally is that it has the Lancia Stratos.

it has all the good lancias; including the fulvia which lots of past rally games forgot about

the delta s4 is the best one; mostly because its the most mental car ever built. it took the turbocharged engine from the 037 and whacked a supercharger on it which could deliver up to 600HP if tuned for max power; and put it in a car with almost no crash protection. the end of group b was sad, but honestly expected with how crazy it got

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

jonathan posted:

I thought the ford rs200 caused the end of the group B era

honestly i think all of the cars contributed in some way

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Anyway, more on topic: What the gently caress is a Lancia Stratos?

the second best rally car ever made ever

the best is the lancia delta s4, which somehow manages to be even more bonkers despite being four-wheel drive

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The Lancer and Velo Citta are a fun combination in the beta; assuming we have a decent number of people we should totally have a goon race just after the official release

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've just spent some time with rFactor 2 on Steam - I didn't get the email originally but after I sent a support email they replied within the hour with the Steam code which is nice!

Has there always been a wheel soft lock? I have a feeling that there was but I could never get it to work if that was the case. It make the game more playable since needing to dick around in the Logitech thing before playing is always annoying... Also the race events thing is good and not something that I'm sure they had before, plus they seem to have put some thought into what tracks to put with what car: I tried driving the IndyCar (badly) and all the tracks they had seemed to fit the IndyCar very well. I actually quite like the different variations they have on the totally not-Top Gear test track, its an interesting idea and an airport track is different at least: I still think that the old Cleveland IndyCar track is better but I'll take it!

For some reason the identical cars are much harder to drive in this than in iRacing - at least the IndyCar and the Skip Barber are. I don't know whether that's more realistic, whether its car setup, whether its an rFactor2 thing or just me but I'm not a huge fan. I know that rFactor2 gets a lot of criticism for its content but track-wise at least its not that bad. It may not have all of the big tracks but I honestly don't mind missing some of them if we get some interesting tracks that aren't in every other game and it delivers that to some extent with some of the smaller American tracks that they have that no other game has. It doesn't get close to SCE in the "weird interesting tracks that aren't in any other game" stakes but its . I'm just hoping that they release some of the stuff that they've been licenced: when they first got IndyCar and IMS (the latter is a very good track with all the combos that they've used in the past for the road tracks) they were meant to release a lot of old IndyCar stuff (I remember a 95 Reynard, a 80s March, a 60s rear-engined one and a Roadster are what I can vaguely remember them being) and they've not been mentioned since. Hopefully we'll hear more now that they have the Stock Cars out and anyone of them would dramatically increase the amount of (unique) oval content they have, although I'm a little biased being a big IndyCar fan.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

You should watch Driven

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Shine posted:

Somebody stream this, please!

we're actually good at racing

source: the last gooncar iracing race, which was genuinely one of the best races i've ever had

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i'd be up for pre-gooncar fun although i've never driven the opala or classic rio so i'll probably either get lost or spend all race spinning in the grass. A Formula Vee series on some of the shorter tracks might be a fun thing to try out...

someone has streamed gooncar before although he's not been around for a few weeks. there are highlights in the iracing thread for most of the races if you're interested although not for new hampshire sadly despite that us being our best race - there definitely are for Iowa which was almost as good and I finished second after half the field forgot to put fuel in before the race, plus Concord which was... more what you would expect to happen when you get a bunch of goons to race. I've been meaning to clip out my eighth to third in one lap because I thought it made me actually look much better than I actually am: I can't quite figure out how to though.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

drat you're making me want to try and find a way to get gpl to work on windows 10

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

if anyone's up for stock car extreme fun then some of us will be in Reiza official 3 after it switches cars to the Opala (that's 5pm UK time, mid-day EST I *think*)

e: scratch that, its a crap car then - we're going at 6pm GMT/1pm EST unless something good appears before

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 6, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Stock Car Extreme: game "gooncar2" - 86 Opala at new Interlagos. Get in

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

no because there were only like three of us, and one of those was me apparently glitching around twenty feet above the track because i tried racing with the beta and not the standard version

i'm sure there are still a few people in the game though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

mission: wreck ohsh on lap 1 and thus ruin the stream for the viewer

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Speaking of SCE: we should try the online again tomorrow - I'll actually be able to join in this time since I have the stable release installed... Hopefully we can get a few more people that last time!

CaseFace McGee posted:

What are some of the recommended mods for GSCE? Thanks to GhostDog, I've been messing around a bit with the game, but I haven't dug into a ton of the mods besides a few tracks of various quality.

I personally like CART Extreme a lot even though I find the cars hard to control, but I'm a fan of those type of cars so I'm probably a little biased. If you're into big powerful single seaters then its the best thing that you'll get. Most of the mods are converted from rfactor so you might have played them before, although some of the conversions aren't particularly great. Also most of them haven't been updated for the 1.51 mod changes (wheel soft-lock, cockpit-adjustable ARBs and the like) so you'd have to pre-set your wheel before playing them but that isn't a huge problem.

Track-wise, again its almost all rfactor conversions but the Patrick Giranthon tracks are very good and in some cases you can't tell that they're not tracks designed for SCE.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

We doing Stock Car Extreme tonight?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

ghost dog isn't allowed to pick a track again

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

How many goons were there though? I counted four of us in the game and a four car race isn't great if you have as wide a talent gap as we do

I'm not saying that we should do public again, that was a mess. I can't really talk, I pretty much constantly spun in turn 3 (mostly because I didn't realise that I had steering assist on for some reason for half the race, probably should set up my SCE install a bit, I normally use the beta) and had to do two stop/go penalties through the worlds dumbest pit lane because I cut the track (one was probably fair). I still finished eighth one place behind ohsh which shows how bad most of the field were!

e: i'm not going to be around next week but i'd recommend the opala or the marcas cars; they're a lot easier to drive and you can get some proper old fashioned touring car racing going - admittedly the latter are front drive and that might put some people off. Full Velo Citta is cool: although I'm partial to the historic tracks in the game, especially old interlagos

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Its Christmas, I'm going to assume that people aren't going to be as free to play racing games

I'm a little annoyed that I"m going to miss Iowa gooncar (especially since the format looks sweet), but I'll be getting pissed at my cousins wedding instead which is much better

• Locked thread