Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

SirJohanna posted:

Alright goons, I could really use your help, because this is driving me nuts.

..this is really weird, because I use artweaver and a trust tablet and used to get this often enough to piss me off royally. Same exact error thing, not enough memory to save.
This happened especially when I was working on big ones (for me, 'round 4000x6000). I'd "fix" it by merging layers as well as shrinking the image, like you have. And, like already suggested, shut down browser.

If that didn't help, I'd also minimize the program to see what background runners I could shut down from task manager, very unscientifically cutting down any unimportant processes running (not system ones, that is). I .. uh, hear this is not actually too smart, but I had a picture to save!
After that I had to let the program "rest" a bit 'cause it was obviously tired and slow. (All commands would take forever to go through and it would often be trudging through a layer merge or something.)
This would usually help, and even when it didn't, and I ragequit, I'd often come back to a picture that DID save after all.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. Sucks to lose hours of work 'cause of technology giving you the finger. :(

Some epic hair. Almost on theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
A test image for a heist board game set in the 70's:

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I don't know where else to put this so it's going right here.

Mother loving Barbara Steele.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Next time this happens could you open the task manager, go to the processes tab, sort by memory usage descending, and take (and post) a screenshot? I'm curious what the heck is going on.

Also, that's a really neat jabberwocky thing.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

..this is really weird, because I use artweaver and a trust tablet and used to get this often enough to piss me off royally. Same exact error thing, not enough memory to save.
This happened especially when I was working on big ones (for me, 'round 4000x6000). I'd "fix" it by merging layers as well as shrinking the image, like you have. And, like already suggested, shut down browser.

If that didn't help, I'd also minimize the program to see what background runners I could shut down from task manager, very unscientifically cutting down any unimportant processes running (not system ones, that is). I .. uh, hear this is not actually too smart, but I had a picture to save!
After that I had to let the program "rest" a bit 'cause it was obviously tired and slow. (All commands would take forever to go through and it would often be trudging through a layer merge or something.)
This would usually help, and even when it didn't, and I ragequit, I'd often come back to a picture that DID save after all.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. Sucks to lose hours of work 'cause of technology giving you the finger. :(

Yeah, technology has often not been friendly to me when I've attempted to make digital art. Fortunately I lost a lot less progress than I feared at first. I appreciate you taking your time typing that out.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Next time this happens could you open the task manager, go to the processes tab, sort by memory usage descending, and take (and post) a screenshot? I'm curious what the heck is going on.

Also, that's a really neat jabberwocky thing.

Will do, and thanks!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Wow, Ron Jeremy lost some weight!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Propitious Jerk posted:

A test image for a heist board game set in the 70's:

The character is totally 70s, but something about the colour work is making me think otherwise - I can't really put my finger on it, could be that it's too gently graded? Maybe it's just because my brain expects 70s cartoon block colours:

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
More stuff for the heist game, an example of another character and my first attempt at a floor-plan.

The floor-plan would definitely need more detail if it were going to print; more furnishings and clutter but I think I'm happy with the way the lighting works and the overall aesthetic.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

this week's sketchbook

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

SirJohanna posted:

-The scratch disc capacity is currently about 450 GB, additionally I let photoshop use 60% of the computer's total memory (just changed it to 70 %)
-The working dimensions are 5250 x 10000 (300 dpi), but photoshop wouldn't even save the image shrunk down with 80 %

Yeah you want to give PS as much RAM as you can stand, even up to 90%+. Still, 5250x10000 at 300dpi comes out to about 17 x 34 inches, which is kind of enormous. If you're planning for large-format printing, you can comfortably print out a 300dpi image at 150-200% of its original dimensions and it will still look fine.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
So I tried to get in theme, and kept coming up empty. Epic to me is vast scenery and mighty battles with giant dragons. That's two things I don't do well and keep practicing on: backgrounds and Big Things.
I pulled from my childhood, thinking adventures with friends instead, mighty little warrior princess with a stick for a sword. Knees and elbows scraped when I climbed trees and slid down hills.
Also wanted to try a different composition, with the busy part on the left for a change.

Even got the dragon in there :woop:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
That is so drat cute!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Sometimes you don’t get the holiday you want, but instead you get the holiday you deserve.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oops, posted something in the wrong thread. Multiple tab mistake.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 20, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Gross monster

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 20, 2015

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR
Epic tranquil cloudy day.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Apres yoga.

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR
More cities.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Doodle done while watching the epic last Hobbit movie (movie was bleh but it fits the theme)

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp

SirJohanna posted:

Alright goons, I could really use your help, because this is driving me nuts.
Today I lost some progress on a piece I've been working on because this keeps on happening:
Photoshop occasionally refuses to save my files because apparently there isn't enough RAM. This has often happened when I've been working on my cintiq and until today I've been able to save my files once I've unplugged the tablet. This time it didn't help at all. I tried to flatten and then shrink the image down to just 6 mb, but I kept receiving the same message when trying to save it.

I wonder if it has something to do with me using the pen tool? Or perhaps it's just some general bug. The layers were behaving strangely, when I tried to merge two layers the colors of those layers changed completely.
Additionally my image file got ridiculously big some way down the road, I have no idea how that happened. Any ideas what's going on here?

Hi! If you're still having trouble with the RAM I think I came across a similar issue with After Effects CS5 with not having enough RAM to do a RAM preview. Have you tried the Purge option? It's what I did in After Effects to give me enough RAM to do a preview again when it would "run out." In Photoshop if you go to Edit>Purge you can choose to remove Undos, things saved on the clipboard, histories, or all of them from the RAM; at least I think it does since I seldom use it in Photoshop unless Task Manager says Photoshop is using way too much memory. I have an older version of Photoshop so it may be a little different in CS6, but the idea should be the same.

And I painted this thing for Pi Day.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

schmarson posted:

Hi! If you're still having trouble with the RAM I think I came across a similar issue with After Effects CS5 with not having enough RAM to do a RAM preview. Have you tried the Purge option? It's what I did in After Effects to give me enough RAM to do a preview again when it would "run out." In Photoshop if you go to Edit>Purge you can choose to remove Undos, things saved on the clipboard, histories, or all of them from the RAM; at least I think it does since I seldom use it in Photoshop unless Task Manager says Photoshop is using way too much memory. I have an older version of Photoshop so it may be a little different in CS6, but the idea should be the same.

And I painted this thing for Pi Day.

I haven't had any troubles since my last post, but chances are I will in the future. I'll try to purge next time PS behaves strangely again, thanks!
Nice pie, now I'm hungry.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Crosspostin' with the chickam thread, I thought one of the chicks looked like Rorschach:

The chickam thread is here

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

neonnoodle posted:

Animation backgrounds dump:

From the last page, but I love these so much. It must be something about the clean, simple style. What sort of thing are you animating?

Christ I need to visit this thread more. I'll have new art up soon, been a crappy month for doing anything. Been spinning wool more than drawing.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 22, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Scathach posted:

From the last page, but I love these so much. It must be something about the clean, simple style. What sort of thing are you animating?
Thanks! They are for a short film that at this point may or may not happen. Doing the backgrounds was fun, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shark time!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I tried to go without harsh outlines for this Dragon Age: Inquisition fanart.. that I started ages ago and finally finished.

I tried to really bring out his haunted look without making him seem too scary, since he's the kindest character ever. The weird kid in the group.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
More random stuff. I really need to branch out into ink and color soon and break up the monotony.

Keret fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 24, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

trying something new.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Nice rendering, Humboldt Squid!

I've been working out some color problems, things seem to be moving forward.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Origianal photo -> http://marystk.deviantart.com/art/0017-522259396

Ideas for next month's theme?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Neon and Humboldt you guys are killing it in March.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Maybe architecture for next month?

Edit: :blush: Thanks bitmap!

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 27, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

neonnoodle posted:

Maybe architecture for next month?

Oooh, yes, this! I am making it my goal to force myself to do two posts a week of "fast" stuff so I get better, and this would be a perfect theme since I get all scared of drawing people. And landscapes. And animals. And...

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hey yes, I need to work on landscapes too. Architecture please!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yeah, architecture sounds good.

If you need inspiration for non-traditional buildings, there's no better place to look than the GBS thread for architectural failures, it's full of uncommon, artistic and fantastical buildings.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

This is not very epic but I drew a snakelady today.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
And now for more random cartooning while taking calls at work.

Meh, not much time to doodle for the last two months.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Had trouble coming up with much this month, but I've finally got one I think is epic, and just under the wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

New thread is up!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710301

• Locked thread