Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
For some reason her middle name being Andrew was hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Would it be going against the OP to bring up the whole "two people aren't enough to repopulate" thing?

One of my few tactical realism pet peeves.

i mean they might as well try though

e: holy gently caress next week's episode looks amazing

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Very much enjoyed this, too bad it will probably die a quick death

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Would it be going against the OP to bring up the whole "two people aren't enough to repopulate" thing?

Uhh, how do you think we are here now?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Liar posted:

Unless it was some lovely copy, he did have the Constitution, as well as a lot of paintings you wouldn't find in Arizona. So either he took time to travel, or he migrated there, or the writers are mocking me for over thinking it.

Do you not remember the opening of episode 1 where he literally traveled everywhere?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liar posted:

Unless it was some lovely copy, he did have the Constitution, as well as a lot of paintings you wouldn't find in Arizona. So either he took time to travel, or he migrated there, or the writers are mocking me for over thinking it.

I assume he got all that stuff when he was travelling around looking for other people. Its just he went back there.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't think Carol is "all there"

Also, I love how she wants to get married

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Gin_Rummy posted:

Do you not remember the opening of episode 1 where he literally traveled everywhere?

No, I came upon the show right as he was committing suicide.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Midnightghoul posted:

Very much enjoyed this, too bad it will probably die a quick death

seems like a few seasons would be suited well to netflix

i read somewhere that FOX wanted this because it's totally different than regular network TV... as in they realize regular tv shows are dying out and needed something different

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I thought it was pretty drat great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The other thing to assume is that they aren't literally the only two people left. That'd be a really specific virus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

I don't think Carol is "all there"

Also, I love how she wants to get married

True, it's not really a problem with the plot.

Carol's hang ups are pretty consistent so far, but I like how she isn't absolute about it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's a classic population bottleneck issue, actually. Humanity has recovered from things almost as bad, but yes, one breeding pair is not a viable long term survival option.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

Well, it really seems like he was already living in Tucson.

Yep, it makes sense to not want to leave where you are familiar with.

Me, I just have wanderlust. Plus I live in Canada, so I want somewhere where its warm.

My take on Carol is she wants to maintain some semblance of civilization, and gets hung up on the little details.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Good stuff. I'm glad I stayed unspoiled about this show, finding out Schaal was the other cast member was a nice surprise.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
At least the first season is in the can and if all else fails it will be dumped onto Hulu or Fox.com

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like it so far. I hope that they make Carol a human being, and don't go overboard on making her loopy or shrewish.

I'm curious how they're going to play the flashbacks. We had a single one this episode, with Phil remembering a past birthday, but I think I would prefer it if the cause of the virus (if it's explained at all) is told through present-tense story, and they use flashbacks sparingly.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
/\/\/\/\/\ I'm not expecting an expectation for why everyone else is dead, nor do I really want one. poo poo like that nearly killed Y: The Last Man (which, if you liked this show, you ABSOLUTELY need to read), plus that's not the point of the show. This isn't a Lost style "big mystery" show, it's a personal comedy about the nature of humanity.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not that I'm trying to backseat mod or suppress discussion or anything (the point of the disclaimer in the OP is to stop Walking Dead/Revolution style shitposting before it begins), but I think in this case it's unwarranted--if it were a show with three people, and one was a doctor and told the other two "Yeah! You two alone can totally repopulate the world by yourselves!" then yeah, you'd have a legitimate complaint (and I'd probably be complaining about it with you). But in this case it's really just a couple of incredibly naive people trying to do what they think is right, even if it won't succeed (and I think they both know it).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 2, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I've just now realized that I forgot to put anything after the colon in the thread title. Any suggestions? I'm thinking "The Last Man on Earth: RIP Phil Miller (June 1980-Novemberish 2021)" but definitely open to better ones.

[Edit: Reply is not edit, oh well]

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yeah, this was pretty good. This is the first FOX show I can remember liking in years so it will definitely get cancelled.

Disclaimer: I still have not watched Brooklyn 99.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dangerous Person posted:

Yeah, this was pretty good. This is the first FOX show I can remember liking in years so it will definitely get cancelled.

Watch Brooklyn 99, it's one of the most dependably funniest comedies on TV. It's by the guys who ran Parks & Rec, so you know it's funny, and even if you dislike Andy Samberg they do a great job with him.

[Edit: Damnit I'm doing that thing where an OP posts like crazy in their own thread but here's a great interview with Lord and Miller about the show. In it, they note that Will Forte wrote an outline for the first season, so it looks like it's sustainable for the episodes that have already been made.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 2, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Cool little possible detail: Phil Miller's fantasy girl? The one who he thought was the other woman until the Kristen Schaal reveal? I think she was wearing the same outfit as the mannequin he was attracted to.

Also, that girl was played by Alexandra Daddario (True Detective) so I'm betting she shows up again.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Also, that girl was played by Alexandra Daddario (True Detective) so I'm betting she shows up again.

It was his sleddaughter

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dangerous Person posted:

Cosmos was on Fox so that's another show

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Already forgot that they did Cosmos. You're right about that one.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I would absolutely binge this entire season tonight if I could.

Loved it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At the very least it'll get 13 episodes. The humor reminds me of Wilfred, so I'm surprised it wasn't on FX.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

At the very least it'll get 13 episodes. The humor reminds me of Wilfred, so I'm surprised it wasn't on FX.

I thought the same thing, actually. I guess it's the fantasy premise and the understated jokes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A few people here and elsewhere online have pointed out how unlike most broadcast network shows TLMoE is and how it's guaranteed to be canceled as a result--I think it's exactly the opposite. Fox bought TLMoE precisely because it's the sort of show that Netflix or Amazon picks up, and Fox wants to prove that they can evolve to compete with the caliber of content that people expect from online streaming services.

Even if the live viewing numbers aren't great, I can see Fox keeping it around for at least a second season. For what it's worth, in the Reddit AMA I linked to earlier show writer Andy Bobrow showed up and they chided him for messing around online instead of working on writing the second season, so they seem to think that it's happening. And I don't blame them.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

It's a classic population bottleneck issue, actually. Humanity has recovered from things almost as bad, but yes, one breeding pair is not a viable long term survival option.

It's theoretically possible to restart a viable population from a single breeding pair but they'd have to have really really awesomely good genes.

I am loving this show so far.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Haven't watched it yet but reminds of The Last Man with Jeri Ryan and 2 other guys. Yeah, or completely different?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don't care how this show is aired, whether it be network, cable or streaming, I will still watch it. Pretty great show and premise. Loved it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Philthy posted:

I would absolutely binge this entire season tonight if I could.

Loved it.

This is exactly how I feel. Show started good and just got better and better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh my god why did I have to discover this show the night the pilot aired. Why couldn't this have been like Archer or Brooklyn Nine Nine where it flies completely under my radar until I've already got a backlog to binge through. I want more, and I want more now. :smith:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The scene where she confronted him about eating the tomatoes was predictable but so well acted I was laughing my rear end off. What a great start to the show.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Just saw it and it was drat good.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

lelandjs posted:

Also I've just now realized that I forgot to put anything after the colon in the thread title. Any suggestions?

There's no wrong way to use a margarita pool.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Fun show. The first episode felt a bit like Groundhog Day, as the AV Club pointed out. It's nice to see someone more haggard looking than me on a TV show.

My prediction is that the show will quickly split up the two characters, because there's still a lot of slovenly bachelor gags and existential crises to be had from the isolation. Erica might die humorously, or one of the two will get fed up and leave. My wild-rear end speculation is that there's yet another woman (probably played by January Jones) who shows up, and that offers a superior friend for Erica, which serves to allow Phil to be independent again.

Anyway, this picture is great:

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
So she didn't really hurt her foot and was never actually working on the water right? That was all a scheme to get his sympathy so he would come over to her side? I'm hoping the reveal for this is him falling in the toilet fountain and being shocked that it's actually empty.

Also, sticky?

Viginti fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One thing that I wondered about...

...where are the animals? Unless the virus killed everything mammalian, you'd think he'd be able to find a dog to bond with.

• Locked thread