Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One thing that I wondered about...

...where are the animals? Unless the virus killed everything mammalian, you'd think he'd be able to find a dog to bond with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

someusername posted:

This and BCS have defined 2015 as the year of the hour-long dark comedy.

A little bit of bad news on that front - only the first showing is an hour long since it was two episodes back to back. From here on out it'll be a half-hour per week.

This might be a bit of a spoiler, but Schaal might not be the last woman on earth: http://www.arktimes.com/RockCandy/archives/2015/01/23/mary-steenburgen-joins-new-fox-comedy-last-man-on-earth

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 4, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

I think it's more she has no idea how meatballs work. Although no animals is certainly a possibility, since we haven't seen any yet.

Exactly - you'd think one of the first things Forte might've done would have been to go to an animal shelter and pick up a dog.

...probably the simpler explanation is that the show's being done on a shoestring, and animals cost money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Red posted:

Unless the showrunners just went to a shelter to pick up a dog?

Ever notice how at the end of any movie there's always a notice that the Humane Society was on set to ensure no animals were harmed? Animals cost money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

The right genetics and a few lucky thousand years to rebuild, and humanity could be fine from these two [Or three. Or more.] idiots on the show. Hopefully they'll gloss over the massive amounts of incest in the history books.

And what of the gradual genotoxicity of chemically-laden preserved foodstuffs that Phil is clearly gorging himself on?

Soylentbits posted:

We still need the last man in space.

That's a big part of "Y: The Last Man." The ISS had two male astronauts and one female astronaut when all the men on Earth died, and both of them survived and conceived a child with the woman, and both died trying to save her when they were forced to leave the station. The kid was male, and they kept him in a sealed room for years until they realized what killed men wasn't a virus in the air. Of course, there was also the part where the Catholic Church kidnapped a woman the 'last man' had impregnated so - if it'd been male - they could declare him Pope so one day he could pass a decree that women could be ordained as clergy.

I'm surprised they didn't mention that...if he's also the de-facto President of the United States, he's also the de-facto head of all major religions.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 10, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Anyone else think it's funny that January Jones is going to have a part in something where another man's wife actually *wants* her to get pregnant by her husband?

Hopefully a Mexican nanny or French au pair survived the viral apocalypse, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I have no idea what that means, i don't read Woman's Day.

January Jones evidently was supposedly screwing Matthew Vaughn while he was directing X:Men - First Class. Vaughn is married to Claudia Schiffer.

NowonSA posted:

I can see how you'd want to mix it up as much as possible, both genetically and ethically, but out of curiosity what exactly would be the proverbial stop sign on the human race if you tried to recreate it with two people? Is it just higher infant mortality rate/illness rate and more difficulty in creating offspring?

It would be a pretty abrupt stop. You'd need about 50 breeding pairs as a bare minimum to get a decent start, preferably with good genes. The *safe* number is ~500-600 breeding pairs.

Also, just an aside, but this show became a whole lot funnier when I started pretending Will Forte was Chris-Chan. I also really thought he was going to try and kill Carol (or just think about it) when he said "what if I wasn't married?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Of course, the title of the show should be "The Last Men on Earth" now, but I almost guarantee you that Phil's going to latch onto Todd's eating hook, get him super-fat, and he'll end up having a coronary or stroke.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm just disappointed. The way they kept showing the sunglasses the way they did, along with the cool German car speeding along the road, I kinda wanted it to be Jay Chandrasekhar. Skin tone was pretty clearly off, though. =/

Bonus points if they'd kept him as Ramathorn, too. It would've been perfect - not only would he have been a former cop, but he's demonstrably suave and would've been a perfect foil for Phil.

"You know, you kinda remind me of a guy I used to work with. He was a clueless friggin' moron too. You're skinnier, though."

I figure that's next, though - someone, male or female, coming to Tuscon who used to 'be someone' in the world, either a former politician, military type, or cop who feels they need to be 'in charge' because they're the best-qualified.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 24, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Not sure if I agree with those thinking it's a good thing Phil 'decided' to not leave Todd out in the desert.

He didn't do it because he had a sudden crisis of conscience, he did it because he knew he realized he couldn't explain it away. Melissa isn't buying his bullshit anymore, and the way I read Todd offering to let Phil take credit for finding the cow is because he's starting to realize Phil's a sociopath, and maybe hopes if he's *nicer* to him, that maybe he won't murder him in his sleep once he gets the balls for it.

Again, this is like watching a televised sitcom of Chris-Chan post-apocalypse. The only difference is the "Voting Board" would have pictures of Sonichu all over it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 30, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

This season can only end with Phil waking up and Carol, Melissa, and Todd have left because they're sick of his poo poo, so it goes back to him being the "last" man on earth for season 2.

That, or they kill/exile Phil.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

That would make for a fantastic season 2 finale, where after exile and travel he decides to head back to Tuscon and there are like 30-40 people happily living and getting along and when they spot him and just go dead silent.

When you think about it, he's done a terrible loving thing by encouraging people to go somewhere where arable land and water is scarce and completely non-viable most of the year, all because he's a lazy manchild who couldn't be bothered to move somewhere more suitable with near-infinite resources available to him. For instance, if you think you're the last person on earth, why *wouldn't* you go to Washington DC and live in the White House? That sounds like a pretty god damned decent place you might expect any *living* Americans to head for.

I know if *I* were in this situation I'd get the gently caress over to Potomac, MD. Plenty of gigantic mansions and open spaces on golf courses to dig up and start farming. Oh yeah, and a nearby *river* far enough upstream to not have to worry as much about the muck and poo poo that collects around the city.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 30, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

The show would have been a lot better if it was just Carol and Phil having disagreements and funny shenanigans. I'm not gonna feel bad when this gets canceled.

Yeah, I mean, if you're going to call a show "The Last Man on Earth," you don't introduce another guy so loving early in the run.

Though when you think about it, *Todd* is the last *man* on Earth, because Phil's a loving manchild.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Repopulating the world with a 60 year old would be interesting.

Speaking of which, I hope when they bring Steenburgen onto the show, she's something a bit more substantial, like a retired doctor. Having people appear who have real-world skills would make things more interesting, as Melissa's a former real estate agent, Phil was a 'temp' worker, and Carol worked in a factory. People with useful skills like doctors, farmers, hunters, and mechanics would serve to put Carol and Melissa firmly into Phil's 'practically useless' camp...at least until they learned a useful trade, like Todd offering to teach them how to make stuff with cow's milk.

Steenburgen being a doctor could also give them the ability to conclude something like the virus spared everyone with AB negative blood or something, which someone would decry as racist since 1% of Caucasians have it and no other race has more than ~0.3%, with Asians at something like 0.1%.

...I'm also a bit surprised given the level of sperg in here that no one mentioned the dangers of drinking raw cow milk (or at least raw cow milk out of a cow that could've eaten something poisonous).

Also, is today's episode a repeat? I scrolled past it on my television's guide and didn't see the 'new episode' mark.

EDIT: Wikipedia has Cleopatra Coleman as being a future castmember as well. She is attractive as well. I *really* hope they don't take the tack of 'a hotter woman than Melissa shows up, so Phil starts creeping on her, which makes Melissa ~jealous~ for the lost attention, for some reason apparent only to the writers.'

In other news:

http://collider.com/last-man-on-earth-season-2-spoilers/ (least spoiler-y article ever)

“I’m really proud of the show, in general, but those first couple of episodes, there’s something really special about them. If there’s one thing I could change, it would be spending a little more time in that world of just Phil alone, and then more time with just Phil and Carol, and a little more time with just the three. Once you get these people, there’s no going back, unless you kill somebody off.”

"...if they get a second season, Forte has a plan that would require the beard again."

"Chris Miller always imagined the plague as a flesh and bone eating virus that turned everyone to dust."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 5, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Air is lava! posted:

Maybe it wil just turn out that Phil had a vasectomy. That would annoy Kirsten Schaal of quite a lot

Schaal's character would be the type who'd go to the nearest library, read up on vasectomy reversal, knock Phil out with drugged booze, and try to surgically fix his plumbing...with hilarious results!

"I can make kickass glitter-festooned signs...this can't be *that* much more difficult!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I mean it was funny to see Phil's advances fall flat for the first 5 minutes. Three solid episodes of "hahaha this hot girl is sleeping with this fat guy how mad are you?" is about 2 3/4 episodes too many. Show is dead in the water unless they change something in the next episode.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/11/the-last-man-on-earth-why-making-phil-a-villain-for-awhile-is-part-of-the-plan (not very spoilery at all)

And as for the upcoming characters:

Cleopatra Coleman (far right) is evidently going to be named "Erica" if you go by Wikipedia's cast info.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

It'd be pretty funny if the only people who went to Tuscon were the individuals who had no other option then live alone, and all the groups of people congregated around major urban centers because they didn't trust the "come to Tuscon" signs.

And in one episode, someone will come in from off-camera and say "did anyone see that really bright flash to the northwest?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Don't get why he keeps sticking with the sham marriage, he's shown he's willing to be a scummy dick in other ways, but telling the crazy woman that he doesn't want to play house any longer would cross the line?

He's a coward and a sociopath who just figured out he's a sociopath. He's willing to say anything and everything to avoid taking blame, but at the same time he doesn't want to give up what he has, for fear he won't get something better.

Though I'm happy that the painful-to-watch branch they were going out on seems to be done, what seems even more insufferable going by the previews is that Erica and Gail seem to be seriously entertaining giving Phil a second chance.

At least until Boris Kodjoe shows up, who's now listed as being a castmember on the Wiki page, which hasn't been wrong yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tweak posted:

it would be great if the new guy did actually have ulterior motives, either as a spy from some military base scouting the area (~who know the secret of the virus ooo~), or just straight up evil.

because otherwise it's the same episode every single week (sometimes twice)

The ulterior motive kind of writes itself - look at 28 Days Later with the 'insane' Major and his cadre of rape-happy grunts. He's an 'authority figure' amidst a bunch of seemingly aimless civilians, and the only challenge to his authority is a manchild and a guy who thinks the best of everyone and probably couldn't win a fight against one of those punching balloons. Just take out the 'rape' part and it's network-grade sitcom-friendly!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Calling it now - New Phil is allergic to jalapeños.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gynovore posted:

They did?

EDIT: ^^^beat^^^

The virus turned everyone who died to it to dust.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

He quite probably is not.

If he's the only person currently in the ISS, he's most assuredly able to pilot the Soyuz that's attached to it at all times. He's following protocol - remaining on station as long as his supplies/air hold out in the event of a loss of contact with no reason. The ISS is constantly 'falling' (the rotating solar panels actually cause a modicum of drag which exacerbates the issue) which requires fuel to be flown up to it to keep the stabilizing thrusters fed and working. Only thing is, you'd want to aim for the flattest and largest expanse of land you could find - which is why they routinely drop them into Kazakhstan. Trying to land in the midwest US without accurate weather readings would be kind of a bad idea.

All that sperging aside, though - I've a feeling Phil Mk2 isn't going to give Carol up that easily.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 4, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

He'll be balls deep in Cougar town before sunset.

He already was, and he picked Carol, despite Gail and Erica throwing themselves at him. Hopefully he'll hunt for Carol just for conflict's sake, thinking maybe 'Tandy' kidnapped her when she went out to give him more supplies.

Despite the 'reboot' angle feeling really contrived and convenient, at least they've got another shot at a good start for the second first season, and for the first time in his probably meaningless life, Phil Tandy Miller has a bonafide *enemy* on Earth. Not just a guy whom he doesn't like at work, but an actual *enemy*, and both see the other as the villain.

But seeing as everyone except Kristen Schall and Will Forte were given "Special Guest Star" tags, it's more likely they'll just start from complete scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, I did not see a map or compass, so yeah, left to die. If Tandy was left on a road, yeah, but in the desert with no bearing, how will he know how to get to the burb? I doubt Tandy can find North and get his bearings without a compass.

All he'd have to do is find a road sign marking which one he's on. Most of them mention which direction the road's going.

• Locked thread