Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I didn't hate Santino, but his contrarian behavior was getting old. Some new blood on the panel should be interesting. I haven't indulged in any of the preview videos other than The Meet the Queens vids and I'm so sold on Ginger Minj. Here's to the beginning of another great season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Throwing my hat into the Fans of Katya ring, too. Still loving Ginger, but I didn't think I'd love Trixie as much as I do. This season is going to be a fun one.

The Untucked Episode is up but it looks like it's only available for those of us in the states. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNL2cpieWJs

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Agreeing with all the chatter about the new Untucked format. I just wish it aired right after the show instead of making us wait to watch it the next day. Oh well, I can't be too mad, Drag Race is back!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

My DVR cut out before I got to see next week's promo, but that sounds intriguing.

New episode of Untucked is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhhwWwbFj8

My first impressions based on the last two episodes. Jasmine Masters is like the old and grown up version of Serena Cha Cha; annoying, irrelevant, and not funny. Categorize her under "Queens who take themselves way too seriously". Max is really stunning in and out of drag, in a very androgynous way, but she tends to fade into the background. I don't see her lasting too long, which is unfortunate because I kinda like her whole shtick. At first I wasn't really sure about Kennedy, but drat, she can turn it out. Still mildly intrigued by Fame and Pearl, but I don't know how long they'll stick around. My top faves are Ginger, Katya, Trixie, and Jaidynn Diore Fierce.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

pandabear posted:

Even Ginger, who is hilarious and fun, when speaking to Pearl in Untucked spoke in a sort of abrasive way, although the underlying message was well-meant. I hope when Jasmine leaves (there is def no way she's getting to the final 3 with her current look) that this rift fades.

Hahaha, during that entire conversation I couldn't help but imagine that in Ginger's mind she's probably thinking "Oh Jeez, just stop talking, you sound like an rear end in a top hat" because it was written all over her face. I don't think the tone was meant to sound chiding or abrasive, it just happened that way. It's also really early on and most of the contestants probably still have their guard up due to it being a new experience and still getting to know each other. Hoping over the course of the season that drops a bit.

That's just what I'm guessing, anyway.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

What I want to know is, how can I get one of those Ru statues all the eliminated queens seem to be getting. That's a new one this season, and I like it.

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

Violet looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt during the 3rd Rock from the Sun years.

Haha! Now I can't unsee this!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Woohoo! Thanks!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Well that episode of Drag Race and Untucked was awkward. Trixie's look though was awesome!

I just don't understand the defeatist attitude Jasmine had; buy the ticket take the ride. Seems like a waste of competition space considering so many queens want to be there.

Speed Crazy posted:

Anybody think there will be any redemption challenges or returning eliminated queen shenanigans? I don't think they brought back any eliminated last year, but they did it in the past with Kenya Michaels and other reality tv shows like Top Chef have had success with web series like Last Chance Kitchen.

Goddamn, I just want the Snatch Game already.

It would be interesting to see who the judges would pick to bring back if so. I'm also highly anticipating this season's Snatch Game and can't wait to see which celebs the queens impersonate.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

She does get props for finding a loaf of bread to use during the mini-challenge though. Like seriously, where did she find that? That's pretty much the only nice thing I have to say about Jasmine.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Agreeing with all the chatter about Trixie leaving and Kennedy winning. What the hell was that about? I really thought some of the others had more standout performances.

New Untucked is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh3s9JNxRUk

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Yeah, it seemed like everyone (and the internet) expected it to be Pearl and Kandy with Kandy being the one to go home.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Went to battle of the seasons tonight. Alaska owned the loving show. Like just put on the most amazing performance.

The one in Dallas? We're going tonight and I'm so frickin' excited!

So I had a thought last night while re-watching this episode. I wonder what the chances are that within the next episode or two Pearl decides to leave the show and ask that Trixie replace her. Hmmm.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Yep. Like completely kills it. During snatch game Bianca couldn't speak, she was laughing too hard at Alaska. Complete surprise.

You were definitely right. Alaska was awesome! The entire show was just amazing!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I also thought one of the main reasons Trixie got sent home was due to her being the team leader and falling short, but then in the episode prior Kennedy sucked at being a leader, so there goes that theory.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Tendai posted:

Seriously, that was just amazing when I watched it this morning. "It's eight in the morning and I'm watching a drag queen do a chicken impression."

Honestly this is kind of what I thought when I was watching the critiques and such. I didn't agree with the winners or the elimination but just in terms of looks, they are all pretty amazing. There's no Raja just slamming it in terms of runway looks or what have you over everyone else, no one just monopolizing challenges. It's a much more even playing field it feels like, at least now that Jasmine is gone. My idea of who might be in the top three eventually keeps changing each week.

I hadn't even considered this, but you're all right. There isn't a clear cut winner this season and all the queens seem to have such different personalities and skills. With that said, I still don't agree with last night's elimination decision and I'm going to miss that kooky queen.

I think I'm also the only person who doesn't hate Violet and I'm kinda coming around on Fame. When she was talking about chickens I couldn't stop laughing!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

Are you guys serious? Violet has a classic case of constant bitchface, and the attitude to back it up. She's not standing in the room shouting about Party City, but after what I've seen I wouldn't want to be around her either.

She's no Phi Phi or Roxxxy. She's young and has her moments though, but I don't think she's gone on the personal attack other than the second episode comment about Michelle Visage. I could be completely wrong though. I chalk up a lot of the attitude she has on age and the fact that she's probably grown up pretty isolated; doesn't mean it's right but it could be the source of her bitchiness.

That Untucked episode was definitely more emotional than I expected.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

The Brooke Hogan of Drag! I love her so much!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

You see, this is what happens when Kandy doesn't have to lipsync against someone with osteoporosis.

Great episode.

This made me cackle.

It's just really hard to follow up the last few seasons because they've all had really great queens. I mean, following up Bianca or Rolaskatox? Those are pretty big stilettos to fill. I was really hoping they'd do an Allstars season this time around, but I guess that'll happen later.

Katya's look was hilarious, and Violet with her tiny waist was ridiculous!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Finally watched this week's Untucked. I was really turned off by Ginger being so rude and gossipy, but I loved how Violet handled the situation when Ginger was talking to her about "The same ol' look". I really thought Violet handled that so well; at first she pretended she didn't hear her, then after Ginger repeated herself Violet's next comment about "Maybe this is a work room discussion" just cinched it for me. I was so not expecting that kind of maturity and I was really surprised at how she diffused the discussion.

I also noticed while Kennedy, Ginger, and Katya were talking mess Katya was obviously playing aloof intentionally. I think there's going to be some major drama from Ginger soon.

At first I just played off her two-face act as being an over the top Southern Belle but now I'm thinking she's just bitter and bitchy.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I spent last night watching Katya's youtube videos, and most of today going through her Tumblr. I can't stop laughing and I really want this queen to win. I can't think of any other queen with this kind of social media presence from previous seasons other than possibly Willam; am I wrong?

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Bina posted:

Some gifs of Katya. I will upload the other episode gifs later.

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

This is a gift; thank you!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

I was shocked Pearl wasn't the winner, she had me laughing so hard.

Me too! Her Big Ang was hilarious!

Wouldn't it be the ultimate troll move to bring back Max instead of Trixie next episode? I don't hate Max, I just don't think this is the right competition for her drag style.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

spite house posted:

Living for how adorably giddy-relieved they were. That was a great Untucked (it also made me come back around to Kennedy.)

It really was a great Untucked.

I want to dislike Kennedy, but then she turns something like this out and then acts a fool in Untucked. It was enough to change my opinion.

Oh Max...

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

What was really annoying about Max was the defeatist attitude on top of the "I'm going to wear a different colored wig once and then go back to gray" bit. The shade directed toward Jaidynn was also ridiculous. It really makes me wonder if what Ginger said in that last Untucked episode was more truth than gossip.

I thought this post on IG from Milk was actually spot on.

https://instagram.com/p/1dlLSuHPk3/?taken-by=bigandmilky

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

the escape goat posted:

there's currently an absurd rumour going around that Katya is going home tonight and, should that be the case, I fuckin' quit.

This better just be a rumor!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Detox needs to intervene and tell everyone she's loving had it officially with all these acting challenges.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

I have a question for you guys; out of all the queens you've seen live, who's impressed you most?

It's hard for me to decide on one so I'll narrow it down to three from the show. Bianca was hilarious each time we saw her, Alaska was a freakin' riot, and Adore was just wow. As for non contestants, echoing the love for Christeene.

Ginger really reminds me a lot of the southern women I've grown up around. They're not intentionally catty but they do have a knack for saying one thing and then turning around and saying another. Kinda like when Sasha came back and Ginger told her she was glad they got paired up, but in the talking head segment she admitted it was a lie. While it's shady it's just some weird southern thing where they feel like they have to diffuse the situation with kindness even if it isn't true. I've never understood it either, but I can see why people would get so turned off by it.

gandlethorpe posted:

Strongly considering buying tickets for DragCon and attending with my best friend who introduced me to the show.

Please go! Take pictures, notes, and report back! Anyone else going?

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

As if I needed more reason to be Team Katya she is a yoga goddess and proves it in her most recent RuFlections vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEc0M-syLnQ

I could watch videos of her and Willam all day. :allears:

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Anyone here going to the Drag Fest happening this weekend in Austin? So excited!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Rambles like a crazy person. She and Kelly Mantle lip synced a bit and she did a bad dance. I only saw the last few minutes of it due to everything being a clusterfuck at scheduling.

Yeah, this year was definitely a first year event. I'm hoping next year if they do it again it won't be so poorly planned. I was annoyed with how early a lot of the sets were and missed out on a bunch. Oh well.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah. Still fun though. I saw some very good drag, some average drag, and some very, very, very bad drag.

Who'd you see?

I didn't get to see nearly as much as I wanted, but I was glad I caught Adore and Courtney.

spite house posted:

Unless this season is radically different from seasons past, it's bullshit. Nobody knows who wins (except Ru and I guess a few producers) until the reunion airs.

From what I remember no one knows the outcome until the final airing, not even the top 3. They basically film each 3 "winning" and the outcome isn't made public until the final episode airs. I think this came up last thread.

Wow, last night's episode was definitely a good one. I just love half and half face!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

We're getting to the point where I don't want to see anyone go anymore. I'm really hoping for Katya and Violet in the top 3 while Pearl and Ginger duke it out for the 3rd spot. Can't wait to get home and see this week's Untucked.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

At least we have one more RuGrets on the way, right?

Ugh, so over this season. Echoing the same sentiment from the thread.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

New theory: this is all just to ensure that an Alaska/Katya team-up will dominate All Stars Season 2.

It will be worth it.

I.. Wow. This would be the best gift to the world! I hope you're right.

Slightly off topic but can I get a gif (not Jiff) of Katya's confident face around 12:34?

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Thank you!

Fantastisk posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > RuPaul's Drag Race 2015 - Katya Appreciation Station

Katya wrote a thing on Facebook:

I feel better about the whole thing after reading this. Katya is amazing and is going to be just fine, and I can't wait to see what she has in store for us. :3:

I love Mom so much! What a class act!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

vaginadeathgrip posted:

As terrible as it is that Katya didn't make top 3, I think in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if she didn't win. She won our hearts, and our money when we pay to see her or buy her shirts or just throw it straight at her. Developing a crazy fan base is probably better and more profitable in the long run than winning and fading into obscurity.

This was my exact thought. I think there was a moment on the most recent Untucked where Katya said something about the "Reddit Haters", but then it occurred to me that everyone loves her, possibly even Reddit! So, despite whomever wins I really think Katya is going to have a lot more lasting power than this season's winner. The internet has spoken. Katya > Everyone else!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

One thing that really bothered me this season was that there was more focus on the opportunity for catch-phrasing and overusage of team challenges. It hit me mid episode that I didn't really see much vulnerability from anyone this season until last-loving-night's episode. I had no idea Kennedy was a legal guardian or that Pearl had such a traumatic experience as a child. It seems like one of the reasons, to me anyway, why this season fell flat is because that's how everyone was painted - completely one dimensional with catchy phrases and an emphasis on the runway. The lack of workroom banter and genuine interest in the lives of the contestants seemed to be the death knell for this season.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I believe Bianca went on record at one point saying even though she knew Lady Bunny season 6 was the first time she got to meet and work with Ru.

Edit:

Last night's recap episode was really boring.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Well, I'm sure now the producers will see this and make it a challenge come season 8!

I wish I could nail down what was so off about this season. I agree with the general assessment of "boring" but what were the primary factors that made the show lackluster? I think group challenge saturation was a factor, reducing opportunities to stand out (yeah, I guess that's part of the challenge, but still). While I appreciate some of the editing changes, I had a very strong feeling the "old versus young" angle of the last few episodes was HIGHLY exaggerated. Pearl's laid back personality and Violet's confidence are both awesome, but I suppose certain producers don't think those make exciting TV?

At this stage I'd be happy with Violet or Pearl in lieu of Katya. Ginger does have the talent, but honestly she's bringing nothing that new or innovative that we haven't seen on other queens before.

It feels like, to me anyway, that they focused more on witty catchphrases and funny gif opportunities rather than actually spotlighting the contestants. Remember that scene with Fame and Katya talking about their sobriety and how it may have gotten a reaction from you? But then those moments just didn't happen anymore because LOL We need Ginger to say "How is she though?" because the world needs more memes.

That's how this season felt for me. It really lacked substance and even though we know a lot about Katya now it's because she came out and told all of us via social media or youtube, not because it came out much on the show. It really seems like they tried to make these queens more into caricatures rather than actual people we can identify with.

Hell, one of the reasons Bianca grew on everyone was because of her workroom banter with the other contestants, like letting Adore borrow a cincher or trying to help Trinity with her personal issues. I could be completely wrong and full of it, but I really think this season ultimately lacked that aspect that we all loved about the show. If I wanted to see a bunch of ladies in bad makeup saying canned things I'd just watch The Real Housewives of _____.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Fully agreeing with the Allstars sentiment; I'd love to see what Alaska and Katya could do in a team challenge together.

• Locked thread