Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

caligulamprey posted:

It was absolutely, undeniably, unquestionably Ru pulling Katya because RuPaul's been aiming for a big queen winner and, if by chance Katya ended up in the top 3, she would have taken it all, period. Scientific. Fact. I have charts and schematics. I have red thumbtacks stuck in a map of Russia and headshots connected to each other by yarn, nobody attempt to take this away from me. :cripes:

I actually don't think so. I believe that Ru really believed at the time that Ginger, Pearl, and Violet deserved to be in the top three. Ru doesn't really know about all the drama backstage, nor does she see the talking heads until they begin editing the season. I mentioned it earlier, I'm pretty sure the reason why the season premiered two months later than it was supposed to because they realized how dull the season one, but miraculously they found that Katya made for some great comedy, so they really upped Katya's presence in the edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CHiRAL posted:

Meanwhile in DragCon...
warning: probably NSFW

Those girls at the end of that video were thirsty.

But so was I...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Plastic surgery is not doing Sharon Needles any favors. She was nearly unrecognizable. She looked Morgan McMichaels doing a Sharon Needles impersonation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CHiRAL posted:

That one is actually intentional. She has said before she is a huge fan of people that just look off like Joan Rivers and Amanda Lapore.

Ha, okay. That's a relief. I knew that she had been doing plastic surgery. I thought that the look in the episode tonight had been an extension of that. Glad to know that she was exaggerating her plastic surgery look.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

I still want a show of Bianca and Adore on a road trip performing shows in all 50 states where we meet queens and other members of local gay communities.

A RuPaul version of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. This just sounds so obvious, that I'm shocked it hasn't been done yet.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Echo Video posted:

yeah, not a lot of tv shows can stay good for eight seasons

this has been the star trek: enterprise of drag race

This one didn't even last seven apparently, haha.

Hopefully Ru will be inspired by being a judge on the UK version of Drag Race that is filming this year (my info is correct, right?).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The biggest problem with this season was the utter lack of talent. After seven seasons, Ru is really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for drag talent in this country. Sure, the plethora of the acting challenges were a problem, and the lack of werkroom scenes were a problem, but the biggest problem was the talent. To the extent that the one standout queen from this season was booted out at 5.

It's pretty clear that the reason for the two month delay of the premiere of the season was that they realized what a dud it was, and that they needed more time to go back and edit it.

Next season needs to be a full-on All Stars season. A full order of episodes, not a limited run of 6 episodes with team pairings. It's what people want, and it'll give Ru time to do an extensive proper search for drag talent for a fully new season in two years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Not Today Satan posted:

I love your avatar. :allears:

I'd really like to see Bendela Creme come back as an Allstar; Bendela was robbed! I wonder how Detox would fare, and who would be the Allstars Season 2 version of Mimi Imfurst? Penny Tration?

I think Detox would stand a very good chance at taking the crown. What tripped her up in season 5 was her overconfidence. She walked in, read all the other queens as beneath her immediately, and just didn't give it her all, at all.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FadedReality posted:

To go back a bit, when I watched the Untucked episode that went with Trixie's second elimination that really made her elimination look lovely. The thread said it was fair at the time but I disagree. Ginger's half drag was the worst and dancing was the worst and she knew she was lip syncing. Whoops, surprise, it's another "never before in drag race herstory", you're being judged as a pair! Your garbage partner who has resigned to lip syncing has caused you to be in the bottom two while you spent all of the downtime chatting and not practicing the song. It came off to us as a lovely way to try and keep Ginger on the trajectory without risking someone else who did fine at the challenge and/or runway.

It's because Ginger knew she was safe. Ru has been manufacturing the season to give us our first big girl win, and I think before she saw all the boring footage, she thought that Ginger would be the standout queen.

It'd be interesting if Ru would actually admit when mistakes were made on the show. On Survivor, Jeff Probst hypes up every single season as the best one yet, He'll finally drop the act though once some time has been put behind a season that was actually pretty lovely (like this last season rampant with misogyny and bullying), and he'll admit that it wasn't one of their best.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

caligulamprey posted:

More Alaska, best Alaska: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR0tMTUU3bo

Even the Pit Crew wants Katya crowned. Ru, you done done it.

Dear god, Jasmine is terribly unfunny.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Congratulations to Violet and Katya. I think Gnger will stand as a monument to the perils of ignoring the "Don't gently caress it up" mantra when her first interview question was 'do you regret being a bitch'

Yeah, I was actually surprised that Ru caught on to that.

I loved Ginger's response of, "Well, I'm from the south. That's just how we are." As a northerner who moved to the south 6 years ago, it's still shocking the level of shade that people will throw at each other. You just don't say those things in the north!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ironic Twist posted:

Violet's very much a white Tyra Sanchez, what happened to Tyra after she won

I think she left drag for a while to try and be a better father to her son, and she became disillusioned with all the hate she took from her appearance on drag race. I hear she doesn't do much drag these days.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

That drat Satyr posted:

Are they not going to do a reunion show this season? It seems like they did all of that stuff during the finale... and that's sad, because having a whole episode dedicated to just having all the queens forced to sit there and talk to each other was delightfully shady.

They haven't done that since season 3.

I miss it too. These pretaped "live" finales aren't very good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

About how only pageant queens are worth it?

It's funny, because pageant queens have only won the first two seasons, and none since.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Raere posted:

I'm going to see Violet and Ginger in DC next weekend. I'm not sure how I feel about Ginger being there. I wonder if they dislike each other now.

Where are they playing? Town? The Pride Festival?

The one and only drag show I've ever seen in real life was at Town, and it was Tatiana. Who I think was underrated on the show, certainly not deserving on the win, but underrated. But her live show was.... bad. The girls that came out before her put on a show. Tatiana just came out, and walked around collecting singles from the crowd while sort of lip syncing. And her look was only okay.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

Edit: Hooboy, are these hosts annoying.

They really, really are. I used to listen to them, and the one thing I noticed about them, they're not very bright either.

It's sad. I've tried to find a good gay podcast out there, and haven't come across any yet.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

caligulamprey posted:

his episode with (gay comedian/impressionist) James Adomian has a bunch of silly stuff in it (at one point Adomian does an impression of Andy Kindler doing an impression of James Adomian doing an impression of Andy Kindler), and an utterly insane Joan Rivers story:

http://nerdist.com/the-todd-glass-show-17-james-adomian/

James Admoian is super cute, and I'd totally date him.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I've been burning through Throwing Shade with Bryan Safi and Erin Gibson at lightning speed, they talk about gay and women's issues and I love them a lot. Not sure if you're looking for a non comedy podcast though.

Also Savage Lovecast is solid but also not only focused on LGBT issues and I know Dan Savage is kinda polarizing.

I love Brian Safi, but Throwing Shade is terrible.

And I also love Savage Lovecast. It's not gay though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah just take the current top twelve and run with it afaic.

I'd knock Milk and Ivy Winters out of there, and give the duo of Raven and Jujubee a third shot. They're just too awesome together.

It's interesting to see who are the most hated queens are. Serena Chacha and Mimi Imfurst are obviously down there. But Milan is a bit of a surprise down there. But it's almost like someone has it out for Madame LaQueer and Phoenix. Nothing either one of them did warrants the amount of downvotes they're getting. Hell, Madame LaQueer won a challenge.

It'd be interesting to see one of the queens on there who have since come out as trans. Who do we have: Carmen Carrera, Kenya Michaels, Sonique, Porkchop, Monica Beverly Hillz. Anyone else?

But did they actually go with the fan vote for casting last season? I mean, they knocked out Willam for loving Mimi Imfurst. That was some bullshit.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CHiRAL posted:

That page has been up for a couple of years now, it's not affiliated with the show in any way.
Willam and Alaska were at the top 2 spots last time I saw it, I wonder if Katya will still be #1 in a few months when the season hype wears off.

That would explain why some queens have 50,000 votes, and others have 4,000

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

graynull posted:

As a straight guy, the gay music videos with the hyper-sexualized and "objectified" guys are always slightly surprising at first. Makes me think about how normalized it has become for women in entertainment. I always enjoy a good perspective flip, plus the song is quite good.

Yup. Also, consider this. You hear some people saying things like, "I'm okay with you being gay, just don't shove it in my face." Then think about how often straight sexuality is shoved in the faces of everybody all the time. It's just so normalized that you don't even think about it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Andrew_1985 posted:

God, that Season 4 RuVealed was disappointing. I was expecting some Drag Queen commentary, but we just got a cheapass Popup Video with occassional Ru. I want to hear some background info from Latrice, Sharon, Chad, Wilam and even drat PhiPhi.

Right? And then Logo had Sharon do a recap of the episode on their website. I was looking forward to some inside dirt and throwing some shade. Nope. It was a literal, and very basic, recap of the episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Also, this bizarre interview in which we learn maybe RuPaul let a man drown?

Oh yea, Ru was definitely off his rocker in that interview. I was actually a little appalled at how rude he was, this was not the Ru that we've been lead to believe is all about positivity and love.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CHiRAL posted:

So I read the interview now and all I can say is: Have you guys never listened to his and Michelle's podcast?

No. Should I? I'm not convinced there is a single good gay podcast out there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

For the life of me I could not place who the queen with the cum all around her mouth was.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

oliven posted:

Someone on ONTD (don't judge me) made a post about possible contestants on AllStars 2 based on their activity (or lack thereof) on social media.

For the lazy, the list of queens is as follows:

Alyssa Edwards
Alaska Thunderfuck
Katya
Detox
Adore Delano
Tatianna
Roxxxy Andrews
Phi Phi O'Hara
Coco Montrese
Kelly Mantle
Lineysha Sparx

God I want this to be real so bad.

Detox, Tati, Roxxy, Phi Phi, Coco. They really want to make sure that there is going to be as much drama as possible this season, huh! Count me in!

Alaska, Katya, and Adore, that's your final three right there. Please god, no teams though this season.

And good for them to give Kelly Mantle another chance to prove just how boring she is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fantastisk posted:

That's really sweet :3:

Also, redditors have all but confirmed the cast of All Stars 2 and are fairly certain about the cast of season 8. I haven't checked the AS2 list yet, I'm not sure if I want to know!

The predictions for the All Stars 2 cast mostly makes sense, although one season has an overabundance of representation.

I'm not going to bother with checking out with the suspected cast for season 8 though. I've looked the last few seasons, and those guys over there on reddit are obsessed with some of these queens in an unhealthy way. Every season they pick one or two queens who they just know who are going to take the whole thing, when in reality they end up spinning out by at the very latest the Snatch Game.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Watrick posted:

I watched a few episodes of season 7. When does it start to get good?

When it ended?

Katja was really the only good part of season 7, and she had more of a presence in the revamped, more real, and more boring version of Untucked.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

This lines right up with everything heard about Willam. He is a total and absolute professional, works incredibly hard, and really appreciates his fans because he knows that's where his business comes from. He can also party right there with the best of them, but it's not the partying that has caused the tension between him and World of Wonder, as WoW has attempted to hint. It's precisely because of his professional behavior, in that he has no problem calling out the unprofessional poo poo that some of the staff at WoW try and put their cast members through. I've heard similar issues with all of the shows that they produce, and not just Drag Race.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

spite house posted:

He was VERY relieved at not having to talk about a game show. VERY. Was, however, p indignant about how poorly said game show has treated its folks. His conversation with Violet, as recounted by him to us, was heartbreaking.

What was Violet's experience with the show?

I mean, just a couple of the things that I've heard. Sharon Needles complained about the food on set, basically consisting of lovely lunchmeat and white bread. As a vegetarian, she said they had nothing out there for her, and she lived on bread and mayo during the filming of season 4.

Comedian Julie Goldman was on an episode of Drag U, and she was absolutely livid with World of Wonder. It's been a few years since she talked about her experience on the show, so I don't remember exactly, but it was something along the lines of being locked in a small room by herself without a chair, water to drink, or access to a bathroom for hours on end while being told she would be needed on set any minute. When she talked about her experiences on the podcast Gay Pimpin' (now called Gayest of All Time), World of Wonder absolutely lost their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

In case anyone still hasn't realized how sickening Phi Phi is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCAxoYEn4WD/

Has her personality improved at all? I really haven't been following. Last I heard, she was still going around milking her rivalry with Sharon, autographing photos saying, "gently caress Sharon"

• Locked thread