Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Battle Creek is CBS's newest cop drama. But unlike most of the cop dramas that come off of CBS's production line, this one comes by way of Vince Gilligan, who wrote the pilot script a decade ago, when Breaking Bad was still a twinkle in his eye. CBS passed on the show when he first pitched it but were happy to resurrect the project given his recent acclaim.

Now that said, beyond an exec producer title and the pilot script itself, Gilligan probably won't have much creative input on the show. So you'll have to settle for House's David Shore as showrunner instead. As to the cast...

Josh Duhamel as Special Agent Milton Chamberlain
That Guy Who Totally Isn't Timothy Olyphant I Swear stars as a straight-laced FBI Agent who is sent to assist the underfunded police department of Battle Creek, Michigan in cleaning up their streets. In order to get more familiar with his surroundings, Chamberlain asks to be partnered up with...

Dean Winters as Detective Russ Agnew
You probably best know Winters as either the Allstate mayhem guy or Dennis Duffy from 30 Rock. He plays Russ Agnew, a veteran, street-smart detective who reluctantly shows Chamberlain the ropes in Battle Creek. The cast also includes other members of the department including...

Kal Penn as Detective Fontanelle White
Expect him to leave the show via suicide in 2017 to join the Clinton administration.

Janet McTeer as Commander Guziewicz
The veteran Emmy-nominated actress plays the head of the Battle Creek police force.

Aubrey Dollar as Holly Dale
Holly is an office assistant who immediately has the hots for Agent Chamberlain.

Edward Fordham Jr. as Detective Aaron Funkhauser
If you hadn't noticed by now, Gilligan clearly had fun naming all of these characters.

Recurring cast members include Justified's Damon Herriman and DTTB's Liza Lapira as additional Battle Creek detectives and every TV show ever's Patton Oswald as Battle Creek's mayor.

If the show's goofy buddy cop trappings seem like they've been done before, it's because they have been. But in spite of that, the show has received some fairly positive reviews so far. It's currently sitting at a score of 74 on Metacritic.

Here's a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I grew up twenty minutes from Battle Creek, so I'm looking forward to seeing a show set in my part of the world.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I don't really have time for a competent procedural, but I like a lot of the names involved in this and the reviews have been positive so I hope it will make the jump to serialized story telling come season two and I can jump in then, ala Justified. You guys will have to let us know if so.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Okay, defective baby monitor bugging is pretty cool.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is like a remake of Hot Fuzz.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I hope Chamberlain getting served dessert by everyone he talks to is a running gag.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Recording this but watched about 10 minutes, it didn't really grab my attention. Wasn't overtly funny but seemed like it should be, guess I'll have a better idea when I watch the full episode.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I enjoyed it.

I did feel the show went a bit overboard with making GBS threads on Agnew, while sucking on Milt's dick.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

I enjoyed it.

I did feel the show went a bit overboard with making GBS threads on Agnew, while sucking on Milt's dick.

That's kind of the show's point, though. Milt is Superman, while Agnew is Spiderman. Everyone loves Superman, while the universe constantly craps on Spiderman.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

johntfs posted:

That's kind of the show's point, though. Milt is Superman, while Agnew is Spiderman. Everyone loves Superman, while the universe constantly craps on Spiderman.

But Spidey still accomplishes poo poo. The odds are against him but he does prevail in the end. Here, he's just slapped down with a monster dick scene after scene. You think you're good at anything? Nope, you're poo poo. You think you might have a good idea or two? Nope, they're all rubbish. You think you're going to accomplish anything? Lol, no.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Was super cheesy and I don't know if I want to watch it again but there was some good banter too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Megazver posted:

But Spidey still accomplishes poo poo. The odds are against him but he does prevail in the end. Here, he's just slapped down with a monster dick scene after scene. You think you're good at anything? Nope, you're poo poo. You think you might have a good idea or two? Nope, they're all rubbish. You think you're going to accomplish anything? Lol, no.

Except his was absolutely right about the crime.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

howe_sam posted:

Except his was absolutely right about the crime.

He was dead on about the shooter being inexperienced and emotional (obvious from the bullet spray) and partially right about it being drug related but for the most part was impulsive and jumped to the wrong conclusions throughout the episode. This show's strength is it puts you in the position of trying to identify with one character or the other but the characters are so unambiguous that many people probably can't identify with either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, who the gently caress shot at them? They could be playing a long game on that one and it was related to Milt's earlier history or something, I suppose, but I suspect we will never hear about this again.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Maybe the shooters from last week were a preemptive strike by the forces of Big Syrup.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Am I the only one bracing/hoping that Milton is unconventional and hosed up on a really deep level?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Of course Kumar is a pothead.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Of course Kumar is a pothead.

That's Detective Kumar to you.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'm pretty sure in real life my extended cousins are the criminal element of Battle Creek, MI, so this show has just become a must watch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ep2 kicked me off the fence, I'm enjoying this show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The syrup cartel boss's goon was Choo-Choo on Justified.

Though when are they going to talk about the control Big Cereal has over local politics?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Probably when they have to deal with a serial cereal killer.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

howe_sam posted:

The syrup cartel boss's goon was Choo-Choo on Justified.

Ahh, thanks. I didn't full recognize him without the slow, dimwitted southern accent.

This show is actually pretty decent for a network procedural. It's quirky and fun, just compelling enough to hold my attention for an hour.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Good dog cookie yes you are.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mayhem being just an out of control "bad" cop is hilarious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They kept saying Mayhem lied and shaded the truth. What did he lie about?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Shame that no one watches this because I think it's better than it comes off if you only see one episode, especially the first episode which wasn't that good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

wormil posted:

Shame that no one watches this because I think it's better than it comes off if you only see one episode, especially the first episode which wasn't that good.

I dunno. My complaints still stand. The storytelling is kind of bizarre, with its retard rogue cop who somehow made senior detective before the show starts and baby jesus cop.

It's like the show is a meta-commentary on what happens if a character from a USA Network show gets plopped into, I dunno, Breaking Bad and doesn't realize it. Like Veronica Mars tries to investigate a latino gang to help her friend, using her usual combination of sassy banter and clever mind tricks, doesn't realize her reality warped, gets gangraped and buried alive in the desert by Los Zetas. Or Castle tries to get his friend the mayor to get him assigned to the police to hang out with Beckett, get hit by a restraint order for sexual harassment, then goes to jail for corruption. It's just loving weird as gently caress.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Haha, what the gently caress.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This show is still on and its okay. I can't believe how much they have wasted Dewey Crowe's formidable talents by not using him :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

This show is still on and its okay. I can't believe how much they have wasted Dewey Crowe's formidable talents by not using him :smith:

Literally cancelled a week ago.

• Locked thread