Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Just got out of tech school, been at my first duty station about a month... gonna make 2 years in service later this week. Linguist problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
*yawn*

I only met one ABM who didn't hit the 2 year mark while still in training.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Where at?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I finished school after about a year and most people were pretty baffled. Im sorry you had to be in aetc for 2 years :(

I've reverted back to my high school self of not giving a poo poo about health. I haven't worked out outside of a few shop pt sessions in like 2 weeks and I won't exercise at all this week. For dinner tonight I had greasy steak, peach cobbler, and apple pie. There were some token vegetables but they don't cover the fat, greasy shame. I also vacuum poptarts out of the shop snack bar with my fat mouth. Why give a poo poo if all you do is sit in a chair all day err day

To top it off I've started playing D&D :coal:

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

terrez posted:

I finished school after about a year and most people were pretty baffled. Im sorry you had to be in aetc for 2 years :(

I've reverted back to my high school self of not giving a poo poo about health. I haven't worked out outside of a few shop pt sessions in like 2 weeks and I won't exercise at all this week. For dinner tonight I had greasy steak, peach cobbler, and apple pie. There were some token vegetables but they don't cover the fat, greasy shame. I also vacuum poptarts out of the shop snack bar with my fat mouth. Why give a poo poo if all you do is sit in a chair all day err day

Sounds like you're doing everything right to me. Definitely roll a monk if its 5th edition.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

terrez posted:

I didn't work out at all between my last 2 pt tests, smoke like a chimney, and ate pretty much nothing but Domino's, Chinese takeout, and Hot Pockets.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I made blackberry cobbler, it's loving dope

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Put that inside of my face

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Kpro wants to be a bear.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I run too much for that

Made some white chocolate peanut butter bark today, turned out alright

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I need to start posting my cooking in the thread.

Here's some chocolate-chip-oreo-no-bake cookies that I made. Basically the Inception of cookies, if you will:

What they look like compared to the "regular" chocolate-chip-oreo cookies:

And here's a tagine I made a little while ago...lamb I think, with some preserved lemons, chickpeas, and diced tomatoes:

E: No this one is beef, the plated picture is lamb. Same basic recipe though.

Plated on some couscous with some mint and cilantro:

And since it's GiP, have an Old Fashioned:

Bulleit Rye since that's the only Rye my grocery store carries and I'm lazy.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

iyaayas01 posted:

Bulleit Rye since that's the only Rye my grocery store carries and I'm lazy.

Where do they sell whiskey in the grocery store? I can cut my shopping in half, it's not alcoholism it's efficiency.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wild T posted:

Where do they sell whiskey in the grocery store? I can cut my shopping in half, it's not alcoholism it's efficiency.

Ohio

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nevada, California

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nevada, California

Arizona, Texas

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Arizona, Texas

Las Vegas, New Mexico

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
If you don't have a crockpot you need to get one. I spent the last year in Korea cooking drat near everything to host a dinner out of a crockpot for my shop. Including thanksgiving turkey. Just like everyone needs a dog, you need a crockpot.

I'd post a picture of beef ragu from it but there's none left. Get a pot, crock that poo poo.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My go to for crockpot cooking is pulled buffalo chicken. Super useful for chili as well. Throw some poo poo in, come back hours later to something amazing.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Also good for soups and stews.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
This probably belongs in the idiots thread, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

How dumb would it be to try and commission as a flight nurse in the Air Guard? Getting the gently caress out of the Army relatively soon and going back to school for my BSN, but I've been looking at ANG as a way to make a couple extra grand a year plus a neat little pension at the end of the rainbow. One of the only reasons I'm even considering it is because it looks like there are slots with the 166th Airlift out of New Castle, Delaware which is maybe an hour and a half away from Baltimore. That and from what I've read the promotion rates are loving hilarious, so again with the pension thing. Pretty much everything else would be icing on the cake as far as flight certification and experience goes.

That's assuming I can get selected, and whatever my particular flavor of colorblindness is doesn't gently caress me out of it from the get-go.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

A Kpro posted:

My go to for crockpot cooking is pulled buffalo chicken.

My brother in law made this for the holidays and it was basically like crack.

Between his chicken and my carnitas I'm pretty sure we made the family collectively gain at least 25 or 30 lbs.

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

This probably belongs in the idiots thread, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

How dumb would it be to try and commission as a flight nurse in the Air Guard? Getting the gently caress out of the Army relatively soon and going back to school for my BSN, but I've been looking at ANG as a way to make a couple extra grand a year plus a neat little pension at the end of the rainbow. One of the only reasons I'm even considering it is because it looks like there are slots with the 166th Airlift out of New Castle, Delaware which is maybe an hour and a half away from Baltimore. That and from what I've read the promotion rates are loving hilarious, so again with the pension thing. Pretty much everything else would be icing on the cake as far as flight certification and experience goes.

That's assuming I can get selected, and whatever my particular flavor of colorblindness is doesn't gently caress me out of it from the get-go.

I can't speak to being a flight nurse but broadly speaking there's nothing dumb about going Air Guard, especially if you've already got AD time in and are looking for that nice little extra money at 65, and also especially if you're commissioning. I would say make sure to check out the unit but this will happen anyway because joining a Guard unit off the street is a lot like rushing a frat (once you get your foot in the door in the first place)...mostly for similar reasons, they want to make sure you aren't a complete tool since they're going to be stuck with you until you separate however many years down the road.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll be dropping my paperwork this weekend. It'll probably be shredded Monday.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

How dumb would it be to try and commission as a flight nurse in the Air Guard?
What in particular are you worried about? Flight Med skews older and more mature, especially in the Guard. It can be hard to get in, but the crews tend to be pretty tight-knit. You will have to deploy and be on the road a lot, and will probably end up pulling AMCT duty in an AOC at some point.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

What in particular are you worried about? Flight Med skews older and more mature, especially in the Guard. It can be hard to get in, but the crews tend to be pretty tight-knit. You will have to deploy and be on the road a lot, and will probably end up pulling AMCT duty in an AOC at some point.

I'm just worried about the usual stuff, like why in the name of gently caress would I want to go back in under any capacity. Then I think about how it's the Air Force instead of the Army, O vs E, it's the Guard, it'll be a flight job, AND as a cherry on top it's medical. Just trying to walk other people with different perspectives through my logic and see if there are any horrifically big holes I can't see.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I'm just worried about the usual stuff, like why in the name of gently caress would I want to go back in under any capacity. Then I think about how it's the Air Force instead of the Army, O vs E, it's the Guard, it'll be a flight job, AND as a cherry on top it's medical. Just trying to walk other people with different perspectives through my logic and see if there are any horrifically big holes I can't see.

If deployment duration/frequency is a concern I'd try and ping some people in the unit to figure out what their tempo is like, since it could vary from an AD unit compared to the Guard.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

If deployment duration/frequency is a concern I'd try and ping some people in the unit to figure out what their tempo is like, since it could vary from an AD unit compared to the Guard.

So long as it doesn't completely overwhelm the rest of my life, I've got no problem with it necessarily being more than the one weekend and one week bullshit you hear people parrot. Granted this whole thing is a thought exercise for the next couple years until I'm probably a senior, doesn't seem like much of a point in reaching out to healthcare recruiters or units until I'm actually on the final lap.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Found out one of my tech school classmates is getting out this week. I'm a little jealous but I guess it's my fault for not jumping on the VSP train last year. Soon enough though...

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
This Week In The ANG:

1. Ex-MSgt, now Tech (for multiple multiple DUI's, stalking/harassment) has commanders interview, tells people he's going to bring a gun, gets the squadron put on lockdown, get's patted down and then banned from the base
2. SSgt gets told multiple (8?) times by techs and msgts that has going to be the dickwatcher for the 64 person piss test. Tells everyone that he refuses to do it since he's done it before. Decides to drive home and take a nap instead
3. Multiple people told not to come to drill due to dental forms not being completed. One doesn't answer his phone/texts the entire time.
4. PT failures galore
5. 4 hour briefing turns into 2-day-long clusterfuck that doesn't get completed.

~Aim High~

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

invision posted:

This Week In The ANG:

1. Ex-MSgt, now Tech (for multiple multiple DUI's, stalking/harassment) has commanders interview, tells people he's going to bring a gun, gets the squadron put on lockdown, get's patted down and then banned from the base
2. SSgt gets told multiple (8?) times by techs and msgts that has going to be the dickwatcher for the 64 person piss test. Tells everyone that he refuses to do it since he's done it before. Decides to drive home and take a nap instead
3. Multiple people told not to come to drill due to dental forms not being completed. One doesn't answer his phone/texts the entire time.
4. PT failures galore
5. 4 hour briefing turns into 2-day-long clusterfuck that doesn't get completed.

~Aim High~

It's like everyone here told you TO STAY THE gently caress OUT OF THE GODDAMED MILITARY

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
And the whole time all of you were still getting a paycheck from Uncle Sam

Goddamn I seriously need to join the Guard

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

And the whole time all of you were still getting a paycheck from Uncle Sam

Air National Guard: Skip drill to do heroin with your girlfriend, show up in ABU's with some fresh rear end J's, get an honorable and keep your bonus. It's not science fiction, it's what we do.

(this is a real thing that happened.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

invision posted:

Air National Guard: Skip drill to do heroin with your girlfriend, show up in ABU's with some fresh rear end J's, get an honorable and keep your bonus. It's not science fiction, it's what we do.

(this is a real thing that happened.)

More details plueeeezzzzz.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Security Forces should be sterilized upon enlistment.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

invision posted:

This Week In The ANG:

4. PT failures galore

~Aim High~

If there is one thing the Reserve cares about it's 2813s and PT tests.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Ckwiesr posted:

If there is one thing the Reserve cares about it's 2813s and PT tests.

The 2813 thing is kind of hilarious since you can't just go on base and get it done. Have to go to a private practice dentist somewhere on your insurance to get a box checked on a form. Kinda dumb imo - if they're gonna require something they should provide it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

invision posted:

The 2813 thing is kind of hilarious since you can't just go on base and get it done. Have to go to a private practice dentist somewhere on your insurance to get a box checked on a form. Kinda dumb imo - if they're gonna require something they should provide it.
You can just have the dentist at the base sign off on your dental stuff. Of course you'd be stupid to rely on him to make sure your teeth are actually healthy. A guy I work with didn't go to a private dentist for years because that would have cut into his anime and video games funds, then one day he realizes he's got a massive hole in one of his teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

You can just have the dentist at the base sign off on your dental stuff. Of course you'd be stupid to rely on him to make sure your teeth are actually healthy. A guy I work with didn't go to a private dentist for years because that would have cut into his anime and video games funds, then one day he realizes he's got a massive hole in one of his teeth.

No, I mean, we don't have dentists.

• Locked thread