Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Yes, buy it.

On a different subject - I'm looking for turbo upgrades for the 2011+ 958 Cayenne Turbo and coming up short. Does anyone know which turbos are used on the 958, and any firms that are doing either turbine wheel upgrades or whole turbo replacements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tremek posted:

Yes, buy it.

On a different subject - I'm looking for turbo upgrades for the 2011+ 958 Cayenne Turbo and coming up short. Does anyone know which turbos are used on the 958, and any firms that are doing either turbine wheel upgrades or whole turbo replacements?

Dropping the GL?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tremek posted:

Yes, buy it.

Well, avoid EvoMS. My fathers 997TT has their EVT700 kit and it was nothing but a mess.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

blk posted:

Dropping the GL?

Possibly. We took it to the track for the first time this week (first Club Clash - bracket racing - of the year) and it ran an underwhelming 16.3 @ 85, because Bandimere Speedway (5800ft and usually 7500-9000 DA) is on the moon. So now wife is itching to have her '06 Cayenne Turbo S back which at least ran 14.5 @ 97, and frankly if we're going to do this, I'd rather go big or go home. For most bracket racing 14.00+ is the 'Hot Rod' class where you're up against everything from PT Cruisers (19.2 at 68 baby) to stock Camaro SSs and last-gen Mustang GTs (14.5 at 95 or so). If you run 13.99 to 10.50, however, you're in with the big boys ('Top Street').

OK, so, most cars that run 12s at sea level will be in the 13s up here, that's good enough, right? Well, not really - being in the 13s is no man's land, especially high 13s as one day you might run a 13.8 and the next, if it's hotter or more humid, you might run a 14.0 - and get disqualified as Top Street cars MUST run at least 13.99. To make matters worse one of the fun events is called King Street where you have to run at least 12.75.

The current leading candidates would be the ML63 which has a plethora of tunes (Alpha's tune alone, no joke, takes that car to 700hp/830tq, which is insane) and then possibly a '11+ CT, but oddly I can't find much in the way of crazy tune results or turbo upgrades for it, which is puzzling. Surely there are other retards who want to go real loving fast in a 5200lb SUV? :confused:

Yes, I know, this is the dumbest of problems, but I love it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Arione posted:

question now is do I go fabspeed,n/a intake and exhaust or TPC racing turbo?

Tread lightly with the TPC turbo kit. If you live near their shop and have them do the install I've heard several people having a lot of success that way. Otherwise, hell no. Their parts often don't fit, the tune can have tons of issues. If they're doing the work it's usually fine and I'm sure there's a lot of behind the scenes bullshit we don't hear about.

I don't know why the aftermarket hasn't picked up any N/A Porsche platforms outside of TPC but there has to be a reason. I think Porsche does such a good job of segmenting cars according to performance and price point that any money you'd spend on upgrades would be better spent getting the next model up.

On a separate note it's absolutely insane what people will spend to do an engine swap to net 80-100hp. A lot of DFI Cayman guys are swapping in 3.8 X51 engines for $25-30k. Nevermind the 4.1L Sharkwerks upgrade for the 997.2 GT3 making ~530hp. I read $60k for that one but who knows. Unless you're starting with a 996TT there really is no such thing as a free lunch with Porsches.

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, avoid EvoMS. My fathers 997TT has their EVT700 kit and it was nothing but a mess.

I wouldn't write off EvoMS. They're well respected in the community from what I can tell. Did they do the EVT700 install on your dad's 997TT or did another shop do it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They did, he lives near their shop in Tempe.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Fair enough, no excuses there. What kind of problems did the car have?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Visiting my parents and they are offering to sell me their 997.1 C4S 6 speed with the power upgrade. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread the huge caviat here is that it's a cabriolet. Makes sense in the tropical paradise they live in but not in the city where I live. Flip side of course is how cheap they will sell it to me and the knowledge that the car has been a garage queen its whole life.

Would you buy a black 15k mile 2006 C4S cab for SIGNIFCANTLY below market value, or wait till a good 997.2 GTS pops up on the market and just accept that it will be a lot more expensive?
If you're concerned about the roof, why not hunt down a hardtop for it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Fair enough, no excuses there. What kind of problems did the car have?

They couldn't get the car tuned properly, blamed parts on a car with 400mi on it / threw parts at it, still couldn't make the advertised power by over 100whp, etc. Massively (2+ months) over the initial time budget. It ended up going to a shop in California that tuned it.

Perhaps they are different now, this was years ago.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

They couldn't get the car tuned properly, blamed parts on a car with 400mi on it / threw parts at it, still couldn't make the advertised power by over 100whp, etc. Massively (2+ months) over the initial time budget. It ended up going to a shop in California that tuned it.

Perhaps they are different now, this was years ago.

holy gently caress, ill stick with fabspeed

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Arione posted:

holy gently caress, ill stick with fabspeed

Funny, they also blamed the lack of power on the car running the stage 2 Euro pipe over the Fabspeed, despite it being a more freeflowing exhaust. :)

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

picked up a 911 997.1 6 spd, sports chrono, PCM navi, shes got it all, full fabspeed intake, headers, exhaust, cat bypass x pipe, makes 390 HP, and it isnt even an S model.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Get the image a touch bigger so I can tell you if the clear coat is good or not :) :)

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I almost bought another pcar but bought a BMW instead because it's faster. :( I'm a little sad about this.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Tremek posted:

I almost bought another pcar but bought a BMW instead because it's faster. :( I'm a little sad about this.

clearly the p car was only a early base boxster, bmw's are slow as poo poo

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Did this guy just cover his missing spoiler with mesh?

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5077331209.html

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
All of you guys getting handed Porsches from your parents are driving me crazy :(

I doubt I'll be able to one within the next 25+ yrs, but I come in here just to dream

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DrakeriderCa posted:

All of you guys getting handed Porsches from your parents are driving me crazy :(

I doubt I'll be able to one within the next 25+ yrs, but I come in here just to dream

That makes two of us, man. :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a durametric enthusiast cable. Is there a way to code with this cable? It's a 997.1TT.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 24, 2015

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a durametric enthusiast cable. Is there a way to code with this cable? It's a 997.1TT.

You mean like a Cobb Accessport? No. It can do things like clear the service reminders and an airbag warning if you install a racing seat but it cannot load new fuel/timing maps.

When did you get the 997.1 TT? How do you like it? I'm going back and forth between a 997.1 TT (fast) and 997.2 C2S (better tech/features and simpler engine) at the moment.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

I bought an 08 Cayman S for 38k after tax, that's like optioned Camry money

LIVE THE DREAM you can do it

buy the camry

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

thechalkoutline posted:

I bought an 08 Cayman S for 38k after tax, that's like optioned Camry money

LIVE THE DREAM you can do it

buy the camry

There's an 02 on kijiji for like $30k right now plz stop tempting me

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Dont look at California craiglist then .

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

You mean like a Cobb Accessport? No. It can do things like clear the service reminders and an airbag warning if you install a racing seat but it cannot load new fuel/timing maps.

When did you get the 997.1 TT? How do you like it? I'm going back and forth between a 997.1 TT (fast) and 997.2 C2S (better tech/features and simpler engine) at the moment.

I just take care of it for my father... :) It's a 2007 with 12k miles on it and some goodies (65mm turbos, race europipe with stock tips, etc).

By coding I meant setting things like alarm chirp on lock, which I guess you need their Professional cable kit for. I replaced the battery and it triggered literally every fault in the system, which the cable I have worked for disabling.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Honest question, what is the deal with the climate control toggle switches in the 996 and 997 wearing so quickly?

From a 2007 with 60k miles: http://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_lC8WGpKeW8G_600x450.jpg

From a 2006 with 42k miles: http://images.craigslist.org/00Y0Y_1Tlnf6a5C1Z_600x450.jpg

Is this an indicator of the cars being owned by a gorilla unable to control his/her own strength when touching superior German plastics or proof that Porsche needs to get its poo poo together?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whenever I see this on a keyboard it's someone who obsessively uses hand cream. Whatever poo poo is in there likes to eat off the paint most manufacturers use on plastic parts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Whenever I see this on a keyboard it's someone who obsessively uses hand cream. Whatever poo poo is in there likes to eat off the paint most manufacturers use on plastic parts.

My Subaru has basically no writing on any of the switches from the obsessive hand-cream user who used to own it, and that looks basically the same to me.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
By 2006 has this problem on the fan controller, I think it stems from the paint being a rubberized finish on a smooth plastic part.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
My 2006 has the same issue. The fan switch was already well worn when I bought it with 45k miles.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

ColHannibal posted:

By 2006 has this problem on the fan controller, I think it stems from the paint being a rubberized finish on a smooth plastic part.

Sure blame it on the paint, not your obsessive compulsive moisturizing ;-*

Am I correct that fixing the switch requires replacing the climate control panel?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

My family's '06 also has rough looking switches. They already had most of them replaced but the HVAC still looks lovely.

Definitely something wrong with the material.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 5, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had about 40k on my '09 when I sold it, and the switches were fine.

I'm not sure this person understands what the car is for. How does all that change stay put?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Motronic posted:

It actually started happening to my vehicle when I cleaned the interior with some harsh poo poo. The rubberized coating just sloughed right off the plastic underneath.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

Sure blame it on the paint, not your obsessive compulsive moisturizing ;-*

Am I correct that fixing the switch requires replacing the climate control panel?

I don't think it's worth it, rubberized paint will always do this the second there is an imperfection introduced like a scratch.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ColHannibal posted:

My similar vintage Audi has the same problem and likely shares the same superior german soft touch plastics

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!

Kellefornia posted:

This thread contains too many new cars. Let's bring it back to the original air cooled Porsche.

OK, sure. My baby of 4+ years. Absolutely love every second behind the wheel.

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!
I'm an idiot. Here's said pic of P-car.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BabyArm posted:

OK you can't just post something that beautiful and leave us hanging like that. :stare:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MrChips posted:

OK you can't just post something that beautiful and leave us hanging like that. :stare:

Looks like a Singer from the quality of the paint job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

BabyArm posted:

Beautiful. Year and specs?