Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

got off on a technicality posted:

Good one! It's a mystery to me how despite that the backseat remains as cramped ever

As I've heard it it's slowly becoming closer and closer to mid-engined which I imagine is what's keeping the rear space the same. If you open up a new 911's rear engine hatch you're pretty much greeted entirely by plastic iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder how big of a deal this really is on the newer cars. The gearing on my 981CS was the same as it is on the GT4, and although it was definitely kind of silly, it wasn't the tragedy reviewers seem to be making it out to be. Sounds like the new GTS/GT4 are similar, although have the benefit of more torque presumably.

I mean...if you can deal with that gearing great. If you can pay to have it.......let's say fixed....also great.

I'm very concerned with the market Porsche is chasing right now. Turning 911s into bastardized GTs, maybe heading for the same and also doing weird things on their clearly best platform.........

Maybe I will just keep holding on to my 85.5 944.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I mean...if you can deal with that gearing great. If you can pay to have it.......let's say fixed....also great.

I'm very concerned with the market Porsche is chasing right now. Turning 911s into bastardized GTs, maybe heading for the same and also doing weird things on their clearly best platform.........

Maybe I will just keep holding on to my 85.5 944.

Just went to my local cars and coffee and...now I'm looking at 80s 911s again.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Picked up the old man 986 Boxster S that I posted about earlier. Think it's going to be a fun summer.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
drat that thing is clean

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

love that blue

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's a really nice spec with that steering wheel and the hard back seats with the added bolstering.

Post more pics but that looks to be a huge winner.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is my favorite exterior/interior combo that porsche has.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bajaha posted:

That's a really nice spec with that steering wheel and the hard back seats with the added bolstering.

Agreed, the adaptive seats are definitely a cut above the regular. Nice score!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Why was the 982 generation so short? I see it’s officially 2012 - 2016 but all the 2012 box stars I find are 981s, so it’s really 3 years? Anything to look out for on 981s?

I’m fine with the 911 getting bigger if it doesn’t lose the feel in the process, but it looks like it’s well on it’s way in both aspects.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

blk posted:

Why was the 982 generation so short? I see it’s officially 2012 - 2016 but all the 2012 box stars I find are 981s, so it’s really 3 years? Anything to look out for on 981s?

I’m fine with the 911 getting bigger if it doesn’t lose the feel in the process, but it looks like it’s well on it’s way in both aspects.

The 987.2 was 2009-2012 and was produced in fairly limited numbers mainly because it was released in to a global recession. 2013-2016 was the 981 generation, with the Boxster being produced in 2013-2016, Cayman 2014-2016. In general the 981 generation cars are super reliable mechanically. One thing to look out for is the door panels: apparently they like to delaminate/unglue and it's not covered under any warranty.

Gorgeous Boxster btw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Gorgeous Boxster btw.

Indeed. That thing is clean and well optioned.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cars are supposed to be fun, who cares if they perform well if the way that they get to that point is boring.

Exactly this. My daily driver gets up to felony speed so quickly and so smoothly, there’s no joy in it. That’s why I bought an old Porsche.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Residency Evil posted:

Just went to my local cars and coffee and...now I'm looking at 80s 911s again.

:getin:

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Bajaha posted:

Was too busy driving around yesterday and forgot to grab some pics. Will today

It's been years since I drove a Boxster, and I really forgot how much fun they are. Just bombing around, laughing

another loser fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 5, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

another loser posted:

It's been years since I drove a Boxster, and I really forgot how much fun they are. Just bombing around, laughing

That go-kart feel is so much fun. I borrow my buddy's base model every once in a while to get my fix.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

another loser posted:

Picked up the old man 986 Boxster S that I posted about earlier. Think it's going to be a fun summer.

I'm digging that. More info? Frunk option sticker?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

slidebite posted:

I'm digging that. More info? Frunk option sticker?

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0CB29873U661002/

Dirty pic from yesterday

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

https://www.holtmotorsports.com/carimages.php?vin=121253

versus a new Cayman GTS 4.0.

:negative:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks super clean, all records, all keys, PCA dork owned it........

What do they want for it? I bet it's a lot. And I bet it's probably worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Looks super clean, all records, all keys, PCA dork owned it........

What do they want for it? I bet it's a lot. And I bet it's probably worth it.

69k. :nice:

That seems like a lot, but man, if it isn't tempting. Apparently this place charges a 5-10kish premium for sorted cars. I have no idea if that car is "worth" it.

This car: https://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory/1991-Porsche-Carrera-2-Coupe-/410809 is 83k.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 5, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The cayman has the engine in the correct place. That exterior color is very rad though, is amethyst an option on any modern models?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 5, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I dunno, mid 50s seems to be around what clean ones are going for, and that's definitely clean. If they just dumped $12k into it that you can't see (Id' wan to see the work invoices for it) it could be completely resealed and ready to go without needing a drat thing for years. It really comes down to what work was done and is there anything else that needs doing. What I'm saying is....maybe that's a reasonable price (not private party, but at a place like that).

The biggest problem I'd have with that car is I'd feel bad running it as a daily because it just looks like way too much of a time capsule.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jebus. I didn't know air cooled had gone that crazy. I laughed when my cousin said his RS America appraised for over $120k last year... I'm not laughing now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It was worse 5 or 6 years ago. The prices have come back DOWN again.

Basically everyone wanted 356es, so they became worth too much, so everyone looking for an old porsche moved on to 911s and inflated their prices nearly the same way.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

The cayman has the engine in the correct place. That exterior color is very rad though, is amethyst an option on any modern models?

Yup, although part of me wants that vintage driving experience of paying 10k for a top end rebuild.

Motronic posted:

I dunno, mid 50s seems to be around what clean ones are going for, and that's definitely clean. If they just dumped $12k into it that you can't see (Id' wan to see the work invoices for it) it could be completely resealed and ready to go without needing a drat thing for years. It really comes down to what work was done and is there anything else that needs doing. What I'm saying is....maybe that's a reasonable price (not private party, but at a place like that).

The biggest problem I'd have with that car is I'd feel bad running it as a daily because it just looks like way too much of a time capsule.

Motronic posted:

It was worse 5 or 6 years ago. The prices have come back DOWN again.

Basically everyone wanted 356es, so they became worth too much, so everyone looking for an old porsche moved on to 911s and inflated their prices nearly the same way.

Yeah, but this would be a weekend backroads car/occasional car for driving to work on nice days. Part of me is still hoping for the air-cooled 911 market to drop a bit more, but man it's been less than a month since I sold my Spyder and I already miss having a fun car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, but this would be a weekend backroads car/occasional car for driving to work on nice days. Part of me is still hoping for the air-cooled 911 market to drop a bit more, but man it's been less than a month since I sold my Spyder and I already miss having a fun car.

Anything is possible, but you know how that goes.

Looks like a car worth getting PPId to me. Especially if you're good with keeping it up/not doing the stupid poo poo I do (yes, I do have a set of blizzaks for my 944).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I could figure out how to come up with $50k for a second car, I'd be driving out there to look at it right now.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

another loser posted:

Same scheme as my 2003 S I sold a million years ago:

And yeah, they are fun.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Anything is possible, but you know how that goes.

Looks like a car worth getting PPId to me. Especially if you're good with keeping it up/not doing the stupid poo poo I do (yes, I do have a set of blizzaks for my 944).

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If I could figure out how to come up with $50k for a second car, I'd be driving out there to look at it right now.

Just got back from checking it out. Condition is fantastic, as expected. The paint is great aside from some very minor stone chips below the bumper. Otherwise it's pristine. They're asking $69k, which from looking at the air cooled market, doesn't seem absolutely insane, although definitely top of the market. Still, $70k is a ton of money to pay for a loud car with "poor" air conditioning that will be a stretch for my wife and I to take say, for a long weekend trip away. Maybe if I was at the point in my life where a 4th or 5th car was justifiable, I'd go for it.

I think I might be back to the idea of buying a Cayman GTS 4.0 and/or maybe some sort of 997, depending on how much I end up hating the idea of depreciation.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 9, 2020

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Bought a 996, would benefit from new brakes. Easy as any other car to DIY? Any funny sensors or other over engineered German stuff involved? Recommended parts or just Powerstop?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Easier than others because it's monoblock calipers. You can swap pads without even removing the caliper, they'll come out the top. Porsche recommends you replace the caliper bolts every time you touch them but they're not torque to yield soooo... :ssh:

There are sensors at each wheel that you can reuse if you haven't worn them that far, but they can be brittle and they're relatively inexpensive for the sebro branded ones. OE pads are textars, and I've used Zimmermann rotors and they seem quality. Most of the rotors should be fine though. There's also small screws that locate the rotor, they're a few cents a piece from the usual suppliers so might as well change them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Bought a 996, would benefit from new brakes. Easy as any other car to DIY? Any funny sensors or other over engineered German stuff involved? Recommended parts or just Powerstop?

I mean....that depends on what brakes are on it.

There are definitely sensors, they may be crazy expensive, and may even be super dumb high pressure that you can't bleed yourself.

If they are just basic brakes....yeah, it's like changing pads/rotors on a 1995 Toyota Corolla (maybe easier). But we don't know what you've got.

Edit: Bajaha above is assuming you have relatively standard brakes specced. And is right if that is the case.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Could you get pccb's on the 996 generation?

My bad, thought they started with the 997 for some reason. Looks like if you have the gt3 or a late 996 turbo S you'd have the pccb's, if you don't have yellow calipers and funky looking disks then you likely have one of the standard steel brakes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Could you get pccb's on the 996 generation?
if you have the gt3 or a late 996 turbo S you'd have the pccb's

It's Porsche....those could be speced onto ANYTHING, and were in various amounts. That's why I'm trying to be specific.

Remember, this is a company that makes a significant amount of money on the color of the seat stitching in their "custom" shop.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The procedure is pretty much the same though right? Other than having to be extra careful not to let the edge of the rotors hit anything lest you wanted to convert them into super expensive coasters.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

The procedure is pretty much the same though right? Other than having to be extra careful not to let the edge of the rotors hit anything lest you wanted to convert them into super expensive coasters.

There is a high pressure ABS model that I can't wrap my head around right now to come up with the name. And it's a bitch to deal with. More than just PCCB. I think it was more popular on 4S models, but I really can't get it into my head right now. Somebody here will know what the hell I'm talking about.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

There is a high pressure ABS model that I can't wrap my head around right now to come up with the name. And it's a bitch to deal with. More than just PCCB. I think it was more popular on 4S models, but I really can't get it into my head right now. Somebody here will know what the hell I'm talking about.

Are you sure this was a Porsche thing and not a Mercedes thing? I know some Mercedes cars have some sort of extra safety system that needs deactivated before brake jobs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

Shameful post without picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Are you sure this was a Porsche thing and not a Mercedes thing? I know some Mercedes cars have some sort of extra safety system that needs deactivated before brake jobs.

I found what I was barely remembering: You're supposed to bleed using PST2 (the test suite) for 996 and 997s with PSM or traction control because you can't get fluid through all parts of the system without opening the valves in the slab(s).