Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The lot at work got a new friend today (GT4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's a gate (not pictured) to the left of that car, it's the last spot and there's no way to get in there but at the angle it's in.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Pics of the one I'm getting. I like the interior :).

Sweet ride, nice choice. Sounds like you got a great deal, too.

I hope the Hurricane Porsche makes it through the storm, but on the other hand if it sinks it'll be worth some internet cred as a story.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice looking cars, Twin White Porsche dudes. Congrats on the new rides.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Are you kidding? He knows more about the car than even Porsche's top engineers. Tire wear from doing burnouts is totally covered under Michelin's warranty, that's why no one has ever bought another set of tires ever again in their life. Just go into any store of any type and they'll happily eat the $1400.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
TAPPED BY THE WRITERS OF
STAR TREK
FOR PLOT IDEAS.

SUMMITED THE PEAK
TALLEST
LANDMASS ON Earth.
OF
THE

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Even though his post might have been a little misguided in relation to this thread specifically, I think his point is that not having the disposable income to outright buy a used vehicle which has notorious repair costs might be a questionable decision. I can't say I completely disagree with him.

Hopefully you have the disposable income to do any "necessary" repairs that might come up, because if you don't that is a pretty big signal you probably shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I can't speak for everyone but many people who have the credit to get approved on a 2% loan on a used car in the $20k-$45k borrowing range tend to:

a) Understand how credit works and leverage it for their benefit even if the average goon can't be trusted not to max out $400 worth of pizza & anime debt on their Citibank My First Credit Card
b) Have the financial means to cover the $20-45k disposable-income toys their excellent credit allows them to purchase at low interest rates while earning more interest using the capital on investments that aren't depreciating assets

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jymmybob posted:

That'd be a fun low-stress gokart for 4 figures, I hope you get it.

edit: found a good accident history car http://www.ebay.com/itm/232227468778

although seriously that's going to be a steal for someone at that price

$75k insurance claim :eyepop:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

The warm up time is something that definitely worries me about my Cayman. By the time I get to work my oil temp is just getting to about 150 degrees, while it's at over 200 when fully warm. A 3.4L engine is just big I guess.

How far is your commute? My E92 M3's up to 210 degrees after about 5 miles, it wants you to do 8 before getting crazy with the LSD so that must be the 'average' warm up they expect. My commute is 11 miles one way. It's a 4 liter so size alone must not have as much to do with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, obviously our ambient temps are currently a little higher out here than yours are, whatever minor amount of difference that has. (I thought Residency Evil was a SoCal guy anyhow).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
half of the cars in LA are Panameras. They're doing okay.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't even own one of these cars and I'm ordering this shirt, figured there's a few guys here who might like it too.

https://www.blipshift.com/products/44-mag

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I was pro-manual until I bought a quick revving car that has a DCT and haven't missed it once. I get plenty of chances to pretend I shift gears better than it does when I drive rental shitboxes on holiday in 2nd and 3rd world countries, like everyone else there who can all drive manuals too.

Enjoy the sweet car, keyframe, and enjoy not only beating manual drivers of the same car in the 0-60 but also doing it while you're holding an ice cream cone.

$2700 a year doesn't seem bad at all (you must be unmarried, or under 35 or so though because it should go down a little with those two elements, assuming you're relatively infraction-free) for full coverage on a 75k car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dave Inc. posted:

Whale tail. It's a factory one too so I'm holding on to it, but I prefer the much cleaner look with the duck.

That is a sweet car either way. Do you have any with Duck vs Whale in a similar angle?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I thought your last boxster was a great steal/turnaround, but a free one? Nicely wangled.

A friend of mine once sold his beater 1994 Grand Am to someone for $1500 cash, expecting to be able to take his completely not worth anything $50 tape deck head unit out of it after the deal was made and a bill of sale was handed over. Dude was like "Nope, gently caress you, it's my car now."

Obviously a 20 year old with a $1500 cash car isn't going to lawyer up like would happen with a free Porsche, but that's still kind of amusing. "I don't have time to get my car that I'm willing to sell and selling as good to the mechanic for a PPI" seems like a big red flag though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Pillar should be body color, top should be black. Problem solved.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Whole Hog 997.2 for $40 is my vote, in fact, tell me where this because I'd like to buy one.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Went to the Petersen Museum last week, they had a Porsche exhibition.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Bumperplugs came in and look great.

Congratulations on actually getting a better car than the one you sold prematurely!

Car looks dope. Personally I'd go make friends with an upscale body shop guy now and have that bumper patched/resprayed for $600 cash or whatever. It'll be a good relationship to have going forward.

Also that mop next to it, I bet you can get the whole floor done in seconds with that baby.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Blue On Blue posted:

over the honeymoon of driving fast and loud it losing its charm
How would that be possible though?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Blue On Blue posted:

I guess as I get older I realize practicality comes in handy too , currently I leave my golf clubs in the trunk the whole summer

With the cayman I'd have to plan to take them with, for instance

fknlo posted:

Visit the BMW thread and we'll talk you into an M3!

Since carrying around unnecessary ballast (golf bats, speaker boxes, etc) in a sports car is wrong thinking you could just sell the sticks now and use the money for track time in the new Cayman.

Or buy an M3 like our recently M3-buying friend here recommends...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Charging hardware is stowed in a Tesla-branded pouch.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

RoyalScion posted:

I've made a terrible financial decision, but a good entertainment decision; beware, phonepix.

https://imgur.com/a/j0MDXfF

I'm not usually a fan of silver but the GT metallic silver does look very good.

I talked to the dealer and he mentioned that the 718 GT4s were delayed until February/March.

They also had a GT2RS and a GT3 in the showroom and those are extremely good looking cars (and far out of my price range)

Sweet choice. A couple of friends of mine (who are a couple) have a GT3 and a GT4 and the GT3 owner (dude) says he honestly thinks the GT4 is better in a lot of practical situations (not excluding) their weekly autocross sessions.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't know anything about these seats but I also woudn't try to spec a new Porsche/other high-end "sportscar" without the good seats in order to save a couple thousand bucks over the course of a standard term if only because "Top tier car needs top tier accoutrements", and seats are huge in that value prop, and/or re-sale.

I'm constantly pleased that the PO of my M3 specced it to the tits.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good work getting those bumper holes fixed, that is such a million-times-better-result for not a lot of body work/effort.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I park my M3 in the garage because I don't like having to wash it all the drat time which is what happens in Los Angeles since dust just accumulates on the surface. The Volvo 240 and the NA Miata get to live outside.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Convertible roof replacement on any car is probably one of the most hosed jobs possible and I'd always have someone else do it for me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Life is short. buy a loving Porsche 911.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A friend wants an opinion on this, I don't know enough about the SUV's. Thoughts on what an appropriate price for this is?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-porsche-cayenne-gts-10/

He owns a few kids so my attempts to get him into a 911 have failed.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Well, the 2009 from yesterday went for 42 thousand American dollars soooo.

Manual GTSs seem to go for mid 20s-30k or so. Take a look at what a used Cayenne from the last decade runs, and then decide if paying 30k for a used German SUV from two decades ago is worth it.

:eyepop: On further review this car seems to have had 10 owners so that's enough of a reason for a nope. But I didn't expect that kind of price!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Part of me realizes a GT4’s suspension would be a really awful way to sit in traffic on days I decide to drive it to work.

The other part doesn’t want to spend that much money on a car from 2016 and not have CarPlay. :colbert:

Stop rationalizing. GT4's suspension is perfect for the daily drive occasionally. Also what kind of heathen listens to music in a car that has windows down and a NA soundtrack of high rev and delightful tonage?

This is my parking lot at work a couple years ago, Red GT3 guy has since traded it for a Black GT3 a year newer but GT4 girl keeps the GT4. I can do everything remote so stopped going in to work altogether a couple years ago. So clearly perfect for the LA commute??

I've since had the front license plate removed from my poverty-spec winter beater here since it's horrible, but the PO didn't get asked before they drilled it on.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Unfortunately some of us live in the frozen north east

Deary me that's a sad situation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

someone who daily drives the car

Daily driving in SoCal means you can have the windows down every day of the year. Heated seats if it gets below 60!!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

At least one that needs a bigger garage.

I just love how different the AMG GT looks and most importantly, the sound of that engine. I do have my name/deposit down for a GTS 4.0. I think it’d be Carmine red, gold wheels, 6-speed. We’ll see how that plays out/if I chicken out on a new car. I think I have to get it fast because my wife just started talking about “trying” for a kid. :ohdear:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They'll say sure, we'll give you $50 for yours and the set you're looking for is $8600 after the discount. would you like to finance this for 72 months?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

You mean because I'm going to be blown away by the reliability, right? :ohdear:

I'm still waiting for those COVID deals on weekend aircooled cars.

Partly it's because supercars of the 80's are doored by mid-tier Camrys now, partly it's that car tech and safety and chassis design is a million miles ahead now. I love my old stupid classic cars, but even compared to my relatively ancient 2008 M3 the creature comforts are night and day. "The doors don't let water in??? What is this black magic"

Motronic posted:

I was the one saying "not yet" earlier in the thread. Now I'm almost leaning towards "there won't be" because of how irrational the market has been.

It's this one, people who own stock don't have to rely on day-to-day employment to remain 'doing okay' and/or can work from home and have been doing so for 5 years now since they're in tech etc., so the stock market and the weekend toys market are going to mostly glide through this IMHO. Rich guys already took all the assets that traditionally fell into this sort of category, in 2007.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
As a wise man in a fast car said to the state trooper, "It does sound really ridiculous when you say it like that".

I love '80s Porsches and will want one in my stable eventually, I just don't anticipate it being as fun to drive as it would have been 25 years ago so it'd be down the list for me a bit despite loving the hell out of the aircooled style.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Really, I should just get a Miata.
I didn't want to say it.

GTS 4.0 + Miata would hit both ends of that itch. E92 M3 & NA for me and I get all the fun of both ends of the motoring spectrum, almost-too-fast-for-the-roads-speed-and-performance, AND jesus-this-car-is-small-and-rickety-but-wheeee

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That is a hot '88. Wow. Incredibly good color too. Disregard everything I said previously!!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Harsh, but fair.

I think once she sees that color in person she might change her mind. I've seen it in the flesh and it's spectacular (in LA sunsight anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah buy that one if you refuse to put together a powerpoint deck to show your wife how awesome the brown one actually is (that metallic bronze-brown color looks so amazing in SoCal light anyhow.) That green one is a hell of a car for that price. And you don't even have to look at the headlights if you are inside it.