Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Anyone recognize this? It.....it wasn't a clone.

Is that the actual car from Le Mans?

*edit*

It was for a sale a couple of years ago, looks like I missed my chance

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-porsche-917k-mcqueen-auction-20140622-story.html

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

This seems like such a one in a million thing to happen, I almost cant believe it unless there was something really dumb like on a split that was also plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I thought so too, but I read some Porsche forums a while ago and it was definitely a thing. I'm not sure if it's still going on or not, but it wasn't as rare as you'd think it would be.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

PPI just finished on my Cayman and it passed with flying colors. Just to make sure I'm not crazy, I bought the car in 2016 for 58k (including a an almost new set of OZ winter wheels and tires). I'm selling it now for 52k including the wheels. The car is a 2015 Cayman S in white, 6-speed, and has sports seats, PSE, PASM, and SC. The warranty just ran out. It's in great condition apart from the usual front end road scrapes. I'm not selling myself super short, right? This all went through Rennlist back channels and I never listed the car.

I don't follow Porsche prices but a $6k discount on a $58k car you bought two years ago sounds like an incredible deal for you, it basically means you paid $250/mo for a nice Porsche (ignoring oil changes, tires, etc).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I love seeing things like this

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

For Lexus without aux in, there was a guy that specializes in adding an aux in jack to the front or the back, a tiny push button switch on the front that looks factory, and then he solders the aux in directly to the FM radio part of the circuit. Push the button in and it's a direct input to the head unit, press it again and you have radio again. Probably someone doing that with Porsche head units too?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

$3200 Cayenne Turbo that's leaking coolant but supposedly ran when last parked?

Looks like it was not kept in great condition (dirty on the inside, cloudy headlights), I'm guessing you're better off with a $9k actually running and clean one from the same year?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Double tap that accelerator. It will start it in first instead of second.

Works the same on the highway to shift down 2 gears.

Is this something for gas mileage like skip shift on Corvettes? I honestly hadn't considered any Porsche would default to 2nd gear when starting from a stop.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Friend of a friend finally finished what's basically his version of a Singer. I don't think all the info is in one spot, but there's details of the build here, then pictures of the finished product on his Instagram.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I believe it was ~$400k or a little less, but don't quote me on that. It's already sold, but he'll be making more of them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Or pick it up from the factory in Germany, drive it around, and then have it shipped to your home.

The correct way to buy a Porsche or BMW

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would guess over half the people with garages in Los Angeles have them stuffed full of poo poo rather than putting their cars inside them

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Now, our local Porsche dealer had this awesome deal where if you buy a vehicle from them, you get free pickup truck rental for life through them.

That's amazing

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

People in my area are still listing houses at insane prices as if the corona virus isn't real, so I think it's going to take a few months before people realize that even people with money don't want to spend it / pay January 2020 prices right now.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was looking at ~2013 Cayenne Turbos in the 30ks before corona virus even hit, it was super tempting but both my mechanic and my car journalist friend put me off on the idea. I ended up with a Lexus that weighs 5200lbs and only has 300HP, so I guess the complete opposite of a Cayenne Turbo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks awesome, I would never have guessed that's a wrap

*edit*

had to click the ? icon to see the original color, I love black cars but this may actually be better. Here's his original:

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 15, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Please give me your car

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Did someone intentionally pay actual money for that? Was it Santa Claus?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What happens if you combine the stock market crash of 2000 with the housing bubble crash of 2008? Do we at least get cheap Porsches from it?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are some differences but the core safety cage and airbags and stuff like that is going to be pretty much the same with maybe some minor adjustments between the EU and US. That's what makes the car safe.

Now when you get in to developing country stuff eeh yeah that's where it gets spicier.

Even just the difference between the US and Mexico, although for all I know this is a one-off case and not a great representation of the actual differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

One of those cars looks like 10 years older than the other?

2015 vs 2016?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Let me tell you about being into 930s in the mid 2000s but couldn't really justify buying one at the time. I could have bought one, parked it somewhere and just left it there for 10 or 15 years, and still come out way ahead.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Ahead of what though? 15 years is a long time for, say, the S&P 500.

Ahead of not owning a 930 for essentially free for 15 years, even including maintenance?

I had been looking in 2005 so by now SPX has tripled, and I want to say I was seeing decent examples for $25k back then but I could be off because it's been 15 years. So probably roughly comparable assuming I had been putting miles on it this whole time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Oh I agree that in terms of absolute returns just investing would have been better, but the difference is smaller than I expected and then I would have a cool car this whole time. I would never buy a car at current prices as an investment, unless you're talking about some incredibly rare car I can't afford anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Benchmark fun car vs daycare cost.

:(

I was just talking about this with a friend as I saw an ad to lease a McLaren 570GT for pretty much the same cost as my child care*

*$1,571/mo, but also $20k down, 5 year lease, and capped at 2,500 miles/year, so one of the worst leases I can imagine. I assume you're on the hook for ridiculous maintenance costs too