Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whenever I see this on a keyboard it's someone who obsessively uses hand cream. Whatever poo poo is in there likes to eat off the paint most manufacturers use on plastic parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

Here's my '82 SC on the track being dusty:

gently caress. Yeah.

That's a beautiful car. You have the proper wheels on it and everything. (Assuming 8's and 9's by the yeah/dish)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

Thanks much! I'm not sure if they're original but they're model/year correct. I think they're actually 6 and 7s, I'm running 205/55r16s up front and 225/50r16s in back. The 8 inch rim was for the 930, I think, and those look dished like crazy.

Edit: God, who knows what wheels went where, nobody can keep track of all the options and packages that got different wheel sizes.

I thought the 911s of the same era with Fuchs were 1" larger on each end than the m030 high spec 944s (mine is 7/8). Some research says probably not.....but you're right about keeping track of option packages.

The crazy dish fuchs were the 9's and are basically unobtanium now:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Every repro Fuchs I've ever seen is only for looks (read: they are heavy as gently caress boat anchors which misses the point of why people who know what they are doing want Fuchs to begin with).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That wood trim is tacky as poo poo in there. Looks like it's the 60+ year old physician package.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

My Friday just got a lot more interesting. I'm going to look at the 996 buyers guide on Rennlist; anything you guys recommend I pay attention to in particular?

Receipts for the IMS bearing with attention being paid to a proper repair vs. replacing it with a stock part that's just gonna do the same thing again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AbbiTheDog posted:

At 120,000 miles, if the bearing was going to fail, it would have failed by now, wouldn't it?

No.

But the ad SAYS IT WAS REPLACED.

So that's baked into the dudes price. There should be receipts to prove it. Otherwise it's a negotiating position to work him down. Also a negotiating position if it was replaced with the same thing and/or no safety cutoff installed (whatever those things were called.....it's been a while).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

http://clients.automanager.com/020310/vehicle-details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-convertible-17c715234c1942e5a8e7681617abf643/

Here is a sketchy dealer with one that porsche screwed up by auto transmission and removable roof. Asking is 17,500 but they would probably fall all over a 15k offer. I don't think they are that hard to find but no one should be looking.

Wow. That might be the worst example of the breed possible. And I'm not even referring to condition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Your very nice 944 just got nicer; well done.

Yeah, that looks to be a nice example.

Mine is old school-ish (first year of the new interior) 85.5.

Yep....hood/fenders/lights are all horribly adjusted. This was right after I painted it several years back. (and removed those horrible US bumperette extensions)

Still haven't fixed it. I just don't care enough. I care more about the suspension and throwing it around corners, which is does very well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Let's get to the very bottom of the 944 heap:

I'd drive it. It's like a post-apocalyptic 944.

Ninja edit: are you/is that in the US? I didn't think they were imported until MY84.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

I just remembered, he had his balance shaft belt snap (It's a separate belt I guess, or maybe its on the accessory belt?). Don't know about the clutch, his is an auto :(
Good luck, and maybe someone else has more experience with them can chime in on regular issues.

Balance belt is in front of the timing belt and he's drat lucky it didn't rip the timing belt to shreds when that happened.

This is one of the reasons I don't run belt covers. Also because I'm lazy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ansith posted:

As soon as I got it home things started breaking and making sounds it didn't make when I went to look at it. Looks good sitting in my driveway though!

I have a feeling this is going to be a very painful ownership experience.

I daily drive one and recently resurrected another that has been sitting for several years.

These cars will punish you for sitting. They need to be driven. Yours has probably sat for a while.

Take it slow, lots of small trips to shake it out. Don't ignore noises. If you're reasonably handy you should have it reliable in a couple of months.

Feel free to ask questions. I and others here know these cars and will be happy to help.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ansith posted:

have ordered dizzy, rotor, and leads.

You're doing a good job already. Make sure you get the actual overpriced Bosch cap and rotor. Most of the aftermarkets I've seen are poo poo.

Does it idle okay once started? Also, does it restart immediately after you've gotten it to start once? (I'm thinking fuel pressure bleeding off here - at some point you may want to dig up a fuel pressure tester to see if it's going away overnight) You can't do the "turn the ignition on and wait for the fuel pump to get pressure back up" thing on these cars because the pump only runs when the speed sensor sees the motor turning fast enough (engages the DME relay).

Which bring to mind......you need a spare DME relay in the globe box. Just go get one. Some day you'll be happy you did.

Also, you'll need a special tool to get the bottom screw of the cap released (push in + 90 degree turn to the right) or this will be a very unfun job. So go find yourself a crappy flat head screwdriver and a torch.

You want to make the pointy bit long enough to clear the cap with the wires on and still have enough left over to push in the bottom cap screw, but not enough so you're touching all the poo poo that's in the way in front of the cap.

Ansith posted:

The noise I noticed once I got it home is a rattle in the rear when the clutch is engaged in neutral. It goes away if I rev it or if I disengage the clutch. I knocked the simplest job out of the way and changed the transaxle fluid which looked pretty clean with no metal shavings or anything in it but it made no difference. Reading up on it it sounds like it could be the torque tube bearings or the clutch itself.

Yeah, that sounds like torque tube bearings to me.

Ansith posted:

edit: The day after I got it home it developed a lazy eye too. No idea what's going on there:

The flip up lights are amazingly robust on these cars. They are powered, but spring a bit on the downside to prevent destroying the motor/gears in these situations. So if one isn't going down all the way something is interfering with it or you just need to lubricate all of the pivots (white lithium spray works well for this). I've had that look because I left a rag or something in there, or once because the pickup from the air box to the fender came off and was just sitting down there in the way.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 19, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I was amazed at the size of the rod that actuates the popping. At first it seems a bit classic German overengineering, but thinking about how FCA would use the cheapest plastic in the same situation, I can appreciate how well it's held up.

And think about basically every other 80s car with popup headlights that have been left permanently up because "gently caress this poo poo, I'm not fixing it" (lol GM). This may be the single instance where German overengineering actually worked out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ansith posted:

I did a little bit of reading on it but it's a bit 50/50 on if this is an urgent problem or not. Should I just wait until I destroy the clutch and do both at the same time?

Yes. I mean......unless it's really loud and annoying and stats to give you problems. But if you do either you should just do both because you're basically at the clutch once the TT is out.

EDIT:

Just noticed this.

Ansith posted:

It does have a charging issue, I replaced the old battery but it didn't help. I ordered a new voltage regulator, pretty cheap so it's worth a shot. Even with the low battery charge the motor should fire up a bit quicker than it is.

Well, that depends on how fast it's turning over. Things don't happen until it spins fast enough, so an old battery absolutely can cause this.

Also.....what kind of charging problem? Does your voltage gauge work? If not grab a multimeter. Start the car, let it idle. 12.<something too low> volts? Okay, not charging. Now rev it to 3k RPMs. 13.something volts? It's charging now.

If that's the case, someone did a bad job of bypassing the alarm and your field wire isn't working (the blue one). You can fix it.......or just remember to rev things up like a teenager every time to start it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 20, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

I think it's just a German car thing.

It's a hot dip galvanized body thing.

Most manufacturers are just too cheap to do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

It's not reliable

How's that now? Because the cheap ones are in complete maintenance debt?

I've been DDing mine for 7 years now and aside from regular maintenance I've needed to replace the rear wheel bearings. I started out by actually getting the thing back into proper shape before all of this, of course. I put about 10k miles a year on it and I've been left without the ability to get home exactly once, and that was just a tire (gently caress using a 30 year old compact expandable spare).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Just so I don't poo poo up the thread with additional dumb questions, is there a good resource for what model-specific problems to look out for if I go to check out a 944?

It's the only Porsche thread here. Fire away. I'm not the only one who frequents this place that has one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

I'm not interested in investing money/time in a 944, but I've always wondered how they drive compared to a BRZ. Has anyone tried both?

You don't invest money into a 944. You throw it into a hole, like all other cars.

While I haven't driven a BRZ I'll tell you why I like 944s: they are totally not a new car. They are raw and make you feel connected with the road in a way that even a modern 911 GT3 didn't do as well for me.

It's not for everyone, but it's a thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Yep, but how much poo poo do you have to remove to even get to the engine?

Just 1 thing.

You remove the car from the engine. Then everything is easy.

Same as a 911.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No way, there is a second really simple way to get to the engine in a 911 which is to completely dismantle the rear body of the vehicle

I suppose......but while I was obviously being sarcastic, dropping a 911 motor isn't really all that bad.

(oh god, I actually believe that. Is that what stockholm syndrome feels like?)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Full plastidip would make very suspicious of paint/body damage and rust being covered up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

a nearly identical one on Ebay went for 4700 with a mashed up front end, 2 blown airbags, and a salvage title, I'm not too worried about paying 7000 for this one if it's half as nice as it seems.

You did good.

And the smashed up one is still worth 4700 because that's what me and a bunch of other people would pay for the 6 speed transaxle with LSD all on its own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whoops......

'04 turbo, stacks of dealer records to 70k, 86k but needs it's 80k service.

It followed me home, I swear.

It really fits in next to the 944 that I DD.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

So is it the new DD or the weekend car?

Of course it's the DD for now because I just got it, but it's not gonna stay that way. I'll go back to the 944 and this will be for towing/hunting/camping/light wheeling like the rover it's replacing. When I burn off this set of tires I'll be putting BFGs on these wheels and potentially picking up another set (probably 20s) for some nice summers.

InitialDave posted:

Hmm. I don't really like them, but they're becoming available at prices that seem like a hell of a lot of car for the money. Be interested to see what they're like to live with.

I never really liked them either, and I still think it looks like a Hyundai Santa Fe from every direction other than the front, which looks like someone butchered an extra few inches of grill onto a 996.

Since this is the turbo, it's pretty loaded so the interior is very nice. Full leather everything, heated seats (even the rear), rear AC, etc. Worst part is having a PCM 2.1. No bluetooth, not even an AUX jack, so that thing has got to go.

I've driven a base model (meh) and an S (kinda fun for an SUV). Driving this thing is just mental. There is absolutely no reason it should go this fast with how heavy it is. I can't keep my foot out of the noisy pedal.

Some turbo lag, but I understand you can cut that about in half by straight piping the secondary cats. So that's on the list for this spring/summer.

Also, no need to lift it since it has air suspension and something ridiculous like 10" of travel. I couldn't find one with the advanced offroad package so no factory rear locker but it does have a low speed transfer case and center diff lock. And onboard air. Unfortunately it has the "premium" sound system (Bose) so there's no second battery under the spare tire. Instead it's a big dumb subwoofer. At some point I may rip all the bose poo poo out and put in a second battery, but as I understand it if you just pull out the sub the system sound like rear end, which isn't a surprise with the way Bose does things. This is a reasonably expensive proposition to do right, because all of the door speakers would have to be replaced with something decent and I'd need to put in a replacement amp. While I'm definitely not an audiophile, I'd like it to be at least respectable, and I definitely don't feel like I need a sub if I have proper door speakers.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 26, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Any aftermarket options? I've used those boxes that plug into the changer port in the past, and they're pretty good.

Edit: TBH, what would put me off one is the potential for ridiculous bills if something shits the bed.

Tons of aftermarket. I've already ordered something.

Yes, the potential large bill if something shits is exactly why a $120,000 truck is worth $15k private party 12 years later. This is kinda what I do, so I'm used to it. Would not own things like this if I didn't do my own work, and also wouldn't own only ONE thing like this (being in a hurry to get parts is a great way to spend WAY too much money).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Related: It really annoys anti-EV people when they bring up a shortcoming of current tech, and your response is "Well, just drive one of your other cars".

It also seemed to annoy several tree hugging prius drivers who don't like what I drive (sports cars, V8 SUVs) when I reminded them that I'm likely more eco-friendly then they are because I drive used things, maintain them well and drive them for a long time while they're out getting new cars every 3 years and it really doesn't matter how efficient the vehicle is at that point - it still has to be built.

I mean, come on...my DD is 32 years old. I think I'm getting every last bit out of that thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol, I get it. I get it. To be fair, doing that doesn't even throw a P0420/P0421.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NEVER LIFT

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I suspected as much. What about daily driving a 944? I don't actually need a car to get to work or anything but being without one for weeks at a time could be annoying.

I did it for the last 7 years or so.

I bought it for parts, it turned out to be better than that, so I did EVERYTHING that needed doing - 100% up to date on maintenance.

In those 7 years I've been through one rear wheel bearing and a wiper motor as far as unscheduled repairs go.

That being said, I still wouldn't drive one unless I was doing my own work. Daily or otherwise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wallaka posted:

I serously want to get a 2010-ish Cayenne Turbo S and redneck the poo poo out of it. Mud Grapplers, fabricated bumpers, winches, lightbars, the works. I think it would piss off almost everybody and still be pretty quick.

Mine pisses off the purists, but generally gets a lot of "hell yeah, I've never seen one actually dirty before" comments. I haven't gone as far as bumpers, because it's really not the kind of vehicle that you want to/will be good at crawling. I'm taking home hints from Taureg guys in attempting to fit a hidden winch, but it's kinda tough on the turbos because the front is slam full of intercoolers and poo poo.

And you definitely want a 2010 or older (955 or 957) for this, because the 958's down have a low speed transfer case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Does this look like a defect with the clear coat? Or do I just need a good coat of wax? Will this require polishing into the clear coat to fix?

Have you waxed this thing yet? If not, that would explain it.

It should come off with a claybar.

Edit: I see from the detailing thread that you used dish soap on this panel. That's obviously why it's doing this. Don't do that, wax/get your car waxed properly.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 10, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm very disappointed and it kind of turns me off on Porsche as a brand.

Your dealer sucks. Escalate this to PCNA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

They're supposed to be sealed units

No they aren't.

This may be a bullshit Porsche excuse, but most of their light assemblies are vented and if you run the lights it will drive off the moisture. That's their line.

Whether you believe it or not is up to you. But that's the design as I understand it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Transsiberia tribute? Either way, hell yeah and good luck!

Okay, done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I wanna get out of my Panamera but I don't want to get out of a Porsche. Thinking of getting a beat Cayenne to hold me over until I figure out what my real next purchase is.

Anyone know what to look out for in older/first gen Cayennes?

Get a turbo, because they have most/all of the options already. Make sure it's not using a lot of oil (some have bore scratching issues, most do not) and make sure that you replace the coolant passages under the manifold and the coolant Ts if they haven't been already. The other big thing on them is a bad intermediate bearing/mount on the front drive shaft. If it sounds like someone is banging on the floor from underneath the truck that's the problem. The porsche part number is the entire shaft, but there are other options out there.

They're hilarious fun to drive (for an SUV) and make a great cheap work truck beater. The air suspension is really awesome for towing, and it's got plenty of power.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue On Blue posted:

but the first rule of used cars is whatever you put into them is gone

That's simply not the case with cars like this and if the money is required periodic maintenance rather than running the thing in maintenance debt and kicking the can down to the next buyer. On you Corolla? Yes, that money is gone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

There may be a bit priced in around the major maintenance intervals

And that is exactly what I'm talking about here. There is a well defined service schedule. An educated buyer is going to want to see it's up to date on maintenance if you're asking for the kind of money that indicates it is.

And many buyers, myself included, will just pass on anything that has major deferred maintenance at the time of sale, because that probably indicates a whole lot about how it's been maintained (or not) in general by the PO.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

From what I understand the 987s don't let you stream audio over bluetooth (a feature present on my Golf from back then, but hey). Are all bluetooth -> 3.5mm streaming adapters pretty much the same? Any better than the other?

The 987s have the same garbage tier well-behind-the-times as the 957s and 997s, which is just a big of a pile as the 9x6 era stuff, minus the SIM card slot.

You can stick with that system and use a bluetooth adapter, or you could go with something like an Android head unit if nav is the kind of thing you're interested in. If you have Bose speakers/amps will will need a MOST (fiber) to RCA converter as well unless you want to re-wire/junk the amp and speakers. I ended up with a chinsium android thing in the Cayenne and it's better in every way.

I was using this until I got the new head unit: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...ps%2C122&sr=8-5

Avoid the ones that go bluetooth to FM - it's near impossible to make those FM adapters work reliably around us because of all of the radio stations. You'll get it working, drive 30 miles and it ends up garbage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

crazzy posted:

not if you jack it directly into the antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRU5UNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it works pretty good so far (i didn't have a 3.5mm in my car)

The inline ones are definitely better, but often a huge pain in the rear end to install on most Porsches because you need the stuff the euro adapter back there along with everything else (it's the thing in the "frequently bought together" in your link). Cayennes have some room back there depending on which system is in them (the full nav units are huge), 911s and Boxsters are just painful.