Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Hey folks, my Dad recently bought a 987 Cayman S manual, and the amount of slop in the gear shifter blows my mind (same in a mate’s 996 Carrera), I’ve never experienced such a sloppy shifter as in those two cars.

Dad has ordered some short shifter from the US which is supposed to eliminate a lot of the slop in the mechanism, but we found a round linkage sticking out of the gearbox when we had it on the hoist which had a lot of play in it too so the shifter is only part of the equation, obviously. Does anyone know what the causes of the various points of slop are and how to address them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

According to the short shifter install guide on Pelican, those are the two sources of slop -- the ball-joint cable end at the shifter and then at the transmission.

For the 996, you have to buy the cable with the cable end to replace the trans end.

So is the cable end you’re referring to the round linkage on the trans?

I’ve got to say I’m completely flabbergasted by how terrible the Porsche shifter feel is in pretty much all aspects. Even the shifter knobs feel like creaky two-piece plastic affairs (which they may well be in the models I’ve driven), and I expected way more.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

No, it's a wheel like the one on the side of this gearbox: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0592/3957/products/DSC00274.jpeg?v=1438281974

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, dunno. Looks like the part# is 98730305110
https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=476258&ukey_make=1058&ukey_model=15416&ukey_category=20123

Looks like in theory you can buy it loose:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info2/98730305110.htm

I'm not convinced that the flywheel would be able to develop that much play by itself. Is there looseness between the wheel and the bolt?
Anyways, there's probably also some play in the ball joint off of the flywheel and the links that plug into it, though sounds like that isn't your problem.

I’ll have to have a look again but from memory the flywheel itself was able to be moved a bit. Cheers for finding that diagram. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

The interior is very dated, but for exterior styling the 993 is when the 911 peaked IMO. Such a gorgeous car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Is oil leaking into cylinders when they sit for a while a common thing on 3.4L motors at all?

Dad hadn’t started his 987.1 Cayman S for a month or so until today, and once it warmed up a bit it blew quite a lot of oil smoke. It’s never done it before, but it wouldn’t often have sat for that long since he’s owned it.

It alarmed us so we shut it down and brainstormed what the hell it might have been, and when we started it up a second time to see what happened it again started smoking a little after a couple of minutes, but fairly quickly stopped and it was normal after that.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 10, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Bajaha posted:

It's a thing with them. My 05 Boxster seemed to do it on occasion, just a bit of an embarrassingly large puff of white/blue smoke that cleared right up after. Sometimes happened after sitting a couple days but I've had it happen after only half a day of sitting. No rhyme or reason that I could discern and it occurred fairly rarely. When I looked into it I found some rennlist posts that speculated it was the aos that might seep some oil into the engine when shutoff and it just burns off on startup.

My 08 has only done it once or twice in my ownership but it did have the aos replaced just prior to my purchase so maybe there's something there with the aos theory. Both my 08 and 05 are/were the 2.7 base engine though.

After I posted my question my dad did some research and found the OAS info too, so it seems like that’s the most likely culprit. 🤞🏻

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

My 987.1 S would do this occasionally as well, though the events generally seemed to occur a few days after going to the track. My AOS did eventually go, and that was a bitch and a half. May be good to have it pre-emptively replaced for peace of mind

My 987.1 S would do this occasionally as well, though the events generally seemed to occur a few days after going to the track. My AOS did eventually go, and that was a bitch and a half. May be good to have it pre-emptively replaced for peace of mind

Could be a good idea by the sound of it, thanks!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Helped my Dad replace the one way bearing on the alternator of his Cayman S on the weekend as there was a nasty clacking noise coming from that area. We put a new belt on it too while we were there. We elected to leave the OAS for someone else, or another day.

Just curious, does anyone know why new belts come with metallic dust all over them?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

slidebite posted:

I've never seen that...but maybe for UV protection?

Hmm, I don’t think so, it seemed like it was mostly on the grooved side..

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Upon closer inspection of fan belts at an auto parts store, I think the sparkly bits were most likely fibres from the reinforcing of the belt. I could swear they looked like pieces of glitter on the Porsche’s belt, but I was in the middle of loving around with trying to get a spanner behind the tensioner pulley to tighten it enough that we could actually move the tensioner, so it’s possible the details escaped me.

Either way, Dad’s super happy because between the alternator pulley clutch fix, shimming one of those concertina strap exhaust brackets which was making a racket vibrating against the muffler at low RPM, and me locating the source of another rattle that was pissing him off (brake light housing rattling against the rear window), he says the car feels like new because of the quiet. It’s amazing the difference that eliminating rattles and other unwanted noises makes to a car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Honestly, it was the first convertible I've ever had and it made me realize I'm not really a convertible guy.

My dad has had a couple of convertibles over the years (a Triumph TR6 when I was a kid and a Buick Wildcat many years later) and what I learned from them is that convertibles are great to ride around in with the top down on a very small number of days every year. It can’t be too hot or too cold or too sunny; for what ends up being the vast majority of days you want the roof up, and then you’re dealing with the extra noise that comes with a convertible roof and potentially water leaking if it’s raining (maybe these are bigger issues with older cars) and stuff that you don’t have to worry about with hardtop.

And that’s before any other considerations like not liking being seen as you are in a car with no roof.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

This is weird. Since getting my 993, I haven't lusted after any other sports cars.

Although I have had a stray thought or two about that green 996 Turbo.

The 993 is truly the most gorgeous 911, and with the air-cooled sound to boot. Must be fantastic.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Even just the difference between the US and Mexico, although for all I know this is a one-off case and not a great representation of the actual differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

One of those cars looks like 10 years older than the other?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Tsuru was sold unchanged for years and years (it looks very old but is a 2015) and was still compliant with Mexican crash safety standards.

Fair enough, but:

meatpimp posted:

Mexico kept making the early-1990 Nissan Sentra as a new vehicle, just like they did with the air cooled Beetle into the 2000s. So yeah, they look like they are 25 years apart in design, and they are.

This is what I’m getting at. Quite a different situation to what started the conversation, and not two versions of the same car for different markets.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Can anyone confirm whether or not Sport mode does anything to the clutch on a manual 987.1 Cayman S? My Dad was telling me that it does and I thought no way, doesn't sound right as I've never heard of any manufacturer doing such a thing, and it was probably just throttle mapping making it feel different (he mentioned he has to adjust how he shifts otherwise his shifts are garbage).

I drove it, and bugger me if the friction point doesn't seem to move considerably between Sport and normal mode.

Is this actually a thing? I guess they could have a cam or moving linkage which changes the clutch operation or something - like I said, I'd just never heard of anyone doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Not a thing, but sport does change throttle mapping

Bizarre man, I swear the clutch feel changes! Will have to have another play with it. Might just be placebo.