Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MY WIFE and I will be going to Kauai and a day trip to the big island in December. Looking at either a costco package and spend 2 nights in a hotel and then the rest of the time in a vacation rental. The package with a rental car is relatively inexpensive via costco. Planning on a 10 night trip. I am thinking the southern part of the island and then Princeville for the rest of the Kauai part. I have been to all of the islands multiple times so I know the ins and outs of them pretty well. I have not been in December though...

Does anyone have any experience with rentals in Princeville? There will be just 2 of us and our priorities are a quiet place with a nice bed. Grilling option and internet would be nice as well but not totally required. Hopefully we won't be spending too much time in our room. I am finding the Hanalei Bay apparently was remodeled recently, which would be nice. Lots of the rentals I am finding on vrbo look pretty dated, especially the sandpiper. I don't really need a good view as we will be bumming around the island whenever we are conscious. Budget is around $100 a night. Will we need AC? Historic temps in December are showing high 60s at night which is totally manageable.

We will mostly be hiking and snorkeling for activities.

I would also like to do things like Captain Andy's BBQ cruise and a helicopter tour. I can book the helicopter via coscto and it was about $380 - does this seem like a good price?

The day trip will be to Hawaii to visit a friend, I think we will just go for 1 day so we don't have the take our bags around. That or we will just leave from the Big Island home.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should be fine without ac as long as your rental has decent windows to open to allow the breeze in. However high temps are so steady through out that it really could depend on the rental if you do decide to stay in for whatever reason. Friends were in Maui at the end of last year (but not December) and the heat was absolutely brutal in their rental. Combined with no direct beach access and they didn't have a good time.

Have you tried airbnb? The listings there look nice but can be as around 130/night which is over your budget.

I'm a little confused though. What's in the package if accommodations aren't included? Airfare and car?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Woops sorry I didn't make that clear. I would book a costco package for hotel + flight + car. I would spend like 2-3 days in the hotel then go to the vacation rental. From MSP this was about $2400 for 2 people at a 3 star resort.

I looked at airbnb and would be willing to stretch the budget if needed. I just didn't find anything with a/c in Princeville.

Reading a bit more, it seems snorkeling on the north shore during December is too choppy - anyone have any tips? Maybe we will just stay south...

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread