Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
you can do so many things in FFIX.

it's been almost over a decade and square still hasn't made another rpg as good as ffix. no one has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

you can do so many things in FFIX.

it's been almost over a decade and square still hasn't made another rpg as good as ffix. no one has
FFIX is insanely good I just wish it had character-specific sidequests at the end.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never got far enough into 7 to experience that, but I did encounter the much more affecting death of Alys Brangwin.

Alys Brangwin is not dead

Alys is an icon

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFIX is insanely good I just wish it had character-specific sidequests at the end.

it does but only for quina

and garnet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

it does but only for quina

and garnet
Wait, which one is Garnet's?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

also apparently there is a completely pointless sidequest where every time you defeat a boss in the final dungeon, you go all the way back through the final dungeon and then fly back to Lindblum and watch one of the pig guys pop out of your hideout

and then after like nine times you get a lovely ring

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait, which one is Garnet's?

You find out her real name in Madain Sari. It's a pretty convoluted sidequest for a tiny payoff

Excels fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. I mean like a full Chrono Trigger-style quest for each character, with its own boss. Would have helped the fourth disc.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. I mean like a full Chrono Trigger-style quest for each character, with its own boss. Would have helped the fourth disc.

I like how if you kill Ozma, when you fight Hades he considers fleeing from you.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
FF9 is actually in a very tight competition for worst Final Fantasy game along with 8 and 13.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

FF9 is actually in a very tight competition for worst Final Fantasy game along with 8 and 13.

i'll fuckin cut you bowen

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Excels posted:

maybe you're slow. mentally

slow pacing is not a bad thing, because every second of that game is perfect

There's slow pacing and then there's waiting like 20 seconds for every single battle to start and conclude with long animations for every tiny little thing in battle and it makes the game a chore to play, it really needs a remastering where the battles pick up the pace a little bit. I mean the game is good and all but God drat dude, pacing wise, FF9 makes Breaking Bad look like an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Adam Bowen posted:

Disagree, but 8 and 13 really are abysmal

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
If you collected every possible bad trait of a Final Fantasy game in one place you'd find you just wasted a lot of time because it already existed and it was called Fainaru Fantajī Nain

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

gay skull posted:

There's slow pacing and then there's waiting like 20 seconds for every single battle to start and conclude with long animations for every tiny little thing in battle and it makes the game a chore to play, it really needs a remastering where the battles pick up the pace a little bit. I mean the game is good and all but God drat dude, pacing wise, FF9 makes Breaking Bad look like an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

That's why getting Ark as a summon is so fuckin sick cuz that poo poo feels like it goes on for 15 minutes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ambivalent posted:

He did all of Chrono Trigger in like 36 hours or something ridiculous.

Also, last I checked he was like the department chair in charge of X-Box Live Arcade stuff at Microsoft, but that was awhile ago.

that must have been a hellish 36 hours jesus christ

im not a translator by training but after a few hours of translating text my brain goes to mush and i start droolilng

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

final fantasy 8 is a good game for cool people

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Considering that up until relatively recently the norm for both translations and voice acting was to give people a big text dump and have them go at it out of order with zero context it's amazing that old games are as comprehensible as they are.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm plowing through my NES library, I've beaten around 5 games today. There's a ton of bullshit awful games that I seem to have gotten.

However they require next to no time investment, I beat that terrible NES peter pan game in like a halfhour.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

9's the only one i didn't finish because the math is boring, the story is bad even for final fantasy, everything is really slow, it's the definition of trying to sell strategy guides that come from that era, the biggest minigame is terrible and doesn't interact with actual gameplay in the form of rewards, and the characters have weird animal tails. it is considerably worse that 7, 8 and 10, and virtual boy color is quite wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't really like the item leveling up mechanic, and it really bugged me I couldn't switch Zidane out of the party.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i should qualify: i never played 13 or either of those online ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage homophobia aside, Kuja has an atrocious character design, and is a pretty boring villain.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

this is like atrociously wrong opinion central around here, what the gently caress.

people poo poo-talking kuja AND chocobo hot'n'cold. christ almighty

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kuja gets interesting toward the end but he's just some guy for most of the game. The story and characters are mostly really good though. I just want some endgame sidequests to give some closure to characters who get forgotten early on (Freya) and who have a lot of loose ends in their backstory (Freya) or who are Freya.

they hook up at the end even though he never gets his memory back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kuja gets interesting toward the end but he's just some guy for most of the game. The story and characters are mostly really good though. I just want some endgame sidequests to give some closure to characters who get forgotten early on (Freya) and who have a lot of loose ends in their backstory (Freya) or who are Freya.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Like I wish we saw more of Kuja early on, especially since he kills the character you spend the first two discs fighting.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like I wish we saw more of Kuja early on, especially since he kills the character you spend the first two discs fighting.

he rides a bitchin dragon, which we also should have seen more of.

Accordion Man posted:

Kefka and Emperor Palamecia are far and away the best Final Fantasy villains.

it's hard for me to take a pixelated villain seriously. he's pretty badass in dissidia, gives off a sort of david bowie vibe.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kefka and Emperor Palamecia are far and away the best Final Fantasy villains.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

they hook up at the end even though he never gets his memory back.
I know. I just want more Disc 4 content.

Also the best party in the game is Zidane/Steiner/Freya/Amaranth. Or, if you want to really break the game and get rid of any conceivable challenge, Eiko/Steiner/Freya/Amaranth. White Draw is an absurd skill and it makes Freya crazy good.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I always stuck with the Alexandria Crew because i didn't want to break them up. also their skills alll meshed well together. i even took garnet to oeilvert because i'm hardcore.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You seriously need to play a Zidane/Steiner/Freya/Amaranth party. It's super fun. No magic, and you can only heal in battle. Reis's Wind and White Draw are ridiculously good, especially since regen takes advantage of the game's long, long, long battle animations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Replacing Zidane with Eiko makes the party unstoppable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I felt pretty ripped off when the hidden megaboss turned out to be a beach ball.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I felt pretty ripped off when the hidden megaboss turned out to be a beach ball.

it's actually some weird mash of the two planets. Ozma's top half represents their planet and the other is Terra. whatever he is, even the lord of the underworld answered to him

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm glad of it

it was great because when the gba release happened, gamefaqs was pissed about censorship of all the sex and swearing that it turned out was never there to begin with

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

this is like atrociously wrong opinion central around here, what the gently caress.

it's not the central opinion, ff9 is always talked up as some kind of singular outlier of good in the series. final fantasy games are all objectively pretty flawed so it's a matter of taste, but i don't get how people can stand it. it has all the worst ugliness, design-wise of the 32 bit era and the "it takes until at least disc 3 before you get off the rails and get to do anything interesting" is definitely the worst in 9, even worse than 7 and 10.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

im being triggered

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

9's the only one i didn't finish because the math is boring, the story is bad even for final fantasy, everything is really slow, it's the definition of trying to sell strategy guides that come from that era, the biggest minigame is terrible and doesn't interact with actual gameplay in the form of rewards, and the characters have weird animal tails. it is considerably worse that 7, 8 and 10, and virtual boy color is quite wrong.

how can you call 9 bad for making you buy a strategy guide and then say 10 is better

also hot and cold treasure hunting gave you some of the best weapons in the game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i am talking about the card game, not hot and cold treasure hunting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i will admit that the slog to get to the point where you're actually making choices, doing sidequests and screwing with everyone's stats, instead of watching a long movie and pressing X over and over again is similar in 9 and 10, but i can stomach 10, even with the bad direction they gave the voice actors, and 9 is just dull and off-putting.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oh, well yeah tetra master is awful

on one playthrough i actually tried to learn it and found something great on gamefaqs (context: 1700 is the highest score you can get in the card game for collecting all the cards):

quote:

"So what happens at 1700, you ask? Well, under your collector
pts. where Master was written it now says, superimposed over
everything, 'Would you like to discard?'. So, after a hundred
hours of playing this game I am rewarded with a F***ING
GLITCH!!!"
-- ik141

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol, that's some old school poo poo. pac man kill screened for breaking the final fantasy mini-game

• Locked thread