Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm like 99% sure you can Stifle it; there's nothing that prevents Stifle from countering a delayed trigger vs. any other trigger. The only difference is the source of the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
since Hero's Downfall was printed as a promo in the FRF clash pack, does that mean it will remain legal in standard until FRF cycles out?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Elyv posted:

FRF was 100% out development's hands by the time KTK premiered in the real world, based on what they've said about the process in the past.
What, was it like literally being printed when KTK came out? I know they finalize cards way before they're released, but I don't see what would stop them making an emergency change.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

since Hero's Downfall was printed as a promo in the FRF clash pack, does that mean it will remain legal in standard until FRF cycles out?

No. Clash packs have nothing to do with card legality in Standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If you really want to gently caress with your opponents, start a turn with 5 lands, one of which is Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and the rest of which are are Forests and Islands. Use Nissa, Worldwaker to animate Urborg and then cast Turn to Frog on Urborg. Play a sixth land (a forest or island) and then tap all of your lands, including the one you just played, for black mana and cast Hero's Downfall on your opponent's creature.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What, was it like literally being printed when KTK came out? I know they finalize cards way before they're released, but I don't see what would stop them making an emergency change.

basically, yeah. there's a reason it's called the Future Future League, when it was just the Future League it didn't go out far enough ahead for them to make any meaningful changes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Whether it was physically printed or not, at some point the printers themselves have to typeset and get all the cards ready to print, which take a long time itself and the cards can't just be changed at that point.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Read through the timeline here.

Edit: The section that's titled "so how did gottlieb know it was broken?" Or read the whole article, it's pretty interesting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure the issue is that development over-values extra turns. Time Warp is not a busted card.
People get weird about Power 9 effects. Remember Time Reversal?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

No. Clash packs have nothing to do with card legality in Standard.

There were some cards that weren't in the last core set that are currently legal, where did they come from? Like I know Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire are legal right now but not in M15 or Theros or Khans.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Those are both in M15. They can only be found in the sample decks.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

There were some cards that weren't in the last core set that are currently legal, where did they come from? Like I know Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire are legal right now but not in M15 or Theros or Khans.

They were a special exception for the 30 card starter decks with a big splashy card for each colour, so there weern't feel bads for new players not being allowed to play all their cards at FNM, but they didn't want those cards affecting M15 lmiited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Read through the timeline here.

Edit: The section that's titled "so how did gottlieb know it was broken?" Or read the whole article, it's pretty interesting.

The part where Mirrodin has just come out, and development is sitting around going, "gently caress gently caress gently caress what are we gonna do about skullclamp?!" and then just hoping nobody notices is really funny in retrospect. It probably wasn't funny at the time because it was loving Mirrodin block and they already had hosed up with a full cycle of artifact lands.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

They're technically part of M15 so they're legal, it's just the only way to get an M15 version is from a sample deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I do like the fact that in that article they act like cards being way too good, ruining the format and then getting banned is part of the fun of Magic: the Gathering.

"Part of the excitement of building decks with new cards should be the idea that R&D might have missed something, and you could be the one to rub our faces in it[. . .] who knows if the next card that deserves to be banned is another five years away, or right under your nose in Fifth Dawn? Hopefully you'll all enjoy the search."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Are you trying to say caw-blade wasn't fun?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Entropic posted:

People get weird about Power 9 effects. Remember Time Reversal?
"Draw three cards" is also a P9 effect, although admittedly with a type downgrade. I guess they can't have responded to TC/DTT but that seems really weird if so, I mean they've printed non-broken non-delve versions of both effects and also it's mythic vs common so I just don't see how the power levels could be that obviously different.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

Are you trying to say caw-blade wasn't fun?

Cawblade was the highest skill-testing format in recent years. Yeah Cawblade is a format now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Interestingly, the complaints about Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time are pretty bad comparisons to Skullclamp, Memory Jar, etc. Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time aren't broken in any way in Standard. They don't have a testing league for Modern, Legacy or Vintage at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Cawblade was the highest skill-testing format in recent years. Yeah Cawblade is a format now.

Caw-Blade the deck, the format, the rotation, the banning, the lunchbox.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Angry Grimace posted:

If you really want to gently caress with your opponents, start a turn with 5 lands, one of which is Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and the rest of which are are Forests and Islands. Use Nissa, Worldwaker to animate Urborg and then cast Turn to Frog on Urborg. Play a sixth land (a forest or island) and then tap all of your lands, including the one you just played, for black mana and cast Hero's Downfall on your opponent's creature.

I am utterly failing to understand this. If I have 5 lands including Urborg in play, why can't I just tap three of them and play Downfall?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I am utterly failing to understand this. If I have 5 lands including Urborg in play, why can't I just tap three of them and play Downfall?

Because animated Urborg has become 1/1 and lost all abilities due to being the target of a resolved Turn to Frog. "Until end of turn, target creature loses all abilities and becomes a blue Frog with base power and toughness 1/1."

The actual result of this is that all lands, including your lands you play later in the turn after Urborg has become a frog, including Urborg itself, are still Swamps, however Urborg does not have the ability “Each land is a Swamp in addition to its other land types.” Your other lands can tap for B because they are Swamps; Urborg cannot tap for B, despite being a Swamp.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoness posted:

Caw-Blade the deck, the format, the rotation, the banning, the lunchbox.

And, my favorite, Caw-Blade the Flamethrower.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The part where Mirrodin has just come out, and development is sitting around going, "gently caress gently caress gently caress what are we gonna do about skullclamp?!" and then just hoping nobody notices is really funny in retrospect. It probably wasn't funny at the time because it was loving Mirrodin block and they already had hosed up with a full cycle of artifact lands.

The artifact lands actually weren't broken right when they came out, Broodstar Affinity was simply a good deck. Affinity didn't become a broken deck until Darksteel.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

The artifact lands actually weren't broken right when they came out, Broodstar Affinity was simply a good deck. Affinity didn't become a broken deck until Darksteel.
Which is why they only banned the Darksteel cards in the deck!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Which is why they only banned the Darksteel cards in the deck!

Yes, that was worded poorly. I should have said that they didn't start doing broken truly broken things until Darksteel came out.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
New Silumgar is totally Hedonism Bot.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

quote:

Thunderbreak Regent
Flying (I assume)
Each time Thunderbreak Regent becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Thunderbreak Regent deals 3 damage to that player.
4/4

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mean ol' dragon don't like removal. :3:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That is some goofy-looking art.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Seems decent, even without haste. (Edit: aha! Dragon Tempest!)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Seems pretty good, you can follow this up with Kolaghan for 10 damage.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Maro's tumblr is so good

quote:

jokulmorder asked:
hey Mark, it's my birthday and I'm hoping you'll favor me with some trivia on Jacques le Vert?

quote:

There was a point in time where you could change his name with Sleight of Mind because Vert is French for Green. Then we changed the rules about being able to change names.

Happy Birthday!

Some real fun info here :allears:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

bhsman posted:

Seems pretty good, you can follow this up with Kolaghan for 10 damage.

12 damage.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

This card is really good. I'm just imagining it in R/W alongside Valorous Stance.

4/4 Flying for 4 is already great in Red. The fact that a lot of the time it's a virtual 2-for-1 with the 2nd card being Lightning Strike makes it extra sweet.

qbert fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 3, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Oh dang, you're right.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

That's a standard playable dray-go I think, but maybe its not as good as Ashcloud? Seems like it could be good with something like OG Kolaghan.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 3, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That thing is an absolute house. The art is kind of meh but I assume it is a dragon and not a pheonix?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That dragon seems really good. Like way too good for what they normally put in Red. Does Red have any other 4/4 fliers for 4 without a drawback that I've forgotten about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That is what Kologhan's brood looks like, yeah. Kinda ... Yeah.

It's kinda weird comparing that to Ashcloud Phoenix (unsure) and then realized they aren't really in the same block as far as Standard is concerned. New rotation gonna trip me up for ages.

• Locked thread