Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
My cousin read on reddit about a DIY method for cleaning the connectors on his electric car's battery. I'm going to head over there tomorrow to help him take it out, the thing is huge. What should I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

My cousin read on reddit about a DIY method for cleaning the connectors on his electric car's battery. I'm going to head over there tomorrow to help him take it out, the thing is huge. What should I know?

Don't connect positive and ground.
Keep your tongue off the posts.
Same with your dilz.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
So long as you don't cross the streams, you should be OK.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You probably shouldn't do something stupid like crack it open and eat any of the stuff inside. Don't set it on fire, either.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
If you have to disconnect it, disconnect the negative first and reconnect it last. This is so if you happen to ground the positive while loosening/tightening it it won't arc as it won't be grounded at the time. Don't have a flame around it either, as it's unlikely but possible it could be letting out flammable gasses. I knew someone who accidentally arced his battery while putting it in and it blew up in his face. He was ok though.

edit: but really it's just get one of those battery post cleaners and scrub em off real good then put some grease on when you put them back on. Not at all complicated

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
When you say 'electric car's battery ', do you mean something like a Nissan Leaf?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OP you're going to die

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

When you say 'electric car's battery ', do you mean something like a Nissan Leaf?

Yeah, exactly

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can't say I know anything about electric cars but I'm guessing you can clean the posts without removing the batteries.also wear clothes you don't care about, don't leave batteries on concrete for any length of time (they can drain), and maybe wipe the battery with a rag before handling it.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

rock rock posted:

don't leave batteries on concrete for any length of time (they can drain),

wrong

People just thought that because they would put a battery on the floor and then come back six months later and be like "oh this battery is dead concrete must drain battery??" instead of thinking "I left a battery sitting for six months and they discharge through disuse"

Concrete doesn't have any effect on batteries.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The main safety issue is going to be that it's very very heavy.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
More to the point, why does he feel he needs to clean it? Is there an actual reason?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I left a battery on its side in the trunk of my car for a few weeks and it soaked the whole interior with battery acid.

I was ok, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thesaurus posted:

I left a battery on its side in the trunk of my car for a few weeks and it soaked the whole interior with battery acid.

I was ok, though.

Hope it didn't damage the dead hookers in there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure to use appropriate gauge of cables when connecting the battery to testicles.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Lone Badger posted:

The main safety issue is going to be that it's very very heavy.

Also huge amperage. As in a discharge could easily kill OP.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

Also huge amperage. As in a discharge could easily kill OP.

This is pretty easy to prevent?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't know. It might be. Try and revert to us.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, batteries for an electric/hybrid are a whole different animal from normal car batteries. I took a basic ASE shop safety class four years ago. That doesn't make me an expert, but they talked about this subject specifically. They said that normal batteries hurt, but won't actually do any damage. Hybrid batteries (this was before EVs were a thing aside from the Tesla Roadster) are one of the most dangerous things you can work on. They're one of the only things that can instantly kill you in the shop, aside from improperly-used lifts.

Griz
May 21, 2001

hermand posted:

More to the point, why does he feel he needs to clean it? Is there an actual reason?

here is the original reddit post

hybrid battery went bad, dealer wanted $4k to replace the whole thing, dude used to work as an electrician so he took the car apart, tested all the cells, and fixed it by cleaning the connectors.

this is a really bad idea for anyone who isn't an electrician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. I've worked as an electrician as well, and I wouldn't gently caress with that. My best friend does wiring for a living, DIYs everything on his car and motorcycles, and I'm pretty sure even he wouldn't gently caress with that.

Is there an actual error coming up, or does your cousin just think he might get better performance with less resistance from the corrosion? I'd put that For Better or For Worse fireman smiley here, but I think they deleted it.

• Locked thread