Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's almost that time again! Time for new gooey livestock babies to splort into the world.

If you are new to my threads, I manage a small farm in NE OH where we raise sheep, goats and rabbits for their fiber. I do all the shearing and the yarn is spun at various small fiber mills around the country and then my mom sells it at fiber festivals and online, along with some raw wool and roving for spinners. Most of the animals born here stay here, but some get sold as breeding stock or as lawnmowers and very few even end up as meat. I care about each one of them and know them individually but they aren't pets and there are worse ways to go than having a free and happy life until your last day.

This year we're starting a little early so starting March 25th be on the lookout for baby animal pictures! Here's the rundown of our ladies with old pictures because we're still buried under snow here. I'll get new pics of each of them as I shear them in the coming weeks.

Angela- Angora goat bred to Rex, due right around the 25th. Looking pretty enormous at this point.

Ginger-Angora goat bred to Rex, due around the 26th. Blood tests confirmed her knocked up, starting to look big.

This is Rex, the buck they were bred to. He's a fading red so we should have reds and chocolates this year.

Flirt- Romeldale sheep, bred to Goliath. Due the 26th also.

This is Goliath the CVM romeldale ram. He's a swiss marked badgerface so lambs could be badgerface (either plain or swiss marked) or white.

Prism aka Moose- Cormo sheep. Wasn't planning on breeding her but through some determination on her part ended up bred to her son Bialy. Way to be Freudian guys. She's due April 5th.

Johnnie- Jacob sheep, bred to Windsor. Due April 5th. She had stillborn lambs the last 2 times and the necropsy wasn't super helpful about how to treat her but we're trying some stuff and hoping for the best. She isn't looking big at all but has a little udder development so I think she's expecting.

Aster- Jacob sheep, bred to Windsor. Due around April 8th but she wasn't marked and hasn't had a ton of udder development so we'll see. She likes wrecking my barn so as long as she's a good mother I'm selling her off as breeding stock this year. She's a pain in the rear end.

This is Windsor, one of my two jacob rams last year. He was good to people but turned my ram pasture into a nonstop recreation of OZ so he had to go this year.

Page- Cormo sheep, bred to Bialy. Due April 13th and is growing a nice udder already. I was starting to doubt she was ever going to get knocked up but she just needed her butt shaved first.

Eclair- Cormo sheep cross, bred to Bialy. Due April 15th. Isn't really building an udder yet but isn't completely flat either so who knows. She's a first timer and has a ways to go so I'll grope her again in a couple weeks.

Madeleine- Cormo sheep cross, bred to Bialy. Due April 16th but like Eclair doesn't have much going on in the udder department. I'm not writing her off yet though.

This is Bialy, the cormo baby daddy. He's Moose's son from two years ago and is big and sweet and likes cuddles just like his dad who we lost shortly after he was born.

He was also bred to my romeldale ewe lamb from last year but she doesn't look pregnant at all so I'm not listing her. If she squeezes out a lamb it will be a surprise.

Jazz-Jacob sheep, bred to Dennis. She's an older girl but an excellent mother and currently looks like a blimp. Due April 24th.

Juniper- Jacob sheep, bred to Dennis. June looks a little funny but always has gorgeous babies. I'm wondering if she's going to keep up her streak of all girl babies. Due April 26th.

This is Dennis, my senior jacob ram last year. He died in an accident at the beginning of the year and I'm excited to have one last batch of babies from him. He was an excellent ram.

Last year a number of my jacobs miscarried about a week before they were due so I'm going to be a nervous wreck until there are lambs on the ground. I've done everything I can for them though so its up to them. The necropsy said it was unlikely to happen again but it shouldn't have happened to 3 in a row in the first place so we'll see. Fingers crossed for a bunch of big healthy lambs!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and also post pictures of other baby farm animals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yay new thread!

Hopefully the little inbred lamb turns out okay. Will you just not use him/her for breeding in the future?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Last year's babies.

Lacey

and Marzipan

are still adorable little muppets. I can't tell them apart at all but it doesn't really matter.

Truffle is the ringleader of the little goat gang. They have their own area away from the big goats still and she runs it with an iron fist.

Taffeta aka Taffy aka TiffTaff is no longer pink really but still the most ridiculous small goat in the world. Didn't catch CAE from her mom, yay! She and Truffy are bffs.

Panzer grew up to be a super handsome young ram and was sold to a farm in NY where he has his own harem and goats to beat up in the off season.

Minerva is still here and is a lovely and sweet young ewe.

Beau got the snip

and joined his sister Beth and their mom Thistle on a trip right down the road to be beloved pet lawnmowers for one of my shearing clients.

Olive remains the Adventure Lamb and spends a lot of time bouncing everywhere and bothering everyone.

Orchid is small and pretty and has a little bit of a neurological impairment but doesn't let it stop her at all.

Looking back at these photos is making me even more anxious for babies to get here!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Asiina posted:

Yay new thread!

Hopefully the little inbred lamb turns out okay. Will you just not use him/her for breeding in the future?

It should be fine. Moose and Al weren't related at all so it'll probably still be less inbred than most purebred dogs. Lots of breeders do mother/son or father/daughter breedings on purpose to lock in desirable traits any way. If its a ram it will probably get castrated and sold as a fiber pet because people are begging us nonstop for cormo wethers. If its a ewe I might keep it and breed it to an unrelated ram later as long as its healthy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I learn so much from your threads! :3:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cinderella and her new baby Maleficent! Born on Friday 13th.

Mal is the most insanely friendly kid we've ever had. She looooooves people, and is very independant from mom. She's only two weeks old, but likes to break out of the pasture at milk time to hang out with me and Red, the other goat I milk and have to work with special. Cinderella gives no fucks. Zero concern. She has the whole udder to herself, and is gonna be a big girl!

Here Mal is trying to get in my boss's nephew's pockets.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 3, 2015

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Asiina posted:

Yay new thread!

Charles II for a ram, Cleopatra for an ewe.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
SHIP AND BOAT THREAD. I'm so jealous of your spotty Jacobs and their amazing horns. :3:

We are about to begin our very first kidding season here. I'll have to get some updated pics of everybody and post them tomorrow.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yay! Your boats are gorgeous and I can't wait to see your kids.

I was hoping for spotty goats this year but Heath was (once again) an idiot and didn't get his girls bred. He was just coming off a case of urinary calculii and there was a ton of construction going on in the barn so I don't really blame him but he's lucky he's cute. I'm going to try and sync up Pearl and Opal's heat cycles now that I have lutalyse and CDIRs on hand and toss them in with Heath in early April for attempted September kids.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
yesss boat n ship babies

i hope all your animals produce babies but i especially hope dennis knocked everyone up :3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Can't wait to see more babies soon(also really hope we don't have another Weebles experience this year, don't think my heart could take something like that again)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Is Heath still stupid adorable?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Writer Cath posted:

Is Heath still stupid adorable?

He's one of those things!

Lately he's been bored silly because he's stuck in the barn (all my gates are snowed open and its deep enough that they could hop over the fence) and has been taking it out on his stall door. He hasn't gotten stuck in anything in a while though!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Have a sheep that looks like a goat! This is Baz, he is a hair sheep that belongs to my friend at the shelter. He comes into work cause he's bottle fed cause his mom is a deadbeat sheep mom.

Here he is with his friends Skip and Igor.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

You say your goats look goofy, but they all have ears, DEE on the otherhand...

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Renzuko posted:

OH yes, you are talking about Superconsndar's goat Dio?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Renzuko posted:

YOU GOT SOMETHIN TO SAY ABOUT DEE??

Actually ya'll I went outside at around 4pm and found a baby goat in the barn. Pics Soon.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm pretty much just stopping in to say I hope you get a ram baby from one of the Dennis girls that you can use in the future.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

YOU GOT SOMETHIN TO SAY ABOUT DEE??

Actually ya'll I went outside at around 4pm and found a baby goat in the barn. Pics Soon.

YEAH I'M SAYIN SHE'S GOT A FUNNY FACE!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Can't wait for cute babies! Also I was born in the year of the ram/goat/sheep so that makes this year extra special.

Also, Instant Jellyfish, put some mohair roving in your Etsy shop, TIA.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HungryMedusa posted:

Can't wait for cute babies! Also I was born in the year of the ram/goat/sheep so that makes this year extra special.

Also, Instant Jellyfish, put some mohair roving in your Etsy shop, TIA.

Someone bought the last of it! I think we have some red and chocolate mohair being turned into roving right now but for some reason the mills have been getting yarn done first.

I did a whole lot of groping today while giving the girls their yearly CDT shots and maintenance today and I think all the cormos are pregnant! The only one I still doubt is knocked up is Minnie the romeldale ewe lamb and that's fine. Meanwhile Page is becoming more poofy and circular by the day. I'm really excited that its not just fluff this year!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, another baby ship and boat thread! :3: And hopefully Major too because he is lovely.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Good luck with the lambing / Kidding. 2nd year on a tort for us where we are going to be without any newborns as we didn't put any of ours to tup, it feels so odd especially as some of the neighboring farms have already finished lambing.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Spot had this really pretty little doe on the 3rd:

And Dee had these twin bucks on Friday:

Still waiting on 3 more girls to go!

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
So cute! Want more baby animals!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Superconsndar posted:

Spot had this really pretty little doe on the 3rd:

Please pack her up and Fedex her to me so I can smoosh my face into her spots. I promise* I'll send her back ASAP.

* crosses fingers behind back

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Those are some cute babby goats! The huge floppy ears on the doe are the best. Do they have names yet?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Those are some cute babby goats! The huge floppy ears on the doe are the best. Do they have names yet?

We are keeping the doe, so she is the only one getting a "real" name and we are horrible and have not named her yet. We've been calling her ~~~Starbaby~~~~ because she is covered in stars!!! Wow!!!

The black buck is Elbow because he has a white dot on his elbow and no other white markings. His brother is Lucy because I told a goon on PIFB that I would name a baby goat after her dog, Lucy. :downs: The two bucks will either be sold as wethers or eaten lmao.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
You better name star baby Cassiopeia

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
It's too bad that your lamancha didn't have any doe kids. Lamanchas are a totally awesome breed.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I got new pictures of the ram lamb I'm hoping to buy, Isadore. He's looking good so far! His marking aren't perfect and symmetrical and he only has two horns but he's built really nicely and his pedigree is exactly what I want so I think I'm going to snatch him up. Just have to figure out how to get him from outside Philly all the way over here. I need a new CVM/romeldale ram this year too so maybe I can just make it one big ram roadtrip.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I got new pictures of the ram lamb I'm hoping to buy, Isadore. He's looking good so far! His marking aren't perfect and symmetrical and he only has two horns but he's built really nicely and his pedigree is exactly what I want so I think I'm going to snatch him up. Just have to figure out how to get him from outside Philly all the way over here. I need a new CVM/romeldale ram this year too so maybe I can just make it one big ram roadtrip.

Yisssss get himmmmmmmmmmmmm

Isadore is a good name too omg

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

SO Tek had her babbies this morning. A buck and a doe. The father is my Kiko buck so they're 100% Kiko. Might keep the doe (the lighter colored one,) gonna watch and see how she develops.

Boot thinks they're extremely excellent.

Waiting on my Nubian, this dingus to go next

She's bred to my boer buck lmao:

Haji posted:

It's too bad that your lamancha didn't have any doe kids. Lamanchas are a totally awesome breed.

Dee was also bred to the above Boer buck, so these are actually Lamancha/boer crosses. Eventually I'll be moving towards a mostly Boer herd and will just have one or two dairy does as family milkers, but Dee is out of nice lines and I'm thinking about buying semen (lol) from a nice Lamancha buck for her this year so that her kids will at least be able to go for something other than meat. She's too nicely bred for all of her kids that we don't keep to just go for slaughter. We'll see what I feel like doing this fall.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Superconsndar posted:

SO Tek had her babbies this morning. A buck and a doe. The father is my Kiko buck so they're 100% Kiko. Might keep the doe (the lighter colored one,) gonna watch and see how she develops.

Boot thinks they're extremely excellent.

Wait, she's really okay with a small white lion sniffing all over her kids? Do they think it's just another goat? Or will she eventually tell the dog to gently caress off and let her do her own parenting?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Awwww... Thank you for more baby goats! Also, that is a proud LGD you have there. Adorable.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Wait, she's really okay with a small white lion sniffing all over her kids? Do they think it's just another goat? Or will she eventually tell the dog to gently caress off and let her do her own parenting?

Eh, they trust boot, he herds them around and protects them from ~things~

Currently boot is only allowed with the babies when super is with them too, because while the grown up goats CAN tell boot to gently caress off if he gets mouthy, the babies cant yet and he is still under a year, so he doesn't quite realize that the tiny goats can't deal with his play yet.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

^^^^^^^^^Yep

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Boot (TOOT) is an LGD. He was raised with the goats so he is now basically just a goat with teeth. :3:

But yeah basically, right after kidding the moms are moved to their own little 5' x 4' kidding pens where they get to spend a couple of days bonding and doing Momstuff un-harassed. That was just after I'd found them so they were still in a common area with Boot Access.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

god drat toot was so tiny like, 4 months ago...

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I felt that way and then I realized those were actually taken in late April/early May last year. TIMES A FLYIN. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
My wife's 'lunch hour':

quote:

[all goats except where noted]
So far...Jazz had triplets, a 5 pound doe, a 6.5 pound buck, and a 13 pound DOA buck. No idea what the ancient one was thinking. Doe rabbit that was supposed to deliver kits almost a week ago, put her in to rebreed, and she delivered 6 kits. I thought we lost them all, but only one was actually dead. Moved that buck, fed the sharks [6 bottle babies], Ava escaped into the older kids pen while I was cleaning up afterbirth, and needed rescuing, so got her and she bashed me in the face for my trouble. Then Whiskey grabs a mouthful of ponytail and yanks, taking a chunk of it with her. Milked jazz for a little instant colostrum, Spook [cat, in heat] dove for the open door while I was coming in. Set down colostrum, grabbed cat in the rain. She was not pleased, but not bred either, come back in with snarling bundle of wet cat to find Fell [Border Collie] eating my colostrum. Lyra's is now defrosting. Triumph is probably also in labor, but Frosty and Lyra say they aren't interested.

• Locked thread