Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i like my roomba when the battery isn't completely dead. i also want a garage door monitor app. all the rest of the smart home stuff is dumb garbage for idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lol if you don't feed every possible metric of your life to internet companies

pram
Jun 10, 2001
roomba is epic

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

pram posted:

roomba is epic

my grandma got us one because she was fascinated by the concept of a vacuuming robot, and she demanded video of it doing Its Thing as soon as we got home with it. my grandma is cool.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what is 'grandma' is that some kind of cloud video appliance

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have a smart litter box that bakes my cat turds while im away

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flat Daddy posted:

i have a smart litter box that bakes my cat turds while im away

https://medium.com/@jorge_lo/the-future-a-cat-litter-and-drm-6dbda26428f8

Life with the CatGenie was great, but not quite perfect. Every once in a while, when the scoop misses a giant cat poop, the drying cycle cooks it. It gets dried out like a little raunchy piece of beef jerky. It ends up stinking the apartment up worse than one could imagine. It’s rare, happening maybe once every week or two and the smell goes away relatively quickly.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

what is 'grandma' is that some kind of cloud video appliance

it was the best word filter

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i remember being fascinated by the idea of your house unlocking and your security system disarming once your phone's bluetooth came within range

but then i realized that if my phone died then i would be locked outta the house

and then i used a bluetooth device for the first time and saw how much longer it takes to recognize than it would for me to simply take my keys out and put them into the door and realized how dumb it all was

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i got home last night to discover I had forgotten my house keys and i was really mad that I was still using key technology but now i've read this thread and i think i'll just remember my keys

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoqSJHB9QVs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Two whole pages and still no mention of http://www.openhab.org/ ....and you call yourself nerds. :mad:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Visual GNUdio posted:

I'll shamefully admit to having a boatload of smart home things in my house.

Here's the general overall synopsis:

It's poo poo.

The biggest issue is that there's a lot of different protocols from a lot of different vendors. Historically this wasn't the case. When you bought a Leviton system, you had to pay out the rear end for everything to be Leviton branded because that's all it would work with. If you were a zillionaire you'd go w/ Crestron or AMX but I'm going to leave dealer installed options out of the discussion. None of this poo poo would talk to each other across systems, but when you had an all Insteon system that you bought from the one company that makes that poo poo, it'd all generally work the way you'd expect it to. It was expensive-ish and limited in capability but it worked.

Then some jackass got it in their head that the way forward was to make a hub that would control all sorts of stuff. Instead of one expensive vendor that sold a bunch of poo poo that would pretty much work together, you have vendors trying to orchestrate a mismatched shitpile of things that each individually are unreliable, so the only thing certain about the system is that at any given time some part of it is sure not to be working.

Exhibit A: I currently cannot control my home office lights with the switch on the wall. Why? A CLOUD SERVICE hosed up a couple hours ago and is misinterpreting the action that should be taken when pressing butans. It did this once before and the problem magically went away a few hours later so I'll just hang here in the dark until THE CLOUD decides to stop making GBS threads on my stupid face.

STUPID poo poo I'M CURRENTLY PUNISHING MY FAMILY WITH
    5 Assorted Sonos speakers (not poo poo, Sonos own zone)
    3 Harmony Hub Remotes (mostly not poo poo)
    ecobee3 smart themostat (expensive, but gently caress if it doesn't own and kicks the poo poo out of Nest)
    3 Hue bulbs + 2 Hue Iris things (not individually poo poo, but poo poo as a group)
    GE Link bulbs (hue compatible, no color change just dimming. see poo poo rating above)
    Handful of Z-Wave dimmers and switches (individually work great, control system is still garbage)
    Z-Wave multisensors (detects motion/temp/humidty/light. motion detect works, temp and humidity is hilariously inaccurate, have no use for light sensor)
    Z-Wave door contact (still can't quit get it to line up right on my gate, have now resulted to 3d printing a replacement magnet thing in order to get it to work)
    Z-Wave wall scene controller (see Exhibit A above)
    Some random IP camera (mostly useless due to installation issues)
    SmartThings hub (total garbage, cloud everything, read exhibit A above for why)

The Thing To Do these days is to buy one of the hubs and then buy a bunch of compatible poo poo and then hope for the best. To help you out I've created this handy list:

SmartThings - Z-Wave, Zigbee, WiFi - Kickstarter thing then purchased by Samsung. Big money means they might stick around for a year or two. I know the most about this one because it's what I'm currently running at home. Open web-based IDE but lol it's all some hacked up version of Java called Groovy. Developer friendly platform with a lot of developers which means a bunch of shoehorning poorly programmed things together in awkward ways until you get something to work. The worst part about SmartThings is that it's all in the cloud. Every command your system receives gets sent to the cloud for processing. Want to turn on a light? Press button, wait for it to go to cloud, decide what should be done, packet is sent back to the hub and only then does the hub go and do something. Want to turn on a light? It might turn on right away or it might turn on in 5 seconds or never. It's like a roulette wheel of fun for everything you do!

MiCasaVerde line - Z-Wave, WiFi - These guys have a few different models. The newest model is cloud based (see above) but the rest handle processing locally. Fully scriptable by the user with Lua. By all accounts the development environment is an ever changing target and generally a mess to work with. A new OS (UI7) has been in beta for nearly a year and it's still a mess. Upgrades are painful and break everything.

Revolv hub - Z-Wave, WiFi, Insteon - This looked like a very promising device with loads of radios and powerful hardware so a bunch of people bought them and then... Google bought the company, shut everything down and bailed on all the users. Rumor has it they were after a couple of the RF engineers and bought the company just to get them to work on their next Nest thing. Get used to this story. Spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars on a home automation system just to find that it disappears one day in a headhunting exercise.

I'll write up more of this poo poo because the list is endless but I want to smoke some weed and go to bed instead. More tomorrow.

please post more of this. thanbks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just designed and oversaw the installation of a bitchin amx system at work for our new conference room slash product demonstration area. i want some of this stuff at home but it costs serious money

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i just designed and oversaw the installation of a bitchin amx system at work for our new conference room slash product demonstration area. i want some of this stuff at home but it costs serious money

AMX and Crestron are the fuckin own zone and also are the exclusive domain of millionaires. You must be a registered dealer to change anything in the environment, so if you want to add a light or whatever, call your dealer and prepare for another $1000+ service call to install the light and then add it to the programming for your system.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

https://medium.com/@jorge_lo/the-future-a-cat-litter-and-drm-6dbda26428f8

Life with the CatGenie was great, but not quite perfect. Every once in a while, when the scoop misses a giant cat poop, the drying cycle cooks it. It gets dried out like a little raunchy piece of beef jerky. It ends up stinking the apartment up worse than one could imagine. It’s rare, happening maybe once every week or two and the smell goes away relatively quickly.

our apartment gets filled with baked cat poo poo fumes but only 50 times per year so whatever

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Smart lights vs smart switches
There's a lot of talk about Hue because Philips was the first major company to offer a straightforward way to control lights with your phone. I have 5 Hue lights of one flavor or another plus a couple GE Link bulbs that are compatible but without color change (so dimming only). A Hue set comes with a bridge that will bridge wired ethernet to ZigBee (note "WiFi" isn't on this list, despite Philips selling these as WiFi Connected Bulbs). There are apps from Philips and third parties for most platforms. These talk to the hub, the hub sends commands over ZigBee to your lights.

Here's the problem with smart lights: they are plugged into your existing light socket, and that socket has a light switch at the other side. You plug in, turn on the switch, and you can get it paired to your hub pretty easy and take over. Wheee, I can change light colors from my phone! What fun! OK now turn off that switch, the light turns off like you'd expect. Now grab your phone and ... AWWWWW, you can't control poo poo because you've cut the power to the lights. Smart Lights become dumb not-lights once you turn the switch off. This doesn't sound like a big deal but it sucks in practice. You either a) leave all your light switches on and then try and fumble around for a goddamn cell phone every time you walk into a room, or b) use the switches and now you can't turn on lights without the switch and you should have just bought a regular goddamn bulb.

Philips recognized this problem and has solved it with a horrible wall switch thing that you stick on to your wall. It's interesting in that it uses the force of you pressing the button to actually power the device (so no batteries), but it feels clunky and cheap and isn't what a person would expect to interact with on the wall to turn on lights. If you're a shut-in with no friends or guests then I guess it's OK, but people have expectations around how switches work, and smart lights and the Philips Tap do nothing to address this.

A better solution is to replace your existing wall switches with "smart" switches (Z-Wave currently, maybe Insteon if you like dead ends or someday maybe ZigBee). You can get a switch for ~$35 (practically free in the Smart Home world), replace your existing switch, and now the lights controlled by that switch work just like they used to, but have the added ability to be controlled from elsewhere via your hub. If your hub shits the bed, no problem the switch works locally just as you'd expect. No, you don't get fancy changy colors, but you get a light that turns on every time and doesn't involve fumbling for your cell phone.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Visual GNUdio posted:

I'll shamefully admit to having a boatload of smart home things in my house.

It's poo poo.

The biggest issue is that there's a lot of different protocols from a lot of different vendors. Historically this wasn't the case. When you bought a Leviton system, you had to pay out the rear end for everything to be Leviton branded because that's all it would work with. If you were a zillionaire you'd go w/ Crestron or AMX but I'm going to leave dealer installed options out of the discussion. None of this poo poo would talk to each other across systems, but when you had an all Insteon system that you bought from the one company that makes that poo poo, it'd all generally work the way you'd expect it to. It was expensive-ish and limited in capability but it worked.

Then some jackass got it in their head that the way forward was to make a hub that would control all sorts of stuff. Instead of one expensive vendor that sold a bunch of poo poo that would pretty much work together, you have vendors trying to orchestrate a mismatched shitpile of things that each individually are unreliable, so the only thing certain about the system is that at any given time some part of it is sure not to be working.

Exhibit A: I currently cannot control my home office lights with the switch on the wall. Why? A CLOUD SERVICE hosed up a couple hours ago and is misinterpreting the action that should be taken when pressing butans. It did this once before and the problem magically went away a few hours later so I'll just hang here in the dark until THE CLOUD decides to stop making GBS threads on my stupid face.

STUPID poo poo I'M CURRENTLY PUNISHING MY FAMILY WITH
    5 Assorted Sonos speakers (not poo poo, Sonos own zone)
    3 Harmony Hub Remotes (mostly not poo poo)
    ecobee3 smart themostat (expensive, but gently caress if it doesn't own and kicks the poo poo out of Nest)
    3 Hue bulbs + 2 Hue Iris things (not individually poo poo, but poo poo as a group)
    GE Link bulbs (hue compatible, no color change just dimming. see poo poo rating above)
    Handful of Z-Wave dimmers and switches (individually work great, control system is still garbage)
    Z-Wave multisensors (detects motion/temp/humidty/light. motion detect works, temp and humidity is hilariously inaccurate, have no use for light sensor)
    Z-Wave door contact (still can't quit get it to line up right on my gate, have now resulted to 3d printing a replacement magnet thing in order to get it to work)
    Z-Wave wall scene controller (see Exhibit A above)
    Some random IP camera (mostly useless due to installation issues)
    SmartThings hub (total garbage, cloud everything, read exhibit A above for why)

The Thing To Do these days is to buy one of the hubs and then buy a bunch of compatible poo poo and then hope for the best. To help you out I've created this handy list:

SmartThings - Z-Wave, Zigbee, WiFi - Kickstarter thing then purchased by Samsung. Big money means they might stick around for a year or two. I know the most about this one because it's what I'm currently running at home. Open web-based IDE but lol it's all some hacked up version of Java called Groovy. Developer friendly platform with a lot of developers which means a bunch of shoehorning poorly programmed things together in awkward ways until you get something to work. The worst part about SmartThings is that it's all in the cloud. Every command your system receives gets sent to the cloud for processing. Want to turn on a light? Press button, wait for it to go to cloud, decide what should be done, packet is sent back to the hub and only then does the hub go and do something. It might turn on right away or it might turn on in 5 seconds or never. It's like a roulette wheel of fun for everything you do!

MiCasaVerde line - Z-Wave, WiFi - These guys have a few different models. The newest model is cloud based (see above) but the rest handle processing locally. Fully scriptable by the user with Lua. By all accounts the development environment is an ever changing target and generally a mess to work with. A new OS (UI7) has been in beta for nearly a year and it's still a mess. Upgrades are painful and break everything.

Revolv hub - Z-Wave, WiFi, Insteon - This looked like a very promising device with loads of radios and powerful hardware so a bunch of people bought them and then... Google bought the company, shut everything down and bailed on all the users. Rumor has it they were after a couple of the RF engineers and bought the company just to get them to work on their next Nest thing. Get used to this story. Spend hundreds (thousands) of dollars on a home automation system just to find that it disappears one day in a headhunting exercise.

OpenHab - Z-Wave, WiFi - OpenHab is a linux thing that lets you turn a PC into a hub of sorts. It can interface with other hubs to let you control Insteon and some older protocols. To my knowledge there's no ZigBee binding working yet. In general, the platform is linux as gently caress, poorly supported by a bunch of german neckbeards. The standard UI comes straight out of IOS 2. Like most things lunix all support happens by way of a mailing list that's nearly unusable. There's also a forum for support, but it's all in german. Good luck with this option.

Staples Connect, Wink Hub, Lowes Iris, PEQ - Assorted poo poo, typically some combination of Z-Wave, ZigBee, and WiFi - Home Depot and Lowes and fuckin Staples don't want to be left out in the cold (that's for dumb homes) so they either bought or partnered with somebody to get in on the hot hot action. Some of these are bad, some are OK. All of them are closed systems so they support whatever they support and that's the end of the list. Hopefully Staples or whomever doesn't get out of the home automation business because if they do you're hosed, there is zero way to interact with their system except through their app, and there's no good way for third parties to interface their things with these hubs.

lmao owned

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Regarding Cat Genie
When it works, it's awesome. We bought one when we moved to a new condo, and even had a closet built with a cutout to fit the device. Cat drops a deuce, Cat Genie scoops out deuce, grinds it into a slush and pumps it into your toilet. Easy!

Until it fucks up, and it will. I'm not sure how this guy just wound up with toasted turds. Ours wound up getting cat hair clogged in the pump impeller roughly once every 2-4 weeks. Then I'd get the pleasure of tearing apart a machine full of liquefied cat poo poo to get at the pump and pull out whatever clumps of cat hair and cat poo poo I could get my fingers on, all while immersed in liquid cat poo poo. It was a deeply unpleasant experience and after a year or so of this we gave up because nobody could take it anymore and we'd rather scoop poops twice a day then deal with the clogged up Cat Genie again.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

so I need to do a timer for my pool equipment. a intermatic z wave contactor could control 2 240 circuits which would be perfect. my other option is 2 manual intermatic timers + freeze protection. the z wave (even adding a mi casa) would be cheaper.

can I easily say 'run 8 hours a day and also run continually if the temperature is <35F' and be confident it's gonna work all the time and not backfire and freeze my plumbing?

this is all I want out of home automation. I guess a switch for the light would be cool too but they don't seem to make outdoor approve z wave switches. blah

From the sounds of it you're heading down the right path. This is the sort of thing home automation is generally good at, meaning it's something that doesn't actually involve user interaction. Simply do a thing when this thing reads this value etc etc. The MiCasa line will handle this easily and once you set it up you can probably go about your life ignoring it.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 3, 2015

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

this is a good and interesting thread.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Visual GNUdio posted:

From the sounds of it you're heading down the right path. This is the sort of thing home automation is generally good at, meaning it's something that doesn't actually involve user interaction. Simply do a thing when this thing reads this value etc etc. The MiCasa line will handle this easily and once you set it up you can probably go about your life ignoring it.

ty

Elder Postsman posted:

this is a good and interesting thread.

:agreed:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Visual GNUdio posted:

It's poo poo.
Thank you for saving me a bunch of time and money.

I wanted to get a few things for my parents' place (MyQ, the ability to turn on lights remotely, etc.) but it all sounds like poo poo right now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

what compels a man to mount a dryer on a wall

the dryer exhaust is on the front. the dryer exhaust is on the front and blows the dryer air and lint into his house.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

i like my roomba when the battery isn't completely dead. i also want a garage door monitor app. all the rest of the smart home stuff is dumb garbage for idiots.

Roomba should find its way back 2 the charger on its own so maybe u need to rearrange stuff if hes getting stuck.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shaggar posted:

Roomba should find its way back 2 the charger on its own so maybe u need to rearrange stuff if hes getting stuck.

nah I mean the battery is dead dead and no longer holds a charge.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh. you can buy a new one. if its a 500 series those batteries are way inferior to the newer 700+ series batteries anyway.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

it's a 400 series :negative:

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
smart homer

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

it's a 400 series :negative:

wow. whats it like living in the dark ages?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I kind of want to get a scooba but I guess they are not that good ?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shaggar posted:

wow. whats it like living in the dark ages?

it's ok.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shaggar posted:

I kind of want to get a scooba but I guess they are not that good ?

well u mop what maybe once a week? that's not bad to do on ur own. but u gotta vacuum like every other day or more so a robot vacuum makes sense.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if I had a scooba I could wash every other day too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Scooba is mostly for the novelty, it takes a lot of robot janitoring to prepare it with water and cleaning mixture and to empty and clean it out afterwards, and when it breaks good luck repairing it.

The service manual more or less says to replace entire the main unit for any problem, no matter how trivial it is. I still bought a new one when mine broke outside of warranty :downs:

Best robot on the market is probably the neato botvac, but i think the newest LG robots are finally getting wifi which will obviously make them better than everything so wait for that

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

dryers belong on top of washers

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hey op is there like a 'low voltage' z wave thing? my garage door opener is rly old and it doesn't even have one of those keypads w/ the separate light/door buttons. just doorbell buttons. i know ur supposed to have a motion sensor/sounder thingy but i dont wanna do all that just a z wave momentary switch or w/e.

also is the honeywell lynx z wave stuff poo poo like i assume it is? i should just do the mi casa and keep my alarm system totally separate right?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

the dryer exhaust is on the front. the dryer exhaust is on the front and blows the dryer air and lint into his house.

madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have a cheap chinese knockoff roomba and it works well. that;s my smart home

• Locked thread