Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

fart simpson posted:

hue is kinda neat at first but do you really want purple lighting in your home?

my home is a shrine to prince, so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
cool ordered a hue kit and tap to gently caress around with.

my home is getting smarter and my posts even worse

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Smythe posted:

im going to install hue lights in my cafe at work so i can have it change based on the theme of the show and then also so the fucker cafe attendant cantfuck with the dimmer and make it too bright inside. always with the too bright. go in there and its like a loving hopsital.

agreed smythe go with dim light to encourage romance

it really helps when you cant see how ugly the other person is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Smythe posted:

im going to install hue lights in my cafe at work so i can have it change based on the theme of the show and then also so the fucker cafe attendant cantfuck with the dimmer and make it too bright inside. always with the too bright. go in there and its like a loving hopsital.

amazon has rgbw LED strips for $1.00 a foot and the controllers are 20 bucks. just sayin

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

cool ordered a hue kit and tap to gently caress around with.

my home is getting smarter and my posts even worse
hopefully your home will get smart enough to stop you from postig

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

amazon has rgbw LED strips for $1.00 a foot and the controllers are 20 bucks. just sayin

Whoa. Cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i wanna get about 50 feet of em and put them on the underside of all the bus cabinets and have dope indirect ambient lighting

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jonny I wanna dork around with those for the office or smth and there's 23948293 different products out there, did you have a specific recommendation?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Our house got robbed and being too cheap to pay $15/mo to activate my security system and too dumb to go beyond Kickstarter to find my monitoring-needs suiting I have a home camera thingy called Piper that I got about a year ago.

Features:
  • Decent enough home camera / vitals taker that you can connect into from smartphones anywhere
  • Actions if motion detected (push alerts, SMS, email you or others depending on mode), can also switch on thigns
  • Z-wave controller for decent on-off / dimmable controllers
  • Really loudass siren if you want to deafen somebody

Generates neat vitals pages if you want to geek out (see below), but other than turning some lights on/off when we're home and allowing us to check in it's all right. The Z-wave controller took about 9 months to get dimmer support so didn't work with a lot of my lighting.

Downsides:
It has connection troubles. A lot. Even when everything is working, it takes forever to handshake from your smartphone to the camera. Even when you're home! Turning off uPNP and opening a dedicated port for the thing helped a little bit, but it still takes 5-30 seconds to connect for status (not even viewing the camera), which is bad. We get push alerts like "Piper lost connection to the network" many many times a month, which is enough to freak is out (original robber people cut the communications lines into the house). Turns out the Internet isn't down or anything (I can connect in to other things in my home just fine)--it's just that dumb cloud horse poo poo that GNUdio was talking about.

They came out with a new model that has ~*AITCH DEE*~ camera and NIGHT VISION but I really think they should have concentrated on fixing the network issues before trying to ask people to upgrade for a new dumb model.

Conclusion:
I wouldn't buy one new.

App pics:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

With DropCam you eliminate half the problems as you just connect to the :yayclod: but still plenty of interference issues in the house due to WiFi awesomeness. Thus end up backing Eero to fix the WiFi to get the cameras to work.

This brings back Blink which as a battery powered camera would only last 5 minutes with poor WiFi. My Nest battery level is a great testament to the gigantic hit WiFi takes on a device, and they know it as WiFi is disabled when the battery level is low.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 7, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Hed posted:

Our house got robbed and being too cheap to pay $15/mo to activate my security system and too dumb to go beyond Kickstarter to find my monitoring-needs suiting I have a home camera thingy called Piper that I got about a year ago.

Features:
  • Decent enough home camera / vitals taker that you can connect into from smartphones anywhere
  • Actions if motion detected (push alerts, SMS, email you or others depending on mode), can also switch on thigns
  • Z-wave controller for decent on-off / dimmable controllers
  • Really loudass siren if you want to deafen somebody

Generates neat vitals pages if you want to geek out (see below), but other than turning some lights on/off when we're home and allowing us to check in it's all right. The Z-wave controller took about 9 months to get dimmer support so didn't work with a lot of my lighting.

Downsides:
It has connection troubles. A lot. Even when everything is working, it takes forever to handshake from your smartphone to the camera. Even when you're home! Turning off uPNP and opening a dedicated port for the thing helped a little bit, but it still takes 5-30 seconds to connect for status (not even viewing the camera), which is bad. We get push alerts like "Piper lost connection to the network" many many times a month, which is enough to freak is out (original robber people cut the communications lines into the house). Turns out the Internet isn't down or anything (I can connect in to other things in my home just fine)--it's just that dumb cloud horse poo poo that GNUdio was talking about.

They came out with a new model that has ~*AITCH DEE*~ camera and NIGHT VISION but I really think they should have concentrated on fixing the network issues before trying to ask people to upgrade for a new dumb model.

Conclusion:
I wouldn't buy one new.

App pics:

your homeowners will probably give you a ~$10/mo discount for having a monitored alarm system

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

your homeowners will probably give you a ~$10/mo discount for having a monitored alarm system

Do any of these sperg-home options count as monitored solutions? If I duct tape and bailing wire a solution together that alerts remotely on motion/glass break/etc does that equal a monitored alarm?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Visual GNUdio posted:

Do any of these sperg-home options count as monitored solutions? If I duct tape and bailing wire a solution together that alerts remotely on motion/glass break/etc does that equal a monitored alarm?

lol no I had to get a letter from alarmgrid sent to my ins company. certificate of alarm or some dumb thing like that

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

10$/mo for a $10/mo discount to get some other group of cloud shitheads involved in my biz? Eh...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
its not really the cloud. its a call center that calls u and/or 911

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

its not really the cloud. its a call center that calls u and/or 911

Talked to my agent, because we live in a condo she said a monitored solution will be in the range of $30-$40 a year delta. If we were in a standalone house it might be close to $120/year. It's not a bad idea, but it also looks like you need to buy their specific Honeywall panel and components. As I've mentioned before, Honeywell is a Big Serious Company and they tend to make solid kit so that doesn't really put me off, but at the same time I don't have much need for a monitored solution. It's an interesting idea though, so thanks for the suggestion.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

error1 posted:

Yes? I like to imagine I'm living in a Quake map i downloaded off the internet in 1999

http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/cranky/index.php?game=1

epic freakin thissery

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Honeywell is a good company and I recommend every one of their products without reservation

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I saw a hue bulb at walmart the other day. fifty freakin dollars. who shops at walmart and has fifty freakin dollars to throw away on a light bulb that turns purple

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the smythe cafe should be really dim ot hide all the dirt and garbage

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

bobbilljim posted:

the smythe cafe should be really dim ot hide all the dirt and garbage
agreed. ur posts should be hidden!

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
haaaaaaaa! j/k ofc. i like ur av :)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Space-Pope posted:

agreed. ur posts should be hidden!

:hehe:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

As a Millennial I posted:

I saw a hue bulb at walmart the other day. fifty freakin dollars. who shops at walmart and has fifty freakin dollars to throw away on a light bulb that turns purple

You.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
sometimes i think about buying a red light bulb cause its supposed to like be less intense and be better for ur night vision but then i realize that my roommates probably think im weird enough as it is

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

sad, but true.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Space-Pope posted:

sometimes i think about buying a red light bulb cause its supposed to like be less intense and be better for ur night vision but then i realize that my roommates probably think im weird enough as it is

lol. you're too poor to afford to live alone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
we bought some Hue bulbs to work to be the red/green/yellow traffic lights for our CI build system, OP

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
All my Home automation stuff runs on HomOS.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
smart homes are cool because nest locks up and everyone freezes

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Space-Pope posted:

just tell them you're developing ur 35mm film. i miss the film photography class my high school had as a dumb prerequisite for the digital photography class. it was like splinter cell back when the lightbulb shooting gimmick wasn't old.

surprised you don't see amazon echo getting mixed in with this smart home bs. it's a stupid product meant for the home. and imagine if you perched it atop a roomba and it nagged you to buy milk and change the furnace filter. :3:

the internet of things is rad poo poo. it's like a mom but with electronics instead of females.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I've been slowly replacing switches in my place with Z-Wave units. Everything I've done so far has been very straightforward: cut power at panel (pussy), pull out old switch, wire in new switch, done. This has been made much easier as all of my boxes have had neutral lines run to them (which isn't always the case if you're dealing with older construction). Yesterday I set about installing my first 3-way switch using this master switch and this accessory switch. Here's a diagram from Leviton showing how my existing switches are wired, and below it the diagram for the new switch setup:

Note a couple things here. First, in an existing 3-way setup neither switch requires a neutral feed while the new switches both need neutral. In my case, one box had it (due to another switch being in the same box), and the other didn't. Second, the switch that connects to hot is swapped around (the switch attached to the load originally has no hot feed while the other does, the new switch has this reversed). After some noodling I wound up taking over one of the travelers from the original setup and bridging it to hot in the first box so the second box would have a direct hot feed. Second, I had to fish a neutral line from the light fixture into the second box. Fortunately it's all conduit and the box is close by so this took a lot less effort than it otherwise might have.

If you're going to be replacing 3-way switches, do yourself a favor and figure out how you are going to address these problems before you buy the switch. I got lucky on the neutral wire situation, if the fixture was any further away it would have been at the top of a 13' ceiling and around a bunch of junction boxes making fishing new wire a huge pain in the dick (this is when I call an electrician).

edit: it's worth adding that there are a handful of 3-way Z-Wave switches that can kinda drop into existing wiring. They do so by running a small current through the load at all times. This works fine if the load is an incandescent light or florescent ballast, but if you're using dimmable LEDs the typical result is that you can no longer turn off the LED at all. It will always be dimly lit. If you're using not-dimmable LEDs it won't work at all. In short, 3-way switch replacement is something of a pain in the balls and requires planning and probably will require running some new wires.

Visual GNUdio fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 9, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Do you live in chicago or something? Nobody has conduit in residential construction.

e: oh right you live in a condo. that makes more sense.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
one man embarks on a home automation project to soothe his existential dread , only to create his own earthly hell

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

give us the total cost itt

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

when i get a house all the walls and floors and furniture will be white ikea poo poo and i'll use hue bulbs to set the mood of the house at my whim

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hook up your hue bulbs to your TV so background lightning matches what you're watching

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I have a contact sensor on my front gate that I was having problems with due to the gap between the gate and the post being too big for the unit I bought. The unit detects a magnet in a little plastic housing mounted to my gate. I needed the magnet to be closer to the sensor and wanted a stronger magnet to extend the range. It eventually bugged me enough that I designed a replacement and had it 3D printed. Paired with a neodymium magnet this thing works great now.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Hook up your hue bulbs to your TV so background lightning matches what you're watching

Philips TVs actually support this directly, but not on any of their North American products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

emoji posted:

All my Home automation stuff runs on HomOS.

oh you have a house fag

• Locked thread