Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Last year I did most of a complete Tropico 4 Let's Play. It was stupid and amazing. Earthquake machines, battles against malicious tornadoes, time-warping, death mimes and Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat were all involved. You should totally go read it.

Ahhhh…Tropico. My Tropico.

Even as the United States government grinds to a halt, Tropico endures. When the city of Sims crashed and burned, Tropico expanded and modernized! Truly, nobody knows better than El Presidente how to build a city and create a masterpiece of civics from shacks and bananas!

What's this all about?

Tropico, fool! The greatest Caribbean nation in the world, and by extension, the greatest city-building simulator to ever exist! This is not propaganda!

Aside from Tropico 2, which was a pirate simulator, the series has mostly been unchanged, refining itself into perfection. We are a newly-elected dictator wielding total power over the island. We can't control the individual actions of the people, the foolish, foolish people, but we can read their minds and by catering to their whims, control the prosperity of the island--maybe even make us a little retirement money in the process, heh heh.

Tropico 4 changes a few subtle but important things. We need to have a fully-staffed ministry with qualified officials in order to deliver world-changing edicts. There are multiple powers in the world beyond merely the US and USSR, and their attitudes towards us will influence trade. Goods can be imported at a cost if necessary, and double the money can be spent on construction projects to finish them quickly. There are also many recurring characters, including our own staff and speakers for the political factions.

These and other touches make Tropico 4 the "perfected" version of this game. The promised upcoming Tropico 5 is apparently going to change up a ton of stuff, so this is probably going to be the final, and best, version of this type of Tropico.

We will be examining everything we can in this LP, from the base campaign, to Modern Times, to the DLC missions and their buildings if (that is, if Feral Interactive ever gets around to releasing those on my platform!)

How big is this game?

This is a long game. Each campaign mission may take several hours to complete and there are 20 in total, plus more for all the extras. Bobbin Threadbare's LP of Tropico 3 was many updates and that was just covering the sandbox version of this. So I'm not going to slow things down by asking for reader input on every single little thing that happens, there's too much ground to cover. There will be polls for certain things, such as which branching mission objective the people want to pursue.

Elections will not be held for which man becomes the next Presidente. El Presidente decides his own destiny, and his own history! He is and has always been whatever his latest autobiography says he is!!!
Here will be the new Chapter archive for THIS half of the LP.

Mission 14-1: To Bait Fish Withal
Mission 14-2
Mission 14-3

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mission 14-1: To Bait Fish Withal

Update 14-1: To Bait Fish Withal

Uh-oh! Looks like we’re being BLACKMAILED! Scandal!

To defeat the Generalissimo, we must look the part of a general ourselves! Haha! Yes, with DLC even female Presidentes can look the part of a soldier!

If we’re being blackmailed, that means we need black gold to pay off the black-hearted Santana! Fortunately, La Presidente has experience in this as well. She picked up a few tricks during her stint with a guy named “Rico” who parachuted all over oil-laded tropical archipelagos. Of course, blowing the crap out of enemy oil derrecks was really bad for the environment…

At this point, we aren’t even keeping track of which political party we belong to. Whoever has the largest voting bloc will suddenly find us as its party runner, and today, on this island, it’s the Communists!

Remember how I said La Presidente was a killing machine? LA PRESIDENTE IS A KILLING MACHINE! Any goddamn rebels who dare to oppose us now will suffer the wrath of our hand cannon!

In addition to the basic training, our Bold Leader helped train the deadly and amazing secret agent Colubra, and taught her everything she needed to know to survive in the wild. La Presidente developed a unique martial art style for fighting with your bare hands and can dismantle a gun in seconds!

As we have previously established, MANY TIMES, we are a Witch Doctor who can brew many bizarre potions. All of them began as failed hair-care products, for some reason…

So let’s begin!

Gasp! I didn’t even know we had a twin brother! Well, drat fool, I guess this means we need to go and build ourselves some tourism infrastructure to support the rollercoaster.

We’re back on the tiny three-tiered island with some grassy areas and some ores on the second tier. There’s oil deposits in the sea and the third tier, so as soon as it is affordable to do so, we’re building a sea refinery to turn that into cash, as we have previously planned to do.

First, though, we build another tenement, a mine, a restaurant, a tourist dock and a hotel.

…YOU BASTARD! We are a prisoner in our own kingdom! How DARE YOU! We find ourselves in quite a pickle, don’t we, dear Tropicans?

At least somebody’s on my side. What a crazy world we live in, our own guards are our enemies, but the rebels are our friends!

Restaurant and Tenement built, now people can eat, have minor entertainment, and not live in their own filth!

Hotel and Tourist Dock built, and a church too! Now we need to wait for some more cash to roll in because we’ve kind of overspent.

I’m working on it, Rodriguez! Geez! Go practice more police brutality on your own time!

Haha! A light in the darkness! Well, we will need to work on this, Marco, but it’s nice to have goals!

Goal 1: Get Ministry so we can have an Internal Services minister to issue Secret Agents
Goal 2: Get some power and money to be able to build a rollercoaster for Santana’s bizarre revenge plot
Goal 3: Build some oil wells and make sure we have lots of educated ladies to staff ‘em!

A lot on our plate.

In parting: a close-up shot of the Souvenir Shop!

Till next time, Tropicans!

Poll:

You forgive Presidente for being so late between updates, don’t you? Don’t you!?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 4, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Aaah, the return! I always enjoyed this LP, glad to see it's updating again. ....

You did misspell the title, though. :P

It's nice to see the shenanigans of El Presidente once more! Hopefully there'll be more ludicrous comics!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neopie posted:

Aaah, the return! I always enjoyed this LP, glad to see it's updating again. ....

You did misspell the title, though. :P

It's nice to see the shenanigans of El Presidente once more! Hopefully there'll be more ludicrous comics!

La Presidente disagreees with your assessment. While her comics may be luscious, they are in fact, toned down from reality to make other presidentes feel less inferior.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mission 14-2

Wow, it’s been awhile! Half a year, it feels like, heh! Well, let’s look at the island!

Our island is growing, we have a small tourism sector down by the beach and a couple of mines on the mesa. Like usual, our finances are dipping dangerously low only to rise high again once we sell off a bunch of ores and other stuff.

AAAH, drought! I hate droughts! The entire screen gets wavy with heat waves and turns brown, too, and our crops start to look fugly (some wilt entirely). We’d better set water restrictions, I guess. I hope that the drought doesn’t start any fires…

…you are a horrible newscaster, Sunny.

Wugh, we need refreshments! Fortunately the Ethnic Enclave has been built. I should build a tourist bar too.

I can click on these water buckets to water our crops, but it costs me money to do so. Of course, it’ll cost me money to put out fires if any happen while the heat wave is out here.

Ugh… I’d have you shot but then it turns out I don’t actually have ANY doctors on the island. So I blow about six grand on a couple more doctors to staff my clinic.

God drat YOU! Because I’m in debt I don’t at the moment have the money to throw at an emergency helicopter dump of fire retardant. I may have to just let this sucker burn.

Rain? RAIN! HA HA HAAAA! YESSS! (Sadly, rains do not end fires, so I have to pay an exorbitant amount of money to save my field, but whateves.) The crops will heal themselves now.

With our second hotel up and more exports going out (and more workers thanks to the Immigration Office up) we can actually afford this bribe. (Bastard!)

Three game years after I began this update, I’ve gotten our economy reasonably on-track, and have provided for the needs of almost every faction except the loyalists (c’mon, guys, I’m sorry I forgot to build a Childhood Museum!) Time to make some empty promises!

There, that ought to do it.

Tourism District’s getting bigger.

Now that we have an actual INCOME, and are in the process of building a college to train people to know how to calculate proper voltages and other poo poo only electrical engineers know… we can get started on getting a power supply for the island, and build that drat rollercoaster.

Also have spies. Gotta have spies!

Until next time, Tropicans!

Poll: What is YOUR favorite fair attraction? Roller coaster? Stunt show? Theme bars? Live on-site blacksmith?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Oh my god, it's back! I've long waited for this day to happen!

Ahhh, favorite attraction: the arcade! And possibly the full-laser tag attraction we have here. Sometimes. Some years.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
My favorite Tropican Fair Attraction is the Llama Riding. It is just like bull riding, except, when you are thrown, the llama and everybody in the crowd spits at you.

Also, sometimes some joker sneaks in an alpaca, and then everything goes dark for a while.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hah! You decided to continue it? Better late than never I guess, though I gotta wonder if you left the O out for a reason.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Freak Show

I'm pretty sure this little island has endless supply of them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ArcadePark posted:

Freak Show

I'm pretty sure this little island has endless supply of them.

That was definitely the island with the Golgafrinchans.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Personally, I like decently-made ghost trains. But that may not be helpful!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Have to love the Bumper Cars although that may not be much of an attraction given Tropico's notoriously lax traffic laws.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Madre de Dios! El Presidente was taught by El Pollo Diablo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbBJ-iBkDNc

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, it was either this or scrapping everything and starting up a Modern Times Expansion LP. Which I may do.

Tropico 5... eeeehhhh. Still not feelin' it. It's not objectively worse than this game, but it's kind of a lateral move and not all the changes were for the better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess a Rollercoaster is about the highest-end Tropican product?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

So I guess a Rollercoaster is about the highest-end Tropican product?

It is one of the single most expensive things you can build, as far as luxury attractions for tourists go. THE most expensive thing is probably the gold statue of yourself.

There's one add-on mission where you have to kill Cthulhu with either an electrified rollercoaster or a gold statue of yourself come to life.

I am NOT making this up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"Super Robot Pilot" is just one of El Presidente's many talents!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tropico Mission 14-3

This… is where things get interesting.

The “Voodoo Manor” DLC building is a luxury tourist attraction that is very profitable, and also has one very interesting work setting: if it’s on “Haunted House,” then the uglier the surrounding terrain is, the HIGHER its service quality is. The other two work modes just give everyone who visits mind-controlling happy-juice so they like everything on the island more, and a service that coerces tourists into staying on the island longer (though I’m not sure that helps you if they’ve run out of money already).

Tourism is currently our #1 earner at the moment, with the expanded tourism district…

And the rest of the city ain’t doing bad. Now let’s get that rollercoaster for our blackmail master!

Hmm. From here on out, the FIENDISH Generalissimo Santana is going to ask increasingly humiliating things of us… but we can refuse. I’m going to show off what happens if you keep refusing, for educational purposes!

Heh heh heh. I like this one. It’s one of the few times something GOOD happens from trying to screw Santana over.

What? NO! I like my women! Screw you!

…yaigh! Survivable, but… yaigh. Losing 10 people would have been less trouble.

At least the rollercoaster looks nice.

SCREW YOU! Oh, this should be good.

Ohhhh this is BAD. With the minimum wage set so high my economy will be in HAVOC.

And we have another heat wave! But fortunately this time I have a fire crew.

Now, building 3 banks is actually a GOOD idea, I should have done that sooner myself… but let’s be petulant assholes and tell him, yet again, NO!

WHAT?!

JESUS! I had two construction buildings too, which means I now have 19 crims running around on my island. I’d better fill up the prison fast to reform these guys!

OK, you guys get the idea at this point. I’m going to reload the save and just go along with Santana’s humiliating demands while trying to investigate him. The guy is clearly not messing around.

So once again I send pictures of the accident, and send off ten loyal women, though I make sure to give them all pistols hidden in their purses so he doesn’t mistreat them. And I’ve got that huge-rear end power plant in the second mesa, so I’m about to generate 100MW of power soon too…

…as soon as I find more women able to staff it.

drat YOU SANTANA!

Ha, I am one step ahead of you, sir! Already built that one. Let’s see what it uncovers…

(Am I the only one who thinks how hilarious it is we keep coming up with justifications for building this drat thing? Haha)

Cows on the lawn of the ministry!

Hmm, I should probably make a Botanical Garden, because that’s a tourist attraction run by a professor. Cool beans!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Excellent. Let the botanical scientists decide if my so-called twin brother is actually a plant-based pod person!

The garden itself is kinda nice. It’s a good tourist trap, and the environmentalists like it too!

Oh gently caress NOT AGAIN!

I NEEDED THOSE! Mother Nature, you big blue watery BITCH!

Fortunately the rest wasn’t damaged so badly. We’re at 84 MW of the 100 Santana demanded, which means up next is probably his bank request.

I’m not sure, but I think that there’s actually two ways to win this scenario: either fulfill (or deny) every demand Santana makes or just investigate the fake twin brother to its conclusion. That’s what I love about Tropico 4. It has a high degree of replayability.

Well, El Presidente is a shape-shifting voodoo master several centuries old, I would expect we are rather unique. Hmm, I wonder if we have any other mutant powers besides reading minds or freezing time…

Completing this investigation frees us from Santana’s original blackmail chain and if he had hit us with any deleterious effects before, now they’d be undone.

Oh, boo hoo, your ringer is dead. Who cares! At least you’re not kidnapping any more women or sucking my power reserves dry!

At this point in the game, all the factions love us except the Loyalists, who wish we had a Mausoleum.

OUCH, hitting us where it hurts, with an entirely new set of blackmail unrelated to the last set. We have already been exporting weapons, but this will cut into our profits. FINE, let’s give him what he wants.

Up here on the lonely, unpopulated third mesa is our would-be oil well with a garage nearby to make travel faster. This is why I actually kind of hate oil in this game, it takes too drat long to get any produced compared to mines. And even LONGER to produce in the refinery on the beaches, for some reason.

Well, our US Relations are already hovering at 90%, so this isn’t so hard! I like how they give you the option to just overwhelm the CIA with bribe money. It looks like the next stage of our investigation won’t trigger until we give Santana his weapons, though.

Hooo, we should have done this sooner, I think, but no worries.

Fireworks from me enabling the National Day edict, which pleases Nationalists and converts some citizens to Nationalists and Loyalists.

And this little baby also converts people; it’s another DLC building, but well worth it. (The mission that comes with it is HILARIOUS)

He’s got his weapons, but he wants more soldiers. Baaaah! I needed an army base anyway. But soon we’ll have his number, as we have built those radar dishes finally!

I spy an optional story objective down by the buildings and…

…Marco Moreno wants us to sell canned “pineapples.” Heh.

I’d need a cannery and a pineapple farm to accomodate this, but it doesn’t matter because we’ve got the mission ender in the bag!

Easy-peasy! Ordinarily, alliances with foreign powers are used to keep the other one from invading you. They also pay you a little bit of money to have an army base on your island. Nationalists hate this, though, because they hate everything.

Okay THIS is the end of the scenario, excuse me. I do love me some Golden Statues…

One last look at our beautiful tourism district (and an annoying reminder to jail some fools already) before we build the golden statue to end this.

HOORAY!

14 missions of 20 down. Then we RULE!

Poll: Canned Pineapples. Do you think they would have worked?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 8, 2015

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
If XCOM taught me anything, it's that "pineapples" are more useful than guns.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well pineapple taste kinda gross so, maybe?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Poil posted:

This is a wrong opinion :colbert:

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Poil posted:

I think you tried to insert the pineapple into the wrong hole.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

This is a wrong opinion :colbert:
Possibly, but it's really hard to tell without being more knowledgeable about weapons and cans in general.

Tetrakarn posted:

I think you tried to insert the pineapple into the wrong hole.
Oh definitely true, since the other hole lacks taste buds.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That is how CIA agents like to eat their food.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I hope you at least sold Santana defective weapons.

And of course Pineapple would've worked. Because they were blessed by El Presidente, not because of any special qualities of the cans.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

The canned pineapple would have been funny as hell to see play out; if it does not at least cause any kind of damage to that pendejo Santana.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

An aside: I realize Marco Moreno is supposed to look like El Che, but I can't see anyone but Big Boss.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 10, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Whoever beat me to the Report button?

Thanks!

On a more important topic, are there really only four more missions to go? How much more weird can this story get?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

6, actually, 15-16-17-18-19-20.

Plus Modern Times which is 12 episodes of utter insanity.

And DLC missions which are their own brand of weird.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Oh my. This is me failing at reading.

Are you actually planning on going through with all that in this thread, or will you do a separate thread for Modern Times + DLC?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Probably the best thing to do would be a separate thread for Modern Times + DLC when the time comes.

Fresh start for everyone. The future.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

A nice effort, but OP has become a Darling of the LP Subforum and is therefore immune to all helldumping.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

berryjon posted:

Whoever beat me to the Report button?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 10, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speedball posted:

Probably the best thing to do would be a separate thread for Modern Times + DLC when the time comes.

Fresh start for everyone. The future.
The Modern Times has some really fun missions, and the characters are just great. :)

I wish I could say why but that would be spoiling things.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 9, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you go into photoshop, you can delete your gray trace-lines near automatically. That won't make the content less bad though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We good? Good.

Could I get like...four more replies to get this onto a new page? Don't want to overflow this one page with too many images, and a new update is incoming.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 10, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Why does Santana say the island stinks of pineapple before you've produced the 1500 body armor cans of the stuff?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Probable because we pluck all the pineapples first so that our Glorious President for Eternity can inspect each and every last one of them for defects. And any that do not meet such meticulous standards are instantly destroyed, necessitating growing more.

All that pulp gives the island a wonderful aroma that the vile Santanna cannot appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Speedball posted:

We good? Good.

Could I get like...four more replies to get this onto a new page? Don't want to overflow this one page with too many images, and a new update is incoming.
Yea sure, why did that guy just get probated?

• Locked thread