Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

... are you 3P, Ernie?

That depends..... Are You?

jon joe posted:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Yeah I think we should all full-claim right now.

I'm Master Chief, I somehow fell into Earth's past and know that democracy doesn't work so I'm here to steal a ballot box (I win if I'm the player remaining in control of one of the actions).

What are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

We can all probably win if we just full-claim and arrange our actions in a pre-determined way.

#InMemoryOfAsiina

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

That depends..... Are You?

Yeah I think we should all full-claim right now.

I'm Master Chief, I somehow fell into Earth's past and know that democracy doesn't work so I'm here to steal a ballot box (I win if I'm the player remaining in control of one of the actions).

What are you?

Town.

##vote Ernie

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

jon joe posted:

Town.

##vote Ernie

JJ, reminding us once again that the gray forums are the no jokes zone. :allears:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

JJ, reminding us once again that the gray forums are the no jokes zone. :allears:

What's a... joke?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

jon joe posted:

Town.

##vote Ernie

I see. And does your role pm suggest to you that it's possible that someone from the Halo Universe might be in this game?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

What's a... joke?

Look at your posting for an example.

I kid, I kid

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

I see. And does your role pm suggest to you that it's possible that someone from the Halo Universe might be in this game?

I have this tattoo on my back that says Don't Trust the Chief.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Confirming.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Wow I better read this entire thread!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

jon joe posted:

I have this tattoo on my back that says Don't Trust the Chief.

that's probably about my unconfirmed mason-buddy byers2142

his role is police chief and he's here to make sure that no one messes with the ballots after they're handed in (he can roleblock a ballot conversion ability)

total shot in the dark here, but do you think your tattoo flavor is alignment-relevant?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jokephase 2: Revenge of Jokephase. :allears:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

that's probably about my unconfirmed mason-buddy byers2142

his role is police chief and he's here to make sure that no one messes with the ballots after they're handed in (he can roleblock a ballot conversion ability)

total shot in the dark here, but do you think your tattoo flavor is alignment-relevant?

Hey, you shouldn't be giving out this level of information.

Dammit, Ernie, you're completely out of control! Turn in your badge and gun!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Jokephase 2: Revenge of Jokephase. :allears:

real-talk: when i was 14 i went through a jokephase and i never got out of it

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

Hey, you shouldn't be giving out this level of information.

Dammit, Ernie, you're completely out of control! Turn in your badge and gun!

Affirmative, sir. Requesting fly-by before landing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, we should have a Twitch plays Mafia.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I found a way to break this game. First, I have to become scum. Then I should get puppy cuddled D1. This will make sure my ballot gets distributed randomly, and there's a 3/14 chance that it goes to one of my scumbros, who can claim they got my ballot and therefore become confirmed town because scum can't pass ballots to scum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jon joe posted:

##vote Anarchy

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

jon joe posted:

Twist: It still only uses a gameboy controller.

AAAAAAABABABABABA

START
START
START
START

(it'll basically be the [SA] Mafia thread)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ernie. posted:

(it'll basically be the [SA] Mafia thread)
:vince:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

No one is suspecting me which is cool because it's correct. I'm a random innocent Mafia newb and I'm vanilla town and I'm in the doctor room and no one has written a word there yet. I'm drinking wine and playing mafia. Hello friends.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I'm a ... Mafia

these are the only parts i read in fast luck's post

did they say anything relevant to the game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

No one is suspecting me which is cool because it's correct. I'm a random innocent Mafia newb and I'm vanilla town and I'm in the doctor room and no one has written a word there yet. I'm drinking wine and playing mafia. Hello friends.
You should drink mafia and play wine.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hello friends.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Somberbrero posted:

Because JJ's has evidenced what you call town behavior, we should dismiss it when he acts scummy?

Bringing up the scummy behavior is fine, and you did that. My issue is that

Somberbrero posted:

If you're going to lunch me for not participating in setup speculation and trying to find scum instead, okay. If you feel like lunching scum at some point, vote jon joe.

from my point of view, your "trying to find scum instead" was literally picking out one of JJ's posts as scummy and calling it a day.

Somberbrero posted:

I just read Jon Joe. Almost all of his posts are concerned with mechanics and setup speculation and there are maybe three actual opinions.

My reaction to the game starting was to try and figure out how we can best use the mechanics to rig the game for town. So while yes, a lot of JJ's posts aren't set on scumhunting, I look at posts like

Jon Joe posted:

Closed w/ information. We don't need to know who had what ballot to decide targets in this thread. I think it's fine if someone who HAD a ballot reveals the results, though, since they don't necessarily have the same ballot again on the next day. No reason to announce in the cop vote doc, especially since they can only do so if they have a cop ballot again.

Also, one thing we should be cognizant of is that, if a scum receives the cop, they can lie about the result. This is more of a problem later in the game than earlier though, imo we shouldn't trust unconfirmed cops at all (even ones performed in the past) if it's lylo or mylo.

That's why we doc the cop target, at least night 1.

Also not discussing the doc target renders the doc in control of the scum if there's at least 2 scum in there. We can protect high-value people with it. Night 1 it's the cop target. Night 2+ it's the cop target from night 1 if we got town, or some town power role who revealed.

and to me they read most like a town player trying to solve the game. I don't think scum would pump out a bunch of setup spec like that, I feel like they'd just throw out minimal content and try to go unnoticed.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

wall monitor posted:

This suggests at least one power is beneficial to the target?

I don't want to have us claim which group we're in but scum probably can figure this out pretty quickly since they've got 3/4(?) people probably scattered throughout the voting groups already, so I think it'd benefit town to figure it out

Ernie. posted:

this is a scum post

like this is the kind of information that we will anyway have in d2 when people start going 'yesterday i was in the ___ ballot'

delaying it gives us no advantage whatsoever

this post is motivated by being seen as helping the town but it has no actual townie basis for its existence

##vote wall monitor

You really read WM's post as "scum trying to misdirect town" and not "newbie player thinking out loud"?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

You really read WM's post as "scum trying to misdirect town" and not "newbie player thinking out loud"?

i forgot that that's where my vote is ##unvote

afaik wall monitor is not new, but his post read like someone responding to the case they think was against them, but not the one that was actually presented. as if he had at the ready a defense ready for his actions which is... out of the ordinary.

his follow-up unvoting is too thick to lay on for scum

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I don't like Somber's posting. I like Somber as a person and I am sad I will not be playing this game with him, but he's acting at the opposite end of the spectrum from Asiina.

##vote Somberbrero

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

One more before bed:

Meinberg posted:

The roleblock power seems like it could be potentially very powerful, if the scum are the ones whose abilities are more tied to a single user, but that with the random distribution of action, that it could also prove to be accidentally disastrous. Still, I don't think there's an option to not use a given power on a night.

This post pings me weird, because I was under the impression that all townies were Vanilla. We have potential to access Cop/Doc/RB every night through the vote instead of relying on keeping a power role player alive, so to me that's already pretty pro-town. I was already assuming that scum are the ones whose abilities are tied to a single user, which makes Meinberg's thought process here seem possibly faked. It also doesn't really say much: "roleblock is potentially strong if it's anti-scum, but we have no way of telling if it is, but we have to use it"

Meinberg - got any cases?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
King, Ernie, do you two remember The Grand Hotel Budapest? Do you remember how I spent a lot of day one trying to break that silly cash/item mechanic to try and keep all the money in town hands?

None of that was poor reasoning. None of it was really wrong. However, I was scum and it let me establish an early and effective town leadership position. That distraction, along with many many other distractions, kept the town from ever getting their act together.

I think, almost exactly, one of the town players said "Well I can't imagine that scum would put so much effort into trying to break the game."

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Epsilon Plus posted:

I don't like Somber's posting. I like Somber as a person and I am sad I will not be playing this game with him, but he's acting at the opposite end of the spectrum from Asiina.

##vote Somberbrero

And acting opposite another player is scummy, then?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

King, Ernie, do you two remember The Grand Hotel Budapest? Do you remember how I spent a lot of day one trying to break that silly cash/item mechanic to try and keep all the money in town hands?

None of that was poor reasoning. None of it was really wrong. However, I was scum and it let me establish an early and effective town leadership position. That distraction, along with many many other distractions, kept the town from ever getting their act together.

I think, almost exactly, one of the town players said "Well I can't imagine that scum would put so much effort into trying to break the game."

I absolutely remember. It was my first game as scum and I'm still sad that our flawless scum victory happened with a whimper at the end there because town gave up doing anything. I was expecting you to bring it up at some point and am surprised it took this long. :) Are you saying that your personal meta is to be completely unhelpful when discussing setup spec unless you are scum? If so, I'm totally willing to look at some examples of that and reconsider if you want to provide them. But before I even accepted the offer to replace in, I had read the thread and flagged you as possible scum for the way you completely brushed off all the work others were putting into things. And it wasn't like you were putting a lot of work into scumhunting yourself to provide an example of what you were expecting others to do. I always take umbrage when someone is putting a lot of work into posting and someone else pooh poohs it and refuses to engage.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Somberbrero posted:

And acting opposite another player is scummy, then?

No, but your posting so far hasn't really thrilled me!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I've hit that weird point where I want to argue more but until hearing from the people I've cased (Little Mac, Meinberg, PMom) I don't really know what to post about.

Somber - besides JJ, is there anyone else you're suspicious of?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

I've hit that weird point where I want to argue more but until hearing from the people I've cased (Little Mac, Meinberg, PMom) I don't really know what to post about.

Somber - besides JJ, is there anyone else you're suspicious of?

Not really, but I do remember I had a couple points I wanted to go over last night. I'll do a quick read. I wish there was more to push because as it is I'm going to be lunched.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

King Burgundy posted:

I absolutely remember. It was my first game as scum and I'm still sad that our flawless scum victory happened with a whimper at the end there because town gave up doing anything. I was expecting you to bring it up at some point and am surprised it took this long. :) Are you saying that your personal meta is to be completely unhelpful when discussing setup spec unless you are scum? If so, I'm totally willing to look at some examples of that and reconsider if you want to provide them. But before I even accepted the offer to replace in, I had read the thread and flagged you as possible scum for the way you completely brushed off all the work others were putting into things. And it wasn't like you were putting a lot of work into scumhunting yourself to provide an example of what you were expecting others to do. I always take umbrage when someone is putting a lot of work into posting and someone else pooh poohs it and refuses to engage.

I think the issue here is that you are of the opinion that there's Town setup speculation and Scum setup speculation. On day one, I think setup speculation is almost always anti-town behavior regardless of alignment. The different system here does not change that. I'm interested in lunching scum and none of the work presented helped accomplish that. In fact I'd be willing to say that it has significantly set back discussion.

I also don't see how your argument makes any sense for me as scum. You know that laziness is not indicative of alignment. You may be annoyed at my play but I don't see how you can actually think that I'm scum because of it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Epsilon Plus posted:

No, but your posting so far hasn't really thrilled me!

I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say, Epsilon. Should I make my posting more exciting by emphasizing random words, like in a comic book, as to thrill you?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say, Epsilon. Should I make my posting more exciting by emphasizing random words, like in a comic book, as to thrill you?
Anyone want to explain why we haven't lynched Somber yet?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can you explain Epsilon's vote to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Because the fact that there is such a bandwagon on Somber (while Mac's, Meinberg's and PMom's relative lurkiness go unquestioned) on D1 is suspicious. At least, that's my answer.

• Locked thread