Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Murmur Twin posted:

Byers and JJ are trying to defend you :shrug:

I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Meinberg posted:

That's not how probability works.

My Kentuckian family disagrees. We're all due to hit our numbers any day now.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I haven't seen a case that suggests that a no lynch isn't the best way to go today, I've claimed my actions, and there's no conversation going on right now. I'm taking my meds and going to bed; I won't be around at deadline tonight.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

:zombie:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Whoops forgot the deadline. Byers was vanilla town, I'll resolve the night in a sec.

Byers2142 posted:

Confirmed. Town. :colbert:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The Carpet Shark posted:

Here you go you big baby

This is how the terrorists win, CShark.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

To repeat:

Byers2142 posted:

Confirmed. Town. :colbert:

MT, you were town champ these last three days.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't think this is true actually. From what I could see it didn't matter if town agreed to share info or keep it hidden, as long as town agreed. If the town finished the debate and focused their energy on the actual scumhunting part of mafia, I think this game would have been shorter.

The problem is that you implied there were consequences (which there weren't) which made people hesitate, but the right play was sharing. Once Ernie flipped, for instance, that immediately confirmed three town players. That's powerful, and we kept running into the argument of "something bad will happen." I disagree that actual scumhunting would have been really effective in this game, because there were too many novel parts to it. Unfortunately, you're never going to get usual scum behavior in a game like this until we've collectively got a few under our belts. Until then, testing the systems is what we should be doing, both as scum and town.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Little Mac posted:

This sounds neat but do you confirm those first three players to each other? That's easily felled by an early claim and you confirm upwards of six or nine people.

This is key. If you can determine alignment due to mechanics, you have to treat it as extra cops. If I were you, MMM, I'd remove the part about scum not being able to pass to scum. It's too much to try to balance around.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

Also, I was completely shocked when Byers flipped town. After I cased him I felt like I was sooo right and that result left me questioning everything in my head the next day (while I was offline).

Part of the problem there was I was asleep when most of that happened. It turned the case into a vacuum chamber, because there was no counter to it, and cases that get no defense or counter arguments never leave doubts in your head. When I left, we had something like two votes for a no lynch and I think wall might have been voting me, and that's it. Because it all happened after, there's no real way to prevent that mislynch.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

No way.

If scum can pass to scum, they will control all the ballots in short order.

If you leave it as is, though, it becomes cop results as scum flip. I don't see a fair way to balance against "One scum flipped, three town are now confirmed."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

This was definitely a crude mechanic. It solves an obvious problem (scum gathering votes) but leaves itself open in other ways. I had other fixes for this (scum cannot have the same ballot more than twice in a row, you cannot pass the ballot to the person who passed to you, etc) but they all required changing other parts of the voting mechanic that I went with the simplest one because once again, it was more of an experiment than an experimental game.

Yeah, I get that, no worries. I'm not mad about it, just saying I think that's the biggest place that needs adjustment.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

I don't disagree that there are issues. We didn't see them really while we were alive thanks to some low cooperation and a few poor choices, but we very easily could have.

But allowing the scum pass would actually guarantee a problem. They would never lose ballots. Even when successfully cuddled they would still be passing them to their group. And they'd slowly accumulate extras. Like how you kept passing Ernie ballots and I kept cringing inwardly. :) I didn't want to say anything in the room since Ernie was in there but I was like, noooooo.

I figured out Ernie was probably scum D3, unfortunately I'd given him roleblocks each night previous...

Oh, and one last point. If it'd been a four scum team, town lost the game because they didn't no lynch in MYLO. That was how close it was, and that's why one extra night was so important.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I felt bad when byers said I hated people who pmed me their votes. I just told him I preferred to have them all in one place.

Oh, yeah! Everyone, that was a deliberate lie on my part. MMM never said he hated people who did that, I said that so that hopefully people wouldn't get lazy and start just using PM. I was afraid if I played that straight, people would go, "Oh, I can just use PMs?" and bury MMM in them.

Sorry, MMM, that was on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I purposely went through the ballot form instead of the PMs because of that - needing to put in like 8 verification codes per day got annoying! :argh:

You're welcome, MMM, my plan worked.

• Locked thread