Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What ammo do you guys use for HD? I've been using #1 buck but it's hard to find ammo.

I keep my bump in the night gun loaded with slugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Well attempt number 1 with soaking in PB blaster and a hair dryer to remove the choke was a failure. This weekend i'm going to take it to a buddy with a workshop and see if a heatgun/vice/someone stronger can get it out. I'm guessing a quarter might not be strong enough though and i'll need to buy a choke wrench.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Crunkjuice posted:

Well attempt number 1 with soaking in PB blaster and a hair dryer to remove the choke was a failure. This weekend i'm going to take it to a buddy with a workshop and see if a heatgun/vice/someone stronger can get it out. I'm guessing a quarter might not be strong enough though and i'll need to buy a choke wrench.

They're not super expensive, and I imagine you can find a shotgun buddy who'll let you use one. I don't know whether the notch patterns make an appreciable difference between wrenches.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Crunkjuice posted:

When trying to remove a sight from a Sig police trade in, I had success with sticking the slide in the freezer. I get that may not work with a full sized shotgun, but is it cold enough outside where you are?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Alarbus posted:

When trying to remove a sight from a Sig police trade in, I had success with sticking the slide in the freezer. I get that may not work with a full sized shotgun, but is it cold enough outside where you are?

Dallas, and we are getting another freeze tonight. I'll toss it outside sealed in a trashbag to prevent moisture problems. Can't hurt anyways.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Crunkjuice posted:

Dallas, and we are getting another freeze tonight. I'll toss it outside sealed in a trashbag to prevent moisture problems. Can't hurt anyways.

I'm in Dallas(Carrollton) and have a heatgun. If you want to meet up I bet the heatgun would do it. It freed up a screw on a gun I have that was stuck so well that it broke a screwdriver.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

I'm in Dallas(Carrollton) and have a heatgun. If you want to meet up I bet the heatgun would do it. It freed up a screw on a gun I have that was stuck so well that it broke a screwdriver.

You must have had a cheap rear end screwdriver, a bolt/screw should snap before any tool (unless it's cheap chinese poo poo with poor metal quality)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

z06ck posted:

You must have had a cheap rear end screwdriver, a bolt/screw should snap before any tool (unless it's cheap chinese poo poo with poor metal quality)

Grace USA isn't a cheap rear end screwdriver but I do think they're designed to fail before they damage screws. In any case it was a lot of force.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

Gracias. If I can't get it out in the morning after the freeze I'll give you a shout sometime next week. I'm in Plano so that should be easy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Crunkjuice posted:

Gracias. If I can't get it out in the morning after the freeze I'll give you a shout sometime next week. I'm in Plano so that should be easy.

Just send me a pm whenever! But hopefully the cold takes care of it tonight and it's a non issue.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

B33rChiller posted:

Nice one. I suggest the OP informs people that they should just get an A300 Outlander

For clays shooting and hunting it's the high water mark of gun for the money.

It's a thoroughly modern shotgun design without any extra bells and whistles commonly available for $600-$800.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I had a polychoke that was rusted frozen. A good soaking in Kroil and the judicious application of a propane torch worked it loose enough that I was able to eventually unscrew it by hand (granted, with the help of an industrial vice with soft jaws).

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Thinking about it I would weld a 1/4 impact driver to a stamped choke wrench and go to town on a stuck choke after 3 days of soaking in you industrial penetrating oil of choice. The choke is 17-4 ph steel so it will be fine.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Here's a teaser for an incoming box thread. Dad finally fulfilled a lifelong dream with this one.

Goddamn, is this a pretty shotgun.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I've been mainly focusing on buying a 930 as my next shotgun. This version here seems to be a great deal, honestly, and exactly what I want. But all the talk of other models and such has me rethinking it.

Although, it seems like an entry level way to get into the shotgun games and hunting, and if I really get into it, I could put it + cash towards a good O/U shotgun that'd ultimately be better for both.

If I were to get a shotgun for potential turkey hunting, clay games, and mostly goofing off with at the range, what should I get?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

QuarkMartial posted:

I've been mainly focusing on buying a 930 as my next shotgun. This version here seems to be a great deal, honestly, and exactly what I want. But all the talk of other models and such has me rethinking it.

Although, it seems like an entry level way to get into the shotgun games and hunting, and if I really get into it, I could put it + cash towards a good O/U shotgun that'd ultimately be better for both.

If I were to get a shotgun for potential turkey hunting, clay games, and mostly goofing off with at the range, what should I get?

The only reason to buy a 930 is 3 gun.

Get the basic Beretta A300 instead for clays and hunting, it's about $100 more. The 930 admittedly has flaws that make it less than ideal for hunting like not liking dirt and being daily rust prone.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Here's a teaser for an incoming box thread. Dad finally fulfilled a lifelong dream with this one.

Goddamn, is this a pretty shotgun.

oh man

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

"I'm cisgender heterosexual white American male.

Fuck you for telling me what "my part" is."

- B4TBG on why they can't be criticized by minorities for being wrong because

Exciting Lemon

Soupisgood posted:

I keep my bump in the night gun loaded with slugs.

Seriously? Why?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

QuarkMartial posted:

A300 and a meadows vari brite sight is under 750. You also have the franchi affinity at that price point. They are really soft shouting compared to OU and pumps. Lots of choke options for the older beretta mobil choke threads as well which let's you buy those crazy turkey chokes for cheap.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

It does look like a really nice gun. Speaking of chokes, I assume they're easy to find, right?

What about the spacers and shims with wood stocks? The overview videos I've seen mention them coming with the polymer stocks, but haven't said much about wood. I know wood isn't ideal for a field gun, but I still plan to go with wood since it'll mostly be a range gun.

I'd forgotten about the rust prone nature of the 930 that I've heard a lot of people talk about. I'll put it like this: I don't always clean my guns after a trip to the range, if at all, so if a gun can't run when it's a little dirty or it'll rust up after a trip to the range, then I don't want it. Of course, it goes without saying that if there's any water involved, it's getting a full detail cleaning.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

QuarkMartial posted:

It does look like a really nice gun. Speaking of chokes, I assume they're easy to find, right?

What about the spacers and shims with wood stocks? The overview videos I've seen mention them coming with the polymer stocks, but haven't said much about wood. I know wood isn't ideal for a field gun, but I still plan to go with wood since it'll mostly be a range gun.

I'd forgotten about the rust prone nature of the 930 that I've heard a lot of people talk about. I'll put it like this: I don't always clean my guns after a trip to the range, if at all, so if a gun can't run when it's a little dirty or it'll rust up after a trip to the range, then I don't want it. Of course, it goes without saying that if there's any water involved, it's getting a full detail cleaning.

The wood stocks don't have spacers but it shouldn't be an issue as there are narrow and thicker recoil pad options to adjust 1/4-1/2" or so.

Wood isn't too big of a deal on a field gun if you don't get too silly with them. It's definitely a better looking gun.

28" is far from the ideal turkey barrel of 20-24" but it's not a deal breaker either. Part of the cheapness is only one barrel length.

The A300 comes with IC, Mod and Full chokes and Mobile Choke is super common.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously? Why?

Hates his neighbors/family as much as anyone breaking into his house?

The worst home defense set up I even heard of was a PGO pump shotgun with three beanbag rounds followed by two slugs.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The wood stocks don't have spacers but it shouldn't be an issue as there are narrow and thicker recoil pad options to adjust 1/4-1/2" or so.

Wood isn't too big of a deal on a field gun if you don't get too silly with them. It's definitely a better looking gun.

28" is far from the ideal turkey barrel of 20-24" but it's not a deal breaker either. Part of the cheapness is only one barrel length.

The A300 comes with IC, Mod and Full chokes and Mobile Choke is super common.

Would it still run with a shorter barrel? I'm not averse to buying a second barrel and chopping it down to length.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

QuarkMartial posted:

Would it still run with a shorter barrel? I'm not averse to buying a second barrel and chopping it down to length.

It uses the same gas system as the A400 which comes with a 24" barrel so I can't see why not. Not to mention a turkey load would cycling in anything because the loads are so heavy.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously? Why?

Goddamned bears.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Odd thing, Dad won the auction on it, then found a Model 12 with a Simmons rib and a birds-eye maple English stock on it that he likes better. So, he decided that I can buy the Parker, and he's keeping the Model 12. (I was originally going to buy the Model 12 myself, since it's set up like a 12g version of my Simmons 20g) Fortunately, he got such a good deal on the Parker that I'm willing and able to splurge on it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and is from 1935/36 without Damascus barrels, so I'm hoping I can shoot it with modern ammo.

Here's the Model 12 he's bidding on, just for fun.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Birdseye Maple is so underused on long guns, and straight stocks are just the bees knees. That 12 looks beautiful, I'm not sure who's getting the better gun it's you, but it's drat close

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Birdseye Maple is so underused on long guns, and straight stocks are just the bees knees. That 12 looks beautiful, I'm not sure who's getting the better gun it's you, but it's drat close

There's Browning BL22's out there with maple stocks, and I really want one. I love the 12, but Jesus, that Parker Bros trap gun is loving nice. It looks like the wood's been refinished at some point, which is what kept the serious bidders away from it, but I'm just fine with that. Honestly, it's a good thing I got it, as Dad was already talking about filling in the single tiny chip on the stock and "polishing it up good". He has a problem.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

There's Browning BL22's out there with maple stocks, and I really want one.

There are very few guns that I feel I "need," but you have just given me one to put on that list. It helps that a BL-22 has been on that list for years anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004

"I'm cisgender heterosexual white American male.

Fuck you for telling me what "my part" is."

- B4TBG on why they can't be criticized by minorities for being wrong because

Exciting Lemon

SFH1989 posted:

The worst home defense set up I even heard of was a PGO pump shotgun with three beanbag rounds followed by two slugs.

That doesn't sound like a recipe for disaster at all.

thermobollocks posted:

Goddamned bears.

He lives in San Francisco?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Biscuit Hider

Flatland Crusoe posted:

sporting clays stuff

To add to this, the courses on Vancouver Island are all over the board in their layout. Some with 10 stations, another with only 5. I've seen the mentioned rabbit followed by an overhead. I've seen clays bounced off a trampoline. Some with 3 machines at each station. Also a big variation in target sizes. Mini, midi, standard, rabbit targets. All of these are different sizes. It's a really variable game, different each and every time I've shot it. The club in Courtenay has taken to running 200 target days. You've got to hustle to get 100 in before lunch. Others do 100 targets in the day. There really isn't any strict rule to the layout. Seems like the only hard and fast rules are safety rules. That is, unless you get into serious competition stuff like FITASC.

There hasn't been a lot of talk about shotgun fit up in here just yet. I would suggest that anyone considering getting a new shotgun try as many as possible before dropping serious money on one. $100 for a single shot will get you a gun to get you started with trap, and will do you fine, but you don't want to be the guy who drops a couple grand on a trap model O/U, only to discover you really prefer skeet, and have now bought a gun wholly unsuitable to your new favourite game. Get out to your local club, try out all the games, ask to try other people's guns, and see how each different model fits you, and learn about what guns are good for what application. Clubs will sometimes have loaner guns for people without a gun of their own, and most everyone I've come across has been happy to let me give their gun a try (apart from the serious competitors with $newcar priced guns).

ZenMastaT posted:

I like skeet because in my experience it is more social than trap, less regimented and doubles are more fun than singles. Plus the birds are all a lot closer in than in trap - if you want to teach someone to break clays for the first ever time, have them stand at position 1 and just launch high house after high house until they hit one. It's probably one of the easiest shots in all clay sports and nailing the double from that position is one of the simplest ways for a new player to build confidence and enjoy themselves.

I almost totally agree with this, with the exception that we usually start rookies with low house from station 7. Not really a lot of difference there though.

Thanks you twos for the big effortposts on clay games. They are my favourite pass-time. If any of y'all should find yourself heading up this way, I'd be happy to bring yah along for some clay busting fun.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I'd buy an A300 but I'll be damned it only comes with a 28" barrel. This is a deal breaker for me. What is the next best choice in the same-ish price range as the Beretta with a 24 or 26 inch barrel option? 28 is too big. It doesn't hold or point right for me with such an obnoxiously long barrel.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously? Why?

Buckshot will tear through the walls anyway, everyone in the house sleeps in one side of it and if my house gets broken into it's probably my neighbors anyway. Plus, brick walls and a concrete wall between my house and the next should stop a slug.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

SFH1989 posted:

Back this up, please. Because gel testing frequently indicates otherwise with foster slugs in many brands:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=387090

They are soft lead and, especially in 20 gauge, often fragment leading to limited penetration compared to expectation.

skitzed
Oct 8, 2004
I don't know what I'm doing.

If I wanted to pick up a Beretta semiauto for HD purposes, is there a reason I should stick with the 1301 tactical/comp over their A300/A400's? I personally prefer a bead to ring sights on a shotgun, so I would likely be looking at the comp. Is there a reason the A300/A400 is unsuitable to HD use?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

skitzed posted:

Is there a reason the A300/A400 is unsuitable to HD use?

A300/A400s probably have too long a barrel length for handy usage in home defense. You really don't want anything longer than 20", though 18.5" is the better preference.

skitzed
Oct 8, 2004

SadWhaleFamily posted:

A300/A400s probably have too long a barrel length for handy usage in home defense. You really don't want anything longer than 20", though 18.5" is the better preference.

Looks like the shortest barrel length on the comp is 21" while the A300 can be as short as 24" and the A400 26". I think 21" would be just fine, but 24" might be pushing it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Back to foster slugs in a 12 gauge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuVkXLreWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not a personal fan of 12 gauge and lean toward #1 or #3 buck in 16 or 20 gauges, but I can't say that 12 gauge slugs are a bad idea. Brassfetcher calibrates his gel, Tntoutdoors calibrates his simtest, and other tests have shown that overpenetration is not a thing with many slugs.

skitzed
Oct 8, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'm not a personal fan of 12 gauge and lean toward #1 or #3 buck in 16 or 20 gauges, but I can't say that 12 gauge slugs are a bad idea. Brassfetcher calibrates his gel, Tntoutdoors calibrates his simtest, and other tests have shown that overpenetration is not a thing with many slugs.

Perhaps the difference is the slug's interaction with drywall as opposed to gel? I know some of the more famous older drywall tests indicated that slugs were a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I don't know how many interior walls are in the average goon's home, but I am looking at two at the most here for four sheets of drywall. Any of my handguns will cut through those like butter and TFR has zero problem throwing G19/TLR as a standard home defense gun.