Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

So I think I'm finally going to invest in a decent shotgun for clays so I can stop renting and borrowing for clay games. Was looking at O/U's but decided a semi auto is more practical and affordable for me. Looking at the Beretta A300 Outlander Sporting which I can get for right around $1k after transfer and everything. This is about the upper end of what I want to spend. Anyone have any experience with that particular gun or know something else I should consider before I go for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

I think flatland has an a300 and really likes it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The A300 is the best value in semi-auto shotguns going. The only other thing in its class/range worth looking at is a Benelli M2, which you can find around the $1k range used but if you're going new the A300 is extremely hard to beat for clays and hunting semi-autos on price. I have an M2 and I've shot and handled Flatland's A300 and I wouldn't be unhappy with either.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Another A300 owner here, deff the best pick for an entry level clays gun.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Thanks for the replies, sounds like the winner! Got one ordered, now to find a customer who wants to go break some clays so I can try it out on company time and money when it comes in

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

My clays gun is an AL391, so I also think the A300 is a great choice, for the reasons mentioned.

I keep being tempted by O/Us though. My buddy has a nice Beretta 682 that i enjoy shooting.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Tyro posted:

My clays gun is an AL391, so I also think the A300 is a great choice, for the reasons mentioned.

AL391 is a good gun too, shame they are not still being made.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjThckYqBQ

Pistol grip only shotguns are Bad, do not get one until you're in the level of guns of "ha ha this is a dumb gimmick and a goofy way to turn money into noise". And even then, they're just genuinely unpleasant.

Look at this guy who's never experienced the joy of running a 20-gauge Tac-14.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Benelli Nova is a way better choice if you want to get a 12 ga as your first gun. And you can find it at a lot of the big box sporting goods stores.

Ammo, though, well, good luck there.

I've come to peace with the fact that the specific Mossberg model I'm looking for is unavailable for the foreseeable future.

The Benelli Nova caught my eye, but when I dug into it, there were a bunch of old posts in other forums saying that replacement parts were really expensive and difficult to source.
Anyone know if that's still the case?

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

infrared35 posted:

Look at this guy who's never experienced the joy of running a 20-gauge Tac-14.

She's right though, enjoyment is secondary to a practical arm and a PGO shotgun is not anything close to practical.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Hell yeah. Now to source some 12ga somewhere

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Check the Federal website early in the morning. Shipping is slow and prices aren't great but aren't "gently caress you" either. And unlike handgun or rifle ammo, it's not terribly hard to fill up an order beyond the free shipping mark.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I'll do that, thanks!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Check the Federal website early in the morning. Shipping is slow and prices aren't great but aren't "gently caress you" either. And unlike handgun or rifle ammo, it's not terribly hard to fill up an order beyond the free shipping mark.

Was able to grab some this morning, thanks again!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Iím still looking for someone who ships to NJ with Hevishot in stock. Not easy.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ophidian posted:

THats ok, you've got lots of time till halloween

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Ophidian posted:

How far are you from NY? You could just ship to an FFL there and pick it up.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

wesleywillis posted:

THats ok, you've got lots of time till halloween

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

It's a reference to some forums insanity about a dude who "needed" to defend his pumpkins. I don't have the link handy but it's a wild ride.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I know, I was going to but thought I'd spice it up a bit

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Shrieking Muppet posted:

How far are you from NY? You could just ship to an FFL there and pick it up.

I can also just ship it to the Delaware cabelas but Iím trying to avoid driving 3 hours round trip for a box of shells.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Why are mossberg barrels so expensive? I'm trying to get a 590 or 835 compatible barrel, unrifled, any length over 18" and I haven't found anything under $140 + shipping. If anyone has a good place to buy please share it.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

Why are mossberg barrels so expensive? I'm trying to get a 590 or 835 compatible barrel, unrifled, any length over 18" and I haven't found anything under $140 + shipping. If anyone has a good place to buy please share it.

Have you checked Numrich? They might have some. Also check eBay.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

Yeah, ebay was the cheapest I had found at $140 + shipping. Doesn't look like Numrich has them at all.

Someone mentioned getting them super cheap a year-ish back at https://www.havlinsales.com/, and they do have some amazingly cheap barrels but none for a 590 right now

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Yeah, $140 is about what a Mossberg barrel costs, unfortunately

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, ebay was the cheapest I had found at $140 + shipping. Doesn't look like Numrich has them at all.

Someone mentioned getting them super cheap a year-ish back at https://www.havlinsales.com/, and they do have some amazingly cheap barrels but none for a 590 right now

I love that site. "NOS Remington 9200 barrels." Cool, what the gently caress is a 9200?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Mossberg, not Remington. The 9200 was a semiauto they discontinued in 2001.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Dang dicknose don't tuck that money under your eyelids!

Pillbug

The Benelli m4 is worth the money, right?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If I were starting from scratch I'd be taking a hard look at the Beretta 1301 Tac as well. And either the Aridus Industries upgrades that let you use a Magpul stock/forend or just getting the Langdon edition that has them out of the box.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Best shotgun I've ever used, but I don't have Benelli money.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Rat posted:

If I were starting from scratch I'd be taking a hard look at the Beretta 1301 Tac as well. And either the Aridus Industries upgrades that let you use a Magpul stock/forend or just getting the Langdon edition that has them out of the box.

Yeah, a buddy of mine has an M4 and it's pretty cool but it's also large and heavy, almost like a babby SPAS-12. For my money, the Beretta 1301 is where it's at, either the Tac or Comp (I have a Comp). Essentially the same gas system as the M4 but in a more normal shotgun form factor.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, a buddy of mine has an M4 and it's pretty cool but it's also large and heavy, almost like a babby SPAS-12. For my money, the Beretta 1301 is where it's at, either the Tac or Comp (I have a Comp). Essentially the same gas system as the M4 but in a more normal shotgun form factor.

The Benelli form factor is part of why I want it, though Iím also truly surprised itís NY legal with that pistol grip.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You can get a pistol grip stock for the 1301, Mesa makes it iirc

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

The Benelli form factor is part of why I want it, though I’m also truly surprised it’s NY legal with that pistol grip.

Maybe because it's tube fed instead of a detachable box magazine?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Toshokan posted:

Maybe because it's tube fed instead of a detachable box magazine?

Thatís definitely part of it but I thought it had enough banned features regardless to get banned. But nope! Perfectly legal.

E: think Iím gonna go with the M4 over the 1301, the M4 is two pounds heavier and I like my shotguns on the weighty side.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2021

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Pistol grips aren't a banned feature on semi-auto shotguns in NY. Ironically thumbhole stocks are, however.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

darnon posted:

Pistol grips aren't a banned feature on semi-auto shotguns in NY. Ironically thumbhole stocks are, however.

Yeah, when I was reading about it I saw that and was just completely baffled. NY gun laws loving suck because a lot of them were hastily written to be the first ones passed after the sandy hook shooting. Thereís all sorts of gaps.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thatís definitely part of it but I thought it had enough banned features regardless to get banned. But nope! Perfectly legal.

E: think Iím gonna go with the M4 over the 1301, the M4 is two pounds heavier and I like my shotguns on the weighty side.
If you add the Aridus/Magpul furniture (and you'll need the fore end if you want to mount a light) and a +2 Nordic extension, it's going to push the gun a lot closer to M4 weight. I tried out the Magpul furniture, and IMO it completely alters the lightweight nature of the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Less felt recoil though. I noticed a big diff going from the OEM furniture to the Magpul stock.

Admittedly I feel a little conflicted about my 1301 Comp. It runs, but I haven't vibed with it. Haven't gotten attached. I think it's at least partially because it's a game gun and not something anyone would ever use to clear a house. Stupid internal bias, but I can't shake it anyways.